AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 18:15   Link #1661
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I mean, I ate the "Destiny" part, i corrected myself, sorry. Well, despite its flaws, I really enjoyed SEED as it was refreshing and even more absorbing than Wing which introduced me to the franchise. After watching a couple of other Gundam series myself I gotta say that with the exception of Origin, Zeta and mini UC OAVs, there is nothing that makes me scream: "great show"...

Ah well, I am not giving up on the movie. And I still hope it will have more impact on me than 00's ending.
Old 2009-03-29, 18:17   Link #1662
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ya can't blame this generation of anime fans.

besides i look at pics of turn a with mustache gundam.

but GS was one that re-invent the gundam & heck up till now GS characters are still on anime characters rankings.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:19   Link #1663
Garrod Ran
Blazing mobile suit pilot

lol at ' this ' generation of anime fans . im only 24 myself not 63
Garrod Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:20   Link #1664
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Well, one can have sixty-five and be the "younger generation fan" just because he got into the franchize thanks to SEED, for instance...
Old 2009-03-29, 18:25   Link #1665
kakakka

Uhmmm, sixty-five and just got into Gundam...hhhmm.....
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 19:36   Link #1666
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Whoa, years after GSD ended, this thread is still going on?

- Tak (My first post in this thread was two years ago!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 21:24   Link #1667
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-KLAC View Post
ya can't blame this generation of anime fans.

besides i look at pics of turn a with mustache gundam.

but GS was one that re-invent the gundam & heck up till now GS characters are still on anime characters rankings.
I believe the whole point of Tomino using an obvious weird choice for the design of the main gundam was to prove that, a good story can be told even without selling the models.

And he proved it.

Turn A breathed a lot of new air into Gundam, it is also the only Gundam that carries a fantasy element so well that it rivals the atmosphere of Miyazaki movies.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 03:40   Link #1668
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Still, I found Turn A's designs too awkward to bear. The rest - the music, the characters where pretty decent, though I find some of the developments both a bit too rushed or too slow depending on the character. But if one searches for originality within the franchise, Turn A without doubt is one of the best choices. Gundam SEED was meant to be boosted, dramatized, cutified version of the old origin after all...

But re-invention and originality is not the same, as we see. I hate to say that, but I perceive SEED the same way as D-KLAC stated in the post above.
Old 2009-03-30, 03:58   Link #1669
plau

I don't think they have a confirmed UC Project... the 30th Anniversary one turned out to be a Game about UC0081... So you never know...
plau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 20:53   Link #1670
Amber.Dawn

Well, gotta love the Gundam designs in SEED. Hail Strike, Strike Freedom, and Red Frame.
Amber.Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 21:12   Link #1671
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrod Ran View Post
gundam seed did nothing to revive the gundam era .
the series before it was Turn A , which was bloody excellent.
You got that right. The guy who directed Turn A Gundam is none other than Master Yoshiyuki Tomino.
Shinn_Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 01:15   Link #1672
winter45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrod Ran View Post
gundam seed did nothing to revive the gundam era .
the series before it was Turn A , which was bloody excellent.
Damn straight.. But its still funny how seedlings believe its seed that returned the veiwers. Tomino the man himself with almost free reign deliverd an excellent story. A story of TURN A that attracted more viewers to the gundam franchise that produced results.

These same viewers are the ones who anticipated gundam seed/destiny on the following years later which helped to develope the popularity of gundam in general.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 01:35   Link #1673
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Funny that people are talking about 'this generation'. As far as I know, with each passing generation, mecha fans are getting less and less appreciative, and no longer have a true mecha spirit.

The weakest group are the ones who refer any mecha as Gundam, any mecha that combines is Power Rangers.

Then we have the next group the 'Sunrise Experts', they're 'hardcore mecha fans' who watched a grand total of 4 mecha anime, SEED, GSD, Geass, 00.

Then we have another group, they've thought they've seen the best mecha anime ever, namely Macross Frontier and Gurren Lagann.

Hmmm wait, where are 90's? I'm not even talking about 70's and 80's. Oh wait, yes they've also seen the greatest anime ever - Neon Genesis Evangelion.

When is the best mecha age? Definitely not the 21st century.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 01:57   Link #1674
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Funny that people are talking about 'this generation'. As far as I know, with each passing generation, mecha fans are getting less and less appreciative, and no longer have a true mecha spirit.
Since you are mentioning true mecha spirit, care to share how fans of this generation can have that certain spirit so that people of 'this generation' can appreciate mecha more?

Quote:
Damn straight.. But its still funny how seedlings believe its seed that returned the veiwers. Tomino the man himself with almost free reign deliverd an excellent story. A story of TURN A that attracted more viewers to the gundam franchise that produced results.

These same viewers are the ones who anticipated gundam seed/destiny on the following years later which helped to develope the popularity of gundam in general.
Do you have any data to back this up like sales reports or TV ratings? I mean how do you know that interest in Gundam in general was developed because of Turn-A that later caught on with GS? I'm curious about during that time and would like to read some data as to how Gundam performed back then as you claim.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 02:05   Link #1675
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

When it first came out in '79, MSG was NOT a hit. That's as far as I go on data.
Old 2009-04-02, 02:23   Link #1676
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If one doesn't have that passion for mecha its hard to put it into him when he old. Most people who are really into mecha, me included, have grown up watching mecha anime. People who have never seen mecha, cannot get into mecha easily if they're at an older age.

Its like picking up a musical instrument, to be extremely good at it, you must be trained when you're young. Most people who never played music, can't get into musical instruments when they're older, they can learn it, but they'll never be as good as those who played since young. And if someone can pick it up when they're old, its because they have great passion for it and maybe had talent.

Most people of this generation, who only got into anime because of fansubs, they're already teenagers or grown ups and they find mecha childish amongst other reasons. We can't get most of these people to appreciate mecha like those who had grown up watching it.

And for some reason, people have a sort of weird quirk these days, they feel that everything must be explained to them, anything not explained would be a plothole, anything unexplainable, a Deux Ex Machina. Its like asking why Cinderella has a Fairy God Mother and why did Cinderella transform back to her poor self but her Glass Slipper did not. They are not able to appreciate something for what is presented.

I cannot tell people how to appreciate, nor can I tell them how to appreciate more, most people just do not have the passion brewed in them and won't be able to have that strong mecha spirit.

I can only recommend people to watch older titles which most people won't accept because they've grown to be picky about animation and design, another point where people fail to be appreciative. People who have seen old anime since young are used to bad animation and design, and can appreciate the animation and these days much better.

If you want to have that spirit, the easiest way is to play the Super Robot Wars series which requires you to have at least the basic knowledge of Japanese. Otherwise you'd have to watch old titles, at least from the 90's where the last classic titles happened. Even on this page and before, we already have people who can't appreciate Turn A Gundam, I don't know whether Nadesico, Gaogaigar and Gaogaigar FINAL, Giant Robo and Big O can appeal to people.

Old 2009-04-02, 02:26   Link #1677
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

In short, Rule of Cool. Mecha animes do run on it alot more than others.

Oh, and I'm not quite sure how Cinderella comes. There are literally thousands of different versions of the tale, some which are Older than You Think. As for the glass slippers, it was explained that the slippers were the only thing which did not disappear. Cindy did have the other one with her, while the Prince pocketed the one left behind.
Old 2009-04-02, 02:27   Link #1678
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
In short, Rule of Cool.
It would be truly sad if people don't even understand the rule of cool.

Old 2009-04-02, 02:32   Link #1679
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
It would be truly sad if people don't even understand the rule of cool.
I do go on the rides once in a while. But, somehow I prefer scaring myself witless, with Monster and Hellsing. Now, Hellsing and Saiyuki are those series which also run on Rule of Cool.
Old 2009-04-02, 02:43   Link #1680
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

I dont know, but to me it seems that mecha spirit is something that can pretty much be applied to any older anime titles but then again as yez mentioned the rule of cool. On the other hand Nostalgia can play a large part, but I'll just leave it at that.
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep