AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-17, 13:49   Link #1021
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Oh good, so as long as you die for what you believe in, everything is ok. How fighting shounen of you!
Old 2010-05-17, 19:22   Link #1022
Slave0fLife
O_O

Well, since I believe there is no absolute right and wrong, doing what you think is the most correct thing to do is the best option. In my case, I believe that I can never impose anything on others if they are not imposing anything on me - if I can't convince them rationally and politely, and they are respectfully discussing something with a different opinion, I just have to find a better way to explain myself or accept that we have different premises.
I do believe I have a right to defend myself if I am attacked (for example, religious people trying to convert me) - then, I don't have a problem fighting back in my concept of justice. But, if I lose at defending myself, be it physically or verbally - well, I have to find a way to get stronger in either aspect to prevent being defeated again.
Old 2010-05-18, 02:15   Link #1023
roriconfan
Banned

It's not like I disagree with this. It's more like "I do what I like" than "justice".
Old 2010-05-18, 22:04   Link #1024
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave0fLife View Post

Just a reminder, I don't agree with most of what Light did. I just know that I would probably die trying to find a way to fight against him, since he had much more power and was a lot more intelligent than I am. Would my death while trying to defeat him be wrong? To me, it certainly would, but to him, it would not. But in the end, both of us would be trying to fight for what we believe in with what we have - the problem is I would have lost
That is crazy trying to oppose Light if he was real, but admirable. To me Light actually did more good than evil when getting rid of the criminals. Decreaseing 70% of the crime rate around the world accomplishes way more than any government or police can do. I don't really understand why the Japanese police force and other countries would openly oppose Kira. If he wants criminals just give them there names for more inoccents can get spared.

Secretly there should be an investigation to figure out who is Kira when the criminal rate drops almost to Zero
Old 2010-05-19, 04:00   Link #1025
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
That is crazy trying to oppose Light if he was real, but admirable. To me Light actually did more good than evil when getting rid of the criminals. Decreaseing 70% of the crime rate around the world accomplishes way more than any government or police can do. I don't really understand why the Japanese police force and other countries would openly oppose Kira. If he wants criminals just give them there names for more inoccents can get spared.

Secretly there should be an investigation to figure out who is Kira when the criminal rate drops almost to Zero
He wasn't killing only criminals. He was killing anyone he didn't like, including simple street bullies, police officers, overzealous supporters and his own lovers. Thus he was not saving lives. He was killing anyone the criminals would anyway.
Old 2010-05-19, 08:24   Link #1026
Slave0fLife
O_O

In my point of view, the problem with Kira was that he really started to get “crazy with power”. As L pointed out during the first episodes, he is childish, hates to lose, and although he maintains a calm exterior, inside he is very impulsive. L, I believe, would have been a better Kira, since he apparently isn’t as influenced by emotions as Light was.
Light managed to do incredible manipulations, but still wasn’t able to avoid killing people close to him when they got “too close”.
But roricofan, I don’t remember him being against people who opposed him but weren’t capable of doing anything either than that. For example, I believe I could shout out “Kira is a b****”, and he wouldn’t care, since I wouldn’t be a threat to him, and would be a needless effort. He did kill whoever found out that it was someone and not a god who was killing and started to get too close. I could be wrong though, I don’t remember much of the rest of the series after L got killed (after that, I kind of lost interest and only watched until the end to see what the ending would be like).
Either way, he started to get too crazy with power, and I don’t doubt that he would start killing people “just for teh lulz”.

But as I stated, if the rapists and cold-blooded murdering psycopaths were to be killed, I would not care, as it would be my view of justice. Actually, even killing them would be less than justice, as I think the pain they caused people wouldn’t be compensated with a swift death. A person who was raped has been hurt and traumatized for the rest of their life, so I think an adequate punishment would be hurting the rapist throughout his entire life. This wouldn’t be very practical, but as I don’t think there is a hell for them to go to, they should suffer punishment in this life, which I believe is all there is.
Old 2010-05-19, 11:16   Link #1027
roriconfan
Banned

^ An eye for an eye way of justice only escalates problems. Instant death or forgiveness work better.
Old 2010-05-20, 02:29   Link #1028
Knightrunner

Actually, criminals in high calibars that commit rape and murder should be dealt with a slow death and be shown as examples if you mess with human life this will be your punishment.

Kira started out good until he stared challenging "L" like the first episode.lol. Even though he killed all innocent people he did bring the result of lessening the crime of 70%. When he was killing criminals at first I don't know why police officers want to deal with and punish him. I would just let him run his course, but instead they want to make it a contest to see who would find his identity first.

Like what SlaveofLife said I don't think Light would kill people if you disagree with him as long as you are not a threat. Maybe if he gets really paranoid he will do kills like that.
Old 2010-05-20, 02:48   Link #1029
roriconfan
Banned

If the crimes dropped 70%, may I ask if Kira's killings were accounted in the ratings? Or were the ones making the poll, made sure not to include him because they were afraid of their lives?

And is all that matters to stop a criminal from committing a crime or to not have a society that creates criminals? Fight the symptoms and never the root of the problem? That is a placebo solution. The yearn for crime is still there, criminals simply think twice to do it.
Old 2010-05-20, 19:26   Link #1030
Knightrunner

Actually in the manga, after Light was killed shinigama started to go to the living world. People start obtaining deathnotes killing all kinds of people such as the old. The downside is that when different people obtain deathnote they end up writing there own name within a week becasue they are supposively weak in the soul or do not have determination.

Near is the one that gave that statistic about the 70% crime rate drop around the world and mention it would be an insult to compare other deathnote users as imatations of Kira since they are plain killers.

I think it is important to stop criminals from commiting crimes and to create a society that create these criminals. Criminals that rape and murder have no excuse so they need to cut them from the system.

It is important to fight the symptoms and the root of the problem. However if you can't find the root of the problem it is best to fight the symptoms for the sickness will not spread.
Old 2010-05-21, 02:08   Link #1031
roriconfan
Banned

I am from Greece. If a Death Note popped in this country, all the politicians would be the first to go. The problem is, the money the embezzled would be lost as well so death is not an option.
Killing a dictator is also a bad option. The uproar that will follow will kill tens of thousands and it will probably end up being replaced by yet another dictator.
Looks like Death Note works better at pickpockets.
Old 2010-05-21, 02:34   Link #1032
Knightrunner

Well, it works well against robbers, murderers, and rapers too. I think of death note as a quicker gun that nobody can see.

Remember deathnote can control people too so maybe before the die in two years they can donate money to the needy or to the people before they get a heart attack. Is Greece politicians really that bad for them to get hit by a deathnote? I live in the United States. Depends how bad the dictator is and like you said even higher ups are replacable so if another corrupt one comes then Light will take care of him too until a decent one comes along.
Old 2010-05-21, 22:22   Link #1033
Knightrunner

It is ashame how Greece might fall apart after the rich stole the people's money. I think I see what you mean about deathnote now.
Old 2010-05-25, 01:48   Link #1034
Mello'sDisciple

Light was not right , because he didn't use the DeathNote to rid the world of evil . He used it to get power. And Mello was the hero
Old 2010-05-31, 17:57   Link #1035
yakumo-chan

If I were to get myself my own death note I would do what light did.....

Although I wont do exactly what he did.... he killed off his own comrads.....

I think the most foolish thing that light have ever did was that he killed the "fake L" in the broad cast T.V. If he didnt kill him he will never be caught......

I would also broadcast to the world that every human who are doing bad things will be killed... And I wont tell to anyone how I do it.....

first off... I will kill the terorists that are killing many inoccent humans in this world.....

I got this words from the movie called "WANTED"

"just kill a one person and you will save hundreds of persons"

the story was that he failed to kill the guy.... and what happened in the future was that the guy whom he failed to kill, have been killing hundreds of people.....

so for me...... to kill a one.., means to save a many....

Last edited by yakumo-chan; 2010-05-31 at 18:16.
Old 2010-08-02, 05:26   Link #1036
Hsadman
Lashloseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
If I were to get myself my own death note I would do what light did.....

Although I wont do exactly what he did.... he killed off his own comrads.....

I think the most foolish thing that light have ever did was that he killed the "fake L" in the broad cast T.V. If he didnt kill him he will never be caught......

I would also broadcast to the world that every human who are doing bad things will be killed... And I wont tell to anyone how I do it.....

first off... I will kill the terorists that are killing many inoccent humans in this world.....

I got this words from the movie called "WANTED"

"just kill a one person and you will save hundreds of persons"

the story was that he failed to kill the guy.... and what happened in the future was that the guy whom he failed to kill, have been killing hundreds of people.....

so for me...... to kill a one.., means to save a many....
Thats the thing though, you have to make the decision whether or not that person really deserves to die.

I mean, a teenage boy can be convicted to murder, but does he really deserve to die?

Your morality is of course going to affect your decision, Light had that, 'I am god', vibe going on, so he thought of what he did as divine justice.

I personally believe people should be renewed into society, through various means, not just killed off.

This decision however, also is affected by many other factors (Much too many to list) So in reality, the amount of stress called by this, by the thought of whether they deserve to die or not, is enormous, and takes someone with true determination to continue using it.

Spoiler for Manga:

- Lashloseus
Old 2010-08-08, 10:27   Link #1037
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

In the end, the end is what matters.

Kill a hundred - no, a million people and the ones still alive and reflect and think "Why are so many people dying?".

When they are all criminials, it should be obvious why the die.

1. Because they prevent progression and peace.
2. Society does not benefit from them in the least.
3. Killing criminials indiscriminately and with the same method is a message; "You do onto others as you do unto yourself." - you had it coming.

I don't see the problem with the theory and the method. I see the problem with Light, however. Even though he killed criminials, he never felt a hint of guilt for anyone that got in his way or for the lives he ruined.

I think the one most capable of cleaning the world would have been Mikami. But of course... it had to be Light that ended up with the Death Note.
Old 2010-08-13, 06:42   Link #1038
numb3rs

i LOVED this anime. it was almost the whole time i was at the edge of my seat. (literally)
i hated it to end but, really, c'mon. if it had kept going, it would be boring. like, naruto. (sorry naruto fans ): but it just keeps going on and on. i thik it's better to keep it short and sweet.

don't you think it was poetic, how he died in the middle of the stairs ? like he never made it up to the top (as in making a new world) but he made it half way.
i guess another point of view would point out it also symbolizing how he never went to heaven nor hell. the top and bottom of the stairs are called just that. the middle has noname. insinnuating nothing (MU)
Old 2010-08-13, 06:48   Link #1039
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
In the end, the end is what matters.

Kill a hundred - no, a million people and the ones still alive and reflect and think "Why are so many people dying?".

When they are all criminials, it should be obvious why the die.

1. Because they prevent progression and peace.
2. Society does not benefit from them in the least.
3. Killing criminials indiscriminately and with the same method is a message; "You do onto others as you do unto yourself." - you had it coming.

I don't see the problem with the theory and the method. I see the problem with Light, however. Even though he killed criminials, he never felt a hint of guilt for anyone that got in his way or for the lives he ruined.

I think the one most capable of cleaning the world would have been Mikami. But of course... it had to be Light that ended up with the Death Note.
Making me think one of the old quotes "An eye for an eye" "A life for a life" but in the anime its more like "A life for a crime". Also I suppose that Light killing criminals on a daily basis does affect his "Humanity" view of people, he even din't care for his father's life, just wanted the information that his father had before dying.

Quote:
don't you think it was poetic, how he died in the middle of the stairs ? like he never made it up to the top (as in making a new world) but he made it half way.
i guess another point of view would point out it also symbolizing how he never went to heaven nor hell. the top and bottom of the stairs are called just that. the middle has noname. insinnuating nothing (MU)
It sorta is poetic in the way you describe it.
Old 2010-08-13, 10:39   Link #1040
numb3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post

It sorta is poetic in the way you describe it.
thanks (:

SIDENOTE- was looking at the thread title.
the ends don't necessarily justify the means, but the way they portrayed the conversion of light going a tad bit insane after ______ L. Taylor taunts him on the tv
to the point where he starts to recognize himself as justice and eventually, (& falsely) as a god.

~the ends portray but do not fulfill the means~