AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 9.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 54.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-02-01, 08:12   Link #761
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I'm so ready for this.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:26   Link #762
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
Well, the kmf CG battle animation speed is very bad, jerky and not fluid.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 08:36   Link #763
konart

lol, Orthodox churches in the backgroud. I wonder if it is Russia, Ukraine or Belarus.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:55   Link #764
gordol
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGeutD2t6Rw

better version of PV
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 08:57   Link #765
Xander

I think it's good enough for an early showcase of how the second OVA is going to look like.

Also, it's interesting that they most definitely chose to avoid focusing on Suzaku or Xin, but instead simply gave us a battle against a group of Gloucesters and what initially appeared to be Luciano Bradley's custom variant (but, in light of further comments, probably isn't...so pay this phrase no mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
lol, Orthodox churches in the backgroud. I wonder if it is Russia, Ukraine or Belarus.
Well, I remember that Suzaku said he met Luciano somewhere in Eastern Europe, so that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Well, the kmf CG battle animation speed is very bad, jerky and not fluid.
Maybe you should notice that this video has been ripped from the official website, which introduces any number of issues if the process isn't perfect, and it's also not meant to be the final version of the footage either.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-02-01 at 18:01.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 09:01   Link #766
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

What? the CG animation look awesome.
Old 2013-02-01, 09:05   Link #767
gordol
Banned

That's not Luciano Bradley at all!

The red Gloucester has a dragon motif.
Old 2013-02-01, 09:10   Link #768
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Well, I remember that Suzaku said he met Luciano somewhere in Eastern Europe, so that makes sense.
Belarussian front, yeah. I'm just curious about the exact place (wanna go and get some photos, if possible )
Old 2013-02-01, 09:29   Link #769
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
That's not Luciano Bradley at all!

The red Gloucester has a dragon motif.
Maybe, but he does look like him in that face shot and I don't see what that last part contradicts.
Old 2013-02-01, 09:35   Link #770
gordol
Banned

C.C/Suzaku are in and have the same character design.

That doesn't resemble Luciano at all, different face structure, hair color, eyebrows, earring, etc.
Old 2013-02-01, 09:37   Link #771
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Almost makes the extra wait worth it.....almost.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 10:12   Link #772
wredsa

too bad we have to wait 6 more months for this
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 17:31   Link #773
Xander

Quote:
That doesn't resemble Luciano at all, different face structure, hair color, eyebrows, earring, etc.
I could actually nitpick the above, but I'm tired.

For the sake of keeping things simple, I don't mind giving you the point. But even if he turns out to be a different character, as you say, I think he does evoke someone like him at first glance. Which might not really matter, in the end, depending on what happens.

I still think it's likely they are fighting somewhere in Eastern Europe anyway.
Old 2013-02-01, 17:34   Link #774
gordol
Banned

Quote:
I could actually nitpick the above, but I'm tired.

For the sake of keeping things simple, I don't mind giving you the point here. But even if he turns out to be a different character, as you say, I think he does evoke him at first glance. Which might not really matter, in the end.

I still think it's likely they are fighting somewhere in Eastern Europe anyway.
And the official twitter says it's a NEW character in the PV. Sorry you can't nitpick something that's completely different.
Old 2013-02-01, 17:54   Link #775
Xander

Quote:
Sorry you can't nitpick something that's completely different.
As you wish, but we should keep in mind people have easily compared Akito and Lelouch despite their being ultimately different characters, when there are superficial similarities, so comparing this new guy and Luciano isn't exactly out of the question. Since the mere thought of it seems to offend you, for whatever reason, forget I ever said that.
Old 2013-02-01, 18:54   Link #776
gordol
Banned

Quote:
As you wish, but we should keep in mind people have easily compared Akito and Lelouch despite their being ultimately different characters, when there are superficial similarities, so comparing this new guy and Luciano isn't exactly out of the question. Since the mere thought of it seems to offend you, for whatever reason, forget I ever said that.
No problem man, just don't want see misinformation spreading. Nothing personal

Let's be friends

some images from the trailer

Not Luciano belongs to the Michael Knights. Shin's subordinate

Last edited by gordol; 2013-02-01 at 23:48.
Old 2013-02-02, 22:44   Link #777
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've finally seen the first episode for this OVA, and wow!!!! That 40+ minutes just flew by. I wanted the second episode so badly. I didn't find Code Geass that entertaining. In fact, couldn't even finish the first season, but this was solid. The story was compact and to the point. The action was gorgeous with an excellent blending of CG.

My faith in this director and his crew was more than justified. Can't wait to see the second!

edit: Let me know if you guys would care for individual threads for the coming episodes providing the OVA wouldn't end with the next episode.

Last edited by monir; 2013-02-02 at 23:07.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 23:52   Link #778
Xander

Good to know you enjoyed it. I figure you watched the recently released BD version (in a manner of speaking)? It looks quite nice and has a better translation.

In my opinion the best spin-offs are, precisely, those that can also appeal to those who aren't too familiar with the original work or simply didn't like it, while still giving the existing fans something interesting that will enhance their overall experience. As far as I'm concerned, this project is certainly accomplishing that much so far. You could say I went the opposite route: I was a fan of the original series, with all of its positives and negatives, but after hearing about the new director I decided to watch more of his work and ultimately came away with a very good impression. Needless to say, the first OVA was definitely in line with what I came to expect.

As for making individual threads for each episode of the OVA...I'd actually support that idea myself, when the time comes, since this production is currently intended to have four installments in total. I guess creating a separate discussion thread for episode two at the time of its summer release would be fair enough, but I'm sure the other posters will have their own views about it.
Old 2013-02-03, 00:08   Link #779
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I managed to sit through 18 episodes from the first season before I just couldn't take it. The story is good on paper, but it didn't appeal to me in the way it was portrayed for the TV series. This OVA episode alone did more for the idea of a protagonist who gave up to his own despair, who lost hope due to his own inability to stand up to injustice, who shows reckless disregard for his own life, and yet still clings to it because of that enraging hatred that he hides so well. In contrast, the TV series seem to portrayed a haughty, angsty teenager who suddenly found Death Note which makes for easy killings. Plus, the action in the OVA was so gorgeously animated that usually is not seen in any long running series. The production value was high up there even for an OVA series.

Anyway, when the next episode nears its premiere, feel free to ask for an individual thread in the Request thread, or just PM/VM me. In the meantime, this thread is stickied.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 00:53   Link #780
Xander

I suppose we all have our own perspectives and preferences at work, not just with respect to the material and its contents but, like you said, its presentation.

On paper, the two protagonists can come across as conceptually similar in that they're both angry youths reacting against the world and have a bit of a dark side, but their specific ways of taking action are extremely different, along with their surrounding circumstances and respective personalities. Your description of Lelouch is partially incomplete in my opinion but still fair enough as a rough outline, since he is very much meant to reflect that specific type of character. He acts with a lot of pride as well as arrogance and loudly makes his intentions known. In contrast, Akito Hyuga isn't really like that. He's a man of few words and, like your observations imply, seems to keep a lot of his emotions inside. Generally, I would say the OVA is currently leaving a lot of things about Akito himself up in the air and open to interpretation, but I enjoy that mystery angle.

The CG action has been handled very well here, no question about it, and the overall production does look very slick. A few scenes of traditional animation could have been cleaned up a little more though. And then there's the soundtrack, which not everyone seems to appreciate, but I think it actually works a lot better than I initially thought.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-02-03 at 01:11.