Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-26, 10:57   Link #41
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan
Here's a question from me, and it probably is a spoiler for R.O.D anyway. Does the end of the R.O.D. manga lead into Read or Dream (aka R.O.D. TV), and does it explain what happened to Yomiko?

Or...

******SPOILERS******

Is my theory on the mark that she's with Nancy's "sister" now? Or are we not supposed to know at all? I heard that Nenene used to be Yomiko's roomate, and since I only got to see it once (at a convention and using the R1 DVD), I can't really got back and check. That idea makes it sound like Yomiko's whereabouts are supposed to be known by the viewer.

They're driving me crazy...so much mystery *wiggles fingers*

Nah, Yomiko was Nenene's teacher. She was a substitute teacher when she was not a secret agent. the beginning of eps 9 kinda explains this.
Old 2003-12-28, 06:28   Link #42
Akazukin Ookami
the red hood

1. I just recently started watching this anime and am really enjoying it. Some people have called it slow, but the pace has been pretty good for me. There has been a lot of time spent developing the characters, and this has been done really well and humorously. Ooh, and the animation is excellent! Now that the plot is really starting to move along, I can't wait to see what happens after the latest twists (in 15 & 16)

2. Who cares if Chibi-ko or Hisa-chan is gay? While 13 can be old enough to start showing romantic/sexual interest, Anita and Hisami's relationship strikes me as a deep friendship, but full of innocence and naiveté... Keep in mind that neither Anita nor Hisami are used to deep friendships/relationships with kids their own age...Anita because she hasn't been going to school and Hisami because she is shy and anti-social. Give them a few years, and maybe they'll assume romantic/sexual identity labels just for your convenience.

3. "it's interesting how many people assume gayness has anything to do with something sexual. many gays will tell you their relationship has nothing to do with sex." --hunterx

What do you expect in a society where we define intimate relationships as "heteroSEXual" (=straight) or "homoSEXual" (=gay)? Most people would say that love/intimacy is the most important part of a good relationship, but it still all boils down to what kind of squishy flesh you and your partner have and have sex with. What's that? Love and sex aren't the same thing?? There are people who don't have sex much or at all??? Blasphemy! =P This is why when I saw the word polyamory ("many loves"), I started using 'heteroamory' and 'homoamory' too.

16 y.o. Anita (starry-eyed): Onee-chan, I've realized! I'm Hisa-amorous!
Michelle (worried): Isn't that kind of limited?
Maggie (reading a book): ...as long as you are happy...
Old 2003-12-29, 04:53   Link #43
DjDeluxay
マイクスズカゼ、ウェチノ

Send a message via AIM to DjDeluxay
what is ROD what does it stand for? I want to watch it
Old 2003-12-29, 08:34   Link #44
Ishtar

ROD starnd for Read or Die if that was what you were asking
Old 2003-12-29, 16:05   Link #45
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtar
ROD starnd for Read or Die if that was what you were asking
Not entirely right. In the OVA series it stood for "Read or Die," but when they were making the TV series it stood for "Read or Dream." At first. Then the original title was jetisoned and now it officially doesn't stand for anything at all.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-29, 17:01   Link #46
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Not entirely right. In the OVA series it stood for "Read or Die," but when they were making the TV series it stood for "Read or Dream." At first. Then the original title was jetisoned and now it officially doesn't stand for anything at all.
Logic would indicate that it stands for Read or Die, or else what is it 'the TV' of?
Old 2003-12-29, 18:33   Link #47
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I know that would be logical, but decisions aren't always logical. It doesn't stand for "Read or Die". The original title of this show was going to be "Read or Dream". They changed their minds. It doesn't stand for anything. The full Title of the show is "R.O.D The TV". They added the TV part only to keep people from being confused about the Original OVA series, because it used the ROD abbreviation.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-30, 07:52   Link #48
Tenkoy
That is a secret.

Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
So, would the timeline be like this:

<EDIT>

Okay, so the TV series is basically a rewrite of the Read or Dream manga, okay, I got that. And there was another manga, Read or Die manga?

Quote:
So the timeline would be:

Read or Die OAV
|
Read or Die manga
|
Read or Dream manga
R.O.D TV (Or whatever it stands for)
(Is that correct?)

About Nancy's child, perhaps it's:

Spoiler:

I must say, after watching of the anime, I can tell this series is going on my shelf, an excellent series. I just love the creative ways they can use paper and the whole idea of a bookworm who uses paper to win. As a writer myself, this series holds a special place with me.
Old 2003-12-30, 12:42   Link #49
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Close, but not entirely the picture.

The "Read or Dream" manga featured Anita, Magi, and Michelle first, and the new TV series was going to be centered around them.

But in the end, they decided that they would like to tie this with the original R.O.D (Read or Die) OVA that they just left it be...so that you can decide whichever one you want to use. Hence, it can be taken as "the TV version of the Read or Dream manga's characters" or "the TV version in continuation to the Read or Die OVA."
Old 2003-12-30, 15:21   Link #50
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Interesting. It actually stands for both, so that it can tie in with either... Strangely, that seems to make sense.

Old 2004-01-20, 12:29   Link #51
DjDeluxay
マイクスズカゼ、ウェチノ

Send a message via AIM to DjDeluxay
I wanted to know if the ROD movie is linked to the series? I just saw the movie or the DVD which said it has three episodes. But it looked more like a movie. It is the one with Nancy. Is that the series or something different?
Old 2004-01-20, 13:08   Link #52
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDeluxay
I wanted to know if the ROD movie is linked to the series? I just saw the movie or the DVD which said it has three episodes. But it looked more like a movie. It is the one with Nancy. Is that the series or something different?
That's the R.O.D 3-part OVA.

And at first the OVA series may not seem to be linked to the TV series, but little by little, they tie in the story together...especially after Ep. 10.

A good way to enjoy R.O.D:

1. read the manga "Read or Die" (or the novel "Read or Die")
2. watch OVA "R.O.D -Read or Die"
3. read the manga "Read or Dream"
4. watch TV series "R.O.D the TV"
Old 2004-01-20, 13:21   Link #53
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDeluxay
The ROD movie (actually, it's an OVA) is linked to the series by the characters involved in it (so yes, Nancy is in it). Please refer to the prior posts.

If anything, they probably only gave the title R.O.D TV so that it could be called either Read or Die... or Read or Dream (They probably left just ROD TV so that people who just watched the OVA and never read the mangas would just call it "Read or Die TV" or "Read or Dream TV" for those who are into both the mangas and the anime).

I also would say that the TV series isn't a total re-write of the manga of Read or Dream either (if anything, it is another contiuation of Read or Dream manga involving characters from the Read or Die OVA/manga).

Besides, I just read an interview article that has the director of the TV series and they he and the interviewer just called the series "R.O.D" and nothing more... which could mean that the meaning of the title could be "Read or Die" and/or "Read or Dream" for the TV series, but they just state it as R.O.D TV and nothing more.
Old 2004-01-21, 23:06   Link #54
Weissent
on and off member

Animation quality

Btw., did anyone else notice that the animation went completely downhill after the HongKong showdown? Are they behind schedule? Budget problems? The first half looked pretty good, imo, but the last episodes are below average. The movements look extremely jerky, the faces suddenly became asymetrical in some scenes ... hen.

Sure, sometimes episodes look like that, no big-a-deal, if the story is thrilling, I usually don't care. I just find it strange that the animation quality went down from 'really good' to 'worst I've seen in quite a while'.

If anyone could elaborate and enlighten me, plz

Last edited by Weissent; 2004-01-22 at 06:30.
Old 2004-01-21, 23:39   Link #55
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissent
Btw., did anyone else notice that the animation went completely downhill after the HongKong showdown? Are they behind schedule? Budget problems? The first half looked pretty good, imo, but the last episodes are below average. The movements look extremely jerky, the faces suddenly became asymetrical in some scenes ... hen.

Sure, sometimes episodes look like that, no big-a-deal, if the story is thrilling, I usually don't care. I just find it strange that the animation quality went down from 'really good' to 'worst I've seen in quite a while'.

I anyone could elaborate and enlighten me, plz
Ctrl+V from hagaren thread:

You do realize many animes don't use the same genga studio each episode? While the production studio maybe the same, they usually give certain episodes to different genga studios. So while for one episode, a certain anime may use 12 different "good" genga studios, while the next episode may use 13 "obscure" different genga studios. Depending on production costs (and the importance of that episode), we may give a certain episode to a well experienced studio in Japan and Korea, or we may give a certain episode as a challenge to build up their own experience to some obscure start-up genga company in Japan and Taiwan.

For a more clear view on how current anime is made, I suggest you watch the anime "Animation Runner Kuromi-chan."

_______________end Ctrl+v___________________________

In addition, you must also remember that the R.O.D that you are watching is the pre-screener version on air on CS satellite broadcast.

All quality upgrades are made as they are shown on the actual FujiTV broadcast.
Old 2004-01-22, 07:24   Link #56
Weissent
on and off member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
In addition, you must also remember that the R.O.D that you are watching is the pre-screener version on air on CS satellite broadcast.

All quality upgrades are made as they are shown on the actual FujiTV broadcast.
Now this is quite interesting. I just checked out the link kj1980 posted in another R.O.D. TV thread (http://wgalland.hp.infoseek.co.jp/200401b.htm). Scroll down, about halfway down you'll find the different versions compared to each other. Quite some changes indeed.
Well then, Geneon, get into gear and release those DVDs as soon as possible
Old 2004-01-22, 17:22   Link #57
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissent
Now this is quite interesting. I just checked out the link kj1980 posted in another R.O.D. TV thread (http://wgalland.hp.infoseek.co.jp/200401b.htm). Scroll down, about halfway down you'll find the different versions compared to each other. Quite some changes indeed.
Well then, Geneon, get into gear and release those DVDs as soon as possible
Actually, the changes will be a combo from both the CS broadcast version and the FujiTV version.

Likewise, all quality upgrades will come from FujiTV
On the other hand, FujiTV will censor some scenes that define nudity (the hot spring "treasure" episode) when the CS didn't.

And though I don't know about your country, the DVDs for R.O.D the TV has already been coming out in Japan.
Old 2004-01-24, 13:11   Link #58
yakkervitch

Question Popularity

Just exactly how popular is R.O.D. - The TV in Japan? Does anyone have any idea?
Old 2004-01-24, 18:38   Link #59
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkervitch
Just exactly how popular is R.O.D. - The TV in Japan? Does anyone have any idea?
Very much, among otakus.
Old 2004-01-24, 22:02   Link #60
yakkervitch

What about general TV-watching population? Doesn't it air extremely late in the evening (1 or 2 am)?
Closed Thread

Tags
action, drama