AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-02, 16:05   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - Live-Action Movie

Per ANN and other sources, Haganai is getting a live-action movie. The author himself is not involved in the production, and actually wrote a rather lengthy comment about it that Crunchyroll translated here. (IMO, it's an interesting read.)

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to discuss and speculate about this movie.
Old 2013-05-02, 17:34   Link #2
Sumeragi
Banned

I don't know what to make of this.....

Still, I do respect Hirasaka for knowing her personality and limitations and thus deciding to not be involved with the movie. That shows just how much Hirasaka thinks about her work, and that deserves praise.
Old 2013-05-02, 17:44   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So it's confirmed? Wow... Just...

...Wait, does this open up the door that other High School Romcom series would get live action ?!
Old 2013-05-02, 18:11   Link #4
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The real question is, will it be any good? Like Hirasaka said, Haganai doesn't exactly lend itself to the film format.
Old 2013-05-02, 18:28   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The real question is, will it be any good? Like Hirasaka said, Haganai doesn't exactly lend itself to the film format.
I think we all know the answer to that deep down....

I don't think Haganai is anyone's first pick when it comes to live action adaptation.
Old 2013-05-02, 21:00   Link #6
JamJackEvo

I wonder who'd stand in for Meat in the live action. That kind (and amount) of meat doesn't grow on trees, after all.
Old 2013-05-02, 21:13   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Anyone standing in for Sena should be a gorgeous (blonde) with ample bosom, if not, there's no point in making her character live action ^^. Also, how can they pull off Maria? A loli with silver hair in nun getup doing something hilarious works in the manga & anime, but IRL?
Old 2013-05-02, 21:25   Link #8
JamJackEvo

Not to mention Kate.

But I have little faith in the movie producers finding a big-busted actor to play the part, because it'd be difficult to do so. If they find a young, blonde, big-busted gaijin actress who can speak fluent Japanese, then kudos to them.

Usually though, this is the kind of transition which would often be lost when transforming an LN/Anime/Manga series to a live-action one. That happened with Kaoru in Nana to Kaoru. In the manga, he is short, looks like a loser, and has really big beady eyes. In the live-action, he was taller than Nana (oh for goodness sake!) and not at all loser-like, at least in appearance. Perhaps they were hard-pressed in finding a good, shorty actor during production... :/
Old 2013-05-02, 21:26   Link #9
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJackEvo View Post
I wonder who'd stand in for Meat in the live action. That kind (and amount) of meat doesn't grow on trees, after all.
Well, considering the average bust size in Japan..... It's actually pretty common.
Old 2013-05-02, 21:40   Link #10
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Well, considering the average bust size in Japan..... It's actually pretty common.
I'm almost certain they wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Anime-ish looks.

That means no gold or silver haired lolis, and Sena would be moderate.
Old 2013-05-02, 21:51   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That means no gold or silver haired lolis, and Sena would be moderate.
I'm fine with no silver-haired loli, but Sena not being blonde? Blonde hair is one of her defining traits. Take that away and it won't represent Sena to a degree. It's like Kenshin Himura with black hair instead of red .
Old 2013-05-02, 21:53   Link #12
Sumeragi
Banned

Sena is half English. What would she be without being blond?
Old 2013-05-02, 22:02   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Actually I was refering to Kobato when I said it

I'm not concerned either way, but remember the Death Note movie? Misamisa wasn't blond either
Old 2013-05-03, 09:47   Link #14
Dr. Casey

Well, this is interesting. I think Boku wa Tomodachi has a fair amount of potential for a live-action adaptation; it's nothing as fantastical as a shounen or fantasy series (the finale of NEXT with Rika vs. Kodaka aside). Still, for the moment I'll assume that this movie will continue the tradition of live-action adaptations being charmingly terrible. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2013-05-03, 14:24   Link #15
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Wait...someone in the entertainment business is actually using her logic and common sense? Humanity restored! But honestly you got hand it to her for basically renouncing the project.
Old 2013-05-03, 23:44   Link #16
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I can't believe this is getting a live-action movie. Wahahaha it so doesn't fit (I'm guessing that's the reason why they chose this project). They might put less focus on raunchy and more on healing though but then again what is Haganai without the raunchiness?
Old 2013-05-04, 01:25   Link #17
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
They might put less focus on raunchy and more on healing though but then again what is Haganai without the raunchiness?
Well, I think it wouldn't be hard to make a reasonable live-action story about a bunch of misfits who form a club and, through trials, find friends in each other. It's basically taking the basic concept sketch and telling a different version of it for a different audience (sort of like "based on the original concept by..." as opposed to an adaptation). That's probably what I'd expect, anyway. In that regard, they could also keep the names and basic ideas of the character personalities, while doing it with more conventional Japanese actors.
Old 2013-05-04, 02:05   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I think it wouldn't be hard to make a reasonable live-action story about a bunch of misfits who form a club and, through trials, find friends in each other. In that regard, they could also keep the names and basic ideas of the character personalities, while doing it with more conventional Japanese actors.
You mean loosely adapt it and make Haganai into Japanese version of The Breakfast Club?

Still, you can’t deny that some of the core characters’ issues come partly from their physiques. For example, Kodaka’s blondish hair and “mean look” make many mistook him for a delinquent, Sena being envied by other students due to her being a knockout gorgeous girl with pretty face and great figure (and to some extent, her blonde hair). Important things like that must be brought up even in a live-action imo.
Old 2013-05-04, 21:50   Link #19
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
You mean loosely adapt it and make Haganai into Japanese version of The Breakfast Club?

Still, you can’t deny that some of the core characters’ issues come partly from their physiques. For example, Kodaka’s blondish hair and “mean look” make many mistook him for a delinquent, Sena being envied by other students due to her being a knockout gorgeous girl with pretty face and great figure (and to some extent, her blonde hair). Important things like that must be brought up even in a live-action imo.
Well, it depends on how close they want the story to be to the source. I'm just meaning that it's not hard to think of ways of making a similar story with similar elements that eliminates the parts that are harder to represent in live-action. In the end, they've got to fit the whole tale in under two hours anyway, so a lot of details can be omitted to create something the average viewer can relate to, even they deviate in the specific ways they convey those points.

Like I said, I think this is why the author is sort of telling people to think of it as something separate.
Old 2013-05-04, 22:54   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it depends on how close they want the story to be to the source. I'm just meaning that it's not hard to think of ways of making a similar story with similar elements that eliminates the parts that are harder to represent in live-action. In the end, they've got to fit the whole tale in under two hours anyway, so a lot of details can be omitted to create something the average viewer can relate to, even they deviate in the specific ways they convey those points.

Like I said, I think this is why the author is sort of telling people to think of it as something separate.
Well, considering that the Japanese did well with live action Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, Grave of the Fireflies, etc I do hope that they at least try to be faithful with the look of the characters considering that his look is the core problem for the male MC, Kodaka (and to some extent, Kobato).