AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-12, 15:19   Link #241
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It was about time this chapter was animated, and as expected the staff did a damn good job of it. Best chapter of the manga and best episode of the anime.
Spoiler for Episode 11:
Old 2012-03-12, 16:09   Link #242
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Old 2012-03-12, 18:09   Link #243
webkid94
*Author

alright, this is when i bump Natsume Shi to a 10/10 overall. I swear, episodes like these come along and they're so damn emotional but this series always LOVES starting the ending song before the actual ED video, which I think is a really good choice to make. This episode + ending song playing = manly tears were shed.

Really, it felt like last month was almost the weakest month for Natsume as a whole, and then this episode comes..and totally reminds me why this is my all time favorite series. Just beautiful.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 19:26   Link #244
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Glad Tanuma got Natsume to snap out of it. Glad they found the picture. His parents look so kind. Like how he asked Tohko and Shigeru if he could go visit the house.
Old 2012-03-12, 19:27   Link #245
HandofFate

no big youkai interactions, but some nice stuff on the human side.

Tanuma continues to be a very good bro to natsume.
Old 2012-03-12, 21:09   Link #246
Kirarakim

I read this story in the manga so I knew what to expect but the anime did a fantastic job. I teared up a few times (which I don't think happened when I read the manga)

Loved Tanuma yelling at Natsume. Natsume still has issues not wanting to burden people.

Also I don't remember for sure, but I think the pictures in the closet was a scene the anime ended (unless my memory is faulty). I really liked that scene too.
Old 2012-03-12, 22:24   Link #247
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This was obviously a powerful episode on so many levels, but I really appreciate the way the relationship between Natsume and Nyanko-sensei has evolved and the way it reveals itself here. It's the core relationship in the series but it doesn't get talked about much, and it's developed so far beyond what it was in the first couple of seasons.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 23:06   Link #248
Echoes

This episode was indeed emotionally powerful. I agree with Kanon when he characterizes this episode as one of the series strongest; it did everything right.

It really crept up on me without me even realizing. When Natsume recovered the photo and was looking at it I suddenly found myself a little teary-eyed. I did not expect that, but the love and longing he left was portrayed so genuinely I couldn't help but be moved.

I thought that the conflict between leaving behind memories because they are primarily painful to recall, or treasuring them because they are the only remaining part of the person to be wonderfully executed. In addition to moving me, it truly does make me think and reflect, and that's surely one of the biggest compliments you can pay a show.
Old 2012-03-13, 02:05   Link #249
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
On a side note....woo we got to see Taki again !

But really this was a great episode. I really didn't think we'd find out much about Natsume's parents at all, but we finally got some information. Probably would have been hit by the emotion even more if I didn't have a cold, but it still got to me.

It's a tough thing for Natsume being stuck like that. He's already forgotten so much so its almost easier to force himself to just try and forget the rest so it won't hurt. But all he was doing was hurting himself. Even though he's happy now doesn't mean he isn't hurting from the knowledge that he'll never know his mother and never see his father again. I'm glad that Tanuma and Nyanko managed to force him to face his feelings.
Old 2012-03-13, 03:21   Link #250
Yume Hanabi

Just when I thought it had been a while since Natsume last had nightmares about his childhood... That was a beautiful episode, very moving in a lot of ways. Loved the bit about the photos of his friends, how Tohko looked so concerned about him (I'd like another episode focusing on the Fujiwara btw), how Tanuma made him snap out of his "must-not-burden-people" state of mind and actually got him to ask for help (and later permission to go to his house). And, of course, learning more about his true parents. Too many good things here.
Old 2012-03-13, 04:02   Link #251
sergel02

I really loved this episode. I like that there weren't that many youkai tbh, since I'm not big on the youkai part of the show.

I can totally relate to Natsume. Its easier to forget if there is something we want but can't have; however, sometimes its worse to forget.

I really loved the interaction between Natsume and Tanuma the most. What can i saw, i mainly watch this show for that. Little things like how Natsume tugged Tanuma back to stop him from peeking in this closet make my day. MUST. FIND. MORE OF THAT.
But anyway, yeah i liked how Tanuma, who is usually a bit reserved and quite, yelled out Natsume and grabbed his shoulder and stuff. It really shows how much he cares for Natsume. A good friend knows how to snap you out of your funks. I have a friend who is just like Natsume in not wanting to burden anyone (actually i think he gets it from lots of manga and anime ;P) and as sort of like the Tanuma in our relationship, i understand why he feels like that, but it annoys me to death. The "not wanting to burden your" thing is more burdensome than what the actual thing is. Its usually something trivial too. lol i guess that's why Tanuma is my favorite character.

I was wondering tho, could Natsume have done something to that youkai trying to attack him? I saw season 1 and this one, but missed the ones in between, and all i recall is Nyanko coming to save Natsume.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 04:22   Link #252
Yume Hanabi

He could have OHKO-punched it, like he often does when Nyanko is late to come to his rescue. I always love it when he does that, but he clearly wasn't in the mood here. He does it a bit in S1 too, mainly to Madara at the beginning XD

(Wait, you've only seen S1 and this one? What are you waiting for before watching the others? Especially S3 if you like Tanuma!)
Old 2012-03-13, 07:40   Link #253
ifk

Shit... I cry manly tears again... Can't wait to see next episode!
Anyone who've read the manga can spoil me a bit?

And yay Taki comes again!!!
ifk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 12:36   Link #254
satomianzaki

a very nice episode indeed...
and yes! taki!!! though its just a brief appearance, i'm still happy...
satomianzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 00:13   Link #255
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume Hanabi View Post

(Wait, you've only seen S1 and this one? What are you waiting for before watching the others? Especially S3 if you like Tanuma!)
Yeah, only 1 and 4. Been following season 4 regularly, but only saw bits of 1, and a couple episodes of other seasons.

I watched a lot of anime when i was younger, then kinda just fell out of until last year during college. We happened to have Netflix then, and it was really cold and rainy in February so I decided to check out Fruits Basket since i heard about it. I fell in love, and now I'm crazier about animes than before. I even started to read manga, which i never did before.

So is there a decent amount of Tanuma in S3? I read the previews of episodes on wikipedia and it seems interesting =)
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 16:36   Link #256
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I gotta ask a question to all of you. After watching a lot of multiple season anime over the years is there any other anime that consistently puts out excellent episodes like this anime? I'm might have to rewatch the series in whole again but I literally can't think of a bad episode in this series.

What other anime out there is like this one in that it doesn't just throw away an episode dedicated to either a beach trip or some other cliche' like the class festival or some other overly used concept to muddle story flow in order to fill 20 mins.

Whoever runs the overall directing of this series over the years must be very proud to be able to say there are no half-assed episodes in this series. They are all emotionally powerful in some way. Not sure why I bring this up, but the notion just suddenly hit me after watching the latest episode and I thought they deserved some recognition for not letting a single episode go by without a lot of thought being put towards it.
Old 2012-03-14, 17:17   Link #257
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This definitely goes down as one of the best pure adaptations ever. It totally captures the feel and tone of the manga, yet subtly changes it for better transition to anime. It mixes in anime-original material that's so good there's no dropoff. Omori-sensei has done an amazing job with this from day one, and as you say, the consistency is amazing. Credit the mangaka, but credit the director and Brain's Base too.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 01:30   Link #258
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to agree that the Natsume series overall is one of the best quality per episode of any series I've seen. Every week I know that a good episode is going to come out that will make me care. I may have favorites, but that's not taking away anything from the others. Everyone involved with this series should be proud. This kind of consistent quality is hard for anyone to achieve and Natsume has done it over four seasons.

It's one reason why Natsume is one of my favorite series.
Old 2012-03-15, 02:15   Link #259
Yume Hanabi

Agreeing with everyone here.

btw, judging by how many volumes the anime has covered so far and the pace with which they're coming out, I estimate the fifth season to come around Fall 2013. I suppose that at this point, we don't have to worry about whether there'll even be a fifth season?
Old 2012-03-16, 12:05   Link #260
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Apparently there is a theme park in Ikebukuro that is going to be serving Natsume Yuujinchou themed snacks, they look pretty tasty.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shoujo