Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-04-08, 01:32   Link #21
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555
This is the first good retort I have heard to the Rahxephon fans who do not acknowledge the overt similarities between Eva and Rahx. I've heard many arguments saying that there are differences between the two series, and yes I agree that there are a some differences in execution. However, these analyses must be taken from an outside perspective. When you're looking at two 26 episode series with many similar themes and it is true that the few tangible differences between the two involve overblown observations such as the fact that in Eva and Rahx the main characters' authoritative parent was of a different gender or other arguments along these lines. While I would not dismiss Rahxephon as an Eva-rip, since it does stand on its own merits, Rahxephon simply is not an original and groundbreaking series as its predecessor was. That being said, I do agree with Gold_Rogers that the best description of Rahxephon is an adaptation or a remake because although it does try a few new things, there are simply too many similarities for it to be a completely different experience from Eva.

I hope I haven't opened up a can of worms, and I apologize in advance because that really isn't my intent, I just find it interesting that the two sides seem to have diametrically opposed views, and the best method for comparing them would seem to be to look at both the similarities and the differences and then make an opinion because hardcore fans to each series seem to be too willing to dismiss the other side's point too easily.
Maybe ripoff is too strong a word. As you said, Rahxephon can stand on it's own. Still, it's too different to say it's a remake or an adaption, yet too similar to say it's original and doesn't "borrow" ideas. I can't really think of a better word to use than ripoff. That doesn't mean I'm saying the series sucks.
Old 2004-04-08, 03:03   Link #22
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Although I liked both RahXephon and Evangelion... I would have to agree by saying the similarities are really apparent.... and since Rah came out later... I would have to say that it is almost a copied storyline... even if the concepts are slightly different...

The movie is liscensed? damn that means i have to buy it... what's the movie called? Anyway, maybe the writer who wrote this didn't really think of it as similar when he was doing it so I wouldn't call it a rip off just yet... logically... no writer would wanna do the exact same thing that's been done before unless they were ill informed or wished to have their own ideas and animes produced even if the ideas were similar to another anime because it won't sell as well... so ripoff still is a wrong term i feel... maybe the writer was inspired by eva and wanted to write an anime that was deep but ended up making it too similar to the eva we know...

AAAHhh... I'm just blabbering on... conclusion... they are similar but I don't think it was an intended ripoff from eva
Asakura_Y0h is offline   Reply With Quote