AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-21, 14:48   Link #17381
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

This has started pumping my fic-writing juices... while I doubt the Scrya clan kicks out their kids to fend for themselves, could they have a tradition similar to the Quarian pilgrimage?

For those unfamiliar, Quarians are a race from Mass Effect that lives on a giant fleet of ships roaming space. Each Quarian, when they begin to reach adulthood, leaves their birth ship and sets out on a pilgrimage. They roam the galaxy in search of anything of value, which will proof that they won't be a burden on the fleet. Supplies of food and medicine, technology or even information that can make life for the fleet better. This is then presented to the captain of the ship they want to join. If the gift is accepted, the Quarian then becomes an invaluable member of the crew.

Now, obviously the Scrya clan would be different, but what if they had a sort of pilgrimage of their own? A sort of... rite of passage, where a group of young Scryas would go off in search of something valuable to bring back to the clan as a sign of adulthood?

Completely non-canon, but it'd make a more gentle replacement for the current 'kick-out scenario' wouldn't it?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 14:48   Link #17382
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya View Post
And when Lindy said that it would take 6 months to get back to Mid-Childa at the end of the first season, Yuuno was quite alright with it and mentioned that he wouldn't see his clan anyway, even if he could get back.
Er, that's not quite correct. He said all his clan does is dig anyway, so there was no need to hurry back. He didn't say anything about not meeting anyone even if he did go back.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 14:52   Link #17383
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
In my defense...

Yuuno was digging around by himself at age 9...
Not really alone, he had a group of fellow archaeologists with him at least. In episode 2 he was surrounded by at least 6 fellow Scrya's when he found the seeds, all of whom seem to be around his age, perhaps a few years older.
Old 2009-10-21, 14:54   Link #17384
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Er, that's not quite correct. He said all his clan does is dig anyway, so there was no need to hurry back. He didn't say anything about not meeting anyone even if he did go back.
Ah. Okay. I thought he said that he wouldn't meet anyone there.

And, Kero... Hmm... *Looks over the thread* ... *nods* RB and I can work this.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 14:55   Link #17385
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This has started pumping my fic-writing juices...
DO IT. I highly support this idea.
Old 2009-10-21, 15:01   Link #17386
Jimmy C

Quote:
For those unfamiliar, Quarians are a race from Mass Effect that lives on a giant fleet of ships roaming space. Each Quarian, when they begin to reach adulthood, leaves their birth ship and sets out on a pilgrimage. They roam the galaxy in search of anything of value, which will proof that they won't be a burden on the fleet. Supplies of food and medicine, technology or even information that can make life for the fleet better. This is then presented to the captain of the ship they want to join. If the gift is accepted, the Quarian then becomes an invaluable member of the crew.
Note that in your example, the member of the race eventually returns to it. At which point, cultural indoctrination resumes. The way Nanya wrote it, Scrya kids that are kicked out aren't expected to return. Reread the line where he says, "we weren't expected to come home." In such a case, it's hard to see how the clan can maintain its identity across generations.
If anything, the elders in Yuuno's clan (there's always elders or other leader figures in anything that considers itself a clan) would be asking why hasn't he brought his family over to visit after the birth of the kids?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 15:04   Link #17387
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yes, and that's one of the changes I'm suggesting. Rather than never being expected to come home, a pilgrimage that takes them away for an unknown time.
Old 2009-10-21, 15:31   Link #17388
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

*looks at all posts*

Wow...I just got back from an Archaeology lecture and I find out that my conversation with Satashi about reviews turned into a 'Yuuno-being-abandoned' conservation. I should have brought my laptop with me....

Also, I WISH I could have started Archaeology when I was nine. Yuuno being an Archaeologist made him my favorite character when I started 'Nanoha'.

Now it's Fate...

Sorry Yuuno-kun...

EDIT: My Archaeologist side of me would have created an entire page about the whole problem with Yuuno not expected to return to the clan. But since this an anime, I'm not going to go into that...have fun!

My Story:
Animal Instincts

Thank you RadientBeam and Spawnofthejungle for pointing out a problem in my fic. Part 1 of 4 from ch. 2 is fixed. XD

Animal Instincts: Preface
Animal Instincts: Chapter 1: The Girl from the City
Animal Instincts: Part 1 of 4 (1/4) from Chapter 2

Last edited by Alavon; 2009-10-24 at 15:37.
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 16:11   Link #17389
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
My Archaeologist side of me would have created an entire page about the whole problem with Yuuno not expected to return to the clan. But since this an anime, I'm not going to go into that...have fun!
Even if you can't return to the clan physically doesn't mean your membership of said clan is void. Yuuno will always be a Scrya no matter where he is.

The only context I think "not expected to return" would apply to is that there's a high chance of him being killed in a cave in or accidentally releasing some ancient wise crackin' evil *coughshamelessselfreferencecough* or something. His occupation certainly has a high risk factor, so if he suffered an injury or died on the job, it'd be taken more as "That's what it means to be a Scyra."

