AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-12, 20:08   Link #101
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Spoiler for Spoilers for in-depth thoughts:

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 23:16   Link #102
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I actually don't like the way they are handling the side stories. By showing them before the main story of volume one it hints too much to things to come.

Like for example the current episode.
Spoiler for Something which is going to happen in the main story:
I agree with you to some extent, but since the proposal comes at a very emotional situation, I think the 'impact' on the anime viewer will be the same.

I actually prefer it the way the anime is handling their relationship - it will show how they grow from 2 lonely, solo players, to friends, to lovers.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 05:15   Link #103
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers for in-depth thoughts:
Honestly, I've always felt like the relationship development was a bit too one-sided. We get lots of stuff about how meeting Kirito changed Asuna and made her appreciate life and all that, but from Kirito's perspective I don't think we ever got anything more than "she's a pretty girl, so why not?" I mean, I guess you could say he respects her battle skills too, but it's never indicated that she was important to him before they got together. And afterwards it's more like protectiveness of what he already has.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 08:05   Link #104
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

To be honest, with the OP, and the talk about marriage... I think its a given. In the Novel while it was more sudden, because majority was left to imagination till the number of SAO SS that were written afterwards, their relationship is still one of my favourites that are canon. And the anime does do it more justice by having the build up from acquaintances to friends to lovers. While in vol 1 they skipped the transition from friends to lovers, as it was implied that they already had feelings for one another, just no build up. Still a very enjoyable relationship to read and watch about regardless.

Although Murder in the Area in the novel handled the starting of Asuna's stronger feelings better than the anime. She is visibly more tsun in the novel while the anime gives off the she cares for him vibe, it hasn't shown the "I want him to like me to" vibe.

I don't remember them adding each other as friends in the novels at all, I kind of assumed that they added each other somewhere amidst the floor clearings.
Old 2012-08-13, 08:43   Link #105
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Honestly, I've always felt like the relationship development was a bit too one-sided. We get lots of stuff about how meeting Kirito changed Asuna and made her appreciate life and all that, but from Kirito's perspective I don't think we ever got anything more than "she's a pretty girl, so why not?" I mean, I guess you could say he respects her battle skills too, but it's never indicated that she was important to him before they got together. And afterwards it's more like protectiveness of what he already has.
Well, she was actually the first girl he spent any time talking to and he had little experience talking to girls before that. He even had issues talking to his "sister". And we do have Kirito drooling over how pretty Asuna are quite alot :P It's just that Kirito is a bit dense and doesn't realise that Asuna likes him, which should be obvious really. He just enjoys spending time with this pretty girl that for some for him unknown reason tends to spend time with him. Thus it is first when he actually realises that he has the option to spend even more time with her and in the future as well that he actually expresses his feelings of wanting to do so.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 08:54   Link #106
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Well, she was actually the first girl he spent any time talking to and he had little experience talking to girls before that. He even had issues talking to his "sister". And we do have Kirito drooling over how pretty Asuna are quite alot :P It's just that Kirito is a bit dense and doesn't realise that Asuna likes him, which should be obvious really. He just enjoys spending time with this pretty girl that for some for him unknown reason tends to spend time with him. Thus it is first when he actually realises that he has the option to spend even more time with her and in the future as well that he actually expresses his feelings of wanting to do so.
He gets along pretty well with Silica and Lisbeth too. Especially Lisbeth, who he shares a bit of a romantic moment with and even seems to realize how she feels. All before realizing how Asuna feels.

It just never seemed like there was much indication that Asuna was special to him, until suddenly she was. I didn't have much of a problem with it in the first volume where their relationship was vague enough to just assume it, but once we got more development for both of them in sidestories and such it started making less and less sense.

I suppose Progressive might fix this.
Old 2012-08-14, 05:10   Link #107
sky black swordman

Quote:
He gets along pretty well with Silica and Lisbeth too. Especially Lisbeth, who he shares a bit of a romantic moment with and even seems to realize how she feels. All before realizing how Asuna feels.

It just never seemed like there was much indication that Asuna was special to him, until suddenly she was. I didn't have much of a problem with it in the first volume where their relationship was vague enough to just assume it, but once we got more development for both of them in sidestories and such it started making less and less sense.

Hmm So he did know what she was going to say in vol 2 .

I have to agree with you on this subject.

And your right this needs to be fixed.
Old 2012-08-18, 14:32   Link #108
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:

Spoiler for Does this need spoiling? Hell if I know!:

Rant (?) done!
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 15:28   Link #109
lightbringer
M9000

Including Scilica/Lizbet/Sachi now in the anime is probably more of a pandering to fans of the original material. It's obvious that the anime team are fans as well, to some extent, and we know that even the author got involved in the anime heavily.

But as a result, we now have people who have not read the novels, who see Silica/Lizbeth and want more of them... and are bound to be disappointed since they pretty much have no reason to show up again until after GGO (which, it seems, won't be in the anime this time). We might see a bit more of Liz at some point but that would be a few seconds, that's pretty much it, isn't it.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 15:59   Link #110
Clarste
Human

Correction: they have no reason to show up again ever.
Old 2012-08-18, 16:08   Link #111
Xacual

Quote:
Well if you cut out their scene in the epilogue of volume 4 I guess they wouldn't. I'm still expecting Liz's scene will show up at the end of SAO too though.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 16:15   Link #112
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Well, not until Calibur at least. Also they are all together chilling in ALO while watching the GGO tournament. But as far as SAO and ALO are concerned, there's only Liz's epilogue (and the volume 4 epilogue, too).
Old 2012-08-18, 16:34   Link #113
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
But as a result, we now have people who have not read the novels, who see Silica/Lizbeth and want more of them... and are bound to be disappointed since they pretty much have no reason to show up again until after GGO (which, it seems, won't be in the anime this time). We might see a bit more of Liz at some point but that would be a few seconds, that's pretty much it, isn't it.
Well I'm in the camp where I did read the novels, and still want more Silica/Lizbeth.

What I hope they do in the anime is show an 'extended' game clear sequence, where it not only shows Lizbeth's reaction, but Silica's, Egil's, Yolko and co., Yuriel's, Sinker's, and Sasha's (if the anime includes them). Maybe even show the (surviving) Laughing Coffin members too.

Even if they don't, they do all show up at the end of Fariy Dance though, where I assume the anime will end.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 17:27   Link #114
lightbringer
M9000

I'm sure they're planing something like that for the SAO ending. It's something that's more suited for visual media after all. Maybe they'll add some side scenes with the other girls as anime-original material, too.
Old 2012-08-18, 21:31   Link #115
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Well, not until Calibur at least. Also they are all together chilling in ALO while watching the GGO tournament. But as far as SAO and ALO are concerned, there's only Liz's epilogue (and the volume 4 epilogue, too).
I meant more like they're not important. I doubt the anime would actually do this, but you could cut out their cameos in later volumes without changing anything at all.
Old 2012-08-18, 21:46   Link #116
iceyfw

i can't believe they didn't bother to include

Spoiler for Ending of Episode 7:

it'll be interesting to see which sword he'll use as his main weapon next episode.

and i can understand why they left out a certain scene because that'll come up next week
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 23:52   Link #117
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
i can't believe they didn't bother to include

Spoiler for Ending of Episode 7:

it'll be interesting to see which sword he'll use as his main weapon next episode.

and i can understand why they left out a certain scene because that'll come up next week
You mean

Spoiler for Next week's title and main spoiler:
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 01:42   Link #118
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Yeah, i'm not a particular fan of this story so i'm not surprised I didn't like this episode in particular.

That said, I had to go back and check the book after the
Spoiler for Ep 7:
scene just sort of stopped. I thought fall damage (as well as "Idiot fell to a clumsy, painful death") was a thing in SAO.

Last edited by Conan-san; 2012-08-19 at 01:52.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 05:44   Link #119
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
You mean

Spoiler for Next week's title and main spoiler:
i don't recommend anyone clicking Who's spoiler tag if you want more suspense rushing through your brain in episode 8.

Spoiler for reply. no spoiler for episode 8 except clues from episode 7.:
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 10:53   Link #120
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
Spoiler for reply. no spoiler for episode 8 except clues from episode 7.:
The thing was that the anime never did reference the unique skills up until now, so people are not suspecting anything contrary, and I've seen plenty of people wishing for kirito to go all dual wielding with the two swords after this episode. If only they knew...
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote