AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-09-11, 16:40   Link #441
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

In Clayman's defense, in the context of what Clayman was used to, the situation of Rimuru is a case of "the truth is stranger than fiction."

The actual events of Rimuru solo-ing the entire Falmuth invasion force on his own is just so plain absurd that the made up story sounds quite plausible in comparison.

Also what some of you may have missed: When Clayman inferred that Laplace was insinuating that Clayman is following someone else's plan, this was obviously not referring to Kazalim/Kagali or "the one Clayman is indebted to" (Yuuki), but rather an entirely different third party, because Clayman directly tell Laplace that he IS following the orders of Kazalim/Kagali and Yuuki when they send them to him and you see that in action, since, if you recall, it was Kagali, Laplace and Yuuki who came up with the idea of Clayman starting Walpurgis and controlling Milim and also Frey had already happened by then, so all that were older and (presumably) successful plans.

The only "hasty" plan that Clayman came up with on his own (or as insinuated to be actually from a third party) was attacking Eurazania before Walpurgis, which doesn't have too much of an impact on the current situation other than Rimuru gaining a lot of evidence against Clayman. But not having the evidence wouldn't have change the fact that Rimuru and Clayman would end up fighting against each other in the end, so the only notable consequence was Rimuru being saved a lot of clean-up work, as well as intel about Footman and Tear and their connection to Clayman and another unknown party (to Rimuru) being exposed, so rather than hurting himself, he hurt both his master as well as his benefactor by doing that.

But honestly speaking Clayman doing this was not a bad idea itself. Clayman didn't know this, but Rimuru was awakened as a True Demon Lord while Clayman wasn't. Had Clayman succeeded he'd have leveled the playing field a little, though with all the distrust Clayman had with his subordinates (and the fact that he is not a naming-maniac like Rimuru), the effects from his gift would have not been too good in comparison. There is one big issue with this plan though, which is that in the worst case Clayman might have ended up awakening in the middle of Walpurgis, which would have made him completely defenseless during his evolution sleep, becoming an easy target for Rimuru.

The real issue with Clayman is his execution here. He seemed negligent on preparing to respond to Rimuru's possible rebuttals despite having some time to go through that as it was announced and approved in advance. Mjurran fed him some info about Tempest since at least the first Charybdis battle (even in the anime Clayman mentioned Mjurran in the first season and she also showed Clayman a crystal ball with the Charybdis battle at the beginning of season 2) but Clayman's info was always obscured in some way and Clayman ended up never learning the power of level Rimuru had reached for various reasons (though the anime did not really explain that very much). Due to that, Clayman ended up greatly underestimating Rimuru, I guess.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2021-09-11 at 16:55.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-11, 23:26   Link #442
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
He *doesn't* expect them to believe it. He is desperate. His actions are those of a desperate person. Clayman is the sort of person who likes to strike from the shadows against the (relatively) weak and unaware. If Rimuru wasn't Rimuru, his plans would have worked. The point of failure, almost every time, was his ignorance of Rimuru's true nature, as has been stated before.
Heh, I guess I can accept the explanation that monsters in this world underestimate slimes because they're the sort of monsters you'd find in the starter dungeon, too bad Rimuru isn't a typical slime

Yuuki should know better though, since Rimuru presumably told Yuuki everything about himself, but he didn't choose to share this info with Clayman, so now Clayman's going bye bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
The real issue with Clayman is his execution here. He seemed negligent on preparing to respond to Rimuru's possible rebuttals despite having some time to go through that as it was announced and approved in advance. Mjurran fed him some info about Tempest since at least the first Charybdis battle (even in the anime Clayman mentioned Mjurran in the first season and she also showed Clayman a crystal ball with the Charybdis battle at the beginning of season 2) but Clayman's info was always obscured in some way and Clayman ended up never learning the power of level Rimuru had reached for various reasons (though the anime did not really explain that very much). Due to that, Clayman ended up greatly underestimating Rimuru, I guess.
Part of it is Clayman's arrogance, he's so full of himself that he can't even comprehend that somebody can outmaneuver him when it comes to scheming.

Another part is Rimuru's excellent information network. He expertly convinced Clayman to act according to his plans, for example pinning the Falmuth army's massacre to Veldora's awakening, that Clayman doesn't even doubt the story that one of his subordinates only overheard from a passing peddler or whatever, since that's what Myulan also said in her report.

Another part is of course, Clayman's thinking that a mere slime isn't capable of this kind of scheming, since they're typically weak and not so bright. The only plausible explanation for him is that this slime is merely faking it and using Veldora's authority to control forest creatures.

Maybe don't be too racist against slimes next time Clayman
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-12, 12:37   Link #443
Tuor

I'm sure Rimuru told Yuuki a good deal about himself, particularly about his Japanese self. And what was he in Japan? A general contractor that worked in the construction business. An otaku. In his 30s and no girlfriend and never married. Are you seeing what I'm getting at? Yes, Yuuki knew that Rimuru was an Otherworlder and had died and been reincarnated (unlike most others we've seen, who all seem to have simply been yanked while alive into this world as a result of a ceremony). But nothing about his Japanese self indicated that he'd be a threat when it comes to scheming or associating with high-level people.

Yuuki might know that Rimuru is an offworlder and from the same country as him. He might even know what Rimuru has done up until they met (more or less), but that doesn't mean he really understands Rimuru or the full scope of his abilities. For one thing, Rimuru hasn't told *anyone* about Great Sage / Raphael. As mentioned in-story, your skills are actually part of you, and that means Raphael isn't some separate entity that lives in Rimuru's head. It's part of Rimuru himself and always has been.

But, yes, I'll grant you that Yuuki has a leg up on people when it comes to Rimuru due to their common origin and interests. But, and this is more evident in the books, he still underestimates Rimuru and in particular the community of friends and associates Rimuru has brought up around him. Yuuki repeatedly underestimates the *scope* that Rimuru acts upon, and because he doesn't know about Raphael, often fails to grasp the true level of Rimuru's insight.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-12, 13:53   Link #444
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Yuuki must not be acquainted with the Isekai genre if he is underestimating an Isekai'd person, regardless of whether or not being dragged into this world is common or not. Yes, they might only be as strong as the three idiots from Falmuth, but you don't know this.

Clayman is forgivable, he thinks Rimuru is a natural monster.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 10:34   Link #445
Frontier

So it turns out Veldora only showed up because he wants to know what happens next in 3x3 Eyes. He didn't do it because he was worried about Rimuru, he's just that desperate to find out what happens next in his current manga. Veldora certainly has his priorities in order .

Milim's dragon dad was Veldora's older brother? So Milim is Veldora's niece? So this fight is actually family bonding time between uncle and niece? I guess ?

Veldora was about to tell Rimuru the truth about Milim too and he was too much in a rush to listen. Sometimes you just need to take a second, Rimuru .

Well, Ranga could fight off Ninth Head, but it's just another victim of Clayman's manipulations who Rimuru quickly frees...to some jealousy from Ranga. Don't ignore your wolf, Rimuru .

Beretta makes quick work of Viola and just wants to make sure she can serve Rimuru and Ramiris in her own way .

Look at Veldora dishing out all those Street Fighter moves and even a Kamehameha. They even credited the sources in the credits .

Shion's not having much more trouble with Clayman either as she makes quick work of all his marionette powers. Even when he transforms and retakes his clown form, it's still barely a fight .

So, yeah, Milim was never brainwashed. She and Frey were basically just pretending for Clayman's sake so I guess they could betray him and find out what he's after or something. It just relied on Milim being strong enough to overcome whatever spell Clayman concocted, which of course she was. Frey never intended to actually betray her. In hindsight the amount of personality Milim shown while still brainwashed should've been a dead giveaway .

And Demon Lord Carrion was there the whole time...under a lion mask...like, he didn't even transform his face, he was literally wearing a mask the whole time. Which Raphael could have told Rimuru if, again, he had just listened to her. You bet you owe her an apology .

Milim did indeed decimate Carrion's kingdom and nearly kill him of her own free will...but hey, if you can repair said kindgom on Clayman's dime and resources, what's the harm ?

I love how all the Demon Lords are pretending they knew all along that Milim wasn't possessed. Leon just thinks it's all ridiculous, which it kind of is .

Clayman near-death reminiscnes on his past with the clowns and wanting to be one of them, until he met Yuuki who appears to be the true villain of these events who helped orchestrate everything and put Clayman on the path of his plans with the motivating factor of reviving Kazalim (which succeeded). But Clayman isn't going to just lay there and die without fulfilling as much as he can and channels his spirit and others into a new deadly form in an awakening .

Which it turns out Rimuru also planned for with Raphael so they could free the spirits he had consumed, which honestly takes a lot of the tension out of it. I guess they needed an excuse for Rimuru to get his epic solo showdown with Clayman to close out the season .
Old 2021-09-14, 10:49   Link #446
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

See? After hitting rock-bottom in this episode, even Clayman himself admitted that his actions are thoughtless for a so-called tactician/puppet-master. He didn't even take the good advices from his friends. Again, a truly good tactician never let his emotion & hubris get the better of him. So Clayman was never a good tactician in the first place.

I was right that Shion alone is able to manhandle Clayman until the point where he conveniently awakens. And we can finally say that Frey really has no interest in helping him whatsoever. So Frey & Carrion were never a factor in Clayman's forces during this Walpurgis anyway (pointing back to my debate with Frontier & Kanon in page 20 onwards).

All that aside, it's okay for Veldora to blatantly use such iconic moves from Street Fighter & DBZ, right? They're not copyrighted? Should they pay royalty? It reminds me of Jackie Chan's City Hunter film that went Street Fighter all of a sudden in the middle of the movie :
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2021-09-14, 11:35   Link #447
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Somehow Clayman is more stupid than I thought, you'd think somebody who had the title of demon lord would have any kind of strength to back it up, but not only is Clayman not a "true" demon lord, he's also weaker than most, if not all, of Rimuru's inner circle.

Might not be a fair comparison though, Shion and the others are ridiculously overpowered compared to any other majin we've seen, including the other clowns

But then again this is all according to the plan of the people behind clayman, but still, this plan is so stupid, if they really wanted to succeed they should've made somebody more competent, like laplace, inherit the role of demon lord.

As for the other stuff this episode, looks like Milim's father is the 3rd true dragon, and the 4th dragon is yet to be revealed. Also Veldora and Velzard have a demon lord niece Rimuru's also steadily getting more minions as Clayman's fingers abandon him

And yeah, the entire time Veldora's doing the kamekameha all I can think about was copyright issues
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 11:51   Link #448
mickbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

All that aside, it's okay for Veldora to blatantly use such iconic moves from Street Fighter & DBZ, right? They're not copyrighted? Should they pay royalty? It reminds me of Jackie Chan's City Hunter film that went Street Fighter all of a sudden in the middle of the movie :
YouTube
Yes, animator properly give credit in the ending credit
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 12:22   Link #449
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
See? After hitting rock-bottom in this episode, even Clayman himself admitted that his actions are thoughtless for a so-called tactician/puppet-master. He didn't even take the good advices from his friends. Again, a truly good tactician never let his emotion & hubris get the better of him. So Clayman was never a good tactician in the first place.

I was right that Shion alone is able to manhandle Clayman until the point where he conveniently awakens. And we can finally say that Frey really has no interest in helping him whatsoever. So Frey & Carrion were never a factor in Clayman's forces during this Walpurgis anyway (pointing back to my debate with Frontier & Kanon in page 20 onwards)
For what it's worth I still feel justified in my opinion with what information we had at the time .
Old 2021-09-14, 18:07   Link #450
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Rimuru asks Veldora to play with his niece (bit weird they never met), and he takes that literally and starts playing Street Fighter and Dragon Ball
And if they had to pay royalties every time they reference or parody another work, Gintama would have made Sunrise go bankrupt.

Milim was of course not controlled, but I'm still not sure what her goal even was. I also have a hard time believing she managed to endure all that abuse from Clayman. I thought all the Demon Lords had figured it out, but it was just Guy. And maybe Leon.

Shion effortlessly beating the crap out of Clayman was awesome.
Old 2021-09-14, 18:11   Link #451
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I wonder if Milim knows that Veldora is her uncle.
Old 2021-09-14, 18:24   Link #452
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Milim was of course not controlled, but I'm still not sure what her goal even was. I also have a hard time believing she managed to endure all that abuse from Clayman. I thought all the Demon Lords had figured it out, but it was just Guy. And maybe Leon.
It sounds like she was trying to help Frey take down Clayman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I mean, she had to have heard him when he mentioned it to Rimuru, right ?
Old 2021-09-14, 19:11   Link #453
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
It sounds like she was trying to help Frey take down Clayman.
Why? As shown, Clayman is so weak that Milim could have beaten the crap out of him at will. No need for the whole stupid plan.

And the way Rimuru kept brushing off any hint of what was actually going on just made it worse.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-14, 19:33   Link #454
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Why? As shown, Clayman is so weak that Milim could have beaten the crap out of him at will. No need for the whole stupid plan.

And the way Rimuru kept brushing off any hint of what was actually going on just made it worse.
I'm not sure of the exact why and how of it but I'm just assuming based off of the dialogue so far.

Rimuru really needs to listen to Raphael better .
Old 2021-09-14, 20:51   Link #455
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Didnt think that Clayman was that weak it feels like Shion didnt even break a sweat

Wondering is Veldora going to get sued for using those moves
Old 2021-09-14, 21:06   Link #456
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
And if they had to pay royalties every time they reference or parody another work, Gintama would have made Sunrise go bankrupt.
I don't know how Gintama get away with it. Even in mangas like, say, Hayate the Combat Buttler, some references need to be partly censored in order to go pass the editor to not create problems with copyrights. I remember the manga can freely name-drop Gundam titles & other anime but they had to censor some specific names or terms from shonen manganime with (***). For example: Sha***gan or G*mu-Gom* fruits. I guess different companies treat their works differently?
Old 2021-09-15, 01:25   Link #457
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I wonder how they (including Rimuru) feel about being outsmarted by Milim...

Also, where's Veldora in 3x3 Eyes? Is he at some cliffhanger, or at the end, and hasn't understood it's the last volume?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-15, 01:27   Link #458
X207
Gamyūsa

it would be interesting if Shion took on the strongest clown man, not clayman. she had no issues until he partially awakened.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-15, 04:09   Link #459
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wonder how they (including Rimuru) feel about being outsmarted by Milim...
I guess they were surprised that an airhead with almost no self-control like Milim can actually do all that, which would be the normal response. Her acting is much more convincing than all the BS spouted by Clayman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, where's Veldora in 3x3 Eyes? Is he at some cliffhanger, or at the end, and hasn't understood it's the last volume?
The one that Veldy held was Volume 39 of 3x3 Eyes. He still has one more volume to go to finish the story......ah, the nostalgia. I still have the manga tanks on my shelf. I miss Pai & Yakumo.

Images

All that said, if next episode is the last one for this season, I won't go back for the next season until I hear that there will be an actual threat for Rimuru's party. I'm tired of lame mustache-twirling villains who continually being sabotaged by plot convenience and Rimuru's OP-ness. Frankly, better villain is the only hope I have for this show since the politics is pretty shallow so far. World-building where the highest-demon lords can just punch each other in the face and the human leaders are generally below the MC intelligence & power-wise is not very intriguing for me (I hope Leon has more substance going on with him). And I guess I had enough of "Rimuru worship" in the main show (I don't mind following the Slime Diaries coz that one was 70% comedy).

Oh btw, the OP song sucks ass this season. I'm sure the band from my highschool could've made a better English song back in late 90s.
Old 2021-09-15, 05:37   Link #460
moridin84
Custom User Title

The idea that Milim was acting all this time is a bit absurd. I was spoiled about it in advance so I wasn't surprised or anything but it is unbelievable that Milim had this kind of acting ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I wonder if she would care all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Even if they beat him up they probably won't find out who the guy behind him is.

Although to be honest, it looks like they still won't find anything out. So it was all a waste of time.

Quote:
Well it's a joke.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote