AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-19, 11:32   Link #41
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I make male characters; don't think I've ever even considered a female one. No deeper reason behind it other than I can associate more with a male.

But to contradict that a bit, if there's an option of making my character look young or old, I always choose an old man look. My orc in WoW had a haggard face and a long grey beard. Same goes for Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online, and Guild Wars (though GW was a bit harder to make the guy look old). The idea of a badass veteran who may be beyond his physical peak but makes up for it with gritty intensity and experience just appeals to me, I guess.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 14:04   Link #42
JC...
I am a Pie

Sometimes I choose females because the males look butch/ugly/dumb or just don't seem as interesting.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 16:25   Link #43
Nihokon

I guess in the end this is simply a matter of preference.
Unless the game has dating sim element, which I will choose male for the most obvious reason, I don't care either way about my character's gender in games.
Old 2011-08-19, 16:35   Link #44
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
This may or may not apply to you but from what I read in most articles, most guy seen enjoy playing as girls because they seem have more freedom wtih their personalities. I myself admit that I find that I could create more personalities with girl characters than with guys as the stereotype surrounding guys is that they need to be stoic or emotionless badasses. I am not sure if this is the number one reason but what do you think of this phenomenon?
This seems to be an extremely strange question to ask on an anime forum. Why do so many guys like using anime girls as their avatars? Wouldn't the answer to this be similar to the answer to the OP?
Old 2011-08-19, 16:41   Link #45
Jaden

My characters are about 50/50, I play female characters for variety.
Old 2011-08-19, 16:47   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

On both occasions, it was for mainly for aesthetic reasons — the designs of male characters in both games were just too horrible for me to bear. The Western "ideal" of macho masculinity baffles me: I really have no idea why Western designers like to make male RPG heroes look like half-evolved gorillas overdosed on steroids.
This drives some of my character design decisions .... I tend to play elves when I have a male character (though they often shear too far to the 'bishie' side). In Camelot I played a sexless rock troll shaman thing named "Motrynn" so ymmv.

Quote:
Gender-role stereotypes inevitably colour my choices as well, making it hard for me to imagine a nice, pretty girl hoisting around a Fat Man mini-nuke launcher in Fallout 3, for example.
This... women/magic/mage just tend to flow together well. Women also make spritely rogues/assassins. Two-handed warriors? No, not so much outside of femme orcs. I have a necromancer in one game who is a "shy girl who makes dolls to talk to and protect her"... she just happens to frequent battlefields and graves to find parts...
OTOH, my primary in WoW for the Alliance side was a male dwarf (though I mostly played Horde).

Quote:
I'm also especially glad to have played a male character in Dragon Age: Origins — the ending would have been that much more complicated had my avatar been a woman.
My first run through with DA:Origins... played a female elf mage who ended up with non-king Alastair riding off into the "sunset of Warden doom". Second run-through was with a male rogue who went after every skirt in the game and also opted out of king (tosses crown to Alastair and runs for the tavern).
Old 2011-08-19, 17:49   Link #47
Elvin

This might be more polarized for anime fans. Consider the quality of men vs women we're exposed to.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 19:01   Link #48
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I guess I do know why I like playing as females when given the choice (even though I said "I dunno"). I do like to look at cute females when I play games. Maybe I just didn't want to admit to it at first.
Old 2011-08-19, 20:20   Link #49
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
We've done the boys proud, men. May I join your faction?
Sorry, we don't admit perverts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
....I've played a female main character only twice: as Rebecca Black (Tremere thaumaturge) in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.....
Can you make her sing "Friday" everytime she casts a spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have a necromancer in one game who is a "shy girl who makes dolls to talk to and protect her"... she just happens to frequent battlefields and graves to find parts...
I presume her name to be Alice Margatroid?

TBH, I have always played as female characters in online games, I never liked playing as male characters because it felt so.....gay.

Besides, don't you guys find it intriguing to control a loli in those anime-type MMORPGS?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 00:10   Link #50
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I almost always use guys in games. Unless the male character just suck or it's a fighting game in which it's better to watch a female character fight than a guy . Mostly play RPGs so easier to align myself in that kind of situation.
Old 2011-08-20, 02:11   Link #51
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My first run through with DA:Origins... played a female elf mage who ended up with non-king Alastair riding off into the "sunset of Warden doom". Second run-through was with a male rogue who went after every skirt in the game and also opted out of king (tosses crown to Alastair and runs for the tavern).
My first Warden was a female human paladin--er, arcane warrior/spirit healer mage. Put Alistair on the throne, Anora in the tower, and killed the archdemon while allowing Morrigan to perform the dark ritual with Alistair.

My most recent Warden was a female dwarf noble warrior and was absolutely my favorite playthrough of the game. Killed Loghain myself, got Alistair and Anora hitched and killed the archdemon after letting Morrigan perform the dark ritual with Alistair.

My current Hawke--replaying DA2 for the Legacy DLC--is a female snarky blood mage who has no interest in other mages, rival to the max with Fenris, rival with Merrill for calling her out on her retardity (yes, I totally made that up) and will likely side with the templars this time, mostly to become Viscount and because I fucking hate DA2!Anders.

I miss Awakening!Anders.
Old 2011-08-20, 02:33   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
My first Warden was a female human paladin--er, arcane warrior/spirit healer mage. Put Alistair on the throne, Anora in the tower, and killed the archdemon while allowing Morrigan to perform the dark ritual with Alistair.

My most recent Warden was a female dwarf noble warrior and was absolutely my favorite playthrough of the game. Killed Loghain myself, got Alistair and Anora hitched and killed the archdemon after letting Morrigan perform the dark ritual with Alistair.

My current Hawke--replaying DA2 for the Legacy DLC--is a female snarky blood mage who has no interest in other mages, rival to the max with Fenris, rival with Merrill for calling her out on her retardity (yes, I totally made that up) and will likely side with the templars this time, mostly to become Viscount and because I fucking hate DA2!Anders.

I miss Awakening!Anders.
Not to derail... but yeah the dwarf storyline starter is weirdly interesting following both male and female routes. Dwarven society is an honorbound mess
Old 2011-08-20, 02:40   Link #53
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
For me it's the aesthetics and nothing else. I might as well look good leveling up or something right?

Although I don't do this with fighting games, as I frequently learn that the combatant I like the most typically isn't the one I can use the best (And WHY?).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 07:57   Link #54
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can you make her sing "Friday" everytime she casts a spell?
Well... she was a girl with murderous thighs... 'Twas *ahem* erotic watching her feed on hapless humans while dressed in a black, slinky one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Besides, don't you guys find it intriguing to control a loli in those anime-type MMORPGS?
Nope. Never did. I have created my share of catgirl alternative characters, though. Hard to say no to such pretty little things.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 09:13   Link #55
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Wait.. There were female dwarves in DA:O? Lol don't remember that!

There is something cool/creepy about little female necromancers, loved my EQ dark elf necro for that reason (even though my main was a male half elf bard, best class ever).

I do notice that it seems many developers seem to spend more time on female models then male, that and they do emphasize traits which can and does lead to a reason why some guys play female characters. Sex sells right.
Old 2011-08-20, 09:24   Link #56
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Hmm... personally, for me, I seldom "main" a female character in any RPG. My first character is usually male and a grumpy old man, or have characteristics of grumpy old men. I used to lean towards Sorcery in my younger days, but nowadays I tend to find myself rolling more and more of a Warrior type.

The female characters I do roll, do not represent me. I treat them like some sort of foster daughter, with me as an unseen "Divine Guidance" as I lead her to glory and happiness. I always found it cute to deck them out in five tonnes of armour and go bash skulls and basically curb-stomp the bad guys. The ability to make them cute as they rip your face off is what endears me to them.

Cheers.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:47   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The female characters I do roll, do not represent me. I treat them like some sort of foster daughter, with me as an unseen "Divine Guidance" as I lead her to glory and happiness. I always found it cute to deck them out in five tonnes of armour and go bash skulls and basically curb-stomp the bad guys. The ability to make them cute as they rip your face off is what endears me to them.

Cheers.
The small girl with continent-melting powers is a popular meme
Old 2011-08-20, 12:42   Link #58
Vento

I'm a girl and I play as a girl xD
Vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 23:30   Link #59
xridz

i play char 50/50..depends on the sprite..if male sprite > female i choose male..if female > male..i play female
xridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 23:37   Link #60
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
RPGs I choose a female character.

Especially if it's third person. If I have to star at an arse for the better part of thirty hours it might as well be a girl's.

In strategy or fighting games I choose blokes because I like to picture that character actually as myself.

The only exception I can think off was my Metal Gear Online character. 'Panty Parade' in her jet black fatigues was a lean mean CQB ass kicking machine. Haha.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote