AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-08-27, 09:13   Link #1
Cyberdramon

Looking for tips/help/info on legit distros/private ftp

Okay. First off... I know this topic has the potential to be loaded. I want to start off by saying that I don't like finger pointing since it's up to a group's founder how their stuff is to be run and what kind of bots/distro they have is their business... So even if there are people out there rooting and hacking I don't really want to know about that and it'd also be pretty terrible to point fingers at groups that are "rumoured" to have them.

All right... I'm a fansubber but, much like anyone who visits this site, I also download plenty of anime. I go to channels like a-keep and anbu and I'm just simply amazed at the bots, the speed, the everything about that... Granted, the two groups I'm in aren't two thousand plus users (More like two hundred plus, but small is good sometimes) but it would be really awesome to even have a quarter of that kind of distro power.

Also, it kind of sucks sometimes being stuck with these lowly residential cable and DSL speeds. Sometimes you have to upload a raw to someone that's 300 or so megabytes and you can only upload at 20k or so. Man, that takes a long time. On top of that you're about the fastest person... So after that you have to send to someone else. I love fansubbing... but isn't there maybe a better way?

So I hear people have FTP's with lots of space and great speed so you only have to make that huge upload once.

My quest? Information on getting one~! T_T

I honestly have no clue if there is such a thing as an FTP with lots of space on a fast connection that's stable in a legit form. I imagine it is because... wouldn't it just be easier for it to be legit? o.O

So I'm asking (and hopefully not being made fun of) in the only place I know where other fansubbers converse frequently if ANYONE has any information to assist me in this quest. I'm not asking for trade secrets or anything and if you want to flame me you can do it in Private Message (but only if you have to >.>). I'm just really looking for some straight up facts/tips/help/info/nibbles/tidbits/etc.

Thanks to ANYONE in advance who can help out.
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 10:03   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdramon
Thanks to ANYONE in advance who can help out.
Despite all the waffle, I'm still not sure what it is you are asking help on....

As far as I can make out, you are looking for a (free?) fast ftp site to which you can help distribute raws and files within your own group. You are not looking for a method to distribute the final fansub but just a method for small scale transfer of (large) files.

Is this correct? And as a matter of interest, why don't you say the groups that you belong to?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 10:06   Link #3
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Is it possible? Absolutely. The question is somewhat different: Are you willing to pay for those fast FTPs? In the real world of legality, fast servers cost money. Since so many fansubbers subscribe to the "What? We should spend MONEY on something?" train of thought, most such FTPs are either donated by someone in position to do so (often with questionable legality -- such as "I can get away with doing this at work, but they wouldn't like it if they knew") or are the result of hacks.

Essentially, your options for the above-ground route are to (a) pay for a server with a company that'll give you the space/bandwidth you need or (b) find a remarkably generous sysadmin with a nice connection who'll host files for you.
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 10:13   Link #4
Cyberdramon

Er, sorry. Yes. I meant that I was willing to pay for it. I belong to WolfPackProductions and TV-Nihon. Free is nice... but free usually means it's hacked (which is bad) or that it's temporary (which is good for a while but ultimately bad)

And I was looking for possible solutions on how other groups do it, I guess... (Assuming there are groups that do it legit...) For both distributing raws within a group as well as final releases. However, I'm most interested in internal distribution.
Old 2004-08-27, 11:46   Link #5
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdramon
Er, sorry. Yes. I meant that I was willing to pay for it. I belong to WolfPackProductions and TV-Nihon. Free is nice... but free usually means it's hacked (which is bad) or that it's temporary (which is good for a while but ultimately bad)

And I was looking for possible solutions on how other groups do it, I guess... (Assuming there are groups that do it legit...) For both distributing raws within a group as well as final releases. However, I'm most interested in internal distribution.
You're gonna have to pay for it, then. Otherwise put up ads recruiting distros and hope you get lucky that people volunteer. ^^

Rackforce sells a great shell for $24.95/month that they advertise as unmetered T1 upload/download, but in reality I have gotten to go as fast as 1800K in either direction consistently. You cannot run an xdcc bot of it (they will ban your account if they find you using irc from the shell) but if you can push the majority of your distro to bit-torrent all you'd need is this shell running as super-seeder and your distro is set.

Bit-torrent revolutionized the way distro is done

As far as big legit XDCC bot, well, you're bound to be spending more money for that. Otherwise go to a college with fast pipes in the dorms :P

Note that these are lousy solutions for internal distro (Raws/dump/etc) but I've heard of a service for unmetered 10 Mbit 40 gigabyte FTP for $40/month, which is more than ample to run a dump off of. Then you can use this shell for moving files around and final seeding on bit torrent. I'll try and get the name of that ftp service for you.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 13:23   Link #6
Cyberdramon

Yeah... I agree that BT has really changed a lot. Unfortunately it's only draw back, to me, is lack of long term/archival ability. It's often times difficult to find older releases of things. (Some groups have a better handle on this, and batch torrents also help.)

But thanks alot for that info. $50 or less really isn't that bad since it would be a shared commodity in a group of like 20 or so people to pass raws back and forth.

Let me know if you find out any more. I think I'll definitely track them down.
Old 2004-09-06, 03:44   Link #7
Mirror_ID

Personally, I pay for my ftps / xdccs/ etc. I own several boxes with usually a TB each month for bandwidth and an 80 gig hard drive. This, obviously, isn't a solution for everyone, but it is a common solution for legit groups.

As for archival xdcc bots, if your box is Unix-based, you can use http://arisa-chan.org/ . The multiple packlist functionality and ability to send packlists in DCC Chat sessions make it a very viable method for archival storage (and it is in use by a few people so far). The bot is still in development, but it's pretty stable.

--Mirror_ID
Sugar-Cube Fansubs Founder
Mirror_ID is offline   Reply With Quote