Old 2012-10-30, 21:00   Link #82
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Hmmm, there is another line that could be use:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
What is there to have faith in?

These are the same cold-blooded fucks who sued grieving parents AND the old tombstone-carver Five Million dollars EACH for carving Winnie the Pooh on a stillborn baby's tombstone!!
Old 2012-10-30, 21:28   Link #83
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Any Star Wars is good Star Wars. Can't make band-wagon fans happy no matter what you do, anyways.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 21:32   Link #84
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I remembered the doom crying from when they bought Marvel, I'm pretty sure things will be fine.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 21:36   Link #85
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Wow I thought my friend was joking when he told me this a couple hours ago. I owe him an apology...
Old 2012-10-30, 22:15   Link #86
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I'm not a Stars Wars fan but I love Disney. Ep 7 will probably be better than the first 6 (not that I'm gonna see it or anything.) Glad Disney owns another big fandom and hope they'll do well.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 22:24   Link #87
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well maybe they wont mess up Star Wars that much but at less there more Star Wars coming
Old 2012-10-30, 22:47   Link #88
Xacual

http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20121030

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 22:48   Link #89
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Just herd about this.
Dunno what to say about these turn of events, I just hope they do not mess up Star Wars.
Old 2012-10-30, 23:06   Link #90
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Why can't they leave my childhood alone ;_;
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 23:09   Link #91
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Why can't they leave my childhood alone ;_;
Because they're psychological pedophiles who can't stop molesting our childhood dreams.
Old 2012-10-30, 23:17   Link #92
escimo
Paparazzi

OK. This was a bit of a surprise. Now, I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, the newer one... Not so much.

Frankly I'm not very worried about what's the ep. 7 going to be. The prequels showed clearly that Lucas is quite capable of screwing things up on his own, so he being bumped back to a role of a creative consultant is oh so very fine with me.

So might be all right. I doubt that it'll be any worse than what it would be if Lucas was holding the reins.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 23:42   Link #93
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Holy fucking shit. I was about to go to sleep and I hear about this.

Here's what Angry Joe had to say:

But Disney bought LucasFilm for only 4 billion dollars? REALLY? I guess after the prequels people don't put as much stock in the Star Wars franchise, as sad as that is.

But seriously... ... what the fuck? I still can't wrap my mind around this turn of events.

Well, as long as Star Wars VII has Mara Jade and does her justice (about a 1 in a trillion chance), I just might give it a chance.

Might.

But after the shitstorm that was the prequel series (Ep. III wasn't so bad), I dunno. I'm not sure if Disney buying up LucasFilm was the worst thing that ever happened or the best.... well, as long as George Lucas isn't directing them, they should be good.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:01   Link #94
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
I'm not a Stars Wars fan but I love Disney. Ep 7 will probably be better than 1-3 (not that I'm gonna see it or anything.) Glad Disney owns another big fandom and hope they'll do well.
Fixed.

After a royal spanking for your blasphemous mistake first of course
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 00:07   Link #95
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I get the feeling I was the only one who ever liked the prequel trilogy.
It's fine as long as you completely switch off your brain and ignore the terrible acting and ridiculously retarded plotholes and just watch the pretty lasers.

Personally I'm fine with this. Getting a new group of folks to work on Star Wars can only be good. Knowing the writers at Disney, at least we know the story will be well written. The only thing we might have to concede is that Star Wars might not be so much for the fans anymore as it is to appeal to a large demographic. Certainly I don't expect Disney's story writing to be WORSE than George Lucas'.

But in any case there's tons of Expanded Universe material to take from, whether from the Old Republic era or the Legacy era (the one with Cade Skywalker), or anything in-between. Or it might be something entirely new (which would be AWESOME).

I still like Disney overall for their classics, despite their tendencies to make sequels that flop. But at least they're better than Hollywood, which seems to insist on making shitty movie remakes and anime adaptions these days. And the recent Disney movies (Brave comes to mind) seem to suggest that Disney's still got it.

Naturally my only doubt is that it all seems really sudden. Is 2-3 years really enough time to get a whole new saga together? Considering all the other movies slated to be released in the interim (including Toy Story 4 scheduled for 2014, which I am still kinda dubious about) the worst thing that can happen is Episode VII being rushed and not given the time it so richly deserves. Because THAT would seriously suck.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:35   Link #96
Destined_Fate

An original story? What was wrong with the Novels?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 00:59   Link #97
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

How about faith in Lucasfilm, if you have none in Disney. With the green light(saber) given to a third trilogy, and the gloves off to get in more writers and directors, ILM can continue their wizardry. All they need is a good story.

The novels would certainly make it a quicker release, you know, they are already written and just need screenplay treatments.

The trouble there will be the actors. The better Star Wars novels take place within ten years of from the original film trilogy. The main actors are way older than that now.

But the prequels did to something. They showed that you don't need to use the main character aside from as a bridge element to tie the stories together. Episode VII could take place several decades in the future (the current EU for the main cast is up to 45 years after the Battle of Yavin). All they need really is R2-D2 and C-3PO to keep the story together with maybe Luke in the wise old man-teacher role. Leia and Han could be retired (if they aren't dead yet), and have the remaining Skywalker and Solo children doing whatever if the story doesn't remain generational (Anakin Skywalker - Luke Skywalker - Ben Skywalker). The droids are in some ways are the achors for the story. It is not about them, but they are witnesses and perhaps insert characters for the audiance.
Old 2012-10-31, 01:03   Link #98
Theo

Episode XI: We Still Haven't Made Back Our Investment
Episode XII: Getting Close, Just A Bit Until We Break Even
Episode XIII: Made A Huge Profit, Still Pumping Them Out Like Stale Moldy Call Of Dutys But Who Gives A Flying Shit?
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 01:13   Link #99
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
An original story? What was wrong with the Novels?
What's wrong with the novels is that they have characters played by actors that are currently too old now. And they're so iconic that replacing them might not be a great idea... it would be really awkward or completely ineffectual and we wouldn't buy them as the characters they're supposed to portray. Instant flop. They got LUCKY with Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. He and Liam Neeson were the only actors worth their salt in the prequels. And aside from Samuel Jackson, the only ones that have successful acting careers outside Star Wars. I can tell you it wasn't from discerning judgement on the part of the recruiters that chose Hayden Christensen.

Can any of you honestly say that you can imagine anyone else playing Luke but Mark Hamill? Or for heaven's sake anyone but Harrison Ford as Han Solo? I would hope not. Either they'd have to skip right ahead to current canon to match their ages (which would throw off countless fans NOT familiar with the Expanded Universe... I have several friends that love the movies but never read any of the books) or they'd have to go outside of known canon entirely. No way could they jump straight into the Yuuzhan Vong saga or Fate of the Jedi. NO WAY.
Spoiler for canon book spoilers:

Such would take plot-fu the likes to which even Kurosaki Ichigo would object.

OR. They could have something like the Star Wars: X-Wing saga with Wedge Antilles, Corran Horn, Lara Notsil, and the rest of Rogue and Wraith Squadrons. That would be cool for niche fans, but wouldn't appeal to larger audiences because it lacks Jedi or well-known characters outside of Wedge, Hobbie, and Janson. (Yes I know Corran becomes one later but he's unknown outside of the Expanded Universe)

Nothing wrong with the novels. They would just be, practically speaking, very difficult to pull off.

Not to mention it's been announced that it's not going to have the Skywalkers in it at all, which makes the whole argument moot.
Old 2012-10-31, 01:17   Link #100
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
How about faith in Lucasfilm, if you have none in Disney. With the green light(saber) given to a third trilogy, and the gloves off to get in more writers and directors, ILM can continue their wizardry. All they need is a good story.

The novels would certainly make it a quicker release, you know, they are already written and just need screenplay treatments.

The trouble there will be the actors. The better Star Wars novels take place within ten years of from the original film trilogy. The main actors are way older than that now.

But the prequels did to something. They showed that you don't need to use the main character aside from as a bridge element to tie the stories together. Episode VII could take place several decades in the future (the current EU for the main cast is up to 45 years after the Battle of Yavin). All they need really is R2-D2 and C-3PO to keep the story together with maybe Luke in the wise old man-teacher role. Leia and Han could be retired (if they aren't dead yet), and have the remaining Skywalker and Solo children doing whatever if the story doesn't remain generational (Anakin Skywalker - Luke Skywalker - Ben Skywalker). The droids are in some ways are the achors for the story. It is not about them, but they are witnesses and perhaps insert characters for the audiance.
http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/s...casfilm-source

With a presumed 2015 release date, any news right now should likely be taken with a huge grain of salt, but I know I'd much rather have an original story than to have any of the novels I've cherished (especially those by Timothy Zahn) rehashed.

Edit: Love the following comment on that article: Who care's if psycho star wars fan complain, they're still going to watch the movies so stop whining.

So true. I may have hated Jar Jar Binks with a passion, but that didn't stop me from lining up for movies two and three for hours on release night.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars