AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-12-30, 16:43   Link #1
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

When the Seacats Cry

Welcome to my teaparty!

Just in time for Winter Comiket 2011! After a year and a half of working on it, I've finished writing, programming, and most importantly bug-testing my series of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Chiru fangames. So I believe it's finally time to release this for the public's reading pleasure.

These games contain Episode 8 spoilers, so please read the official Umineko games first! Now that Witch-hunt has translated EP8 in English (which I am very thankful for, excellent work WH) I can release this game without worrying it may spoil some of you.

Installing it is just like installing a Witch-Hunt translation patch. Just place the folder in your Umineko EP8 folder and click "onscripter.exe" to begin playing.

The download link contains a game that has four fangames inside.

Fan-EP1: Forgery of the Golden Witch
Fan-EP2: Trick of the Golden Witch
Fan-EP3: Inquisition of the Golden Witch
Fan-EP4: Board of the Golden Witch

Please read them in order. At the end of each game there is a tea party to be used as an answer session regarding the mysteries presented in each one.

While the first two games are standard Umineko fangames, the third is an interactive adventure game and the fourth, well let's keep that a surprise for now.

I made these games so that people will have fun playing them. If you have fun solving the mysteries, please do your best to solve them. If you enjoy reading fantasy scenes, I hope you like the ones I wrote. If it's romance you like, I even put in a little bit of that too.

Whether it's mystery, fantasy, or romance you like, please enjoy reading these four games.

Old video preview: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVJX--z6D30

Download here

Mirror download

Again, special thanks to Witch-Hunt for bringing the original series into the English-speaking community. And special thanks to 07th Expansion for making it in the first place.
Also, special thanks to Jan-Poo. Witches & Woodlands is what inspired me to start making this, so please check out that too!

Last edited by SeagullCrazy; 2014-07-11 at 12:25. Reason: updated website link
SeagullCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 18:26   Link #2
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Awesome! Playing right away, the fourth wall breaking video preview is enough for me.

(lol @ the opening )
Old 2011-12-30, 22:02   Link #3
goatkun

This game sucks, you shouldn't play it.

(no really, give this man a chance)
goatkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 00:57   Link #4
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I've already read the whole thing, and every Umineko fan should give this a shot! I really love it!

Also, SeagullCrazy you knob, get the F on Yahoo again, I haven't seen you in months!
Old 2011-12-31, 04:49   Link #5
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I plan to download and keep it till i finishes Ep 8 (or the anime equivalent if it's ever released). Is there any problem with my plan....?
Old 2011-12-31, 05:19   Link #6
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Also, SeagullCrazy you knob, get the F on Yahoo again, I haven't seen you in months!
I'll do that more often now that I'm less preoccupied.~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I plan to download and keep it till i finishes Ep 8 (or the anime equivalent if it's ever released). Is there any problem with my plan....?
No problems at all, although I wouldn't bet on a Chiru anime any time soon.
Old 2012-01-07, 00:15   Link #7
VNDan
Trapped in a Logic Error

Just finished EP1-3 and I've got to say that this was amazing.

This is probably the only umineko fangame I'd ever want to play again.

Anyway just wondering. In EP3 was there anyway to use the telephone? There was so many of them I assumed you would get some numbers by the end but I could never find them. Also, about the chemicals. Is there anything you can actually do with those?

The reason I ask is because I still haven't gone to the EP3teaparty. I'm trying to make a solid theory before learning the answer etc. There is really too much to do in EP3 and I got distracted the first playthrough.

In any case, amazing job.
VNDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 01:21   Link #8
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNDan View Post
Just finished EP1-3 and I've got to say that this was amazing.

This is probably the only umineko fangame I'd ever want to play again.

Anyway just wondering. In EP3 was there anyway to use the telephone? There was so many of them I assumed you would get some numbers by the end but I could never find them. Also, about the chemicals. Is there anything you can actually do with those?

The reason I ask is because I still haven't gone to the EP3teaparty. I'm trying to make a solid theory before learning the answer etc. There is really too much to do in EP3 and I got distracted the first playthrough.

In any case, amazing job.
Spoiler for Fan-EP3:

Also, I added a new video to the first post showing more than just the prologue. I think it shows off the rest of the game a lot better than the previous one.
Old 2012-01-13, 03:39   Link #9
Mr.Q

I picked this up a few days ago and I'm enjoying it. Just wanted to drop a line about the opening videos.

They make onscripter crash when they play. This could have something to do with my computer setup, but when I replaced your openings with the original openings, it played fine and everything was wonderful. I reencoded your openings to 640x480 resolution (yours were 720x480) to match the originals and that stopped the crashes as well. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not. Why are they encoded so poorly to begin with? Interlace and low bitrate really take the fun out of watching them. =(

Aside from my complaints: I don't know if you made them yourself, but they are pretty hilarious. So if you did, big thumbs up to you!

I'll post a full opinion when I finish reading the series.
Mr.Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 06:32   Link #10
Azule
Golden Witch

Send a message via AIM to Azule Send a message via MSN to Azule
I've replayed Episode 3 god knows how many times now. I keep seeming to get myself hurt. >_>
Old 2012-01-16, 20:42   Link #11
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
I picked this up a few days ago and I'm enjoying it. Just wanted to drop a line about the opening videos.

They make onscripter crash when they play. This could have something to do with my computer setup, but when I replaced your openings with the original openings, it played fine and everything was wonderful. I reencoded your openings to 640x480 resolution (yours were 720x480) to match the originals and that stopped the crashes as well. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not. Why are they encoded so poorly to begin with? Interlace and low bitrate really take the fun out of watching them. =(

Aside from my complaints: I don't know if you made them yourself, but they are pretty hilarious. So if you did, big thumbs up to you!

I'll post a full opinion when I finish reading the series.
Hm, that's interesting. I know someone else who had a similar problem, but I don't know what caused it.

As for the videos... my friend Genji made them, and gave them to me as some other video format. I did the converting to MPEG, with one of those free video converter programs. Can you send me the re-encoded versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azule
I've replayed Episode 3 god knows how many times now. I keep seeming to get myself hurt. >_>
Just to be safe, you do know that, until you read the entire EP3 tea party, you can only go down the same route you took in your original playthrough of the main game?

In other words if you got a bad end you'll keep getting one no matter what until you solve the mystery. This was done to prevent cheating by going back and making other choices. EP3 is by far not an easy mystery to solve, although it can be done if you make the right choices.
Old 2012-01-17, 01:37   Link #12
F. Velvet
Marionette

OH MY BEATRICE! You totally convinced me of reading this by only seeing the opening! It was astonishing.
I'll start it right away after I completely finish "Witches & Woodlands" from Jan-Poo, I still have to solve the riddle of the chest.

By the way, did you make it all by yourself? (Not only the plot, but graphics and ONScripter use overall).

As soon as I start reading I'll give you my opinions about it c:
F. Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 18:23   Link #13
Mr.Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagullCrazy View Post
Hm, that's interesting. I know someone else who had a similar problem, but I don't know what caused it.

As for the videos... my friend Genji made them, and gave them to me as some other video format. I did the converting to MPEG, with one of those free video converter programs. Can you send me the re-encoded versions?
I'll do that if you want to but I'd rather talk to you about how to reencode them to MPG properly. If the original files are nice quality you can keep them looking nice and not have all the hardcoded interlace and macroblocking.

I'll send you a PM with links when I upload my recodes somewhere.
Mr.Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 18:34   Link #14
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Velvet View Post
By the way, did you make it all by yourself? (Not only the plot, but graphics and ONScripter use overall).
I did all of the writing and programming, for the most part. There was one part in the third game where Jan-Poo helped me out, but aside from that it was all done by me. I wrote everything up until the fourth game, that's when I took the story in a different direction where I actually couldn't write everything myself to convey the story properly. But credit is properly given where it is due.

For the sprites, I did all of the image editing myself up until the third game, where a few sprites were drawn by some friends of mine, although most of the custom images were still made by me. The fourth game, again being vastly different, was when a large amount of custom graphics were used, most of them made by my friends, not me.
Old 2012-02-08, 14:30   Link #15
Drifloon

I'm in the middle of Episode 1's tea party and I'm really loving this, but I have noticed quite a glaring glitch: whenever I load the game, everyone's profile status reverts to default and all the TIPS disappear until someone's status changes or a new TIP is added. Is there any way of fixing that?
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 21:25   Link #16
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
I'm in the middle of Episode 1's tea party and I'm really loving this, but I have noticed quite a glaring glitch: whenever I load the game, everyone's profile status reverts to default and all the TIPS disappear until someone's status changes or a new TIP is added. Is there any way of fixing that?
Hmm. Well I'll probably be able to figure it out but for right now there's no way for anyone else to fix it. It's definitely a programming mistake on my part, but this one isn't as bad as it could have been.
Old 2012-02-25, 10:45   Link #17
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Also, your usage of probability is poor.
Spoiler:

One other thing. I put a "gameid" line at the very top of 0.txt, and that seemed to fix the "profile status reverts to default" bug.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 18:15   Link #18
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Also, your usage of probability is poor.
Spoiler:

One other thing. I put a "gameid" line at the very top of 0.txt, and that seemed to fix the "profile status reverts to default" bug.
I never liked probability, lol.

Spoiler:

That "gameid" thing is interesting; I see why that would fix it now. Thank you.
Old 2012-02-25, 19:39   Link #19
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Regarding the problem of videos not playing, start by gathering raw information. I suggest:
1) Operating system
2) Does the game crash when it tries to show the video?
3) Will Windows Media Player open the file?

For me:
1) Windows 7.
2) op1 and op2, yes. (Haven't seen seacats_ending.mpg)
3) op1 and op2, no. (seacats_ending.mpg, yes).
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 08:58   Link #20
TheWitch0fDivinty

Spoiler for PLEASE A TRANSLATION!:

Though From episode 2 you went from okish to decent. I wish I could understand proigramming DX But it's useless if one doesn't know how to draw. Then you have to find 'dummy spirites' and 'backgrounds' and niether of them are easy tasks.

It's worse when you don't understand math D8

Anyway I hope to see more work from you.

PS: Forgive my crappy spelling :\
TheWitch0fDivinty is offline   Reply With Quote