Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-03, 20:42   Link #61
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
The positive would be easier to accentuate if we didn't know what was coming, and how utterly graphic it truly is. It will be heavily edited, in certain scenes. We know this because of how these scenes were handled in other countries, where the initial volume in question (6) was already released -- edited. And since we're talking about the American release, it stands to figure that the same thing will happen...because after all, America is the land of censorship where the highest priority is "thinking of the children."
Yep, just look how many people are going ape over the whole Janet Jackson Superbowl tit slip.
Old 2004-02-07, 07:04   Link #62
DCDraGon

Unhappy Disturbing Anime?!?

Hmmm...

I just recently watched an anime series and watched a whole bunch of people get slaughterd. Now normally this wouldn't bother me... BUT watching a little girl getting stabbed numerous times before finally having her stomach ripped open while all along shes begging for her life... I find this a little disturbing.

I can't believe no-one seemed to mention what type of series it was, I heard it was great... but as you can see it would have been nice if they mentioned the little things that made the story so great.

Because of this.. im rather hesitant to download any anime. Are any of the other new series like this...? and why do they make series like this? any ideas?

Just before I go. You should watch Narutaru its a GREAT anime series, with lots of cute characters and if the intro is anything to go by, its Azumanga mixed with Pokemon. Watch the series, you'd be suprised how it ends.

Last edited by Keitaro; 2004-02-08 at 01:00. Reason: Renamed thread Narutaru disturbing Anime?!?
Old 2004-02-07, 07:29   Link #63
Vesaas

If u named the anime series u watched, it would've helped...

Not that many shows like that though.

Try something like Chrno Crusade or Full Metall Alchemist, they're a bit "safer"

As to why they make these kind of series......myself I like dark anime series. Things getting really messed up. Kindof shows the possible brutality of human beeings. makes u think. Reality might be worse u know!
Old 2004-02-07, 07:33   Link #64
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDraGon
Hmmm...

I just recently watched an anime series and watched a whole bunch of people get slaughterd. Now normally this wouldn't bother me... BUT watching a little girl getting stabbed numerous times before finally having her stomach ripped open while all along shes begging for her life... I find this a little disturbing.

I can't believe no-one seemed to mention what type of series it was, I heard it was great... but as you can see it would have been nice if they mentioned the little things that made the story so great.

Because of this.. im rather hesitant to download any anime. Are any of the other new series like this...? and why do they make series like this? any ideas?

Just before I go. You should watch Narutaru its a GREAT anime series, with lots of cute characters and if the intro is anything to go by, its Azumanga mixed with Pokemon. Watch the series, you'd be suprised how it ends.
Yeah, thats sound a bit too "extreme", but what serie is it then? what the name of it?
Old 2004-02-07, 07:52   Link #65
SomeName
~ notoriously off topic ~

I'm glad I stopped watching the series at 11. It seemed to be dragging on too much, and I wasn't interested in the characters at all. I was just waiting hoping that something would happen. If I continued to watch the last 2 episodes only to find out that that was what awaited me... I wouldn't have been a happy camper. >_<
Old 2004-02-07, 07:54   Link #66
Kensuke

It is disturbing that people want to know about series where little girl is stabbed to death.

To me "dark" anime is just one genre. Sometimes I watch romantic series, then get tired of it and switch to more darker themes and after that maybe some mecha and so on...

If you want disturbing anime then watch Jin-Roh or Serial Experiments Lain, at least they were disturbing to me. (Both are licensed)
Old 2004-02-07, 07:54   Link #67
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

disturbing anime = loli-con SHIT
Old 2004-02-07, 08:21   Link #68
Iron Monkey

Uh, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Narutaru. I'm not certain (since I haven't watched the series yet), but judging from his sarcastic ending comment on the show, I'm guessing that's the show he's refering to.
Old 2004-02-07, 08:54   Link #69
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
Uh, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Narutaru. I'm not certain (since I haven't watched the series yet), but judging from his sarcastic ending comment on the show, I'm guessing that's the show he's refering to.
Quote:
I don't think that's sarcasm, just a suggestion. But I haven't seen Narutaru.

If it is sarcasm, it's terribly misplaced.
Old 2004-02-07, 09:17   Link #70
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Minor spoiler
Spoiler:

As to why people would make it series like that, I have no idea. Try asking the original author instead of asking us.

As for are there any other anime like this...
Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-07, 09:49   Link #71
marin

In terms of sheer psychological disturbingness,

NaruTaru

wins the thread.

However,

Quote:
That is not NaruTaru.

There were not a whole bunch of people getting slaughtered.

No girl got stabbed numerous times, nor was she begging for her life.

What happened was actually a whole lot more disturbing than that, actually...
Old 2004-02-07, 10:12   Link #72
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
The anime is child's play compared to the manga (and the later volumes).

Ok, let's add MAJOR SPOILERS. Don't read if you intend to read the manga.

Spoiler:

Anyways Kitoh is working on a new series, called Bokura No, and I have the feeling it's going to be on the same drift as Narutaru.
Old 2004-02-07, 12:18   Link #73
DemonEye

Quote:
Hmmm...

Stay away from Koroshiya, the anime and the manga. Just a fair warning, if you don't like disturbing stuff. It's just nasty.
Old 2004-02-07, 12:21   Link #74
DemonEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName
I'm glad I stopped watching the series at 11. It seemed to be dragging on too much, and I wasn't interested in the characters at all. I was just waiting hoping that something would happen. If I continued to watch the last 2 episodes only to find out that that was what awaited me... I wouldn't have been a happy camper. >_<
Well, if you where waiting/hoping that SOMETHING would happen, then u really should have watched the last 2 eps right
Old 2004-02-07, 12:31   Link #75
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Hmmm...

so someone tricked you into watching narutaru and you're trying to do the same? Narutaru wasn't that bad, I've seen worse but it's your own damn fault for not checking out what the anime was about before watching it, it could easily have been night shift nurses or some other disgusting shit eating crap
Old 2004-02-07, 12:38   Link #76
Machine-Gunner

very few anime's are like that. and besides its animated!, so i dont see how it could warp your mind..imagine seeing it in realistic style..
Old 2004-02-07, 13:20   Link #77
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonEye
Stay away from Koroshiya, the anime and the manga. Just a fair warning, if you don't like disturbing stuff. It's just nasty.
With a name like that, I guess you can't go wrong.

In case you wonder, Koroshiya means Trained Killer.
Old 2004-02-07, 13:43   Link #78
DCDraGon

Haha...

I've heard of Night Shift Nurses, but thats not exactly an anime now is it (Hentai). In regards to my sarcastic comments I truly apologise.

Narutaru is FAR from Azumanga + Pokemon combined, although the intro does give you that type of impression, in reality though its one of the many disturbing animes out there.

I've heard season 2 of Narutaru is comming out, for those of you intrested in disturbing anime, i'd recommend it hands down.

Personally i like to watch light hearted anime, and usually stay away from dark anime series. But in my search for anime i've happened to stumble across nearly all of the dark anime series out there, and since i've purchased or downloaded them.. I usually end up watching them.

If you don't like disturbing anime, heres a list of anime i've watched and found quite disturbing :-

Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Key the Metal Idol, Saikano, Perfect Blue, Evangelion (The last few eps + Extras), Grave of the Fire Flies (very VERY sad story). Theres quite a few more disturbing anime series but i've only watched these ones so can't really comment on the rest.

Well I guess its back to watching Prince of Tennis, at least I can watch that in peace with no worrys of it transforming in a dark anime.... Although it is an anime... Hence, I wouldn't be suprised if the main character snapped and used his tennis racket as a deadly weapon slicing and dicing the opposition.

I wonder..
Old 2004-02-07, 14:14   Link #79
Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
The anime is child's play compared to the manga (and the later volumes).

Ok, let's add MAJOR SPOILERS. Don't read if you intend to read the manga.

Spoiler:

Anyways Kitoh is working on a new series, called Bokura No, and I have the feeling it's going to be on the same drift as Narutaru.
So let me get this straight..
Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-07, 14:22   Link #80
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Narutaru's opening is an exercise in dissonance, both with the disparity of the anime and the happiness of the opening and with the actual animation in the opening itself.

The series itself is shocking, is disturbing, is nasty, and isn't for everyone. Don't let the chibi opening fool you.

On the other hand, if you didn't pick up on how shocking and disturbing the anime was getting by episode 3 or 4, you're not going to get away with blaming the series, you're just not frigging paying attention. Seriously.
Spoiler:
You can't honestly blame the series when you're ignoring the warning signs, you know?
Closed Thread

Tags
sci-fi