Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-07-09, 23:28   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

No where on the kickstarter does it say that money will go towards a dub.
No, but they've thrown out a dub as an option to be voted on. Unfortunately, most are voting it down. It would be a real shame if that vote means it never gets dubbed into English, even from profits already made from sales of the original LWA.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:35   Link #42
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

My pro-sub bias aside, I'd rather they use the money to further improve the animation of the actual episode, then do an English dub once the entire episode and everything is complete. On the other hand, incorporating an English dub early means that they can probably make a "dub" version of the episode with mouth movements and lines specifically made for said dub, which would result in better dubbing overall.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 23:36   Link #43
com_gwp

As much as I want to pledge to this, why aren't they offering full HD downloads as a tier reward? And no mention of DRM? I'd imagine these issues are pretty important to people, and no way am I gonna be satisfied with a standard def download that's potentially tied to a service. Hope they can rectify this in the coming days, then they can get my money at that point.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 23:38   Link #44
brocko

When it gets licensed (if it does), those companies usually tend to provide dubs for it anyway (if they do decide on it).

It's great that they've exceeded their initial targets by far. But they have an added side effect of working out what to do with the extra surplus now. Could be a dub, could be not, they're still working it out themselves, but at least they're reaching out and getting feedback which is a good sign to see.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 23:41   Link #45
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
At any rate, if the idea of a dub bothers you that much, you're still in time to cancel your pledge. They won't take your money until the campaign is over.
You got it backwards. The pro dub people are such a minority that they couldn't get support. They are the ones who should pull out and leave the rest of the backers to have their money spent on the actual end product. You are delusional if you think there is actually a demand for dubs.

If there is a demand for dubs, tell them to show up and pledge. Until then, it is all just talk. Real backers get a say.

This reminds me of Microsoft and how they try and screw over the gamers for their Xbox1, going for the TV, sports, and watercooler crowd. They just want to "grow their business", not caring about their actual customers. Well guess what? Customers matter, their demands matter, and trying to split off a dub with backer money is disingenuous.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:45   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

It should be noted that the survey question is "Would you like to see Little Witch Academia dubbed in other language or not?"

The survey question is not "Do you want us to spend excess KS funding on getting LWA dubbed in other languages?"

I'm honestly disappointed in so many people voting "No" on this. They're basically saying that they never want LWA dubbed into other languages, even if Trigger pays for that with its own profits (rather than KS funding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

This reminds me of Microsoft and how they try and screw over the gamers for their Xbox1, going for the TV, sports, and watercooler crowd. They just want to "grow their business", not caring about their actual customers. Well guess what? Customers matter, their demands matter, and trying to split off a dub with backer money is disingenuous.
Absolutely ridiculous analogy. How is anybody screwed over by LWA getting a dub? If you don't like the dub work done on it, then simply stick to the sub.

XBox1 was going to screw people over through highly restrictive/limiting "features". LWA getting a dub would not even be remotely comparable to that.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:57   Link #47
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Absolutely ridiculous analogy. How is anybody screwed over by LWA getting a dub? If you don't like the dub work done on it, then simply stick to the sub.
Backers are paying for the show. If Trigger want to make a dub on their own, they don't have to ask permission. The fact that they asked, is a direct request to transfer funds to that area. And that's why the answer is no.

As I say, feel free to donate money for a dub. Ring Trigger and tell them you will pay them. Get your mythical dub audience together and have them pool their money for it. Until then, subs it is.

The polls have spoken. The Backers have spoken.
Old 2013-07-10, 00:01   Link #48
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Get your mythical dub audience together and have them pool their money for it.
So you don't think a dubbed LWA has significant potential in North America and Europe? You don't think actual kids are likely to like a dubbed LWA if its aired on a kids/cartoon network at a reasonable hour?
Old 2013-07-10, 00:33   Link #49
brocko

Even if it were. There'd be far too less content at the moment to make that big of a splash. At best they'd probably remember it as that one random thing they saw on TV once that was pretty neat.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2013-07-10, 01:01   Link #50
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

Well, at this moment, a dub could potentially be detrimental to the quality of the animation, but if they continue to gather funds for this project, I don't see how it can be. At some point the quality will inevitably plateau, regardless of how much money you throw at it, so what would you rather the extra funds be spent on?

If that were to happen, I myself would first like them to spend it on some neat collector's edition that includes artwork and such, and if there are even more, a dub would be great. You may think a dub may be pointless, but appealing to a broader audience can boost its popularity, which may or may not mean more profit, but definitely can result in a possible LWA 3, or even a series/full length movie. At this moment, the KS is focusing on LWA 2, nothing regarding on a future sequel to that or making it a full movie, but anything can happen, I guess...
Old 2013-07-10, 01:25   Link #51
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Even if it were. There'd be far too less content at the moment to make that big of a splash. At best they'd probably remember it as that one random thing they saw on TV once that was pretty neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogMoogle1 View Post
Well, at this moment, a dub could potentially be detrimental to the quality of the animation, but if they continue to gather funds for this project, I don't see how it can be. At some point the quality will inevitably plateau, regardless of how much money you throw at it, so what would you rather the extra funds be spent on?

If that were to happen, I myself would first like them to spend it on some neat collector's edition that includes artwork and such, and if there are even more, a dub would be great. You may think a dub may be pointless, but appealing to a broader audience can boost its popularity, which may or may not mean more profit, but definitely can result in a possible LWA 3, or even a series/full length movie. At this moment, the KS is focusing on LWA 2, nothing regarding on a future sequel to that or making it a full movie, but anything can happen, I guess...
These are good posts.

You make a fair point, Brocko. For LWA to gain the sort of attention that I'd like to see it get, you'd probably need at least a cour's worth of material for it.

I just hope that Trigger doesn't rule out a dub at some future point based on this one online survey. If it's achieved through old-fashioned licensing, that's fine.

Of course, the main thing is that there will be a LWA sequel, which is great in and of itself.
Old 2013-07-10, 01:27   Link #52
Warm Mist

LWA is not a common release. The majority of the people who are backing the KS have liked the original LWA, which was not dubbed and didn't air nor get big promotion anywhere. This is why there is such a low demand for a dub, the audience that would actually need a dub probably doesn't even know of this thing's existence.

If they intended to dub LWA to air it in a TV station, they could easily get it done as part of the contract. This KS is not intended for that at all, discussions aside.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 10:43   Link #53
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I'm honestly disappointed in so many people voting "No" on this. They're basically saying that they never want LWA dubbed into other languages, even if Trigger pays for that with its own profits (rather than KS funding).
From what the Trigger guys said on twitter, if they consider LWA needs a dub, they will do it anyway regardless of the poll results, so you shouldn't worry too much about this.
Old 2013-07-10, 11:38   Link #54
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

if they needed 150k for a 35 min episode, including their own funds, then getting 300k for it would mean they can make another 20 min episode.

300,038 USD as of this post with 4 weeks to go LOL

is this the first ever kickstarter project for an anime series by a "legit" anime studio? if it is then this is kind of history in the making. if ever other studios want to save a particular series they could just then do a kickstarter project for it and see if enough people throw money at it.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 17:12   Link #55
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Speaking of DVD/BD sales in general, I vaguely recall reading that LWA sold very well. So why is this KS campaign even necessary?
Little Witch Academia (the first OVA) was only bundled onto the Anime Mirai BDs sold at ACE and at two other online stores. The total amount that could be sold was 1,200. I'm not sure if any of the proceeds from those sales went to any of the 4 productions on those discs, but it's doubtful.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 17:45   Link #56
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Their payment were included in funds for production.

And LWA would be published on BD sometime this year. There were news.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 18:08   Link #57
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Their payment were included in funds for production.

And LWA would be published on BD sometime this year. There were news.
Yes, but there may be a small amount going to each of the productions on the disc sales due to being the "original creator" of the works. That is why I said I'm not sure of the actual finances, but that should be all they could receive.

As for any future disc plans, that does not corroborate Triple R's statement of "I vaguely recall reading that LWA sold very well," which is what I was refuting in my post.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 21:40   Link #58
brocko

Anime Mirai was never a "for-profit" focused project in the first place, rather it was a venture to develop young upcoming animators. So I doubt there would've been much monetary profits made from with Little Witch Academia, otherwise there'd be no need for this kickstarter.

Old 2013-07-10, 22:17   Link #59
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Made a bunch of off-topic posts disappear so that this thread can get back on-topic. Please don't make me repeat it.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 22:35   Link #60
Archer

Update 3

Basically stating that they won't be able to make it >40 minutes due to time constraints. Stretch goal of 500k for audio commentary/OST/lineart/"making of" documentary, might also include Good Smile figure.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote