AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 59 37.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 32.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 16.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 8.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 11:12   Link #61
Fran~
floating away...

arigato
Old 2009-04-24, 11:17   Link #62
aorta

The cups and saucers used in the club room were Hermes. They cost $140 each.

Also I noticed what looked like a Häagen-Dazs container in Yui's room.
Old 2009-04-24, 11:29   Link #63
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I have yet to find out what makes Mio stand out so much to some people, even in terms of basic moeness. Maybe I'll catch on later though.....unless it's just another one of those popular trends where a few people say a character is awesome and then everybody starts agreeing and it just snowballs from there until it's the expected reaction/opinion.
Well, she's got this surface shy girl vibe overlaying a submerged Tsundere vibe. (The tsurime is probably a visual signal of this, and combined with the Hime cut is probably a major part of her visual appeal).

So it combines that "oh she's so cute and helpless, I need to protect her" with "she's so strong willed and determined- she's cool".

Thus allowing the character to avoid both the main complaint about shy girls ("she's so wimpy- stand up for yourself girl") and the main complaint about Tsunderes ("she's such a b--ch").

However, we'll see if they can keep it up, as I figure keeping those two vibes in resonance will be difficult.

Behavioral dissonance might set in, probably resulting in complaints that Mio is out of character in some episode. I foresee heated debate on the subject.

Last edited by Sackett; 2009-04-24 at 11:42.
Old 2009-04-24, 11:30   Link #64
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Why is Mio so scared of barnacles, of all things?
Remember Mio hates talk of all things gruesome and painful? Her overexcessive mind went straight to the predicament of falling and ending up scraping your knees on the barnacles growing on otherwise smooth shoreline water-eroded rock.

And then Ritsu had to rub it in by quoting an urban legend where if you actually do so, you'll end up having barnacles under the skin of your knees. Not a thought Mio can handle, obviously.
Old 2009-04-24, 11:44   Link #65
Fran~
floating away...

Ritsu is so damn funny...
Old 2009-04-24, 12:09   Link #66
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
The cups and saucers used in the club room were Hermes. They cost $140 each.

Also I noticed what looked like a Häagen-Dazs container in Yui's room.
and the car in front of Mio's house looks like a Fiat Panda (near the end of the episode)

http://fiat.modeles.free.fr/Web_albu...fiat_panda.jpg

That's a very cheap family car, it went out of production many years ago.

Anyway Mio's moeness is really over the scale, i like her the most on T-shirt and Jeans. Yui's performance with firework background was also the best scene in the anime so far, i could really feel the happiness. As for Mugi i never really liked her that much but this time i found her very cute when she was sleeping, also imho she won the bikini contest.

Old 2009-04-24, 12:30   Link #67
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Well, she's got this surface shy girl vibe overlaying a submerged Tsundere vibe. (The tsurime is probably a visual signal of this, and combined with the Hime cut is probably a major part of her visual appeal).

So it combines that "oh she's so cute and helpless, I need to protect her" with "she's so strong willed and determined- she's cool".

Thus allowing the character to avoid both the main complaint about shy girls ("she's so wimpy- stand up for yourself girl") and the main complaint about Tsunderes ("she's such a b--ch").

However, we'll see if they can keep it up, as I figure keeping those two vibes in resonance will be difficult.

Behavioral dissonance might set in, probably resulting in complaints that Mio is out of character in some episode. I foresee heated debate on the subject.
I agree. Mio is that type of character design to appeal particularly to the guys. I dont find her popularity surprising at all.

The fact that they have her in maid outfits and specifically saying she would look best in that out of the others is a big hint.

She's also smart/responsible, at the moment seemingly being the leader of the group leading to a capable/independent nature while the moe side, particularly the 'afraid of creepy things bit' is to satisfy the idea that there will always be something a guy can comfort her about.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:35   Link #68
stubby42

Maybe but I really think they did the character a dis serivce by making her so affraid of things no rational person would be scared of, the moment we learnt her motivation for wanting to the training camp was probably the best scene in the show so far because it just let the emotions flow naturally. They didnt force the shyness.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:38   Link #69
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
Maybe but I really think they did the character a dis serivce by making her so affraid of things no rational person would be scared of
Barnacles? Actually I know someone who's afraid of them (and he's also a poster here at Asuki, you know who you are ) - everyone in this planet is afraid of something, even if it can be oh so irrational. Besides, the only two things we've seen Mio be afraid of is blood and barnacles, and the first one isn't really a stretch for people to be afraid of you know: Some people are just really weak to the thought of blood. It's not like she's suddenly afraid of EVERYTHING as she's portrayed now

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:44   Link #70
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Maybe but I really think they did the character a dis serivce by making her so affraid of things no rational person would be scared of, the moment we learnt her motivation for wanting to the training camp was probably the best scene in the show so far because it just let the emotions flow naturally. They didnt force the shyness.
To sum up: fan service LOL

I just hope KyoAni won't overdo it.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

Old 2009-04-24, 12:47   Link #71
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Well yea it does seem a little too constructed...but as long as shes not cringing every episode I should manage.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:50   Link #72
stubby42

Quote:
Barnacles? Actually I know someone who's afraid of them (and he's also a poster here at Asuki, you know who you are ) - everyone in this planet is afraid of something, even if it can be oh so irrational. Besides, the only two things we've seen Mio be afraid of is blood and barnacles, and the first one isn't really a stretch for people to be afraid of you know: Some people are just really weak to the thought of blood. It's not like she's suddenly afraid of EVERYTHING as she's portrayed now
Yeah but Barnacles are just one example of the many things we've seen already, its almost as if a new fear is introduced every episode so far we've had: affraid of talking to people (I dont really think serving a customer in a fast food place public speaking), cutting your hands (or yui's) and now Barnacles.

If they can go two episodes without introducing a new fear then I'll eat my words but it feels like the writers are desperate to get sympathy for the character in anyway possible and having her be so irrationally shy is a short cut.

Which is a shame because she had an amazing scene this episode which really showed the depth of the character and the writers should be proud of it.

I can put up with it as long as we see more character development, dont get me wrong I love this show its just one little gripe I have against it.
Old 2009-04-24, 12:58   Link #73
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Yeah but Barnacles are just one example of the many things we've seen already, its almost as if a new fear is introduced every episode so far we've had: affraid of talking to people (I dont really think serving a customer in a fast food place public speaking),
Huh? That's not fear per se, that's shyness and embarrasment: Mio's that shy that she can't handle jobs that require personal public interaction. Trust me I can relate to her situation 100%: I worked at a bakery for a while once before, and chose NEVER to work the counter because I'm such a freaking introvert that the thought of having to personally interact with the customers actually freak me out. And I also don't feel too well thinking about being in a job that requires interpersonal skills.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:05   Link #74
stubby42

I'm not saying their not real fears (though barnacles is a bit odd) I'm just saying ending up in the fetal position at the mere thought of the fear seems a bit over the top.

I am terrified of needles, I've hyperventilated when having an injection and almost fainted, thinking about them makes me squeemish and I dont like seeing them on tv but I dont end up in that condition, I just dont look or I stop thinking about it.

I like that she has fears I just wish they would treat them differently.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:20   Link #75
Ottocycle

Quote:
I'm not saying their not real fears (though barnacles is a bit odd) I'm just saying ending up in the fetal position at the mere thought of the fear seems a bit over the top.

I am terrified of needles, I've hyperventilated when having an injection and almost fainted, thinking about them makes me squeemish and I dont like seeing them on tv but I dont end up in that condition, I just dont look or I stop thinking about it.

I like that she has fears I just wish they would treat them differently.
Well in her defense, she doesn't just think about them, she thinks too much about them and doesn't stop until her headasplodes. When she thinks about herself in a situation she's afraid of, she thinks the worst of it, all her thoughts in ep2 seem to reflect that. I won't be surprised that she did the same when she saw the barnacles this episode. Just like how you stop thinking of it as a way to cope, her convincing herself seems to be her own brand of that.

With that little rubbing in thanks to Ritsu, that impression (just like a particularly scary horror movie's) left on her is not going to go away for a day or two, which was how long their little 'holiday' was.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:22   Link #76
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
This is why the episode was amazing...

Spoiler for Picture!:

10 out of 10
I've never been jealous of an inanimate object until now. Is something wrong with me???
Old 2009-04-24, 13:30   Link #77
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i just about died from the Mio moe-ness. and it figures my 1 and 2 are the 1 and 2 in chest size.. heheeheheh

go figure that Yui was good at geetar. the concert ep is becoming more and more of a reality.. Don't Say Lazy = Best ED in a LONG time.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:35   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I was afraid the show was losing strength. In fact, the story and humor haven't been as sharp for me over the past two episodes. But Mio's moe factor in ep4 sets a new standard. Sure, they're milking it for all it's worth, so to speak, but she is totally irresistible, swinging from super-tsun to derederederederederedere (six times).

And Yui's magical skill is a fairly thrilling development, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:50   Link #79
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

The pure Moe factor of Mio in this episode was absolute win. However I always enjoy any beach episodes since it's a chance to see antics.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3

Last edited by Emerald Emblem; 2009-04-25 at 17:11.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:21   Link #80
Fandal

So, what does Jello and a Snow Cabin have to do w/ each other? The dream sequences of this anime are weird.

I'm not a guitarist, but how good is Yui at playing? Is listening to something like that and then playing it by ear not normal?
Closed Thread