AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-03, 23:03   Link #21
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
If I may tootle my own horn a bit, I'd count at least half of the manga we release at Mangascreener to be "good but unknown." The ones I would especially point out (that haven't already been mentioned) are Believers, G Senjou Heaven's Door, Love Roma, National Quiz, and Sexy Voice & Robo.

In the interest of fairness, there are also River's Edge from Jinmen-Juushin, Arigato and Living Game from the Hawks, and Drifting Classroom from Omanga.
Yeah, that's pretty much everything I was going to recommend! Especially Believers (about three members of a Japanese cult undergoing training on a remote island) and River's Edge (real trials of teenage life like pregnancy, drugs, bullying).

Arigato also surprised me. At first I thought it was just some pointless hentai material, but when you get past the first two chapters, you realize that's there's a lot more going on, like the breakdown of traditional sources of authority (the police, schools, and fathers).

I'll add:
Hiroki Endo's short stories (ALL of them are good.)
Zashiki Onna by Minetaro Mochizuki (Manga-Sketchbook) - the stalker story that started it all! One of the freakiest Japanese horror manga
Bloodhound by Kaoru Yuki (she is the goddess of goth bishounen)
Zipang by Kaiji Kawaguchi (mangaka of Eagle, Zipang is available in Kodansha bilingual comics and is about a modern battleship transported back to WW2 Japan)
Buddha by Osamu Tezuka (biographical manga about the Buddha, absolutely beautiful and out by Vertical Publishing)
Crayon Shin-chan - I have issues with some of ComicsOne's Americanizations of the manga, but its still frekain hilarious. Shin-chan rocks!
Iron Wok Jin from ComicsOne, cooking competitions. Cool.

The publishers ComicsOne tend to be the most ignored in the US in terms of their manga. Some of their titles are total crap but they have some gems too.
Old 2004-04-04, 00:21   Link #22
Unidentified

Houshin Engi is a great manga that not many people know about. The actual story is quite complicated, you don't know his motives till the end(I haven't seen the end in manga, only in anime which some tings in the anime were changed). The anime was shown on the I Channel and called Soul Hunter but there were as many episodes as there was volumes so there were LOTS of changes, shortening, etc... You can get the manga at www.snoopycool.com
Old 2004-04-04, 01:28   Link #23
AnimeFangirl

I cast my vote for Houshin Engi as well. And I've developed a strange fondness for Ten Carat Torte from j-comx.
Old 2004-04-04, 04:11   Link #24
Misha~su
~Tee hee hee~

Yotsubato. From the creator of Azumanga Daioh himself. Must read, comedy, life and funny little 4 year olds with green hair.
Old 2004-04-04, 04:53   Link #25
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha~su
Yotsubato. From the creator of Azumanga Daioh himself. Must read, comedy, life and funny little 4 year olds with green hair.
Ah yeah, I definitely gotta check that out. I heard it was even funnier than Azumanga Daioh.
Old 2004-04-04, 05:52   Link #26
Misha~su
~Tee hee hee~

It's kind of scary to think that there is something out there funnier than Azumanga, but considering it's from the same creator it's not so hard to believe
Old 2004-04-04, 13:04   Link #27
deedlit
the High Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
not many know about:

Angel Densetsu

Thanks for suggestion. It's really funny Although I kinda of feel sorry for the lead guy :P
Old 2004-04-04, 13:14   Link #28
Hotaru
Miraioh

Tenjo Tenge ROCKS!!! (I think a lot of people knew that already).
Salad Days is very funny (recommend).
Old 2004-04-19, 12:05   Link #29
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
If I may tootle my own horn a bit, I'd count at least half of the manga we release at Mangascreener to be "good but unknown." The ones I would especially point out (that haven't already been mentioned) are Believers, G Senjou Heaven's Door, Love Roma, National Quiz, and Sexy Voice & Robo.

In the interest of fairness, there are also River's Edge from Jinmen-Juushin, Arigato and Living Game from the Hawks, and Drifting Classroom from Omanga.
I've just finished reading all ten volumes of Living Game, and already I miss it a lot. I just hope I can forget about it as soon as posible so I can read it again! I'm not usually the type to go for romance/drama/comedy, but it was really touching, with some excellent character development. First class stuff.
Old 2004-04-19, 12:34   Link #30
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

You might also want to check out "Milk Closet" from Hitoshi Tomizawa (of "Alien Nine" fame). This 4-volume series evokes the same bizarr and yet fascinating feeling like "Alien Nine". It was serialized in the magazine Afternoon (Blame!, Narutaru, Blade of the Immortal etc.)

What is it about?

"Many children mysteriously disappear in 2005. This is called the 'Reasal Phenomenon'. A few children came back with tails on their behinds. One of them was Hana Yamaguchi. Hana calls upon children with tails and creates the 'Macro Cosmic Invincible Legion of Kids'. These children can go freely back and forth from one world to another and with such special powers, they save missing children. But then, the Ali Troops invade this world. This is a fascinating SF drama about the wonders of the universe."

Get the first volume here: http://tinyurl.com/3h9vt
Old 2004-04-19, 17:16   Link #31
chaoz
I see all and pwn all

I would say Ningen Kyouki Katsuo, a very funny manga. Can be found at http://mangaproject.cjb.net/
Old 2004-04-19, 17:31   Link #32
S_Hikari

Perfect Girl Evolution.

Hilarious, albeit mildly disturbing.

Animewaves I think is scanlating it? I get it from the shoujomagic channel though.
Old 2004-04-20, 09:37   Link #33
hanamichi

I highly reccomend Bremen (www.toriyamaworld.com) and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (www.ignition-one.com), probably two of my favorite series.
Old 2004-04-20, 20:02   Link #34
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

And don't forget PRETTY FACE for a good laugh.

http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~ymn10416042/purifeseed.htm

Master Ran
Old 2004-04-21, 19:01   Link #35
ninjakirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanamichi
I highly reccomend Bremen (www.toriyamaworld.com) and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (www.ignition-one.com), probably two of my favorite series.
JOJO's Bizarre Adventure rules. goto http://jojo.highervoltage.net and read part 3. Its kicks so much ass.

also stop by at Ushi's page and get Sakigake!! Cromartie High. I think they got it listed as Cromartie. Its hilarious.
Old 2004-04-21, 19:51   Link #36
hanamichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakirby
JOJO's Bizarre Adventure rules. goto http://jojo.highervoltage.net and read part 3. Its kicks so much ass.
I'll be up to part 3 in 3 more releases (going to be a big one, I have about a volume of Part 3 done already), so you can be patient and read part 3 in much higher quality >=)
Old 2004-04-21, 20:19   Link #37
nojevo

I got some other title you guys should check out:
Koroshiya Ichi -> The manga version of the movie Ichi the killer. The hawks are scanlating it.
Vulgar Ghost Daydream -> Very similar to the poltergeist. Mangatranslation is doin it.
Airgear -> Oh! Great's new project, what more can I say about it. Get them at snoopy cool.

I'll put some more titles up when I find something else.
Old 2004-04-21, 20:32   Link #38
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Another under the radar manga:

My name is Zushio ^^
Old 2004-04-21, 23:42   Link #39
Azura_Sky

i new comic Rahxephon is looking good, but with only 1st vol out it is hard to determind whether it is good or not , have sort of an evangelion setting and take note the editors had said that the manga is different from the fansub 1
Old 2004-04-22, 21:50   Link #40
AnimeFangirl

What's Michael, by Kobayashi Makoto, a must for any cat-lover! Meow! :3 It's licensed by Dark Horse and you can get it off Amazon or any reputable manga seller, yay!

Tags
underappreciated, manga