AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-29, 22:24   Link #581
taichi-kun

Because It wasn't clear if it was a joke ("hey look my bf is a pervert like manabe hehe we both have bad taste for men" ) or a serious thing("let's call the police")
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 22:43   Link #582
finalfury
Incognito

I understand the dislike for Kotoura's mom, but it's odd to see most of this dislike pinpointed on her or does the father no longer exist or something. Since he left the household first, he is technically the one who instigated the situation that tore the family apart, although Kotoura is arguably the trigger. All in all, a good ending to a sleeper hit this season. I would definitely like to see more female main leads in shounen series.
Old 2013-03-30, 01:51   Link #583
justsomeguy

Kotoura review:
* The sheer suffering in the first ten minutes was a work of art. We were well on the way to a mass murderer anime until the screen cracked and color appeared in the world. Speaking of that, there is a lot of mood whiplash in this show; it's pretty hard to believe the light-hearted perverse comedy parts are in the same show as the relentless, shameless bullying that goes on, and the transition is often abrupt.
* Character development is great compared to the other shows this season.
* The mystery arc was not so good. It was too damn obvious that the female detective was the culprit, and while the show tried to convey that Kotoura would have become like her had it not been for her friends, that fell flat because Tsukino just seemed so much more shallow than what Kotoura went through, nevermind the split personalities device.
* Painful: Kotoura's singing. Can't recall any other anime character that fails their own theme song!
* The ending wrapped things up so cleanly, resolving all the plot hooks, which unfortunately leaves no room for a sequel.

Final Score: 8/10. This turned out to be the best 1-cour series of the season.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 08:29   Link #584
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My problem with Kotoura's character is how quickly she forgives everyone around her. Even her years of pent-up anger with her mother dissolves in a pillow fight. I can understand her yearning to have a mother she can snuggle up to, and I suppose I can understand her feeling that she is still her mother's child. Still it bothered me that Kotoura did nothing but apologize and forgive from pretty much the outset.

As adults it's not hard to see why her mother's "I wish I never brought you into the world" outburst was not the sum total of her feelings for Haruka. But she did say that and did not apologize for saying it at any time in this episode. Also I wonder if the mother really understands what Haruka's power is. Over dinner she speaks about how Haruka "reads expressions." Is that what she thinks is the source of her daughter's surprising insights into other people's lives? How did Haruka explain her recognition of the boyfriend's unhealthy interest in adolescent girls? That she just "sensed" it from the way he acted when they met?

This was certainly the best episode in quite a while, though. Too bad the series never really lived up to the expectations it created in the opening episode.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 10:34   Link #585
Dragoshi1
We need to upset people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My problem with Kotoura's character is how quickly she forgives everyone around her. Even her years of pent-up anger with her mother dissolves in a pillow fight. I can understand her yearning to have a mother she can snuggle up to, and I suppose I can understand her feeling that she is still her mother's child. Still it bothered me that Kotoura did nothing but apologize and forgive from pretty much the outset.

As adults it's not hard to see why her mother's "I wish I never brought you into the world" outburst was not the sum total of her feelings for Haruka. But she did say that and did not apologize for saying it at any time in this episode. Also I wonder if the mother really understands what Haruka's power is. Over dinner she speaks about how Haruka "reads expressions." Is that what she thinks is the source of her daughter's surprising insights into other people's lives? How did Haruka explain her recognition of the boyfriend's unhealthy interest in adolescent girls? That she just "sensed" it from the way he acted when they met?

This was certainly the best episode in quite a while, though. Too bad the series never really lived up to the expectations it created in the opening episode.
I bolded what I'm gonna reply to.

I think Kotoura's mom secretly wanted young Kotoura to read her mind and realize how badly it was hurting her.

Kotoura only reads the "outside" of a person's mind, which comes into play with the two-faced detective.

Kotoura never realized she was in any danger, because she, as her mom put it, only "reads expressions", or just tapping into a person's mind, not diving in. If kotoura dove deeper into reading the detective's mind, she would have seen that violent second personality from the beginning, instead of when she first passed out seeing that evil persona that was currently "on the outside".

When her mom is drunk/asleep, those deep inner feelings surface, which is how Kotoura finally realized that she can go deeper into her mind reading.
Dragoshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 10:40   Link #586
Haiprbim
Banned

I have just completed watching the series and I must say that I'm really glad I watched them.
The story itself was quite light but strong and some certain scenes, making it actually a pretty good whole.
Overall, I would give it a 10/10, as I give to all the series that truly hit me in that way. :D
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 10:45   Link #587
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's no evidence in the early episodes that either of her parents ever understood her power, nor is there any reason to think that they would. Mind reading is, after all, not a real ability that humans possess. So I think it is quite possible that her mother still has no idea what Kotoura's actual power is. I think the grandfather may understand what is up with Haruka, and may have told his daughter about it, though I suspect the two of them hardly speak except where circumstances require it like meeting in the restaurant.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 13:57   Link #588
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
My problem with Kotoura's character is how quickly she forgives everyone around her.... This was certainly the best episode in quite a while, though. Too bad the series never really lived up to the expectations it created in the opening episode.
I really, really liked the "problem" you refer to. What we lack most in society is forgiveness. We need to get away from the idea that forgiveness is either wrong or impossible.

However, I more or less agree with your general assessment. Great start and good finish, with decent entertainment in between, is how I would judge this series.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 18:00   Link #589
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
heehee, "cop" out

Uh, anyway... why is it a cop-out? The explanation makes sense to me.
Because she should have sensed the bad thoughts when the evil personnality took over.
As a general rule, the entire premice of the show is that her mind-reading abilities have ruined her life by making her constantly read the mind of people around her. If it was something she should be actively trying to do, then there would have been no problem - so, and the first episodes clearly shows it, it's an "always-on" power and that is the problem.

But since the end of the first arc, it's barely active at all, and she constantly to be SAID things to know them, and she doesn't perceive what she should. It just makes the show very inconsistent.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 18:57   Link #590
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Images
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-30, 19:16   Link #591
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
It really depends on how much Japan used the German BGB as example for their own civil law(yes they did that);
Since German and Austrian law are similar I assume that Japanese and Austrian law have to be somewhat similar too. So no guarantee for this being right:
Actually German law and Japanese law are likely to be similar. Both have the same source in that both countries adopted Napoleonic Law. German during Napoleon's conquest, and Japan decades later when Japan was modernizing.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 23:24   Link #592
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

It finally ended. It was good especially the ending which serves as a book end. Now, Kotoura is no longer lonely.
Old 2013-04-02, 00:50   Link #593
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I can't decide whether Daiki is actually oblivious to Yuriko's feelings, or if he's aware but is actually trolling her.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 09:41   Link #594
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I can't decide whether Daiki is actually oblivious to Yuriko's feelings, or if he's aware but is actually trolling her.
Spoiler:
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 09:46   Link #595
sikvod00

I don't think he's trolling. That... would actually be pretty messed up.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 09:53   Link #596
ranchan13

I'm pretty sure he is trolling her. He's one of the smarter characters in the series, and he's consistent about letting her think she's getting through, only to squash her hopes like a boss.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 21:31   Link #597
chaos_animagic

Pretty good series, light hearted at times, crazy emo at others...

Personally I rate this 8/10

just cause episode 1 scared me when I watched it and the crazy EMO that emerges from time to time.
However the male MC was awesome for the entire series.
+ the ^ comment for "Mom" and how easily years of anger was suddenly gone. (tho I do understand somewhat after the mind reading)

Also, for the father or mother (which having greater fault)...
It's pretty equal.
Both of them were having affair at the exact same times.
But the one that actually chose to do action was the father (this makes him seen a bit better than mother)
Rather than continuing to have affair AND living with the mother and fights every single day (which can than involve the child and at times the child gets hurt physically AND emotionally that causes Trama - shown in RL before)

So... basically the father did both the mother AND daughter good instead of hurting them further.

O yea, I LOL'd at the dude the mom was dating when they met Kotora ( "hehe, high schooler spoted" ) - not really Lolicon tho (usually) *giggles*

And the mom looks way better without the "dead eyes"...

Daiki... this dude makes me feel weird.
He's so tiny yet got a hawt girl after him.
All the while he's playing the "hard to get" game with her, LOL.

PS: I seen to notice a certain "Jar" with a smiley face in their club room that's also featured in Ah My Goddess
Spoiler for jar:

I am gonna attempt to think Dirty things all the times when I go out and peeks around to see if anyone shows weird emotion on their face, LOL (maybe I can find an ESP that way)

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2013-04-02 at 21:49.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 22:24   Link #598
Theo

Kotoura finally standing up for herself instead of calling for help was worth the mid-season bullshit and the detective arc. So tired of this martyr nonsense and finally she gets some character development almost on par with Moritani. It was a minor payoff, but a payoff nonetheless.

Mediocre series, with some gem episodes. It's like the premise for a coming of age story with ESP except the "comedy" drags it down.

ESP is kind of just window dressing in the end.

Maybe in the future (manga?):

-A slow rebuilding of the mom's relationship along with them looking out for each other in subtle ways, like that pedo guy she warned her about. Hey, maybe they could bond on romance failures more.

-Kotoura acknowledging her naive flaws and more standing up for herself as seen in Ep 12.

-Possibly more on the themes espoused about ESP revealing

-WAAAAY more development needed for Manabe. He's a walking cardboard cutout who does nothing but lust and be the absurdly timed hero. Wake me when he gets character development on par with Moritani.

Last edited by Theo; 2013-04-02 at 22:42.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 13:49   Link #599
ginger02

Currently on episode 9. No clue who the criminal is, but it was my fave episode so far. Episode 9's seem to be really good this season. The music at the beginning really set up the whole thing well and worked well with the dialogue.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 18:18   Link #600
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

starting the series with a bang! that first 10-minute was heart-breaking

first 5 episodes are enjoyable and truly showed this series got lots of potential
then suddenly it's filled with lots of slice of life's scenes that actually very boring for me
after that, the series turned into a criminal and detective stuffs... (I can't say I enjoy this or not)
and closed with a randomness (Kotoura's mother's suddenly having an attitude change, etc)

one of my most enjoyable part maybe the interaction between Daiki and Ryoko
I care less about Manabe or Moritani....
but this anime is succeed in exploring and developing Kotoura's personality and life just like what the title is

8/10....
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy