Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-07, 23:55   Link #15501
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I second that. Let's nuke the place to oblivion.
Yes, wherever place A is being a trouble "for the world", let's just nuke them. Problem solved.
Old 2011-08-08, 04:18   Link #15502
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I know that. I'm just saying it's good the Taliban didn't get any extra satisfaction from it.
I'd be surprised if Bin Laden' supposed "death" didn't give them and their supporters some inspiration.
Old 2011-08-08, 05:08   Link #15503
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

ECB backs Italy, Spain as policymakers pledge action
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7J707B20110808
Old 2011-08-08, 07:18   Link #15504
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
North London rocked by riots

So.... the police killed a man who SHOT at them, and these people are rioting, burning shops and police cars and a bus, and attacking the cops, demanding JUSTICE? Justice would be the cops lighting them all up.
Apparently police shot at themselves and then shot that guy, or the guy was using police issues ammo. Honestly, i won't believe anything that is coming out at the moment. Until evidence are shown, everything is just a guess game by the press.
I find it quite funny that politicians have holidays. IMO, being a politician is not a job it is a lifestyle, meaning until your term in office is over you should be working 24/7 for the people who voted for you. No holidays.
Old 2011-08-08, 09:30   Link #15505
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Australian Nancy Wake, who as a spy became one the Allies' most decorated servicewomen for her role in the French resistance during World War II, has died in London, officials said Monday. She was 98.
Code named "The White Mouse" by the Gestapo during the war, Wake died Sunday in a London nursing home, Prime Minister Julia Gillard said.
"Nancy Wake was a woman of exceptional courage and resourcefulness whose daring exploits saved the lives of hundreds of Allied personnel and helped bring the Nazi occupation of France to an end," Gillard said in a statement.
Trained by British intelligence in espionage and sabotage, Wake helped to arm and lead 7,000 resistance fighters in weakening German defenses before the D-Day invasion in the last months of the war.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...8D09.DTL&tsp=1
Old 2011-08-08, 10:13   Link #15506
GundamFan0083

Wow, this is some summer of economic recovery.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-08-07-28-28

Barney Frank certainly understands what we as a nation need to do.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-08-07-24-28

As does of course Ron Paul, David Kucinich, and a few others.
I wonder, will the "progressives" in congress and the White House pull their heads out of their arses fast enough to stop a full blown depression?

Can't say I''m betting on it.
Old 2011-08-08, 10:56   Link #15507
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
ECB backs Italy, Spain as policymakers pledge action
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7J707B20110808
The ECB support purchases of Spanish and Italian debt seems to have worked, bond prices are up and have calmed the investor market for now. Hopefully this will scare off further speculation against these two countries.

Interesting are reports that the European Central Bank in a letter actually dictated the policies that the Italian government should announce and implement (Corriere della Sera). Just can't see the Fed tell off the WH and Congress.
Old 2011-08-08, 11:09   Link #15508
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

The more you look at it, the more evident it is that 911 was just a big excuse to go to war against a nameless enemy while at the same time increase arms sales.

Try to tell the people in government that the wars are pointless and wont solve anything... it really shows that there is an alter motive.

Police of the world my ass. If they want to police it start by going to The Congo and Somalia.

*takes off his captain obvious hat*
Old 2011-08-08, 11:25   Link #15509
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Police of the world my ass. If they want to police it start by going to The Congo and Somalia.
They don't look much interested with Africa, and they had some bad experiences with Somalia...
Old 2011-08-08, 11:45   Link #15510
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The subsaharan jungles ain't got no oil, yo!
Old 2011-08-08, 12:16   Link #15511
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering the colonial/imperial dealing in that region...I get the feeling the Europeans, and by extention the American, would be quite happy if central africa vanished overnight like a bad dream. They had nothing but problems there for at least the last 150 years, and nothing really gained from any of it. With things like that in the collective memory, it stands to reason that the Western World will mostly not care what happens in Central Africa...or at least not care enough to do anything about it for long.

Northern Africa on the other hand has been part of western civilization (one way or another) for thousands of years...so they have intrest there.
Old 2011-08-08, 12:22   Link #15512
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

But still most of that interest is burried in the ground. Digging rights are more important than human rights in politics. Imo, any pro-intervention politician who claims otherwise is lying.
Old 2011-08-08, 12:28   Link #15513
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Human rights over getting resources is quite frankly and very recent concept. And it seems to be one that doesn't hold up in international politics at all. The main restraint seems to be that no one is willing to just go into an invasion to invade in the old style where you are going there to get something you want and no one says otherwise.
Old 2011-08-08, 12:57   Link #15514
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Africa was a very rich continent, but it has been raped over and over by the Europeans for centuries. Afghanistan on the other hand is sitting on nearly one trillion dollars of untapped precious minerals and strangely enough ever since the invasion its Opium sales have exploded.
Old 2011-08-08, 14:04   Link #15515
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I second that. Let's nuke the place to oblivion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Yes, wherever place A is being a trouble "for the world", let's just nuke them. Problem solved.
don't have to nuke it to oblivion, just use it to store radioactive waste. After 10k yrs, both sides should have stop fighting by then (i hope).
Old 2011-08-08, 14:30   Link #15516
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
About the same thing happened in France a few year back, in fact it wasmuch worse.
It happens every few years in France - not always this big, of course. It happened in 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2000...
Old 2011-08-08, 16:20   Link #15517
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Africa was a very rich continent, but it has been raped over and over by the Europeans for centuries. Afghanistan on the other hand is sitting on nearly one trillion dollars of untapped precious minerals and strangely enough ever since the invasion its Opium sales have exploded.
On the other hand, every invasion force that has ever invaded has utterly failed to hold it for any length of time. Afghanistan is basically the edge of civilization.

Look at how bad the Soviets failed, and militarily the Soviets were pretty much as strong as the US. I think the Americans are recognizing that's it's pretty much impossible to maintain a region like Afghanistan. Even Afghanistan has trouble holding Afghanistan! (look at the number of tribal warlords...)
Old 2011-08-08, 16:23   Link #15518
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
On the other hand, every invasion force that has ever invaded has utterly failed to hold it for any length of time. Afghanistan is basically the edge of civilization.

Look at how bad the Soviets failed, and militarily the Soviets were pretty much as strong as the US. I think the Americans are recognizing that's it's pretty much impossible to maintain a region like Afghanistan. Even Afghanistan has trouble holding Afghanistan! (look at the number of tribal warlords...)
It has a nickname. Death of Empires. The Russian's tried twice. The British had a hell of a time there, the Persians had a hell of a time. Ottomans tried and didn't do so hot, several central Asian kingdoms of old tried. The only ones who held Afghanistan for any length of time were the Mongolians, and that was because they basically depopulated the place.

In other news, London police blame Grand Theft Auto for the riots

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/118/1186734p1.html

I wonder if this will effect PG18 games and their availability in the UK.
Old 2011-08-08, 16:24   Link #15519
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(watching stock markets).... well, if my aunt and uncle had any vision left of retiring, it just died today. They'll be dead before their retirement funds come back :P

The inevitable result when people elect people dumber than mud and righteous about it. "Ah think I'll start cutting back by not paying fer stuff I already bought... whut you mean ah ruined my reputation in town?"
Old 2011-08-08, 16:42   Link #15520
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Africa was a very rich continent, but it has been raped over and over by the Europeans for centuries.
"China's CNOOC Ltd (0883.HK: Quote) and Ghana National Petroleum Corp
(GNPC) have submitted a $5 billion bid for Kosmos Energy LLC's assets in the
West African country, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters
on Friday.

China has become a major investor in African energy and mineral resources,
which it needs to feed its booming economy."

See:

http://af.reuters.com/article/energy...69L03U20101022

Looks like it's China's turn now. I wonder how that'll pan out?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international