AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-22, 18:49   Link #121
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist. Final Thoughts

It's still nine days left before the summer season ends, and yet I already concluded half of the shows that I picked-up.

Makai Ouji was an interesting choice for me to pick, because I absolutely have no idea about this show when I chose it way back at the start of the summer season.

I don't know if it was mere whim or this show having demons in a Victorian setting that made me attracted to it, but the experience was plainly satisfying.

Of course, when I hanpicked Makai Ouji I was expecting the kind of glum and atmosphere that one usually has high hopes when watching stories set in the a Victorian Goth period like, for example, D.Gray-man or something even more darker and into occult like Kuroshitsuji.

Makai Ouji, nonetheless, shattered my expectations and presented its own flair and style of demons. The demon society was nicely presentable and bringing tribute to Solomon's Lesser Key: the Arts Goetia.
I wonder if it's a concidence that most of this year there have been four anime titles, that at least I know of, that deal with storylines about demons being the protagonists? I mean take for example:
1. Winter season: Maou Maoyu Yuusha.
2. Spring season: Hataraku Maou-sama.
3. Summer season: Makai Ouji: Devils & Realist and High School DxD New.

The last two aforementioned titles bring demons based on or taken directly from Solomon's Lesser Key or Arts Goetia.

Furthermore, as I continued watching the series, I made a research of my own and found it was adapted from the manga of the same name. Currently, the manga got 18 tankoubon released so far and hasn't given any signs of finishing soon.

To conclude I do feel satisfied with the ending, unless the producers would like to bring another cour or second season in the years come, and the voice casting while average to me, nevertheless, performed a splendid job with all the characters.
Proudly, this has been the fourth anime title finished for the 2013 Summer season.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 18:58   Link #122
Dop
Mmmm....

Definitely one of those shows I enjoyed a lot more than I'd expected to. It was fun, and the characters were good.

It was a bit sad when nobody else remembered Dantalion and Sytry, though!

It's always nice when a show exceeds my expectations like this one did.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 20:39   Link #123
VTHokiePride

This series seemed way too short, but I thought it was enjoyable for what it was. Any chances for a season 2?
Old 2013-09-22, 21:00   Link #124
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This seemed way to fast and it felt like it skipped why to much

6/10 needed more Sytry
Old 2013-09-22, 23:01   Link #125
Kakkou
Tch.

I really regret reading the manga while the anime was airing because I had a difficult time enjoying the anime as a result. I'm really not a stickler over following the source material but all the changes have been mostly for the worse or made no sense, like this abrupt original ending after they returned from hell. Wth was that? A sorry attempt to make the ending feel less like a "Our battle has just begun!" scenario because they know there's no way in hell they'll get a sequel? SIGH.

I'll just say that the voice cast was the best thing about this adaptation. The OP/ED songs were really addicting and somehow became one of my favourites of the year lol. All hail seiyuu, saviours of poorly done anime. Looking forward to that barbeque nicolive!

Oh and Otome Youkai Zakuro must've been a fluke in Kon Chiaki's resume because it somehow managed to be a good show despite her involvement. I don't really like doing this but I think I'll blacklist any more shows with her as director. Bye Golden Time.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 20:11   Link #126
ginger02

I enjoyed it, but the ending seemed rushed.

I never quite understood the story. Lucifer was in a coma so they needed William to pick a new ruler?
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 09:23   Link #127
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I enjoyed it, but the ending seemed rushed.

I never quite understood the story. Lucifer was in a coma so they needed William to pick a new ruler?

Essentially, yes. All demons have to eventually rest to regain their power. Lucifer was entering his resting period and while asleep a new ruler needed to be chosen to take his place. Unfortunately, sometimes demons slip into a permanent sleep which is what they started to fear was happening to Lucifer, so a new ruler need to be picked even faster to permanently take Lucifer's place. Thankfully Lucifer woke up so they're not as pressed for time as before.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 14:45   Link #128
kuromitsu

I finally got around watching the last episode. I think they did the best with what they had wrt the Solomon story, and I actually rather liked the end. (I kept wondering about just how many times those poor mob demons were going to be killed, though. It's been a while since I saw such blatant recycling.)

In the end this show was a nice diversion, but I agree with those who say that the voice cast was the best thing about it. COME ON, NIKUNAMA LIVE! XD
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 15:19   Link #129
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I finally got around watching the last episode. I think they did the best with what they had wrt the Solomon story, and I actually rather liked the end. (I kept wondering about just how many times those poor mob demons were going to be killed, though. It's been a while since I saw such blatant recycling.)

In the end this show was a nice diversion, but I agree with those who say that the voice cast was the best thing about it. COME ON, NIKUNAMA LIVE! XD

I felt really sorry for those poor demons. I think I saw them get blasted 4 different times.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 16:46   Link #130
kuromitsu

I know it's late but finally I got around watching the Nikunama live, and it was awesome. XD Non-alcoholic beer, but of course, nobody would think otherwise. XDDD And poor, poor Matsuoka did his best, even if Fukuyama's horrible pun was better (or worse, depending on point of view). I hope they'll release the event on DVD, and that character song CD is very tempting.

(It's still kind of weird seeing Fukuyama being all "senpai"... Gaaah, I remember when you were a rookie!! )

Also, Terashima and Eguchi should just reveal that they're brothers or something. XDD They're so adorable together.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-10-15 at 18:26.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 19:22   Link #131
LKK

A blast from the past. Sentai has announced it licensed the series. [Source] I have super fond memories of the series, so I'll pick up this one for sure.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 04:01   Link #132
kan-chan

Hi, I was reading the manga well before whatching the anime and I enjoy(ed) both. Now reading the last chapters I've get the feeling that the manga is nearing its end. Does anyone more knowledgeble than me know if my feel is right?
(Sorry if this is the wrong place but I couldn't find a thread clarly specific for the manga)

Koori no mamono no Monogatari - Blood and Seethe
kan-chan is offline   Reply With Quote