AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 21
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 12 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 27 28.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 22 22.92%
7 out of 10 : Good... 14 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average... 9 9.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 6 6.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-25, 04:56   Link #121
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
This episode was so damn bad, so many things just pissed me off here.

I'll start off by saying the Suguha being interested in Kirito is basically okay with me on an evaluative standpoint. Let's casually pass by the retarded tentacle scene that was so pointlessly shoved in for...whatever.

Starting with the villain, I've given up on giving any credit for the villain, who's about as dumb as an already dead goldfish. While he does have a few other things on his agenda, the big plan was to marry Asuna in a week, yet he leaves her unwatched with two pointless tentacle scientists as guards (probably just luckily caught her), with a perfectly accessible cube with no password that could log her out. Don't give me that bullshit that it would have rejected her, there were no filters and the one scientist logged out immediately after. If it's a year or something, it could be very tedious, but he controls the game. Put about 100 armed guards in between her and that cube, then keep changing the password for the terminal every day for one week. ONE WEEK.

And you know what? I think I WILL rant about the tentacle scene. Am I watching a hentai series or something? Last time I checked, this was Sword Art Online. I had a bad feeling the second I saw the whatevers, but I actually didn't think they'd stoop this low. This wasn't implied sexuality, it WAS sexual. There was NO point to it at all either, or I wouldn't be here.

Finally, if someone can explain this to me: Lyfa just finished explained that flying up the tree was impossible since they patched it. So, why is Kirito trying it the following scene?

-end rant-
Spoiler for tiny spoiler:

to answer the above... I'd say Sugou was just over confident like a typical villain who thinks everything is according to plan; the dude is a corporate worker, not a villain master mind after all.

I can't really say anything about the tentacle part, except that they make good constricting medium...

and the last part about Kirito flying to the tree, that was him overwhelmed by the knowledge that Asuna is indeed on top of the tree. there's no confirmation about it until Yui told him at that point, so he just want to rush it. Don't forget that the main reason he play AOL is to find Asuna. and now that goal is really close...
I'd say that's a very plausible reaction.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 04:57   Link #122
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
While he does have a few other things on his agenda, the big plan was to marry Asuna in a week, yet he leaves her unwatched with two pointless tentacle scientists as guards (probably just luckily caught her), with a perfectly accessible cube with no password that could log her out.
The researchers are not guards, there is no need for guards, as she was never supposed to be able to leave the cage in the first place. Your propositions are also way out there, they're not running a Supermax prison in there.

I've about just had enough with all the moral-rage too, I'll just let someone else deal with it.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 05:05   Link #123
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
Spoiler for tiny spoiler:

to answer the above... I'd say Sugou was just over confident like a typical villain who thinks everything is according to plan; the dude is a corporate worker, not a villain master mind after all.

I can't really say anything about the tentacle part, except that they make good constricting medium...

and the last part about Kirito flying to the tree, that was him overwhelmed by the knowledge that Asuna is indeed on top of the tree. there's no confirmation about it until Yui told him at that point, so he just want to rush it. Don't forget that the main reason he play AOL is to find Asuna. and now that goal is really close...
I'd say that's a very plausible reaction.
Okay, I'll buy that Sugou's not smart enough to be a villain. But then the villain in the series holds no value.

That was my guess on the Kirito flying scene, thanks for corroborating it. I'm just desensitized from the actual plot because they screwed around for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
The researchers are not guards, there is no need for guards, as she was never supposed to be able to leave the cage in the first place. Your propositions are also way out there, they're not running a Supermax prison in there.

I've about just had enough with all the moral-rage too, I'll just let someone else deal with it.
The proportions were just overblown as an example. I'm saying that for something as big as marriage happening in this guy's future plans, he sure doesn't try at all to guard her from escaping. It doesn't have to be a Supermax prison, just put something in there that shows me you actually care she's locked up here. Have a password on the security cube, have an actual guard, smarten up after you toss her back in.

It sounds like I don't want Asuna to escape, but that's not the case. It's just that as a spectator, she's going to get out with no resilience, and that ruins the point of Kirito even coming to get her.

And by turning your back to the matter, are you implying that there's nothing wrong at all with how the direction's been taken? There are moral-rages here I will admit, but some things are just plain baffling to me. Plus, you can't disagree in saying that the show's been degrading since the start, am I wrong?

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-11-25 at 05:16.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 05:12   Link #124
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Just watched the ep. It was decent, though I don't know how much they butchered the light novel story. Though I've hoped not to see the tentacle pseudo-rape in SAO... - -'
Old 2012-11-25, 05:16   Link #125
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Sony, isn't it about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for a retuning?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-25 at 13:17.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 06:13   Link #126
Bafflement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
just because someone is involved in an advanced scientific field does not mean they're smart and have great insight with everything they do, often times it's the complete opposite.
Actually, someone successful in advanced science would indeed be smart and insightful, they just may not be very experienced or interested in matters such as security.

Besides, it doesn't apply in this case since as mentioned Sugou is more of a businessman.

My standard explanation that I use for all the quirks in the VR setup is that they're borrowing legacy code, and hence it may not be easy for them to make the underlying SAO engine do exactly what they want. Plus Sugou seems like the type who'd take shortcuts.
Bafflement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 06:44   Link #127
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Wow, this episode made me rage more! Do I have for Asuna to be saved on the next episode because I can't take it anymore!

Still, if Sugou has some cunning skill, he could have kill Kirito, rape and kill Asuna, take over the company and screw everyone. Unfortunately, he's such a wannabe compared to effin' Seiji Noumi!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 07:04   Link #128
Solafighter
Hige

^ lol

So next week.... huh?....
Can't wait for that episode.
Old 2012-11-25, 07:25   Link #129
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Plus, you can't disagree in saying that the show's been degrading since the start, am I wrong?
Sorry to burst you bubble, but I can, I do, and there´s no such thing as ´wrong´. Unless you mean ´wrong about it being impossible to disagree with you´, in which case you are.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 07:29   Link #130
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Sorry to burst you bubble, but I can, I do, and there´s no such thing as ´wrong´. Unless you mean ´wrong about it being impossible to disagree with you´, in which case you are.
Yeah, I'll withdraw that statement since I worded it incorrectly, my apologies.
Old 2012-11-25, 07:44   Link #131
Peanutbutter

I'm starting to feel really bad for Suguha/Lyfa. I almost dun wanna see how she will react if she knew who Kirito really was.

So far till this episode, amazing adaption, poor source material. That really sums up this series as a whole, I think.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 07:52   Link #132
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Wow, this episode made me rage more! Do I have for Asuna to be saved on the next episode because I can't take it anymore!

Still, if Sugou has some cunning skill, he could have kill Kirito, rape and kill Asuna, take over the company and screw everyone. Unfortunately, he's such a wannabe compared to effin' Seiji Noumi!
I wonder if the author had ever read Stephen King's Misery. How pissed off Sugou is, we'll have to wait and find out.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 08:40   Link #133
HandofFate

Some of you guys making a deal of the tentacle thing are crazy.

If you were a tentacle monster, and you came across a random Asuna, you wouldn't be tempted to tentacle-molest her at all? Don't buy it at all.
Old 2012-11-25, 09:03   Link #134
Insane
Banned

In short, our main complain here is that sugou make things too easy for our main characters to counterattack his villainous plans?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 09:45   Link #135
Kamui04

Let's also add that a lot of times, people in positions of power aren't there because they're almighty geniuses. Many times they're there by sheer luck; because they've been stepping on other people's back; they're manipulative psychopaths or because he has an awesome team covering his back.

So far he has shown jealousy towards his senior Kayaba Akihiko which one might interpret as him feeling or really being inferior to Kayaba. And he's a manipulative psychopath from his interactions with the Yuuki family and how he has reached his position as VP. I could add more but they'd be considered spoilers.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 10:30   Link #136
madars

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Continuing in the "Advice to Evil Overlords" series, if you're doing evil experiments, don't call the room the "Experiment Room". Give it some some netural/boring sounding name like "Waste Processing" or "Power Distribution" or something that a curious escaped captive will never find suspicious. And also, even if you've never had a security incident ever, still don't leave security cards next to (or in) their console; this is just a Bad Idea (TM).
I think that there is not much that can happen in anime without author's (Kawahara's) knowledge, so what need there is for security or hiding?
madars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 11:20   Link #137
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

This was better than last ep...

The fact that there's a little-sister-in-love-with-bro plot is annoying, but Sugu is at least being written fairly well for a character lumbered with that plot. Some of her reactions are realistic. She's not actually considering a romantic relationship with him and has realised it's not going to go anywhere, but is still having to deal with her feelings. Poor Sugu, she's likely to think of Kirito in the game as being a healthy option for getting over real-life Kirito! Although Yui did mention a "Mama" so with a bit of luck she'll realise that Kirito is taken too.

The scenery this ep was nice, too. I'd have liked to see more of the city, but oh well. It's also nice that Kirito's taking things seriously now and not running off to do side quests. Asuna's scenes in this ep were a mixture of good and bad.

The good: she did, very nearly, escape and save herself. Her decisions were sound, she was cautious, and she swore to save those other trapped people. Although she got thwarted, she was at least able to grab the keycard, which may be of use later. This is better than many characters get when they're locked up and stuck as a damsel in distress.

Sugou's a very boring villain IMO, but it's interesting that it didn't cross his mind to have Asuna monitored in any way. I suppose he would have been confident that she couldn't escape. But, you know, he should have been able to anticipate that Asuna would at least attempt to find the right combination and put her hours of boring captivity to use. He was arrogant and lax, leaving her with keypad access and no monitoring, no matter how small he thought the odds of her getting the combination were.

The bad: The creepy as hell tentacle molestation scene. There's really no excuse for it. Fanservice has been ramping up in this story arc, and now it's even at the point of having an eroticised tentacle scene. It sucks that much of Asuna's role in this arc has been to be helpless and take part in scenes consisting of various levels of threatened molestation. Okay, so she needs to be a captive for the sake of the plot, but this other stuff is gratuitous and unnecessary.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 11:29   Link #138
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Well cool episode , i guess ?

The end kinda escalated quickly and i can't stop laughing at the kirito's sister
Jesus christ , looks like she have some really mental issues after all.
She can't even discover that the dude is her brother.

The next episode would be funny about that.

relentlessflame
I also wonder why people wich do forbidden experiments in order to make a path in science are tagged "bad guy"
I mean , way before , some people used dissection on human bodies in order to make things move , they were considered like criminals / terrorist / against god /whenever

It would be funny if for a change some bad scientist brings this up to explain their actions.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 11:36   Link #139
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Poor Suguha, I think even if Asuna weren't around Kirito wouldn't be into her. He treats her like 100% platonic sibling.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 11:49   Link #140
LunaToned

Why do people feel so bad for her o.o?

I mean i get that it sucks that she's in love but cant get him and all.. but they are siblings.. meaning I'm pretty thankful they won't be together.. cus that'll just be weird
LunaToned is offline   Reply With Quote