AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

View Poll Results: Accel World - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 15 15.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 32.65%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 26.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 6.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-09, 17:16   Link #21
judasmartel
*Author

If anyone has been that deep into online gaming, you might know some really good players (I mean at the very high level of competition) who are much less than attractive in real life. It's really like that.
Old 2012-10-10, 14:00   Link #22
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
If anyone has been that deep into online gaming, you might know some really good players (I mean at the very high level of competition) who are much less than attractive in real life. It's really like that.
like I've said, I don't have a problem with people being nice about haru. I'm a competitive PvPer in a few MMOs myself, and I've always respected the top players, I would respect them if I met them in RL regardless of what they may look like. however, I do not think I would idolize them...

Then again, I don't idolize football quarterbacks, popstars, or anything of the sort either... maybe It's just me lol... anyway, my rating of the show stands. and of course, I'm not here to try to change anyone else's opinions
Old 2012-11-18, 03:05   Link #23
HasuMasu
*Artist

Guess who's late to the party again.

So I had a lot to say about this just a second ago but after reading this thread most of it went to a far away land I cannot reach.

Here's what I still remember. I liked the series overall though it did disappoint me a bit, I never quite liked anything more than Cyan Pile vs. Silver Crow here. It was a combination of many good things that couldn't be done at any point other than the beginning so I understand but still.

Now one last thing I remember is that I thought more than once about how Bios would fit so well into all this, Shu needs his background music.
Old 2013-01-07, 23:03   Link #24
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well if that is coming late to the party then I guess this is not going at all, right?

I still want to say something.

Overall I give the series a: 7/10

It is a very good series. Even when, if I come down to it, could be consider just another shonen. There is something on Accel World that made me like it even when the story is something I am sure I have seen already and the characters, while not bad, weren’t that interesting. Even the looks of the anime while really clean, nice and a very interesting take on the future I may add, wasn’t all that impressive or new. So, in short, I am not sure why I ended up liking the series as I did to the point I can’t compare it to others I have seen and forget rather fast. There has to be something.

So I love it. The fights, the setting, the game, the over the top and yet somehow fitting dialogue, etc. Is just made everything right to aim for an enjoyable and simple story with some interesting things to add some flavor on it. The Brain Buster program and its obvious benefits make it really easy to understand why anyone will always want to keep such power and even the Accel World itself was addicted enough to make us all see what is so appealing, for the characters, to have such things.

And that being say I do think the characters are nice. Most people seem to mind Haru because of his odd and deform looks; I mean the guy has the body of a fat garden gnome, but aside from that he does fit his role. Is strange to see how he gets so many cute and beautiful ladies around him but to be fair there is something about his natural kindness and simple attitude that some girls could find interesting enough to at least like him a bit when they get to know him. Of course Kuroyukihime is really something and every single moment she was on screen I could not help it but like her. So really there is that.

About the other two I don’t have that much to say since even when Taku does participates more than Chiyu, his actions overall never quite get me interest until Nomi came to play and by that point we reach what many consider the worse part of the series. While I still enjoy some of it and the ending was just so neat that I am glad it happen, the part when Nomi is the antagonist is may less favorite part of all the story. And it comes down to the fact that is drag too long about Nomi and no about the real problem: the new Burst Linkers that we don’t see on the list of players. There was where the story really rest and no so much on Dust Taker.

Then again the show isn’t without flaws, many of them forgivable because it does keeps you entertain, and to me that is an anime main purpose. But it does keep it from being perfect or to deliver in a consistent quality. Most of my complains come to the setting and dialogue, because the last one really gets on the whole hero-knightly theme and the setting is not up for such strong words, the fact that Haru looks the way he does isn’t helping it by the way.

So in the end falls down to the fact I have such a good time watching it and is so easy to get in to the series that I can recommend it to any fan of the shonen anime. I mean I almost watch it half of it on one day, that is how well it entertain me.
Old 2013-04-21, 09:18   Link #25
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I give it a 10/10. My wife decided on 8.5/10.

People complained a lot about Haruyuki, from his character designs to the way that his character was written. Yet I'm in total agreement with Solace, that it wouldn't have come together if Haru were a more typical anime character. His appearance made his circumstances (bullying, social isolation) perfectly believable, and I had immediate sympathy for him. The self-doubt and wavering self-esteem that he had throughout the series was very believable and I found it all to be very well-written.

As for the rest of the characters, this was exceptional. Kuroyukihime may very well be my favorite anime character of all time, but all of the rest were incredibly entertaining to watch. The series worked the romantic drama and sexual tension angle very well, and didn't become excessive in its usage of perverted humor scenes.

The only character that I truly disliked was Noumi, which is fitting for a villain. The entire Noumi arc almost caused me to downgrade my rating for the series. I disliked that so much negativity occurred around that time, and that Kuroyukihime was largely removed from the events at that point. Much of the romantic drama and light-hearted social entanglements also disappeared around that time point. Yet I maintain the 10/10 because the series evoked such strong feelings against Noumi, which is a good indicator of impressive script-writing and voice acting. In addition, I had a feeling that the series would try to reveal something that would evoke sympathy in the viewer for Noumi, but I could not imagine that I would feel moved by it. Mission accomplished, Accel World: the big reveal was in fact moving, and I had sympathy for him. It was the perfect level of sympathy, however; enough to feel it, yet not enough to be unable to appreciate all of the ending events.

Lastly, I thought that the science fictional basis for this world was fantastic. The neurolinker aspect was incredibly neat, and the whole culture behind it ("cabling," seeing people typing and motioning in mid-air and not thinking anything of it) was also neat to consider. While I was initially disappointed in the "virtual reality" world of Accel World compared to Sword Art Online (which I viewed first), the introduction of the Unlimited Field and the idea of "accelerated time" make Accel World the more interesting of the two to consider.

I ranked both Accel World and Sword Art Online as 10/10, yet between the two I think that I prefer Accel World (although this could be due to having just finished Accel World). Even though I really liked the characters in Sword Art Online, the characters here seemed more colorful to me, and the relationships were more interesting. While the virtual worlds presented in Accel World were initially a let-down compared to those in Sword Art Online, the introduction of the Unlimited Field, the concept of Legions, and "accelerated time" all made the virtual aspects of Accel World even more compelling to me.

There are rumors that both Accel World and Sword Art Online might receive second seasons. I'd be delighted if both rumors were true, but if only one series gets a continuation then I hope it's Accel World.
Old 2013-06-09, 13:15   Link #26
Gimpy

I have to give it a 10/10, for reasons others have said here. The way that personal failings and weaknesses are so well woven into the plot, makes the writing here superior to others series like SAO. The characters feel more real to me than anything else.

As the poster above said, the technology aspect is awesomely handled, truly developing this world realistically. I can see us heading in this direction, and the social aspects that come about through technology are addressed. A lesser series might just ignore those aspects and focus solely on the technology, and the average viewer wouldn't even notice. Accel World goes the full mile.

If there are downsides, it is now that my bar for judging a series has been raised considerably, and that this series isn't over yet... need more! So I might have done 9/10, but this series gets a bonus point for daring to use a non-typical anime protagonist and doing it well.
Old 2013-07-23, 00:10   Link #27
Traece
:cool:

Initially I had dropped Accel World, I suspect mainly because of the main character and because of some other more external factors.

The character does grow on you, though. I appreciate that they set him up to be a whiny kid protagonist who is capable of doing nothing but garnering sympathy from others, but actually made him quite dependable. That sort of detestable and worthless character appears far too frequently in my eyes, and those "I didn't ask for this!" despair moments are positively horrid. Fortunately, Accel World had next to none of this and when it did it tended to be very well done. I suppose the lesson to be learned here is that it is possible to make a character with little self confidence and yet have them be likable.

Besides that, Accel World did the one thing that always gets a lot of love from me: World building. The advantage of having 24 episodes is that they got to build the Accel World for the audience, and show us what it had available. There was this wonderful progression from knowing nothing, to learning all sorts of new and fascinating concepts about the world. Especially since it's a game, that's really important. Progression is absolutely necessary in a show like this. It's the thing that SAO lacked, and the thing that I found most disappointing about it. When I had first started, I didn't really think much of the Accel World idea, but then it quickly became apparent that they were creating something interesting here.

The action scenes were rather good too. A bit dialogue heavy, but not painfully so most of the time. It was a pleasure to watch the characters use their various powers, mostly Black Lotus and every time she did something completely extraordinary.

As for the relationships: Thank you very much for not giving the characters some sort of hilariously bad superpowers because of 'love' or 'friendship'. This series did a lot of nice stuff with building some relationships, especially between the main character and the princess, and never resorted to plot devices like "THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!" On the note of the princess, I did like her character a lot and I especially liked that she had a nice balance between being a tough and dependable ojou, and being feminine and girly.

Not really a whole lot of negative things that I feel like saying, fortunately, so this series impression is rather short compared to some of the monsters I've written (see: 2500 word SAO impression). I regret having dropped Accel World, but I did thoroughly enjoy getting through it all without the weekly wait. Honestly, I really hope that Accel World doesn't become another Air Gear as I'd like to see much more from this.
Old 2013-08-26, 00:24   Link #28
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I might get around to more proper thoughts but for now I'll say that while the setting and world development does improve from Sword Art Online, it's the character development that improved moreso. But what keeps it from being anything more than good is the lack of conclusion on its story. Season two where Sunrise?
GANBARIMASU
Old 2013-10-20, 06:57   Link #29
Myo
Imoutolicious

I gave it a 9. One of the first shows I watched. The only reason it was given a nine is because there is no Anime continuation. If I get that, 10/10.
Old 2014-01-10, 19:19   Link #30
AKENOLOVER01

I like it, a lot. Sure the plot was weak in the first half *before episode 4 imo*, but after that, it was amazing. I give it a 10 out of 10 .
Old 2014-01-19, 01:58   Link #31
Rozmdan
Nameless

I rate this probably about 9/10

Reasons:
- It was longer than 12 episodes
- Good voice actor cast (imo)
- Well thought out story
- Virtual Reality (I'm a sucker for virtual and augmented realities)
- Had some nice humor

- A few episodes were disconcerting

Overall though the experience was great and I look forward to season 2 (hopefully) and finishing reading the light novels.
Old 2014-05-20, 06:31   Link #32
Parousia

Rated it 9/10
because, it has a very realistic character development for Haru, their BGM in episodes are nicely put, and the plot is quite deep.
Old 2014-07-01, 03:50   Link #33
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Watched it all in one go, the last episode wrapped the arc up pretty well. I was glad Chiyo's betrayal was cleared up. Didn't like Haru's character design at all, he just looks ridiculous. He also got on my nerves with his constant whining and crying. Not that I didn't get why he was like that, but they overdid it IMO.

My favorite moment in the anime must be that time where Kuroyukihime got jealous and superspeedwalked away, that was pretty damn funny.

Anyways, I thought it was enjoyable and I'd like to see more of it, I rate it 8/10.
Old 2014-11-02, 17:21   Link #34
alodiaomfg

i just finished episode 15 and i just have this utterly repulsive reaction towards how spineless of a fuck this useless piece of shit haru is.

the way he sucks at everything and gives up, i mean i understand the emotions and the situation and the giving up, but this has absolutely no resemblance to reality. if you are weak in reality, you might as well die. i mean i understand the kindness of friends to help you but the way this fatass shows how weak he is pisses me off so much i wanted to break my computer.

he's worse than shinji from evangelion and i gotta say i never got past half of evangelion cus of how shitty shinji is.

i understand this anime is probably for younger kids 13-16 boys... and im like waay older, but the shitty way haru is protrayed is so fukin sad and depressing i want end his life.

if i see a real life version of this haru, i swear i'll beat the shit out of him
Old 2014-11-02, 18:33   Link #35
Redoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodiaomfg View Post
i just finished episode 15 and i just have this utterly repulsive reaction towards how spineless of a fuck this useless piece of shit haru is.

the way he sucks at everything and gives up, i mean i understand the emotions and the situation and the giving up, but this has absolutely no resemblance to reality. if you are weak in reality, you might as well die. i mean i understand the kindness of friends to help you but the way this fatass shows how weak he is pisses me off so much i wanted to break my computer.

he's worse than shinji from evangelion and i gotta say i never got past half of evangelion cus of how shitty shinji is.

i understand this anime is probably for younger kids 13-16 boys... and im like waay older, but the shitty way haru is protrayed is so fukin sad and depressing i want end his life.

if i see a real life version of this haru, i swear i'll beat the shit out of him
This is probably one of the more retarded things I've ever had the displeasure of reading.
Old 2014-11-02, 21:43   Link #36
Go0gleplex
The Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoxide View Post
This is probably one of the more retarded things I've ever had the displeasure of reading.
Not to mention juvenile, pedantic, irrational, erroneous, and generally bigoted things as well.

"No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues."

Harem of choice? Uzume, Rory Mercury, Raphtalia, and Yasaka.
Old 2014-11-04, 07:54   Link #37
Parousia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodiaomfg View Post

Judging by your join date,it seems that you made your account just to post this negative thought of yours. Why come here just to let out all of you hate? You could have at least tried to give some positive remarks.

Also if you just refrained from using too much swearing then you might at least receive a much more positive replies.
Old 2014-12-09, 15:44   Link #38
Miraluka
Banned

Some people tend to hate what they're deep inside.
Old 2014-12-09, 16:11   Link #39
Dr. Casey

Too bad you guys (sans Miraluka) weren't around whenever the Accel World 15 thread was going on. It was pretty awful.

More on topic, I'd give Accel World a 9/10. It was one of the shows I associate most strongly with 2012, and I'm sure I'll watch it again one of these days.
Old 2014-12-10, 04:00   Link #40
Redoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Too bad you guys (sans Miraluka) weren't around whenever the Accel World 15 thread was going on. It was pretty awful.

More on topic, I'd give Accel World a 9/10. It was one of the shows I associate most strongly with 2012, and I'm sure I'll watch it again one of these days.
What was so bad about episode 15 that made people so mad? I don't get it.
Closed Thread