AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 46 53.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 31.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-17, 14:27   Link #161
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Spoiler for Episode 6 stuff, of course...:
Old 2007-05-17, 16:05   Link #162
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Spoiler for Episode 6 stuff, of course...:
that is why some of us has been speculating that the "3 month" time period might hold some special meaning...think about it...aono went into hospital 3 months ago which is also the time where yorito met mana (which af first i thought they were osananaji friends O.o)
it make perfect sense if aono is able to wipe out or even recreate yorito's memories to fit with her side of the story and this could also explain her saying "ive used up too much energy" to matsuri...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-17, 16:38   Link #163
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
that is why some of us has been speculating that the "3 month" time period might hold some special meaning...think about it...aono went into hospital 3 months ago which is also the time where yorito met mana (which af first i thought they were osananaji friends O.o)
it make perfect sense if aono is able to wipe out or even recreate yorito's memories to fit with her side of the story and this could also explain her saying "ive used up too much energy" to matsuri...
Well, I certainly understand how that can be explained. I was just saying that I had previously laid down my suspicions.
Old 2007-05-17, 17:07   Link #164
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
I got impression that rather than goodbye kiss, it was just serious confirmation of Matsuri 's (and Aono's) feelings, and that they are really ready to do anything to get rid of loneliness.

Hmm... it's possible that Yorito is something like resurrected golem... of course having human feelings, limited memories and learning ability of normal human, but create from flesh and "magic" thus draining maybe even constantly Aono's powers.
Old 2007-05-17, 19:28   Link #165
Nemesis2124

That would certainly be an interesting twist. While the scene had all the typical makings of a "goodbye" scene, there's no actual evidence come to think of it. I'll be laughing very hard at the writers wit if the majority of us were being screwed with. XD
Old 2007-05-17, 20:28   Link #166
workingclass

i haven't read the manga or anything but just from watching the episode. and seeing the flashbacks it looks like they all lived along time back yorito had died trying to help out matsuri or something, died and aono killed herself cause of it. thus matsuri making aono a yaka. and impressions of the 3 month thing im guessing that aono somehow brought yorito back from the dead. since matsuri seemed shocked that she was referring to him as her brother. but im not sure how much of that is plausable since wouldnt that make yorito a yaka as well or is that only a setback for female char?

also i think the loli was a yaka created from matsuri as well even though i have no confirmation. it just seems weird she sleeps in trashcans and stuff during the day and is only really out at night.
Old 2007-05-17, 21:52   Link #167
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Assorted random thoughts, starting with Telliamed's insane/genius (how do you tell the difference?) speculation. I don't see any reason for Yorito to be related to Mayuko, or quite frankly for Aono to be that bloodthirsty. However it makes perfect sense that Matsuri was responsible for making Mayuko into a Yaka, and Takeshi either misunderstood and thinks Matsuri is responsible for the carnage, or simply thinks that by killing Matsuri he'll free Mayuko from her Yaka status.
Mayuko seems to want to talk to Matsuri, my guess being that she wants to find out more about what it means to be a Yaka. she hasn't had much experience with it, and also doesn't seem to have much power.
Now Aono has plenty of power, which makes me wonder if she's either actually an older Yaka than Matsuri somehow, or is simply smarter and stronger-willed. I can't see her as being "crazy with love" though. I'm seeing more of a "I got Yorito as much as I'll ever be able to, so I have to accept Matsuri" kind of feeling from her reaction to Maturi's presence. Especially because she's so accepting of Matsuri being in the house, flirting with Yorito, etc... her issue doesn't seem to be jealousy once she comes home. My prediction is that she'll turn out to be the one truly tragic character in the end, the one whose love won't be returned in kind.
It seems pretty clear that one way or another Aono is messing with Yorito. Right now though we have no way of knowing if it's resurrection, reincarnation, something even weirder... so I'm not going to worry about it. Suffice to say that whatever it is is almost certainly related to Aono's lack of power.

Although... I'd like to throw another hypothesis into the stack. Aono is both more powerful and appears to be older than Matsuri. What if she is in fact an older Yaka than Matsuri is? And the reason she can be in sunlight sometimes is that if she exerts her power to the utmost she can fight it off, but it takes a huge toll over time. So maybe she actually was trying to be "normal" for Yorito until three months back. The fact is that only intense light is actually really dangerous for them, a rainy day is still light out, and even when it's sunny Matsuri manages to go outside without collapsing into dust in seconds. Aono could have already been a Yaka when she tried to kill herself... Takeshi certainly seems to think that decapitating a Yaka with a nice sharp blade will kill them.
Telliamed's thought about him needing to die and come back makes a whole lot of sense to me. The thing is, Yaka are supposedly made by taking power from the dark side of human thought. So it'd make total sense that there's need to be some kind of uber-positive feelings from Yorito to allow Matsuri to overcome her dark side. Or maybe... since someone pointed out that maybe creating a Yaka requires that there be a bunch of residual dark 'n' angry feeling as well as a dying person? Mebbe Matsuri will have to die and be resurrected in the presence of a source of true love in order to stop being a Yaka. Heh.
I don't think Aono hangs onto Yorito in hopes of becoming human again, she just wants to be near him. Having him be her brother seems to fit the bill decently enough. The way she didn't bat an eyelash when Matsuri was going on and on about Yorito's attempts at pervertedness suggests that Aono wants him for something less, um, carnal...
Old 2007-05-17, 21:55   Link #168
aorta

I was under the impression that Matsuri made Aono a yaka.
Old 2007-05-17, 22:04   Link #169
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I'm finding it hard to understand why there's been a bunch of theories stating that Aono is somehow older, or more powerful, than Matsuri. My thoughts:

1) Aono = older than Matsuri? Several clues indicate that Matsuri was the one who begat Aono, but several other signs indicate that Aono was already a Yaka in the flashback; her being in the cave with Matsuri while past-Yorito was wandering outside being one of them. Either way, my stand is that at this point, we can't tell for sure who's older, or who begat whom, if that is even the case.

2) Aono = more powerful than Matsuri? Again, we don't know for sure. Yes, Aono breathing life into the origami frog is indisputable, but what is disputable is the possibility that Matsuri doesn't possess the same ability; she could have it, and just hasn't had a need for it in the present time so far.

3) Yorito = so many darn theories about him floating around, I'm getting dizzy (@_@)

That's why I'm not speculating for now; I'd rather have a bit more info first, before definitively throwing down a hypothesis.
Old 2007-05-17, 23:04   Link #170
Nemesis2124

Well, as long as it's in good fun I think the hypothesis posting is fine in and of itself. The problems start when people take their ideas too far and let them skew their view of future events. >_>;;
Old 2007-05-18, 02:45   Link #171
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

It is kind of impossible for Aono to be an older Yaka - Matsuri was the one who turned her in to a yaka

As for Aono being more powerful ... there is very little to suggest that. We have seen Aono bring a paper frog to life. (And we have seen Matsuri bring Aono back to life ). We have seen Matsuri turning metal in to scrap within seconds. If anything, it might seem that Matsuri is the strongest one. Especially if we go with the classical vampire myth that older=stronger.
Old 2007-05-18, 03:23   Link #172
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Of course, as for who is more powerful, we don't really have a clue; we've yet to see them use their full powers. Logic dictates that Matsuri is the older, and also the most powerful ones, of course.....but seeing the way Sola has made Skane-sama break whatever diet he may be on with his words, I'm hesitant to be definite about anything.

And.....*poke* isn't it about time for the Episode 7 thread?
Old 2007-05-18, 16:59   Link #173
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Of course, as for who is more powerful, we don't really have a clue; we've yet to see them use their full powers. Logic dictates that Matsuri is the older, and also the most powerful ones, of course.....but seeing the way Sola has made Skane-sama break whatever diet he may be on with his words, I'm hesitant to be definite about anything.

And.....*poke* isn't it about time for the Episode 7 thread?

I vote for Yorito. It would be a wtf moment! An unlocked full powered Yorito laying waste to all in his path. Bwahahahaha!

Also, I think that Matsuri is prob more powerful than Aono but is too kind to be destructive at full power. She almost took off Takeshi's arm but snapped back to normal due to his screaming.
Old 2007-05-18, 23:33   Link #174
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

In no particular order, the reasons why I'm rooting for the Aono is older/more powerful notion:
1. Aono looks older (subjective opinion)
2. Aono acts older (could just be that Matsuri is a ditz)
3. Matsuri's power of causing decay to things she touches doesn't seem as skilled as Aono's ability to manipulate life. Particularly since it's looking like Aono did *something* to Yorito, although we really have no idea what.
4. Aono could have been a Yaka before she cut her own throat... one with the powerful ability to resist sunlight for short periods of time. (I prefer this because it means she wouldn't have had to do wholesale editing of Yorito's memory in order for him to think she was normal in the past. I'm going to be really disappointed if the author take the easy route of making Aono responsible for Yorito's memories of his entire life, it devalues him as a character if he's merely something she made)
5. I can't help but think that the information we're being slowly given in the flashbacks is deliberately vague in order to mess with our heads, the author seems quite intent on destroying assumptions about the plot.

6. Total wishful thinking on my part, since I'm expecting there to be at least one person who this ends tragically for, I want it to be Aono. So I'm hoping she has to sacrifice her powers in some way to allow Matsuri to keep Yorito. In fact, something along those lines would make sense if it turns out that Yorito died in the flashbacks through some fault of Aono's. She'd have to make amends, which would probably entail her draining herself doing some life-manipulating power.

Of course it could also be that Matsuri created Aono, Aono is actually rather wimpy as a vampire so she has to be crafty to make up for lack of power, and I'll be joining the Skane diet plan.
Old 2007-05-19, 19:33   Link #175
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

I doubt Aono's older than Matsuri given the fact that Matsuri revived Aono. But, in terms of power, that's debatable. On one hand, Matsuri can revive life and decay/deteriorate objects. On the other, we see Aono having the ability to give life to inanimate objects (such as the origami frog) and possibly reviving or recreating Yorito. I have yet to see Aono do anything along the lines of deteriorating objects or biological matter.
Spoiler for For Ep.7 if you haven't seen it:
So, who's more powerful? If going by the saying, "The older you are, the wiser you get," then I'd say Matsuri is the wiser and more powerful of the two. However, she seems just too kind and gentle to harm anyone. She doesn't want to hurt anyone, especially Yorito. Aono, however, could be the more powerful
Spoiler:
seeing that she used her powers to possibly the full potential of a Yaka-- much more than Matsuri. Again, this is basing it on watching Ep.6 and 7 now.
Old 2007-05-19, 22:17   Link #176
Icerack

Aono older than Matsuri is unlikely since Matsuri was Yaka before Aono become one. Aono more powerful than Matsuri is questionable right now. We've only seen Matsuri in combat so far, and the only thing she can do (other than dodging darts of light) is disintegrate stuff. Aono did mention that she used alot of her powers in the past. Aono has potential to do more destructive things.
Old 2007-05-20, 00:49   Link #177
Telliamed
sensei no pet

The mistake you're all making is assuming that Matsuri can't do any of the things Aono has done. To my eye, they have clearly established that Matsuri dislikes using her abilities. The simplest assumption that can be made is that all yaka share these abilities. That Aono is younger or was created by Matsuri doesn't necessarily require her to be less powerful. Although occasionally invoked in literature, there are even more cases of a student becoming stronger than the teacher. In most eastern mythologies, the intensity of one's power derives from strength of will and purity of spirit. I don't know how much the later plays into effect here, since yaka are born from impure thoughts to begin with, but it's fair to say that Matsuri appears to be the more spiritual.
Old 2007-05-20, 02:29   Link #178
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, as far as their power goes - it is indeed debatable who is the stronger one. Imo, Matsuri might be the strongest one, but she doesn't like to use her powers (as already stated), so that would make Aono the more dangerous one. Matsuri doesn't have the personality to harm others. Aono on the other hand...
Old 2007-05-21, 05:34   Link #179
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Well, as far as their power goes - it is indeed debatable who is the stronger one. Imo, Matsuri might be the strongest one, but she doesn't like to use her powers (as already stated), so that would make Aono the more dangerous one. Matsuri doesn't have the personality to harm others. Aono on the other hand...
This could also mean:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-22, 22:14   Link #180
Kouvley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
You must have missed Tsukihime then. And why should a series' followers have any influence over one's opinion of a show. At all. That's crazy, IMO.

Anyway, with that said, I'm not sure why everyone has gone head-over-heels for this show, since I don't think it's done anything all that special so far. It's mildly interesting and enjoyable, but hardly ranks among the better titles this season, or the better titles in this genre. Anyway, I'm seeing a whole heap of similarities between this and Tsukihime, and so far I'd say the latter has Sola beat in pretty much every department: more enigmatic characters, more engaging mystery, more dense, layered atmosphere, better execution and direction, etc, etc. I know I'm going to offend people with this comment, but, as much as I hate to say it, it just feels like Sola is coming off as a poor man's Tsukihime to this stage.

With that said, I don't dislike this show, I just think people are getting a little over-enthusiastic about it, in my eyes.

It's the mystery that keeps this show interesting. I wouldn't say the other components are obviously flawed, but they do feel tepid and underwhelming. I still somewhat suspect that, in the hands of a slightly better director, this could be a much better anime...
Finally got round to watching this ep.

I agree with Sorrow-K's assessment.

There were some interesting developments but personally I feel the plot is becoming somewhat contrived, particularly Mana's casual acceptance that Matsuri is not human coupled with her rather ridiculous reason:

"There's no way Yorito would take in a normal runaway girl just like that"

The "goodbye" scene was a little underwhelming for me aswell, as are a lot of key scenes in the series so far.

Though having said all that, I'm still interested in how the story will unfold and continue to find this show entertaining albeit not as much as most people here.
Closed Thread