AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2009-07-08, 18:19   Link #1
SammiChan

Creating my own Visual Novel

Firstly it's been a while since I've been on the forums. It's good to be back =)

Now on to my question! About a year ago i took an interest into visual novel games, I played two of them to the end (freeware games that is) and i really enjoyed them. As of monday the idea of creating one of my own came to mind. I asked my boyfriend (a very good writer) to assist and he gladly agreed. What i'm after is something unique, i want to make a story that is interesting and isn't like every other story out there, because it seems to me that most of these things have the same basic construction. Which is the dating sim or typical schoolboy/schoolgirl story. My question is, how can i be unique yet still make it feel like a visual novel? I want some of the common aspects such as the ability to make choices and the romance aspect. What is it that you feel is lacking when you play these games? Whats a feature that you want to see but never seem to find?

thanks
Sammichan
SammiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 18:40   Link #2
gunshottrigun
Crazy Shrine Maiden

Send a message via AIM to gunshottrigun Send a message via MSN to gunshottrigun Send a message via Yahoo to gunshottrigun
I personally just started my own visual novel and had similar questions for myself.
I personally think the story needs to be interesting, but conveyed in a way to keep the readers attention. I like games where the player makes a lot of choices that effect the outcome of the game greatly.

Sorry I can't provide to much feedback, but good luck on your journey of making a visual novel.
gunshottrigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 18:49   Link #3
SammiChan

actually that is helpful. =) I'll remember that, and good luck with yours too.
Old 2009-07-08, 19:21   Link #4
Elvin

I've been sitting here for a while trying to answer your question, and it's pretty much impossible for me without straight out giving you one of my stories (I write for fun). What you're asking is really vague if we don't at least know the outline of what you want to do. If you're just plain looking for things that we don't see that often:

Make the main character a girl
Make her crazy awsome
Make it supernatural, with at least some creep factor.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 19:42   Link #5
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Supernatural isn't that uncommon, although psychological/suspense is a little more uncommon.

I agree with Elvin. Without a vague idea of what you want to do, it's hard to answer the question.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 19:50   Link #6
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Hmm....

As Elvin above me said, the main character in those games is hardly ever a girl, so that might make things more interesting.

And some things I don't see much/at all in visual novels:

Female delinquents
A sci-fi or fantasy theme
Flashbacks
A non-perverted leading male ._.
Reference to current world happenings
A loli
Same-sex relationships

And, thats about all I can think of right now, but keep in mind that some things I suggested may bring up some controversy.
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 19:51   Link #7
Elvin

I meant supernatural as vampires, ghosts, etc. instead of powers, but those still aren't that uncommon. Then how about a mystery?

Just a tip from a nobody: don't make a story for the sake of making a story, if you have an overactive imagination like me, you've probably imagined yourself with a more interesting life, rich and powerful, with special abilities etc. even if you've noticed it or not. You should at least fit some of those in, even if it's just something like an odd personality quirk or something (if you liked it/found it interesting, chances are others will like too).
Old 2009-07-08, 20:31   Link #8
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I remember that I talked about this with some people in the Gamefaqs forum a few months ago and I shared a story that someone had a good time to make fun of. XP

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 20:45   Link #9
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Prayer View Post
Reference to current world happenings
A loli
lolwut?
And it's hard to reference current world happenings because, the more time passes, the more obscure those references become. Plus, a lot of VNs tend to disassociate themselves with our world and tend to create isolated worlds. It's easier to suspend disbelief this way.

By the way, with the suggestions of having the main character being a girl. It'll depend on the target audience.

Also, I agree with Elvin. Writing a story is [from what I've heard, since I don't write] difficult and requires a lot of dedication, so you want the both of you to at least enjoy what you're doing. Find something you want to say or something you want to share with others. Your story will become more unique just from you adding your own personal touches and your world view.

In my opinion, anyway. I don't write.
Old 2009-07-08, 21:53   Link #10
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
lolwut?
A loli is a younger female ._.
Old 2009-07-08, 21:57   Link #11
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
A loli is a younger female ._.
I was expressing my disbelief that someone thought that loli were rare in VNs.

As far as I'm aware, most VNs have a token loli. Whether or not they have a route is.... Yes, I'm looking at you, FSN.
Old 2009-07-08, 22:09   Link #12
Elvin

Quote:
Also, I agree with Elvin. Writing a story is [from what I've heard, since I don't write] difficult and requires a lot of dedication, so you want the both of you to at least enjoy what you're doing. Find something you want to say or something you want to share with others. Your story will become more unique just from you adding your own personal touches and your world view.

In my opinion, anyway. I don't write.
That's the truth, it sometimes takes more than a year for these things, unless you have love for what you're doing you'll probably just pack it up. Altho I imagine a visual novel story's easier to get through since you don't have to describe every little detail.
Old 2009-07-08, 22:10   Link #13
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
That's the truth, it sometimes takes more than a year for these things, unless you have love for what you're doing you'll probably just pack it up. Altho I imagine a visual novel story's easier to get through since you don't have to describe every little detail.
The different routes probably make it more difficult though. I heard that FSN [or was it Clannad...?] was comparable to The Lord of the Rings.

But then, those are big-name visual novels....
Old 2009-07-08, 22:15   Link #14
Elvin

True, but a novelist has nothing to work with except words to interact with the reader's imagination. Visual novels have images and music, and even stuff like the timing of the text (jumps out like shion's laugh in higu) and its placement (middle of the screen to make it more dramatic?). Then again things like that takes skill in itself.
Old 2009-07-08, 22:16   Link #15
Blazemaker

Send a message via MSN to Blazemaker
Use themes that arent used frequently, it doesnt need to be a dating sim to be a novel.

Make characters with new dillemas, explore things that happened in your life and imagine how your characters would act in these situations.

Try to build an unique atmosphere, be it with music, graphics or writing style.

Dont run from cliché but dont abuse of it, try to make something new while using old formulas.

And put your heart in it.

From one VN writer to another =)
Blazemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 23:06   Link #16
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Quote:
I was expressing my disbelief that someone thought that loli were rare in VNs.

As far as I'm aware, most VNs have a token loli. Whether or not they have a route is.... Yes, I'm looking at you, FSN.

Really? Most visual novels I play don't have a loli ._.

Just Shuffle! and Nusery Rhyme.
Old 2009-07-08, 23:26   Link #17
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Really? Most visual novels I play don't have a loli ._.

Just Shuffle! and Nusery Rhyme.
Ummm... what other visual novels have you been playing? O_o

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 00:11   Link #18
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
Well let's name a few VN's that HAS lolis...

To Heart / To Heart 2
Yoake series
Maginal Skip
Key Series

Let's face it, Loli is an important element for VN's
Nadeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 01:18   Link #19
Kudryavka

It's just that even though most VNs have lolis, only a few make openly declare who the loli is. In some cases, the loli is only 1~2 years younger than the main cast.
Reading your opening post, it reminds me of me. I started out with doujin VNs, then moved on to commercial VNs. If you want to experience some examples of VNs that are some real works of art, in story, art, and music, I suggest Narcissu on the doujin side, and Key's/Type-Moon's works on the commercial side.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 02:15   Link #20
SammiChan

Ok i'll be a little more specific to help y'all out! We are writing a murder mystery and the main character actually IS a girl (i decided that before i read your posts lol) The only romance aspect is you get to chose a boyfriend out of two or three possible candidates.

Characters so far:
The murderer who is a small bipolar "quiet" girl who likes talking about knives
her partners in crime and good friends who are a set of male twins named phobos and demos

My target audience is people who wouldn't normally play this stuff and don't necessarily have to be hardcore anime fans to appreciate it also people who like dark or Macabre humor haha since that's how my bf and i write. So it's gonna have a chill factor...maybe some mild fan service. the story is still just starting out, since this idea struck me a few days ago i've thought about it in the past but never taken any serious action towards it.