AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-02-08, 01:12   Link #41
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
All I got is a dollar to t spent in a internet cafe to experience it all.... Is that wrong?!
Sigh, well, the obvious solution is to get a job.

The only way I understand piracy is from youngsters who are still dependent on their parents and have no way of paying for original media, specially with today's prices, but still want to enjoy it. When you start getting your own money it becomes really, really morally questionable and difficult to defend.

Personally I'm against the way intellectual property works right now as I mentioned earlier (specially in the drug industry with patents, but that's another matter), but I do believe creators should be rewarded for their efforts for this further fuels the content creation market. I do think that the media industry should work to provide a service and a product that is easily available for everyone, however piracy is not, and will never be a solution intelligent people should actually support other than as a political weapon.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:26   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The entertainers... or rather their slave lords, have forgotten that for almost all of human history, there was a patron class and a peanut gallery. The peasants got the entertainment for free as part of 'bread and circus', the patron class supported the artists ... because it lessened the odds of a revolt.
Old 2012-02-08, 01:36   Link #43
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder....will there come a time for internet privateers...as oppose to pirates?
Hmmm.

*Intellectual property copyrighted by Ascaloth Media Inc.*

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:37   Link #44
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Sigh, well, the obvious solution is to get a job.

The only way I understand piracy is from youngsters who are still dependent on their parents and have no way of paying for original media, specially with today's prices, but still want to enjoy it. When you start getting your own money it becomes really, really morally questionable and difficult to defend.
AND.... What if that the media in question is available through the net? And with only a dollar account.

Because here in our country, unless you are a dollar earner you can't open a dollar account.

But screw dollars. I want to open a yen account and I can't because I have to be earning yen. And I don't, even while I work for a Japanese company.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:47   Link #45
Same_Shark

Okay, so tonight my friend was downloading The Sims and her internet was disconnected, stating the reason being for her illegal downloading.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 01:52   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
Okay, so tonight my friend was downloading The Sims and her internet was disconnected, stating the reason being for her illegal downloading.
And.... so.... ?
(sigh)
1) Was she DLing the Sims illegally?
2) How many other things has she downloaded in the past few months? Did the disconnection give a specific instance?
3) Who is the ISP? Is she in the US or where?

Not sure what this has to do with discussion of the proposed or existing laws, though....
Old 2012-02-08, 01:57   Link #47
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And.... so.... ?
(sigh)
1) Was she DLing the Sims illegally?
2) How many other things has she downloaded in the past few months? Did the disconnection give a specific instance?
3) Who is the ISP? Is she in the US or where?

Not sure what this has to do with discussion of the proposed or existing laws, though....
Yeah. She's in the US and yeah she was downloading illegally. I personally feel she got what she deserved. Teaches her that she should start paying for some of the things she wants.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 04:09   Link #48
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Yeah. She's in the US and yeah she was downloading illegally. I personally feel she got what she deserved. Teaches her that she should start paying for some of the things she wants.
Bah. Still she does deserve it. People should use applications that masks IP addresses. Or a proxy. Or both, when downloading.

I feel lucky to be born somewhere not in the U.S.
Old 2012-02-08, 05:45   Link #49
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Bah. Still she does deserve it. People should use applications that masks IP addresses. Or a proxy. Or both, when downloading.

I feel lucky to be born somewhere not in the U.S.
The problem is that when you are torrenting, you need an IP address because that is your seed tracker. The IP monitoring companies are tracking your IP through that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We had a lot of youngsters in the late 80s early 90s that managed to figure out arcane computer systems and internet protocols and clients... I guess we may see if the young people are still as clever.
Not anymore. They are being marginalised as antisocial so they can't spend their time figuring out all that arcane stuff - it hurts their future. Their are forced to make the false choice between self-knowledge and their future as a corporate slave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
The site is blocked from Singapore with a 404.

Here is the article for everyone else who is similarly blocked :

Spoiler for Long:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-02-08 at 06:09.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 07:59   Link #50
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
All it teaches her is to not get caught. It's rare that you can actually teach someone anything via punishment other than to try harder not to get caught.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 09:59   Link #51
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 11:47   Link #52
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
So you're saying that she deserves to have been punished... but the reason isn't because she was doing something illegal, and instead because she wasn't covering her tracks well enough?
Old 2012-02-08, 12:20   Link #53
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
So you're saying that she deserves to have been punished... but the reason isn't because she was doing something illegal, and instead because she wasn't covering her tracks well enough?
That's what punishment is. Its a negative consequence for getting caught. If you don't try to avoid getting caught, you deserve a punishment. Makes perfect sense.
Old 2012-02-08, 17:48   Link #54
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I'm pretty, pretty sure that's not our forefathers through of it.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 19:06   Link #55
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
That's what punishment is. Its a negative consequence for getting caught. If you don't try to avoid getting caught, you deserve a punishment. Makes perfect sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm pretty, pretty sure that's not our forefathers through of it.
But our forefathers are dead, who is to say what they were thinking when they meet in the dead of the night planning a revolt.

Forefather A: "Remember boys: Don't get caught..."
Grandpa: "Yes Sir!"

Me: (0_o'')
Old 2012-02-08, 20:38   Link #56
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Wait, isn't that the case?

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 20:48   Link #57
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Wait, isn't that the case?

Well, from a very... um, how should I phrase this... "direct way of thinking," it's true. But it seems to overlook things like morals and ethics, as well as the reason why the punishment exists in the first place.
Old 2012-02-08, 21:57   Link #58
Random32
Also a Lolicon

To nudge this thread back to somewhat on topic

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...sopapipa.shtml

*facepalm*
Old 2012-02-08, 22:04   Link #59
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post