AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 11 23.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 34.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-04, 00:43   Link #21
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I thought Kanba can't be the one to save Himari? Now the POC says he can do it.
Old 2011-11-04, 00:47   Link #22
YayPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
Sanetoshi was the one who told him he couldn't. He might have been lying. Or maybe POC is lying/wrong. Who knows?
Old 2011-11-04, 01:04   Link #23
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I really thought Yuri was gonna be the biggest problem this episode; it really was worrying me when she couldn't contain her anger to the Takakuras. Good thing Masako came and interferred her.

What I wasn't expecting though was for Tabuki to finally show his true colors. It looks like he still has the same grudge for the Takakuras as much as Yuri does; if not more.

Weird tidbits in this episode are the bunny-kids saying how bad girls need to be punished and Himari-with-the-hat telling Kanba about the Penguindrum. Though in turn Himari did say that the doctor let her out for a while which means there really is something fishy going on- or fate.

Also things that are left unanswered are Kanba's relationship with Masako's father (It's probably somehow obvious already that Kanba's father is Masako's father), his relationship with Himari-with-the-hat and Momoka's relationship with the Takakura's (which was slightly mentioned this episode on how she tried to stop them).

I think everyone besides Sanetoshi pretty much has their backstory already (maybe they'll pad out more Tabuki's) and I think Penguindrum is almost prepared to enter its finale so I'm very excited.
Old 2011-11-04, 03:39   Link #24
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I saw the event different in my case. Yuri and Tabuki, both have the misery of losing Momoka. However while Yuri seems to be more honest on her hatred toward the Takakuras (and even start to image on shooting Himari with her crossbow), Tabuki could turn out to be the more insane one. If he really plan to kill Himari, it's not a case of uncontrolled hatred from his part, but worse, a calculated act: he gonna kill Himari and throw the boys into the same suffering he did...

Afterall Yuri still have a higher goal of reviving Momoka, so she can't act reckless. I don't think the crossbow was specifically for Himari,since she brought it with her even before knowing Himari there. So the killing intent could be just temporary. But for Tabuki, it's possible that revenge has been his only source of life since he does not believe Momoka can still be alive.

Some assumptions in my part of course, but could be a twist on Tabuki and Yuri dynamics.
Old 2011-11-04, 04:24   Link #25
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I think everyone besides Sanetoshi pretty much has their backstory already (maybe they'll pad out more Tabuki's) and I think Penguindrum is almost prepared to enter its finale so I'm very excited.
Pretty sure next episode is Tabuki's flashback central. I'm not sure why you think he's had his backstory told like everyone else.

This episode almost had me fooled into thinking all this time anticipating what depravity lingered around our glasses-wearing bishie was for wont. Then the elevator. And those colors. And the background music. Good to know he isn't going to disappoint!

It's weird, because I realize nothing actual bad has happened to anyone in the present really, but so much bad has happened in the past that it's easy to get sucked into thinking something horrible is going to happen. So, realistically, Himari probably gets saved in some way, but I can't help but feel all in suspense over her fate next week.

That's when I realize how good this show is.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-11-04, 05:54   Link #26
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If Tabuki really had a grudge then why did he say what he said to Yuri? Hopefully they'll explain that in the next episode.

Anyway it has to be said: that scene between Yuri and Natsume was Fabulous Max.
Old 2011-11-04, 07:17   Link #27
Sides

No! Ringo being used. I guess it sucks to be her at the moment, being stuck between these two families/fractions.
As for Masako and Yuri's stand-off, I couldn't stop laughing, a mini gun against a crossbow...
Old 2011-11-04, 09:32   Link #28
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I don't get it. If Yuri and Tabuki aren't as close, then why marry in the first place? What would they possibly gain by doing so? I refuse to believe that their marriage is just a sham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If Tabuki really had a grudge then why did he say what he said to Yuri? Hopefully they'll explain that in the next episode.
Either Tabuki really is batshit insane crazy (or just in denial when he was talking to Yuri), or this cliffhanger is yet another red herring. I mean, Shoma getting hit by a car, Himari not being able to be revived anymore, and Ringo getting raped were all not as bad as the cliffhangers suggested from where it left off.

So yeah, not going to be surprised if Tabuki isn't as sinister as he sounded in the next episode.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-11-04, 11:25   Link #29
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
he's probably gonna cliche....ly, use Himara as bait, luring her brothers to him for some reason or another, though that would be awful as it's pretty much already been done in the show.

Ringo is coming out smelling like roses these days. I guess she passed her crazy on to everyone else she came in contact with.
Old 2011-11-04, 11:36   Link #30
zeando
maybenotimome

to me it looks like sanetoshi and momoka(hat) are competing with himari as field of competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Either Tabuki really is batshit insane crazy (or just in denial when he was talking to Yuri), or this cliffhanger is yet another red herring. I mean, Shoma getting hit by a car, Himari not being able to be revived anymore, and Ringo getting raped were all not as bad as the cliffhangers suggested from where it left off.

So yeah, not going to be surprised if Tabuki isn't as sinister as he sounded in the next episode.
i'm guessing the same, but not for the possible red herring cliffanger
who knows, tabuki's way to pass judjement/revenge may be something less phisical as simply killing, as yuri's way looked like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Does anyone else find it ironic that Ringo has become the sanest person in the cast and Masako is now the heroine?
ironic and funny/amusing to watch :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Ringo is coming out smelling like roses these days. I guess she passed her crazy on to everyone else she came in contact with.
insanity is contagious?
well they can't be all crazy at the same time, someone sane should be there xD
Old 2011-11-04, 11:59   Link #31
Kirarakim

Ikuhara said the point of Ringo is she was supposed to be the first character we realize is messed up and has a secret. But in reality every character has a secret and is just as messed up if not more so.

For the record I am not necessarily sure if Tabuki is trying to get revenge. He seems to change his mind about "punishing" the family when Yuri said "but Momoka is not dead". Just food for thought!
Old 2011-11-04, 13:39   Link #32
klare

this is sad, Tabuki and Yuri have grown up and have their own life but they still cannot forget Momoka, revenge is a bad thing...

the fabulous Yuri vs Masako duel might be more shown frequent after this

what happen to Kan and Himari inside the survival strategy...
Old 2011-11-04, 15:18   Link #33
pessimistic_freak

Send a message via MSN to pessimistic_freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
For the record I am not necessarily sure if Tabuki is trying to get revenge. He seems to change his mind about "punishing" the family when Yuri said "but Momoka is not dead". Just food for thought!
My guess is he wanted to be the one who carried out the revenge in Yuri's place. Maybe for the reason like "Momoka wouldn't want her best friend to get her hands dirty" Although it would still look kinda lame because he's Momoka's important person too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
what happen to Kan and Himari inside the survival strategy...
Wondering about that as hell too. You don't think this is the new way of initiating the survival strategy, do you? I don't know what to feel about this. Even though the mind is PoC, the body still belongs to Himari. Seeing her often stripped in front of her brother and seemingly made out with him kind of made me shudder....

Anyway I think we are just confirmed that Penguindrum is not the diary. At least not on its own being, but because someone made it so. And I think it's something intangible.
Old 2011-11-04, 15:27   Link #34
ookamigirl

Everything seems to be revolving around Momoka..
Himari still not free from penguin thing, doubt she'll ever be.
Ringo is at least acting more normal.
Ending was pretty interesting.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-11-04, 15:37   Link #35
YayPepsi

When did Momoka, Yuri and Tabuki all have time to play like that? Yuri made it sound like her few meetups with Momoka were right before she disappeared. When Yuri met Momoka, Yuri was preoccupied with her dad and barely trusted Momoka. Then Momoka got rid of her dad for her and Yuri said that she disappeared after that incident. It makes it sound like her disappearance was immediately after. But apparently she stuck around long enough for her to introduce Yuri to Tabuki and for the three of them to become friends?
Old 2011-11-04, 16:18   Link #36
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
When did Momoka, Yuri and Tabuki all have time to play like that? Yuri made it sound like her few meetups with Momoka were right before she disappeared. When Yuri met Momoka, Yuri was preoccupied with her dad and barely trusted Momoka. Then Momoka got rid of her dad for her and Yuri said that she disappeared after that incident. It makes it sound like her disappearance was immediately after. But apparently she stuck around long enough for her to introduce Yuri to Tabuki and for the three of them to become friends?
I think this is just an incorrect impression that a lot of people got. When we see Momoka in the hospital that was because of what she did to get rid of Yuri's father and change the tower.

When Momoka disappeared this was whatever she did to stop the Takakura parents.

These were two entirely different events. And in-between that time Momoka, Tabuki and Yuri could have grown close. Although I am sure they might not of had a very long time together but still enough to make an impact.
Old 2011-11-04, 16:39   Link #37
YayPepsi

I knew about Momoka and the Takakuras, but Yuri (or maybe the way it was translated) made it sound like that event with the subways happened right after Momoka got rid of Yuri's dad for her. But I guess more time really did pass.
Old 2011-11-04, 16:40   Link #38
Kazu-kun

Quote:
When we see Momoka in the hospital that was because of what she did to get rid of Yuri's father and change the tower.

When Momoka disappeared this was whatever she did to stop the Takakura parents.

These were two entirely different events.
This is correct.
Old 2011-11-04, 21:41   Link #39
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
yeah, like another poster said, that's sanetoshi's POV. and as we know, he's very much using kanba for his own gains as we speak in terms of "changing the world" or whatever his mission so his plan could very well be to make kanba think he's useless without sanetoshi's help.

speaking of kanba, wtf happened between him and PoC. are they still doing their previous arrangement, even though i was under the impression it was not needed? the end of their scene was very suggestive

as for the episode, i definitely enjoyed it. it was definitely a 'calm before the storm' episode and definitely solidified tabuki as somebody dangerous. it's interesting how yuri and tabuki had the same plan but did not alert each other (though tabuki called her and she ignored it).

in other news, masako is still hilarious and fierce. i'm loving her more and more. kanba screwed himself over with the sweater comment lol. ringo was adorbs with her choice of colour for sho.
Old 2011-11-04, 22:04   Link #40
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

But anyways other than that really good episode. Ishida Akira did a great job as Tabuki here. He did the monotone voice perfectly. Actually that whole scene with Yuri showing the separation between them was really well done. Now we can see it's only Momoka that joins them & really not by much.
Strange... I got the completely opposite impression. That almost despite themselves they are developing a husband and wife attachment to each other. Not that it's some great love affair, and it's obvious that Momoka is what binds them together. But beyond that there seemed to be true respect from Yuri towards Tabuki, and he seems to be truly gentle towards her.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread