AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 31 43.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 26.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-17, 23:37   Link #201
molitar

Ok I am surprised nobody has thought of it. The affects only are for those in town.. Why not try taking the records out of town to see the real roster? The curse can only affect those in town not outside of it so that should go the same for the records. Once done he/she could call those in class and inform those who is the dead one. Maybe that will lead to a way to break the curse otherwise why does the curse hide who the dead one is unless it might lead to the breaking of the curse?

If their was no chance of this than it would not matter if everyone knew who the dead person is. Now the Librarian said that the name is removed from the roster that they were killed.. after the it is all over than the roster returns to normal.. this means the dead one in the past returns and the dead one actions and memories are forgotten BUT not removed from the roster it's still in the current roster.. hence how they know who the dead one was after it's too late to do anything about it.
Old 2012-02-18, 00:15   Link #202
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
bullsh... i shouldn't had watched this... marathon-ed the whole six episodes and I'm hooked, always thought that i will watch mystery,horror animes when they're finished but then i saw the dancing Misaki err moe gif and couldn't resist

now that ending.. wtf sensei going crazy
Old 2012-02-18, 00:35   Link #203
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Ok I am surprised nobody has thought of it. The affects only are for those in town.. Why not try taking the records out of town to see the real roster? The curse can only affect those in town not outside of it so that should go the same for the records. Once done he/she could call those in class and inform those who is the dead one. Maybe that will lead to a way to break the curse otherwise why does the curse hide who the dead one is unless it might lead to the breaking of the curse?
Two things I wanna say. Your first point was discussed a few pages back if I remember correctly. Now assuming what Chibiki told us is true and the curse does not only alter records but also memories and perception it's very likely that such an event would lead to a similar result as the conversation with Kouichis dead...which was total failure in bringing something apparently important across.

And concerning the question of "why"...if we actually believe Chibiki's phrase of this being like a natural disaster then there is no true intent behind it at all...

Quote:
Now the Librarian said that the name is removed from the roster that they were killed.. after the it is all over than the roster returns to normal.. this means the dead one in the past returns and the dead one actions and memories are forgotten BUT not removed from the roster it's still in the current roster.. hence how they know who the dead one was after it's too late to do anything about it.
No, according to Chibiki the name vanishes from the roster of the year where it happens as well, leaving no traces of that One More ever being there. Would there be any reason for him to write her name on the bottom of the list if that were the case?

And on a completely different note, I find it interesting how few people have brought up the question of what to do actually if they were able to find out who the dead one is. It's not like the dead one him or herself would know...as far as we know.
Old 2012-02-18, 02:44   Link #204
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The bag seemed awfully heavy to just be carrying a single knife. I thought it was a bomb at first, but I suppose not...
Old 2012-02-18, 03:16   Link #205
Unknown Soldier
:D

I bet somebody's head is inside the bag...
Old 2012-02-18, 04:12   Link #206
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

While the phenomenon itself has a limited range (the town, approximately), that doesn't mean that people affected by it stop being affected by it when they move out. It's quite possible that people's perception of the documents is altered, not the documents themselves. And for now I will also keep with my theory that people making contact with those affected will also have their memories altered.

As for how Librarian Guy remembered that one name. After the school year was over, he realised who the extra one was, and quickly wrote it down before he forgot, seems logical to me. Apparently, the extra one disappearing, and everyone's memory changing back to the way it was before, don't all happen at the same time.
Old 2012-02-18, 06:56   Link #207
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
While the phenomenon itself has a limited range (the town, approximately), that doesn't mean that people affected by it stop being affected by it when they move out. It's quite possible that people's perception of the documents is altered, not the documents themselves. And for now I will also keep with my theory that people making contact with those affected will also have their memories altered.

As for how Librarian Guy remembered that one name. After the school year was over, he realised who the extra one was, and quickly wrote it down before he forgot, seems logical to me. Apparently, the extra one disappearing, and everyone's memory changing back to the way it was before, don't all happen at the same time.
^ this.

Someone understands! ^.^

Basically, if taken to concept. It's like looking at a word.

[Misaki]

The one in Yomiyama sees nothing, while the one in ... Tokyo sees Misaki right?
So... this guy from Tokyo calls the one in Yomiyama...

"...Hey... who's this guy *static* *static*..."

It's cus even telephone calls change memory perspective to the one in Yomiyama. Even if the one in Tokyo goes to Yomiyama, her memory perspective changes as well. The memories themselves don't change, just how the memories come out into the target's mind (eg memory POV), thus creating the perfect memory alteration.
Old 2012-02-18, 09:51   Link #208
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Face to Face

I came very late, but I won't be last.

If this serious is just as good as setting up the haunted and gloomy mood, I should praise it as well for the wonderful treatment delivered by both Misaki and Kouichi in this episode.

It's hard for someone to be asked or imposed the role of the non-existent person to have the class saved from the phenomenon, however, having two people sharing that role, then they can help each other out.
This outcome is proving beneficial for Misaki now, since Kouichi's the second non-existent member of Class-3 right now. They can talk freely and share many things in common; those two are making a natural and beautiful chemistry when interacting with each other.

As for the phenomenon, I was greatly reminded by Stephen Kings' works.

I believe more than the memories of the class and records altered, the Anothers possess them each year; Chibiki, the librarian, disclosed that this phenomenon happens naturally at the town every year since the 1972's incident with the boy Misaki.
I think it is more that everything connected to Class-3 gets rewritten as in preparation for the phenomenon coming-in.
Old 2012-02-18, 10:39   Link #209
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
As for the phenomenon, I was greatly reminded by Stephen Kings' works.
Interestingly, wasn't Kouchi reading a Stephen King novel while he was in the hospital? We know that he's a horror novel fan, but I wonder if the authors and book titles are supposed to indicate something. Personally, I got a chill when they flashed the H.P. Lovecraft book cover on the screen.

I was thinking about it some more and noted a bit of a pattern. Thus far, it seems like all of the deaths that have occurred in Yomiyama have centered around Kouchi:

Spoiler for List of deaths through episode 6:

I'm also reminded of Mei's statement about how things that are empty tend to take something from you. It was said in reference to the dolls, but I wonder if it's not something that could be applied to Kouchi.

Last edited by Ledgem; 2012-02-18 at 10:58.
Old 2012-02-18, 13:44   Link #210
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Interestingly, wasn't Kouchi reading a Stephen King novel while he was in the hospital? We know that he's a horror novel fan, but I wonder if the authors and book titles are supposed to indicate something. Personally, I got a chill when they flashed the H.P. Lovecraft book cover on the screen.
It would be great if Another progresses in the same vein as a Stephen King novel but, unfortunately, I doubt that would happen, because of the vast differences in social and cultural expectations.

King's horror usually stems from various kinds of social dysfunction which he then plays up (though not always) with a supernatural angle. I had earlier wondered about the extent to which Yukito Ayatsuji was inspired by similar kinds of dysfunction to write Another. It struck me that this story may be actually playing on the themes of ostracism and "social death", but it remains to be seen if that is the case or just a plot device. I do hope that it's more than just a contrivance, though, because it would give the story an interesting depth.

However, whether or not that pans out, I don't really expect Another to be anywhere near as visceral or gritty as a Stephen King novel. I'm not sure why, but Japanese horror stories generally lack that sense of "dirt" (or perhaps, more accurately, the corruption of "sin") and deal more often with "gore" instead. If I were to guess, it probably stems from differences in moral views, in that the concept of "sin" does not resonate with the Japanese the way it does in the mainly Christian West.

Quote:
I was thinking about it some more and noted a bit of a pattern. Thus far, it seems like all of the deaths that have occurred in Yomiyama have centered around Kouchi:

Spoiler for List of deaths through episode 6:
You aren't the first to wonder about Kouichi, who has been a prime suspect for being the "other" even before the mechanics of the phenomenon were revealed. On that note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
And on a completely different note, I find it interesting how few people have brought up the question of what to do actually if they were able to find out who the dead one is. It's not like the dead one him or herself would know...as far as we know.
Actually, I had thought about it and decided that it may not actually be important to find the "other". I think it was in the speculation thread: Someone asked how we, the viewers, would go about looking for the "other", and I concluded that rather than look for him or her, it would be more productive for Kouichi and Mei to learn about the origins of the phenomenon. Because, as Chibiki observed, the "other" doesn't seem to be inherently malicious. Furthermore, the deaths seem to be occurring like a natural response to an "extra", sort of like a twisted version of the laws of conservation.

So, it seems that it's key to find out why the dead to keep coming back, rather than to identify the "other". That would be the only way to permanently eliminate the phenomenon and thus save lives.
Old 2012-02-18, 14:44   Link #211
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It would be great if Another progresses in the same vein as a Stephen King novel but, unfortunately, I doubt that would happen, because of the vast differences in social and cultural expectations.

King's horror usually stems from various kinds of social dysfunction which he then plays up (though not always) with a supernatural angle.

However, whether or not that pans out, I don't really expect Another to be anywhere near as visceral or gritty as a Stephen King novel. I'm not sure why, but Japanese horror stories generally lack that sense of "dirt" (or perhaps, more accurately, the corruption of "sin") and deal more often with "gore" instead.
I have to disagree with that one quite intensely and not only concerning Ayatsuji Yukito. Yes, I am a big fan of his writing, but I'm also doing my Masters thesis on Japanese mystery and horror fiction, so I hope you don't mind if I elaborate a little. If you like we can continue this via messages before it becomes too OT, but I really want to deliver my point here as well...

Ayatsuji is very much inspired by King, though not as much as his wife Ono Fuyumi (the author of Shiki), among other Western authors. I might argue that among Japanese authors he is probably most open about his influences from foreign authors when it comes to the Horror genre. His novel Hiiro no sasayaki was inspired by Dario Argentos earlier works especially Profondo Rosso and Suspiria (being practically an hommage to both movies) and Gankyû Kidan, Freaks and Dondon Bridge Is Falling Down show similar inspirations.
And he is not the only author, Suzuki Kôji (though he'd probably never admit it), Miyabe Miyuki or Tanaka Hirofumi show similar instances of writing much more transcultural than what the J-Horror Boom wanted us to believe.

What we in the West define of J-Horror is pretty much just a very limited range of the whole spectrum, especially because movies were always much more directed in one direction that went well with the audience. Horror novels by Japanese authors are much more varied in their plots and messages as well as less being less limited by what can be shown on screen.

Of course Japanese authors have a different background when writing horror, but assuming that it is less dirty, less gritty and less about criticism. If you look for example at Onos Shiki you will notice that it not only emulates the feeling of Kings Salem's Lot pretty well but also adds the dilemma of the vampires into it paralleling the feeling of the victims of radiation in Japan from WW2 onwards.

I wanted to point this out because such implications are easy to miss but not undetectable. I find it sad when foreign horror is reduced or glorified just because it is foreign when in fact inluences and similar ideas are functioning much less based on the national background.
Old 2012-02-18, 15:36   Link #212
VDZ

Quote:
If you want my opinion...

You kill him or her. Simple as that. They may not be malevolent, and you might not be able to morally blame them, but it's undeniable that they are the cause. It's a matter of sacrificing one innocent person to prevent a greater amount of deaths. Add to that that the dead person will disappear at the end of the year anyways and you're at most reducing someone's lifespan by a single year.

Sure, in the long term it's much better to just find out about the phenomenon itself, and since this is fiction, in the story I would agree with you (of course they'll find out at some point, would be a waste if they didn't), but rationally the chances of you finding out how to stop a supernatural phenomenon and achieving a happy happy rainbow end are rather small.

If the mysterious deaths don't stop after killing the Another, use the regular countermeasures until the end of the year. If the killed person was indeed the Another, it's back to the drawing board. If the Another was incorrectly identified, the accuser will just have to live with the guilt as punishment for failing something that important, and the new 3-3 will have to try the method again to see if it works.

It may feel cruel, but I believe rationally that's the best way to go about it.
Old 2012-02-18, 17:17   Link #213
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
To what extent would Class 3 be able to find out who the Other is? Akazawa seems to think the Other would have cold hands, but that seems iffy. I'm going to guess that it's literally impossible for anyone inside the town to figure it out. And if anyone outside the town tries/starts to figure it out, they're interfered with (could this be an explanation for Kouichi's phone conversation with his dad being cut off...?)

Here's another question: what if the Other is inadvertently chosen to be the nonexistent student? Would anything happen?
Old 2012-02-18, 20:39   Link #214
Unknown Soldier
:D

I'm not sure how you would kill someone who is already dead. The Another is already dead, after all.
Old 2012-02-18, 20:52   Link #215
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I'm not sure how you would kill someone who is already dead. The Another is already dead, after all.
But has a living body.
Old 2012-02-18, 20:56   Link #216
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
However, whether or not that pans out, I don't really expect Another to be anywhere near as visceral or gritty as a Stephen King novel. I'm not sure why, but Japanese horror stories generally lack that sense of "dirt" (or perhaps, more accurately, the corruption of "sin") and deal more often with "gore" instead. If I were to guess, it probably stems from differences in moral views, in that the concept of "sin" does not resonate with the Japanese the way it does in the mainly Christian West.
That's an interesting take on Japanese horror vs. Western (or maybe just American) horror. I admit that I'm not a huge horror fan (particularly for Western horror), I feel that the difference between the two has to do with shock factor. Western horror seems to utilize surprise (things popping out suddenly, usually unexpectedly) and grotesque (mutilation, monsters, painful-looking things, torture). It seemed to me that while Japanese horror utilized a bit of the "grotesque" shock factor, it is very minor by comparison. Japanese horror seems more about building up that tense atmosphere, and just keeping the tension very high.

I can't stand western horror, but I find Japanese horror to be more intriguing. Then again, it may just be a filter effect: Japan may have its fair share of shock-type horror, but the only types that would make it over to America would be the more sophisticated types.

Quote:
You aren't the first to wonder about Kouichi, who has been a prime suspect for being the "other" even before the mechanics of the phenomenon were revealed.
I don't necessarily think that Kouichi is the "other." I think that he may represent something more significant, or present a new aspect of the phenomenon. If I'm remembering the dates correctly, wasn't Kouchi's mother in the class that first started this entire thing? Who knows, then - maybe part of Misaki's sprit is with Kouchi, or depending on how Misaki and Ritsuko were related, there may be something there, as well.

I'm also starting to think that Reiko was the student chosen to be ignored in her class...
Old 2012-02-18, 21:07   Link #217
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
If I'm remembering the dates correctly, wasn't Kouchi's mother in the class that first started this entire thing?
Yes, she was.

Quote:
I'm also starting to think that Reiko was the student chosen to be ignored in her class...
Well, there's a thought. I think that's very possible.
Old 2012-02-18, 21:10   Link #218
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
That can't be,she was in class 3 15 years ago,they only came up with the "ignore a student" solution 5 years later.
Old 2012-02-18, 21:28   Link #219
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
That can't be,she was in class 3 15 years ago,they only came up with the "ignore a student" solution 5 years later.
Oh, is that right? I can't keep a lot of these dates straight... still, it's curious to me that Reiko has the whole "follow the class rules, and remember that the group comes before the individual" thing as advice for Kouchi. She also espouses the same "you'll know what you need to know when the time comes" mentality that the other students in the class have.
Old 2012-02-18, 22:32   Link #220
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Oh, is that right? I can't keep a lot of these dates straight... still, it's curious to me that Reiko has the whole "follow the class rules, and remember that the group comes before the individual" thing as advice for Kouchi. She also espouses the same "you'll know what you need to know when the time comes" mentality that the other students in the class have.
I'm 100% sure on those dates.

But what you bring up is interesting.Though class 3 could always have had strict rules concerning the phenomenom even before the "ignore a student" countermesure came up.
Either that or as some people speculate she came back to the school later on as an assistant teacher.

Also that rule is rule 3,I don't think we'ver ever heard 1,2 and 4.