AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-14, 01:52   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

What's your Otaku Quotient? (Scenes like the Chalkboard in episode 1)

Remember all those bizarre references in the chalk board in epiosde 1? Negima is chock full of references to other shows. Some people get those references and some people don't. The people who get them have a much higher Otaku Quotient. This thread is a chance to prove your Otaku-ness by explaining those references to people who don't get it.

Some rules:
  1. Only discuss things that test your Otaku Quotent. And stick to discussing only things that happen in Negima?! This is not a thread to discuss random shows whose only relevancy is a line of text on a chalkboard.

2. Don't just give huge lists from many episode. Generally most of the older references will have been mentioned already. Try to talk about what you saw in the latest episode unless someone asks about one of the older episodes.

3. Read the thread before you ask about some references. Nobody expects you to read the whole thread once it gets over 10 pages, but at least read the last 2 pages to see what has already been mentioned from the most recent episode.

4. Try not to spoil the episode. Many of these references have no relevancy to the rest of the episode, but if something could be a spoiler, please use a spoiler tag. It works like this:
    [spoiler=Episode 27]Just after Negi dies, you see a really cool message written on his forehead.[/spoiler]

Spoiler for Episode 27:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-10-14, 02:18   Link #2
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Haha, the whole chalkboard is a dork test mang lol

I only got the AzuDai reference in the 1st ep. I'd rather not get every reference on the chalkboard cos being an otaku is bad D:
Old 2006-10-14, 03:13   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, you're already doomed because you used the shorthand "AzuDai" ... too late.
Old 2006-10-17, 20:20   Link #4
eggplant
Eggplant

This exercise reminds me of the time I spent rummaging through references when I was translating Pani Poni Dash!

This is proof that the chalkboard references for Negima!? are random jabs intended for otaku folks, and certainly not for the people who watch it live during the evening.

Negima references

ep1

Title and illustration drawn by Satou Rina (Negi Springfield)
Chamo's line: ダミダコリャ (It's no good) is the trademark gag by the late Ikariya Chousuke of the comdedy group The Drfiters
Asuna's pose while sleeping: Similar to Takuan Oshou from MUSASHI -GUN DOU-
Chamo's line about not being able to eat frozen Mandarin oranges without a front tooth: from the song 冷凍みかん (Reitou Mikan=Frozen Madarin Oranges), which contains the line, It makes my cavity hurt
The magic circle that appears when Negi casts his spell: Similar to that from the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series
Asuna's headgear: typical baka dono type of wig, especially seen in the Shimura Ken Baka Dono TV variety series
Chalkboard 1: 今夜のご飯は? What's tonight's meal?
Chalkboard 2: ズバリ魚肉ソーセージ!でしょ? I bet it's fish-paste suasages!: Reference to Yamamoto Yohsuke from the anime Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, where fish-paste sausages are his favorite food
On the desk between Natsumi and Chizuru is an Odenkan, the pre-packed oden in a can, sold in vending machines, popular among the otaku folks who frequent Akihabara
On Chao's desk stands the Xianxingzhe (Senkousha/Forerunner), a bipedal humanoid robot built in China in 2000, which quickly became the target of 2ch jokes, such as its "Chinese Cannon" monicker for what seems to be a cannon-like crotch on its joints
The silhouette on Asuna's happi: Akagi Shigeru from the anime Akagi
Emboidery on Asuna's happi: Mesousa from Pani Poni Dash!, the character on her sensu (folding fan) is Babo-chan, the mascot for Fuji TV's Volleyball World Grand Prix coverage
Yue's drink: 超神水 (Super Kami Water), the name of the drink Kami gives Gokuu in the anime Dragon Ball Z
Emboidery on Asuna's happi: Switches from Mesousa to Nekokamisama to Ousanshouuo (all from the anime Pani Poni Dash!)
Chalkboard 3: 消しゴムのカドって〜, (What's the corner of an eraser?), オギワラとハギワラってー (Ogiwara and Hagiwara is): Both are jokes by the comedian Fukawa Ryou, the first being "Don't get pissed just because I used the corner of your eraser!", and the latter being "Ogiwara or Hagiwara, no difference" (because the kanji for the words closely resemble each other as in 荻原 vs. 萩原)
Line by Takamichi: 産休の大月先生に代わって (Substituting for Mrs. Ootsuki, who is on maternity leave): The executive planner for Negima!? is named Ootsuki Toshimichi
Chalkboard 4: うおっ!まぶしっ!! (Whoa! It's blinding!!): Line by Musashi in episode 2 of the anime MUSASHI GUN DOU, after Musashi fails to hit Jijouda with his Onmyoudan. The problem was that there was absolutely no indication of him being dazzled by any kind of light during the sequence, making the line a fixture for Musashi jokes among anime fans in Japan
Chalkboard 5: 暑ゅかたでしょ (Hot, wasn't it?), 第24回ガースー祭 (The 24th Gaasuu Festival)
Chalkboard 6: トーマス=マクレガー (Thomas McGregor), コンニチハーートーーキョーウ (Konnichiwa Tokyo)
Chalkboard 7: パンツ パンツ無いわぁ (My pants, my pants are gone!): All five are jokes from the TV variety program "Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahen de" (Dowtown's This Ain't no Kiddy Chore), Gaasuu and Thomas McGregor are nicknames of the producer Suga Kenji
Chalkboard 8: ハリ返してハリ返されて? (If you've been sticked, stick it in return): A quote written on a Devil Bikkuriman sticker, ちゅから (Chukara): One liner by Chuukara no Sabu (Mild Spicy Sabu) from the movie "Tachiguishi Retsuden" (Legend of the Standing-style Eatery Masters)
Sticker on the bottom of the metronome next to Nodoka : Nekokamisama from Pani Poni Dash!
Chalkboard 9: ふかわくん一言ネタやってよー (Fukawa-kun, do a one word joke)
Chalkboard 10: しっこく (Shikkoku): The two are from the aforementioned "Gaki Tsukai" show, the latter is a joke by Dynamite Shikoku, a fictious wrestler played by comedian Endou Shouzou of Coco Rico, parodying the "Hustle, Hustle" joke of Ogawa Naoya by chanting "Shikkoku, Shikkoku", ざわ・・・ ざわ・・・ (Zawa...Zawa...): Trademark sound effect used in the manga Akagi to express the bustling noise associated with mahjong parlors
Chalkboard 11: 今日、東京都庁にジャムパン仕掛けた! (Today, I planted a jam bread in the Tokyo Metropolitan City Hall): A 2ch thread in the VIP topics
Chalkboard 12: 犯人の名前がタイトルというのはどうなのでしょう (What's with the title having the suspect's name on it?): From the TV drama "Odoru Daisousasen" (Basyside Shakedown) series
Chalkboard 13: えっ!? 友好的なワードナー? (Huh? A friendly Werdna?): The archnemesis in the RPG Wizardry, 田口ヤーブロー (Taguchi (Ya Bro)): The spell "Ya Bro" in the RPG "Dungeon Master" resembles the kanji 田口, which is read as Taguchi, ♂押忍♂ オラ、ガクブルン (Osu, I'm gakuburun): Not sure of this one, except that it's the greeting of Son Gokuu in the anime Dragon Ball Z
Chalkboard 14: あぁぁ まってー (Ahhh, wait for meee): Line by Miyata Akira in the anime Pani Poni Dash!, An illustration of Chiyo-chan's head and braids from the anime Azumanga Daioh
Chalkboard 15: だっぽん (Dappon): Line by Zaizen Joutarou from the self titled anime, where he is supposed to be saying "Da Bomb", which can only be heard as Dappon, making it the trademark line for the title
Chalkboard 16: んんん〜〜〜ジャイアント光線だな (Hmmm, it's a giant beam) Line from the anime Gunbuster?
Chalkboard 17: 男塾万歳っ (Otokojuku Banzai): from the manga Sakigake! Otokojuku, ちょちょ(っと?)まてー!! (H-Hey, wait a second!!) いまいましいイギリス野郎 (You cursed Brit): lines by Stroheim directed towards Joseph Joestar in the anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
Next episode title: Written by Kanda Akemi (Kagurazaka Asuna)
Bakarangers: Opening sequence from the live action tokusatsu sentai series, Battle Fever J. The logo design is identical to Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan.
Bakarangers are also modeled after the Sun Vulcan troops.
Sponsor credit background is drawn by Satou Rina (Negi)

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Old 2006-10-17, 20:34   Link #5
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
o_O; I'm surprised you actually got all those references.

I dunno whether I should bow down to you or like run away scared xD

Quote:
and certainly not for the people who watch it live during the evening
That'd be us at Mahora o .o;

Last edited by Jinsoo; 2006-10-17 at 20:46.
Old 2006-10-17, 21:13   Link #6
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I'm more surprised that you bothered to go though the trouble to organize all those images.

By myself, I was able to get about half of the references (for non-Japanese natives, the TV show references are pretty much impossible to understand. Hell, even Japanese natives won't get them all unless all they do is watch TV/anime/play games/be a NEET otaku in general all day).

(borrowing eggplant's anime image)

And we're only talking about episode 1 too. ^^;
Old 2006-10-17, 21:36   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
Chalkboard 1: 今夜のご飯は? What's tonight's meal?
Chalkboard 2: ズバリ魚肉ソーセージ!でしょ? I bet it's fish-paste suasages!: Reference to Yamamoto Yohsuke from the anime Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, where fish-paste sausages are his favorite food
Which, is also one of the anime that director Shinbou Akiyuki did.

Also, it looks like Hakase is the one that inherited the "shiny forehead" this time.
Old 2006-10-19, 10:44   Link #8
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

In episode 2 the Jar-like thing that falls over Kamo had a girl and a logo on it, but I couldnt recognize neither, does somebody knows from where they came?
Old 2006-10-19, 10:50   Link #9
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Soulblade View Post
In episode 2 the Jar-like thing that falls over Kamo had a girl and a logo on it, but I couldnt recognize neither, does somebody knows from where they came?
I believe she's a character from Akamatsu's manga A.I. Love You.
Old 2006-10-23, 11:37   Link #10
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
This is cool. I'm creating a wiki. For Negima and all this stuff.

(the chalkboard is killing me<-if you know who i am you know what i mean and thats no one here.)
Old 2006-10-23, 12:43   Link #11
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire] View Post
This is cool. I'm creating a wiki. For Negima and all this stuff.

(the chalkboard is killing me<-if you know who i am you know what i mean and thats no one here.)
Two questions I need to ask about this Negima Wiki:

1. Will it include information about the manga?
2. Can you provide a link to the site when it's ready?
Old 2006-10-24, 09:23   Link #12
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

The wiki is already created. Were just setting up things. It will have everything "Negima!?" including the new Neo manga. Thats if the wikiers fill like adding it.

Edit:
Well the site is up. Nothing is added. We would like it to be like wannabe's school rumble wiki. We will move things around as things start flowing.
http://www.megamivisuals.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited by [darkfire]; 2006-10-24 at 11:51.
Old 2006-10-24, 12:43   Link #13
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire] View Post
The wiki is already created. Were just setting up things. It will have everything "Negima!?" including the new Neo manga. Thats if the wikiers fill like adding it.
That's not what I meant. What I meant when I mentioned the manga is the original manga that's still running in Shounen Magazine.
Old 2006-10-25, 09:04   Link #14
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Yah Your free to add the orginal MSN manga and tv show if you want. No body is stopping you
Old 2006-11-07, 23:34   Link #15
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Pani Poni Dash! Imagery from Ep. #4

That's gotta be the rabbit....

Click me!

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-11-07 at 23:54.
Old 2006-11-08, 14:33   Link #16
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

The rabbit also shows up in episode 6, during a scene involving Haruna and Yue.

Some other things I noticed in episode 4:

-During the shot of the "eggs" underneath Negi and Takahata, one of them is actually that jewel that Griffith carries with him in Berserk.
-When Chamo tells the two "annoying mascot" characters that Nodoka has a Pactio with Negi, I believe that that a sound effect from Puzzle Bobble (Bust-a-Move) can be heard.
Old 2006-11-25, 12:15   Link #17
darky
I belong to Darkness

Send a message via MSN to darky
Quote:
-During the shot of the "eggs" underneath Negi and Takahata, one of them is actually that jewel that Griffith carries with him in Berserk.
your right and I was thinking there where did I see this egg ...
Old 2006-11-25, 13:24   Link #18
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Some more references that I've found:

Various episodes:

-Konoka is sometimes seen having the same eyes as Ichijou from Pani Poni Dash (no surprise since Ai Nonaka voices both characters, and most of the Negima!? staff also worked on PPD).

Episode 5:

-During the still of Negi taking the blame of Chamo's peeing on Asuna's sheets, Asuna is seen wearing the same yellow dress that Asuka wore when her character was introduced in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Episode 7:

-The Triforce from the Legend of Zelda is seen in the "video game" shot of Haruna and Ku Fei's room.

Episode 8:

Spoiler:

-The Chupacabra t-shirts that Asuna gives to the twins features a pair of Chupacabra performing the Fusion technique from Dragon Ball Z.
Old 2006-11-25, 15:34   Link #19
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Episode 2 - The flashback about Eva and Negi's father has some animation identical to the first scene in the first episode of Noein. Specifically, you can see Kosagi's and Fukurou's attack animations, and the animation of Karasu entering the field.
Old 2006-11-25, 16:04   Link #20
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Man, with all these fun references, who's willing to type it all in here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...d=6708&page=22

Closed Thread