View Poll Results: Which naruto sub (including quality) is better? Anbu or Aone
Anbu 94 26.04%
Aone 184 50.97%
No preference 83 22.99%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-08-16, 09:31   Link #1
Darkone

Anbu Vs. Aone

Which fansub for the naruto 95-96 is better. What is the difference between them in the fansub. What is the pro and con between the two?
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 09:40   Link #2
Ben

IMO ANBU is more accurate...
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 10:06   Link #3
Tatay
Aj, is there any1 better?

Send a message via ICQ to Tatay
Isn't this in the wrong forum part?
Tatay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 10:10   Link #4
Zek
Eyebrows...

They're both accurate and high quality. The only difference is dialogue choices. Personally I prefer AonE's dialogue, it flows better IMHO whereas ANBU's sometimes suffers from the same awkwardness that their joint episodes did.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 10:45   Link #5
ninja massacre

Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
i'm pretty sure there already are threads about this, and if not, you should move it to the fansub section
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 12:05   Link #6
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Monkey ver-sus Roooo-bot!
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 12:35   Link #7
7thMethuselah

I'll go ANBU most likely, if I'm not mistaken the translator and editor are the same as in the joint project, and I liked them alot. I probably will check out AonE's version as well, but they'd have to do a hell of a job to convince me.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 12:37   Link #8
Darkone

Basically prefer aone as their encoding quality is better.
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 12:46   Link #9
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Well, I can't say much about translation accuracy though, but ANBU's version sure has some weird sounding sentences and yes omg, a typo.
And since I'm so used to the styling, I'll obviously go with animeone there as well.
LBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 12:51   Link #10
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
IMO ANBU is more accurate...
Uhm, do you mean translation-wise? Because I'd like to know what was more accurate about ANBU's version.
LBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 13:06   Link #11
NL|MegaMika

AnimeOne: better translation, better karaoke, they include the 'This is the Naruto special' announcement at the beginning and the movie trailer at the end, they translate handseals, and best of the best: they got rid of the 'Perverted Hermit' crap.
NL|MegaMika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 14:07   Link #12
XpLo

Aone video quality/filesize was better than Anbu.
Also Aone keep their typesetting/font/edit that we are used to.
for the translation i dunno i dont understand japanese ^^;
i wish that anbu or aone get their intro in 30fps instead of 24fps but seems like they cant T_T
XpLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 14:36   Link #13
SakeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone
Which fansub for the naruto 95-96 is better. What is the difference between them in the fansub. What is the pro and con between the two?
Anbu made a typo in the karoke "so let's promose to never lie about it." Other than that, Anbu did a fine job. Video quaility is about the same between the two groups if you compare it at first sight. If you have any problems with the video for any one of the groups, it's your codecs. Both of them should run smoothly.

I prefer Aone's version because of their color changing schemes, the karaoke, most of their translations, and adding the movie trailer. But, it's a matter of preference. Anbu's karaoke in the intro was pretty good and well-suited. You might like this new scheme. Their ending karaoke was ok as well, nothing too spectacular. They changed the colors between the scenes and also text scrolling across. Aone karaoke is the same as the one in the joint projects, except they changed the English translations. You'll notice it.

Translation between the groups is a matter of preference too. For example, Aone translated handseals with both Japanese and English and the use of Ero-sennin with the English on top. They also defined "arrythmia" by putting the definition on top. And Anbu used a more aggressive set of words for Manda.

But it's better to reserve judgement until you download both versions and watch them completely.
SakeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 15:52   Link #14
hooliganj
Team Player

I ended up downloading all four versions for comparison. Figures this just had to happen right as we get a one hour special.

AonE - Best technical quality, but honestly has nothing else to recommend it. I guess their translation is the most techniacally accurate as well, but I've always thought AonE's translations were a little too literal. Get it if you want screen grabs and can't find the raw.

ANBU - Best dialogue translations. They really do have a good translation/editing team. The text reads like a line of dialogue might go if that character was speaking English, which is the IMO the best way to subtitle. Video quality is still good.

Shin Otaku - Most lyrical translation, which mostly means the song translations are the best, but it results in some odd choices in the dialogue. Not a bad way to go, but it makes for some pretty strange lines. Video quality is not that great, but isn't bad enough to be distracting.

Anime Heaven - This is the one I've decided to go with for now, as it's the best mix of them all. The songs are translated decently, the dialogue sounds natural, and the video quality is pretty good. For speed subbers, these guys seem to be pretty much on the ball.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 16:28   Link #15
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLo
Aone video quality/filesize was better than Anbu.
Also Aone keep their typesetting/font/edit that we are used to.
for the translation i dunno i dont understand japanese ^^;
i wish that anbu or aone get their intro in 30fps instead of 24fps but seems like they cant T_T
Uhh... AonE on the last ep had more edge noise than ANBU solo. Still, I expect it to be better after mf comes back.

Also, the intro is decimated and smothed nicely to 24 because avi doesn't support variable fps.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 17:29   Link #16
PureDynamo

I watched both versions and I think AonE is better, the quality was very good, so I think I'm going to stick with them.
PureDynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 17:30   Link #17
Ciber
AnimeOne Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeX
Anbu made a typo in the karoke "so let's promose to never lie about it." Other than that, Anbu did a fine job.

13:56 "forgetten?"

Ciber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 17:41   Link #18
HoboGod
Necromancer

well, each of them have their ups and downs when it comes to making the traslation seem natural, but if it comes down to which i'd prefer to watch, i'd say Aone because of better typesetting, more translator notes, and itallic text when they are talking in their head that makes it easier to follow...

and they translated a word into "Shit" where ANBU translated it into "Shoot"and we all know that swear words are sexy.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 18:28   Link #19
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL|MegaMika
they got rid of the 'Perverted Hermit' crap.
What did they replace it with?
Fool On The Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 19:11   Link #20
Ramses

Is Crustol ANBU staff or AonE??
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote