AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-10, 17:32   Link #1
OnegaiNL
Totally Onegai'D

what is the problem with fansubgroups ?

have you ever wondered why 300000 groups sub shows like Elfen Lied.... me 2

because it kinda sickens me ...all those groups want fame and use that show to obtain it ...

example = Elfen Lied

1st Episode
6 English Groups
3 Spanish Groups
and
2 German Groups
subbed the first episode

i mean jeez ... what the hell is wrong with the fansubbers? ok personally i dont care about german and spanish subs hehe but i mean English Subs

6 groups!!!

instead of letting some group take it over and the rest sub some unsubbed shows .... they continue...

i think this is a bit overreacting... they only want popularity trough this =/
but if they think just sub a show that is good and isnt known yet... and that's how i'm going to do it (not going to make a big commercial ad here or sumthing lol)
but i mean ... go to anidb.net

look for some shows ... most of the time unsubbed shows are not rated... so if you look trough the database and it says that it isnt rated yet... there is a big possibility it's unsubbed

it's just an advice ... it's your choice
think and try to find unsubbed shows... good one's buy or find the region 1 dvd's off them .. sub them and release them ... it will take a while before people will trust your group... but if you keep doing this ... im sure you will be trusted like other big groups do

but people just don't learn... they just want fame and want to be the first one to release it... result = bad encode or bad whatever

if i have raws for a show... and it's unsubbed

and it get's subbed by a group ... i won't let the work be for nothing
but if i don't have them i let the other groups take it ... i don't see why i should let my group be fast subber or being a competition to other groups ... since you should have fun subbing and not being pressing your staff =/

people forget the times that fansubbing was fun to do and there were only a fewer groups ... people will say to me im having fun or what the heck are you saying... but subbing was more fun to do before than now... believe me i have been in a group (no name given) i was kinda pressed and finally i left b/c i just couldn't handle the stressing of them all the time.

i hope someone else see's the same thing and agrees with me ...
because some groups are actually being useless to the fansubbing business ... not totally but technically it is.

Last edited by OnegaiNL; 2004-09-10 at 18:44.
Old 2004-09-10, 18:26   Link #2
Darth_E_
Freelance TS'er/Encoder

IIRC, Elfen Lied is a licenced anime show. I suggest you remove any fansubbing group's name doing it since AS has a no tolerance policy towards licenced shows.

There are different reasons why people choose to sub anime, so....

Yours,
-Elly
Old 2004-09-10, 18:33   Link #3
lamer_de

Quote:
have you ever wondered why 300000 groups sub shows like Elfen Lied.... me 2
Because it features tits, gore and violence. And it's licensed by ADV, so no big group (I avoid the term respectable ^_^) will dare to pick it up, which leaves room for small groups, as they don't have to compete with them.

Quote:
ook for some shows ... most of the time unsubbed shows are not rated... so if you look trough the database and it says that it isnt rated yet... there is a big possibility it's unsubbed
You will see that almost all of those shows are usually really old, so it needs a decent amount of skill to find raws or a decent wallet to afford R2 DVDs at 50USD for 2 episodes. Usually, new groups don't have either of those qualities.

Quote:
think and try to find unsubbed shows... good one's buy or find the region 1 dvd's off them
Obviously, all R1 shows are licensed and therefore shouldn't be fansubbed, but bought, regardless if you life in Region 1 or not.

Quote:
but people just don't learn... they just want fame and want to be the first one to release it... result = bad encode or bad whatever
Leechers don't care. Whoever gets out the first sub gets the most leechers. See Naruto, S7 or any other show that is done by more than 2 groups.

Quote:
people forget the times that fansubbing was fun to do and there were only a fewer groups ...
Exactly, in former times there were less groups, so there was more anime for every group to sub. Some groups got bigger and decided to sub half of all shows currently airing by themselves, many small groups that pushed out episodes appeared and disappeared etc. so, it's only obvious that anime get oversubbed. Add a popular theme like ecchi, mecha or shounen and you will get almost always 5+ groups for each series.

Quote:
i hope someone else see's the same thing and agrees with me ...
because some groups are actually being useless to the fansubbing business ... not totally but technically it is.
Yes, but as long as there are people who don't care about quality and only want to watch the stuff asap, there's a reason for those groups to exist.

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-09-10, 18:48   Link #4
OnegaiNL
Totally Onegai'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamer_de
Because it features tits, gore and violence. And it's licensed by ADV, so no big group (I avoid the term respectable ^_^) will dare to pick it up, which leaves room for small groups, as they don't have to compete with them.

You will see that almost all of those shows are usually really old, so it needs a decent amount of skill to find raws or a decent wallet to afford R2 DVDs at 50USD for 2 episodes. Usually, new groups don't have either of those qualities.

Obviously, all R1 shows are licensed and therefore shouldn't be fansubbed, but bought, regardless if you life in Region 1 or not.

Leechers don't care. Whoever gets out the first sub gets the most leechers. See Naruto, S7 or any other show that is done by more than 2 groups.

Exactly, in former times there were less groups, so there was more anime for every group to sub. Some groups got bigger and decided to sub half of all shows currently airing by themselves, many small groups that pushed out episodes appeared and disappeared etc. so, it's only obvious that anime get oversubbed. Add a popular theme like ecchi, mecha or shounen and you will get almost always 5+ groups for each series.

Yes, but as long as there are people who don't care about quality and only want to watch the stuff asap, there's a reason for those groups to exist.

CU,
lamer_de
i was actually talking about Region 2 DVD's (Asia) licensed only not in america
so actually you would have too look good for them or buy them ... and it's not that hard to get the money ... a simple paypal button works sometimes :P

Last edited by OnegaiNL; 2004-09-10 at 20:07.
Old 2004-09-10, 18:49   Link #5
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnegaiNL
i was actually talking about Region 1 DVD's (Asia) licensed only not in america
so actually you would have too look good for them or buy them ... and it's not that hard to get the money ... a simple paypal button works sometimes :P
Region 1 is North America.

Region 2 is Japan.
Old 2004-09-10, 19:30   Link #6
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
Region 1 is North America.

Region 2 is Japan.
Tiny correction:

Region 2 is Japan and Europe.
Old 2004-09-10, 19:42   Link #7
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Tiny correction:

Region 2 is Japan and Europe.
I almost put that.

If you want to be totally specific, Region 2 is Europe, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa

Old 2004-09-10, 20:09   Link #8
OnegaiNL
Totally Onegai'D

ok n/m about that ... just a little mistake hehe i mean region 2 (JAPANESE) dvd's

but somehow they arent that expensive doh .. especially the older series

so a little donation may help a group get what they want
or they work for it theirselves :P
Old 2004-09-10, 20:51   Link #9
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

How about you go take that money you were going to donate and use it to learn English?

This is an issue that's been brought up countless times before... Don't you remember the Naruto oversubber threads of the week, for crying out loud?
Old 2004-09-10, 23:59   Link #10
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

I'd say a bigger problem is that most people nowadays forget that subtitles don't go in the bottom 45 pixels of a 640x480 encode...means no subtitles when I play stuff on my shiny new Philips DivX player.

I'd also say a bigger problem is that small groups really have trouble finding people to help with seeding and distro.
Old 2004-09-11, 00:35   Link #11
K_R
also known as K!

It's a lot of fun to race against other groups to release though.
Old 2004-09-11, 01:32   Link #12
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
It's a lot of fun to race against other groups to release though.
Yeah, I just wish it was more collabrative sometimes, and less "OMG! We gotta hurry up before those dirty bastages beat us!!!"

Just seems like a lot of bad blood these days. I think once in awhile all the groups doing a project should joint on an episode or two just for fun.
Old 2004-09-11, 01:55   Link #13
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude
Just seems like a lot of bad blood these days. I think once in awhile all the groups doing a project should joint on an episode or two just for fun.
It probably would be fun (if the intent of it was for "fun" and not "showing off" l33t skills), but you need only a couple of people to work on a project. Not to mention a single episode. So if you'd be doing things like a transaltion + translation check, 3 edits, 5 quality checks, rough and fine timing, typesettings and encode, that will most likely come to 14-15 people working on it.

Yeah, 15 fansubbing groups... actually, not bad.

Someone can come up with a "dream-team" if they want.
Old 2004-09-11, 02:07   Link #14
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Me! Me! I'll translate 1 line!
Old 2004-09-11, 02:10   Link #15
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
It probably would be fun (if the intent of it was for "fun" and not "showing off" l33t skills), but you need only a couple of people to work on a project. Not to mention a single episode. So if you'd be doing things like a transaltion + translation check, 3 edits, 5 quality checks, rough and fine timing, typesettings and encode, that will most likely come to 14-15 people working on it.

Yeah, 15 fansubbing groups... actually, not bad.

Oh, I just think it'd be cool to have all the translators come together and compare notes and try to perfect their translation, and all the timers and editors get together and fight and argue (in a friendly way ), every little point of timing and grammar.

Such a collabrative work would never happen, but it would be cool if it did.
Old 2004-09-11, 02:22   Link #16
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
I think the multiple groups working on it could be doing it possibly because they enjoy the anime, as not so much the fame they get for doing it. I enjoy it, you get more diverse anime choices amongst what you get to watch if you do'nt prefer one group. Its like toppings on a pizza almost.
Old 2004-09-11, 02:41   Link #17
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Current situation = 15 pizzas, each with 1 topping.
Ideal = 1 pizza, 15 different toppings.

Just my 2 lines =P. Of course, I'm young and idealistic, so something like this could *never* happen.
Old 2004-09-11, 03:03   Link #18
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
I'd say a bigger problem is that most people nowadays forget that subtitles don't go in the bottom 45 pixels of a 640x480 encode...means no subtitles when I play stuff on my shiny new Philips DivX player.

I'd also say a bigger problem is that small groups really have trouble finding people to help with seeding and distro.
It's not a fansubbers problem if you want to watch fansubs on a divx player.
Old 2004-09-11, 03:20   Link #19
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnegaiNL
have you ever wondered why...
Sorry but we've had this argument presented here to many times.

Bottom line, if people want to fansub something (ignoring the fact your example picked a licensed show), then it's up to them what they select to work on.

Whinging and whining here in these forums isn't going to help any.
Closed Thread