Side note, but despite popular belief, Yuuno isn't that high on my list of favourites. I do like the guy, but my favourite male character is Vice. Even Jail is higher on the list. Incidentally, Hayate is my favourite female.
Old 2009-10-21, 16:22   Link #17390
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nanoha used to be on the top of my list, but now there are a lot of characters which, to me, are a lot more interesting than Nanoha. Our little holy empress of Belka stands at the top, followed by Hayate. The third place is a constant battle, and shifts almost constantly. Cinque, Nove, Ix and Stratos are the main contestants right now.
Old 2009-10-21, 16:23   Link #17391
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Side note, but despite popular belief, Yuuno isn't that high on my list of favourites. I do like the guy, but my favourite male character is Vice. Even Jail is higher on the list. Incidentally, Hayate is my favourite female.
Vice needs more love and Jail so far is my favorite villian.
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 16:44   Link #17392
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
@keroko: Maybe scrya clan members are expected to not just bring something back from their little trip, but just go out and experiance life for themselves. Yuuno took it upon himself to track the seeds down, by himself. But why does he have raiding Heart? Maybe he's already completed some sort of journey and retireved RH as a gift or found it?

So going to earth would be his second trip.

..oh the fic ideas!

Nanoha: *is blown back from a large magical blast along with Yuuno* Ugh... What the heck, why does he know you?

Yuuno: *looking at the man walking to them, a mirror image of RAising Heart in his hands, only colored silver instead of gold.* Remember when we met? I gave you Raising Heart?

NAnoha: *grips her device and puts up ashield to block the next attack* ...yes?

Yuuno:...She has a sister...
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 16:47   Link #17393
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
@keroko: Maybe scrya clan members are expected to not just bring something back from their little trip, but just go out and experiance life for themselves. Yuuno took it upon himself to track the seeds down, by himself. But why does he have raiding Heart? Maybe he's already completed some sort of journey and retireved RH as a gift or found it?

So going to earth would be his second trip.

..oh the fic ideas!

Nanoha: *is blown back from a large magical blast along with Yuuno* Ugh... What the heck, why does he know you?

Yuuno: *looking at the man walking to them, a mirror image of RAising Heart in his hands, only colored silver instead of gold.* Remember when we met? I gave you Raising Heart?

NAnoha: *grips her device and puts up ashield to block the next attack* ...yes?

Yuuno:...She has a sister...
Nanoha: ... COULDN'T YOU HAVE TOLD ME THAT SOONER?!

Yuuno: You never asked!
Old 2009-10-21, 16:57   Link #17394
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Nanoha used to be on the top of my list, but now there are a lot of characters which, to me, are a lot more interesting than Nanoha. Our little holy empress of Belka stands at the top, followed by Hayate. The third place is a constant battle, and shifts almost constantly. Cinque, Nove, Ix and Stratos are the main contestants right now.
For season 1, I liked Miyuki and Arf the best. None of the loli characters appealed to me (odd, considering I openly admit to being a lolicon). I did like Nanoha more than Fate though. Also kinda odd, seeing as how Fate is the fan favourite.

When I watched A's, Hayate quickly dominated, and I thought Signum was really cool.

I was a bit late to the Nanoha party. I watched the first two seasons in one sitting before StrikerS started airing. As such I'm far more attached to StrikerS, the season I spent months following. Subaru quickly climbed the ranks. She's a far more interesting character than StrikerS Nanoha was at first. After her story arc, Teana shot pretty high up the list too. Nanoha continued being a pretty uninteresting character until Vivio came into the picture. StrikerS finally did make me fall for Fate, too. I do like them more as adults (odd for previously stated reason), and Fate's motherly nature towards Erio and Caro and seeing her figure in her training gear really made me take notice.

So yeah, I'm very attached to StrikerS, even if its the season most hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
Vice needs more love and Jail so far is my favorite villian.
Yes, he does. That's why I wrote that 11 chapter love confession to him Writing that one was quite nice, as it let me use other StrikerS era characters that I normally don't get the chance too. Plus, like I said before, Teana/Vice is my #1 ship

Jail was one of those magnificant bastard villains that was so delightfully crazy you can't help but wear a stupid grin every time he's on screen. Especially with that voice.

Orange is the colour of his loyalty!
Old 2009-10-21, 17:09   Link #17395
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Apparently the NanoFate.Net boards want to lynch me at times over our Day in the Life story, RB.
It's nanofate.us ^^

We lost our old domain due to certain circumstances so we moved, I thought that with this we were going to lose a lot of visitors, but the site is getting more attention than expected. Too bad we don't have much new content =/

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 17:21   Link #17396
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
It's nanofate.us ^^

We lost our old domain due to certain circumstances so we moved, I thought that with this we were going to lose a lot of visitors, but the site is getting more attention than expected. Too bad we don't have much new content =/

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
post amber dreams there, it was written for the site anyway
Old 2009-10-21, 17:45   Link #17397
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
*reads backlog*

why do you guys talk so much when I'm in school...

I wanna lynch mob D: D: D: *is sooooo jealous*

Fine I'll be edgy!

Spoiler for YUUNOHA LUUUUURVE:

... do you hate me yet? ;-; I just wanna fit in.

Spoiler for The truth:
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 17:52   Link #17398
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
I talk while I'm at school. I'm in class right now (my prof's examples go on too long).

Quote:

Spoiler for The truth:
Pfffffft. I said I'm in class, damn it! That's awesome.

I know you're just pandering to me... and I love it!
Old 2009-10-21, 18:30   Link #17399
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
*reads backlog*

I wanna lynch mob D: D: D: *is sooooo jealous*

Fine I'll be edgy!

Spoiler for The truth:
*supports Shiny fully*
Spoiler for *hands shiny a script*:

That's right, my loyal haters! you can now hate shiny as well!
Old 2009-10-21, 18:37   Link #17400
Nijiru

Probably a good thing people arn't in my class yet, as I'd be getting looks because of my laughter.
Nijiru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha