AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 23 31.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 15.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 15.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-11, 04:53   Link #141
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
I also don't think that it's sentient; Chibiki's "force of nature" is a clearer definition. But that doesn't mean that it can't do things that a sentient being would do, as though the phenomenon is a script programmed by some divine entity (I think I saw that analogy already, but I can't remember if it was on AS or not). We already know that the phenomenon is complex and has specific rules, and it's "intelligent" enough (or was "programmed" to be intelligent enough) to know in advance that Nakao was going to discuss the phenomenon with Matsunaga outside of Yomiyama and act accordingly.
I'm fairly sure that Nakao discussed no such thing. It was Reiko wasn't it?
Old 2012-03-11, 07:13   Link #142
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm fairly sure that Nakao discussed no such thing. It was Reiko wasn't it?
Right. But Nakao being in the party that went to discuss it with Matsunaga might as well be the same thing. It's not like Matsunaga's discussion with Reiko was meant to be a secret between the two of them.
Old 2012-03-11, 09:12   Link #143
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
Right. But Nakao being in the party that went to discuss it with Matsunaga might as well be the same thing. It's not like Matsunaga's discussion with Reiko was meant to be a secret between the two of them.
Be that as it may, there's really nothing to indicate that this is the reason for his death.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:27   Link #144
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Plus it would've made MORE sense to kill Reiko. Or just plain everyone.

In fact, why doesn't the phenomenon just kill the whole class and all their families on day 1? Problem solved.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:22   Link #145
klare

"now this is the important part" then interupted and have to wait for next eps...

Matsunaga said he want to confess his sin and reveal the method to stop the curse in the tape, i guess both are related, maybe something like u have to kill one of the student to stop it, that is why he said it is a sin

oh now we know using umbrella on a hill is bad idea
Old 2012-03-11, 13:24   Link #146
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Be that as it may, there's really nothing to indicate that this is the reason for his death.
But it's reasonable to assume that the phenomenon retaliates when people do things related to the phenomenon -- Mizuno was killed by the elevator while she was talking to Kouichi about Misaki (while she was still "nonexistant," of course), Takabayashi had a heart attack as he was about to tell Kouichi about the phenomenon, and Aya was in a car accident as she and her family were making an effort to escape the phenomenon. The phenomenon has a "death quota" to meet (i.e. at least one a month), but I think it's much more likely to kill in these circumstances.

Quote:
Plus it would've made MORE sense to kill Reiko. Or just plain everyone.
Well I'm still subscribing to the theory that Reiko is the Another

But if the Another isn't Reiko:

Quote:
In fact, why doesn't the phenomenon just kill the whole class and all their families on day 1? Problem solved.
Probably because it isn't malicious (even following my reasoning from my previous posts) and may not be entirely consistent (the "nonexistence" countermeasure works 50% of the time and there's no discernible reason why it fails, and the phenomenon doesn't always kill people for doing things related to it). The phenomenon isn't out for blood; death is just drawn to Class 3 in a very matter-of-fact way.
Old 2012-03-11, 14:02   Link #147
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Yeah, but by allowing everyone to live, it risks somebody finding out how to counter it, right?

In other words: It killing (for example) Nakao for getting too close makes no sense. Not only did Nakao never hear the info, but there were other targets more 'dangerous'. Which IMHO is enough to disprove the fact that the phemonena is something sentient, or if it is, it is at least not actively trying to protect itself. If it WERE actively trying to protect itself, then it really isn't very good at it.
Old 2012-03-11, 15:00   Link #148
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
If it WERE actively trying to protect itself, then it really isn't very good at it.
Right, that's why I said it isn't consistent (and again, I'm not arguing that it's sentient). We already have evidence that almost nothing about the phenomenon follows a direct pattern -- some years there's no extra student and some years countermeasures fail inexplicably. My point is that just by being connected with the logical targets on that beach, Reiko and Matsunaga, Nakao made himself a target, even though he was obviously not the best target (and probably the worst of that group).
Old 2012-03-11, 15:34   Link #149
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Matsunaga isn't connected to the current class 3 though. Carsick Guy has always been a target for being in the class to begin with. And unless the time comes where we actually understand more about how victims are chosen... I'd rather not make any assumptions about it.
Old 2012-03-11, 15:51   Link #150
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
oh now we know using umbrella on a hill is bad idea
No, more like opening an umbrella in the midst of a thunderstorm is a bad idea. But this should be common sense, as lightning usually strikes at the highest point. Sadly, some of the students seem to lack just that and put themselves at risk, usually with fatal result.
Old 2012-03-11, 17:32   Link #151
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Matsunaga isn't connected to the current class 3 though.
Sorry, I said that without thinking.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:34   Link #152
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Which is weird. Don't umbrellas usually have a plastic or rubber handle?
Old 2012-03-12, 02:12   Link #153
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Which is weird. Don't umbrellas usually have a plastic or rubber handle?
The Google is strong with me today:

Is it unsafe to carry an umbrella during a thunderstorm?
Quote:
I am afraid that Sarah is wrong; a plastic handle won't help at all. It is an old urban legend to believe e.g. that the rubber tyres of your car protect you from lightning. What does, in a car, is the fact that the metallic car's body works as a Faraday cage and electricity will move outside it; never inside.

Static electricity works differently. Rub a balloon against wool and see how it makes you hair to rise; nothing is metallic there!

However, there is a slight difference between an object that is electrically grounded and one that is not, in the context of lightning and this is scientifically proved by experiment.

I have sailed nearly half a century tiny sailboats with aluminium masts. As you can imagine, a mast is the highest point anywhere at sea. It works like this:

If your mast is unearthed (no electrical contact with the sea), a lightning bolt that is to hit the sea in a radius roughly equal to the length of the mast, will hit the mast.

If the mast is earthed, the the radius of "attraction" is increased to roughly one an half the height of the mast. That's not very much, is it?

What do I have on my sailboat? Well, at the foot of my mast, I have a very thick copper plate that goes to a bolt of the keel; only that there is a few millimeters gap between the two. As a result, my mast is not electrically earthed but if lightning should hit it, it will jump over the tiny gap without problem and lead the energy to the sea without damaging too much the ship.

I have been many times in thunderstorms at sea. The most memorable one is when I was alone, off the very dangerous Spanish coast of Galicia (called, la costa de la muerte!) in the middle of the night and in the fog! Lightning at night and in the fog is very special; light comes from everywhere!

Michel Verheughe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Take the recently minced Nakao, for example. Plenty of viewers wondered last week why he suddenly joined the beach trip. He didn't seem to have any reason to be with the "main" characters. Yet it was hinted quite a few episodes earlier that he and Sugiura were likely members of the counter-measures team, together with Akazawa. It's further hinted that he and Sugiura were possibly close friends, if not potential boy-girl friends, based on various body-language hints in Ep5. And in this episode, for example, look at how devastated Sugiura seemed in the aftermath of Nakao's death.
After (quickly) fast-forwarding through episode 5 I haven't seen anything that would lead me to the conclusion that they might be boy/girlfriends. Mind telling me which scene(s) you mean?
Sorry, I missed your earlier query. I didn't mean they were a couple, but suggested that they could have been one, if the story were inclined to go that direction. I was referring to the montage of scenes showing various students of Class 3-3 going about their day-to-day lives while Mei was explaining the curse to Kouichi at her home. There was one in particular showing Sugiura looking worried while Nakao was talking to another girl. Normally, I wouldn't have thought much about it, if not for a few people in the blogosphere who took it to mean that Sugiura was feeling jealous.

Even without that such circumstantial evidence, that were a handful of other scenes in which Sugiura and Nakao were pictured together. So, if nothing else, it's more than likely that both of them were very good friends. Hence Sugiura's shell-shocked state at the start of this episode after, presumably, attending Nakao's funeral.
Old 2012-03-12, 15:42   Link #154
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
What good does increasing the death toll do? If anything it will make those investigating want to work faster to resolve it sooner.
Like I said in my post, an increase in death rate (inevitable link to an increase in death toll), would make it more likely (statistical probability) that the members of those investigating will end up being dead as well - this theory makes the assumption that the curse cannot choose who it kills, so by increasing the rate of death, it may have a better chance of stopping those investigating it by sheer probability.

And you are right that an increase in death will force the students to investigate faster - so it is a race against time and each other for both the curse and the students.

I don't think, personally, that the curse is sentient per se but there may be elements that are at work to protect it.

I vaguely remember at the beginning of the series something along the line that the class gets closer to death each time the calamity happens? That they are more or more easily invaded by apparitions? But my memory could be wrong...

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Closed Thread