AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-07, 17:56   Link #1
JBoogie

Favorite shonen and why?

So I've been really thinking about what separates the good shonen from the bad ones. So I was just wondering...what is your favorite shonen and what makes it good? What separates it from the pack and makes it original?

And a side question...would you rather watch a long-running shonen or a short, concise anime (around 26 to 50 episodes)?
Old 2012-04-07, 19:10   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As long as everyone realizes that "shounen" includes Toradora!, Ikoku Meiro no Kurowāze, Azumanga Daioh, and a huge range of other productions in addition to items like "One Piece" ... "good" vs "bad" may be quite a task

Quite a lot of shounen runs 12/24 episodes...... I decided it was irrelevant what label (shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei, etc) that an anime or manga was published under because it really didn't say much about the content.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:13   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd say my favorite is probably Hikaru no Go. I found it compelling from start to finish and liked the way the characters matured as the show unfolded. I also liked the fact that the adults in the story, like Touya-meijin, were well-developed characters on their own.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 19:26   Link #4
Yuna Amakura

Yuu Yuu Hakusho.
Because the Brazilian dub was just pure gold.
Yuna Amakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 19:32   Link #5
Kirarakim

My favorite shounen manga is definitely Fullmetal Alchemist because well it's my favorite manga.

But I have to admit it's hard to choose a favorite shounen in general because shounen is just a target demographic.

If you are taking action series I love things like One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin.

If you are talking sports than I love the above mentioned Hikaru no Go but also Cross Game is dear to my heart.

If you are talking comedy I love Ranma 1/2

And these are just the series I think people would automatically know are shounen. As Vexx pointed out there are loads of others that people might not even think of as shounen but are.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:36   Link #6
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Fullmetal Alchemist and Hiro Mashima's work (Fairy Tail and Rave). The integration of comedy and action is commendable and entertaining IMHO.

If I have one complaint about shounen mangas, it's the typical shounen power-ups. I guess it can't be helped if you want the hero to stay alive but at some point, it's getting redundant.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 20:55   Link #7
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Hmmm I'd say my favorites (that are longer than 24/26 eps) would be Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood of course, Rurouni Kenshin, and Soul Eater. I'm a very big "character" fan....and I like the entire main cast of these shows quite a bit. FMA was pretty phenomenal in everything it did though...so I place it at the top.

My favorite "short" shounen series is Chrono Crusade, definitely.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-04-07 at 22:42.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 21:13   Link #8
Eragon
Still Alive

My favorite shouen show is, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. There's only one currently ongoing shounen title that I like and that's Fairy Tail. I'm currently watching Rurouni Kenshin so my list will probably increase to.....three
Old 2012-04-07, 21:34   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

What is a shounen anime?

-the stereotypical shounen?
-adapted from a shounen manga source?
-aired at an evening time slot and feels aimed towards guys?
-is in a franchise that consists of at least one shounen work?
-combinations of the above?

I don't watch enough stereotypical shounen to really have an idea of what to call my favorite. If I were to choose Full Metal Panic Fumofu and The Second Raid were awesome, though the original had crappy animation compared to the KyoAni sequels which was a somewhat expected disappointment.

For adapted from a shounen manga, I would say Lucky☆Star and Haruhi.

For evening timeslot, I like Neon Genesis Evangelion. There is probably something I like better in the evening timeslot, but my knowledge of anime timeslots is limited to knowing the majority of what I watch airs around midnight.

If I could choose from anything that has a shounen work in it, my vote goes to CLANNAD.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 22:42   Link #10
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post

If I could choose from anything that has a shounen work in it, my vote goes to CLANNAD.
Isn't CLANNAD seinen?
Old 2012-04-07, 23:01   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Isn't CLANNAD seinen?
Depends on which adaptation you think of.... the manga was produced by a shounen house but other works and manga spin-offs have been put out by seinen publishers...

And that's why it isn't really terribly useful at times to try and categorize works by their publishing house's self-identity.
Old 2012-04-07, 23:07   Link #12
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Isn't CLANNAD seinen?
It all depends on what you count as shounen. CLANNAD has had several manga adaptations, one of them being a shounen. I would personally categorize it as seinen since its a VN adaptation, but you can very well say its shounen depending on how strict or lose your make your requirements.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 04:44   Link #13
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

My favorites are Hunter X Hunter and Qwaser of Stigmata : the first, a mainstream one, possesses a refreshing storyline and a diverse cast, whereas the second is a dark one with mature content and has a harem lead who is different to other ones. Personally, I'm a huge fan of shounen because it involves fantasy, relationships and a somewhat deep meaning in certain titles.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 05:15   Link #14
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

FMA and Negima. They're just both great in storyline and characters.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 03:29   Link #15
hao-sama

Send a message via MSN to hao-sama Send a message via Yahoo to hao-sama
One Piece and Toaru Majutsu no Index .

as long as it has great world building (power systems, setting, etc) and plot, i don't care about art, length, or how many characters there are. i'll end up memorizing them since i always do so if i get hooked on an anime/manga/light novel/game.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:51   Link #16
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Dragon Ball. Unlike its offspring, it didn't take itself seriously, and did not pretend to be able to pull off any kind of intricate plotting or high drama, and so, I found it to be a very fun and enjoyable read. (The animated adaptation... had problems.)
Old 2012-04-10, 08:25   Link #17
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Fist of the North Star, no contest. The entire series looks like it's going to be about Kenshiro fighting his way through countless enemies to fight the man who abducted his fiance but it turns out that it's only the first arc. I especially didn't know how the story was supposed to continue for another odd 75 or so episodes considering how the first arc ended.

It turns out the finale of the first arc serves its purpose in developing a later character who would end up being our means of introduction to the main story.

What a story it turned out to be.

You're not going to find anything that isn't in other action shonen but what separates this series from most of its kin is the respect it holds it holds for its audience and characters. So very often people think Fist of the North Star is nothing but mind-blowing action (pun intended) yet it's also about learning to cherish and protect what you believe in and whom you love; death in this series is permanent and forces each of the characters to do take on that mindset. Heck, the main theme for Fist of the North Star translates to "Bring back Love" and the unexpectedly tender messages conveyed by heavily muscled men is another strength of the show.

Does Fist of the North Star show its age a lot? Certainly. Does that mean it's outdated? Hardly. Outdated implies a work that is only strong for its time and the thing about this anime is that it's very honest in regards to the themes it portrays; idealism reflects what your audience wants to see but realism reflects what the audience inevitably faces.

If you have the dedication to go through 100 or so episodes, Fist of the North Star will not disappoint.
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2012-04-10 at 08:36.
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 11:56   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rurouni Kenshin. Best MC ever, amazing supporting cast, and a perfect combination of GAR, humor and pathos.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 12:25   Link #19
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Detective Conan, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

and Death Note, if you count it as Shonen.

Bleach ain't so bad either
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 16:49   Link #20
kitten320

If talk about action then its 100% FMA. Series have an interetsung and well though out story with some twists. A huge amount of great characters that actually develop. There are no random power ups with over 9000. Ed is also a very likable MC, he has problems that he has to over come yet he is not pathetic. He is strong yet not mega strong and still loses from time to time. He thinks, his fights involve strategies.

That's the best shounen out there.

Though there are few more that stand out for me among others. Will list them later.