AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-06, 06:57   Link #1
Khaos

Question Overknee socks in reality?

Lots of female anime characters wear overknee socks (those things are truly moe-maximisers) but at least here in germany you don't see anyone wearing them (apart from gothic lolita cosplayers).
Are they as common in Japan now as depicted in anime or is it primarily fanservice (Zettai Ryouiki )?
How common are they in other countries?
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 06:58   Link #2
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

dont know about in Japan, but in America, I've never seen anyone wear them.
Old 2007-11-06, 07:02   Link #3
BaltazarDZ
Lazy Bum

Send a message via MSN to BaltazarDZ Send a message via Yahoo to BaltazarDZ
They aren't really popular. I don't know all the reasoning behind it, but my sister said that they are uncomfortable and tend to slip down a lot and it's a hassle to fix them time after time.
BaltazarDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 08:09   Link #4
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltazarDZ View Post
They aren't really popular. I don't know all the reasoning behind it, but my sister said that they are uncomfortable and tend to slip down a lot and it's a hassle to fix them time after time.
That's why you use sock-glue!
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 08:39   Link #5
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
That's why you use sock-glue!
Amen to that.

Remembering again how hard I rofled when I heard that stuff is real. On to the topic well. I have seen them in the netherlands, but it's that ghotic typa thing I guess. With those stripes on em. Now that I think about it also on normal girls(without the stripes), but if it ain't on a school uniform it ain't that special I guess. You don't need sock glue though. At least the type girls wear here don't.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 10:38   Link #6
LynnieS

Thigh-high stockings? Not sure about the rest of Japan, but certainly around the parts of Tokyo (the western side of the city) in which I usually travel, they're still pretty popular with the girls/young women wearing knee-high boots, skirts, and so on. "Sock glue"? LOL.

-- LynnieS (who, these days, wonders why mini-skirts with go-go boots ever went out of fashion )

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 11:06   Link #7
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

i wear over knee stripy ones all the time

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 11:32   Link #8
Honda Boy Techy
I has a Civic

Live in Tennessee and never see the damn things.
Honda Boy Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 12:15   Link #9
Thrasher187
Spellcaster
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Thrasher187
I live in Florida and I have yet to report a single girl wearing those type socks. Although I have seen a girl with a pair of socks that come up to just below the knee.
Thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 13:09   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I see them on the US West Coast occasionally (northwest from SFO on up) if you're talking about the loose and thick legwarmers that come up to the thigh. Occasionally meaning a few times a month. More often I see the full striped 'all the way up' thick panty-stockings though. Both are actually made and sold by a local Oregon company (which is where I get my tabi socks) so they're not uber-expensive either. I've not seen the thigh-high tight leg-huggers outside of an anime convention here though.

My wife will wear the loose and thick legwarmers on occasion when she has the whim to wear a skirt (since it rarely gets over 25C here in the US Northwest most of the year).

Your local weather will have a great deal to do with whether they're practical at all (aka they'd just be warmth overkill anywhere south of the 35 degree latitude).

They just don't seem to have caught on in most of the southern US -- but watch almost any youtubey video of 'streets of Japan/Tokyo' and you'll see them being worn by some.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-11-06 at 15:20.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 13:11   Link #11
Jiah

I had to get a pair of plain white over-the-knee socks for a shouta costume, and was able to find a pair in my sister's sock drawer! Most I've seen only cover up to the shin, though.
Jiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 14:49   Link #12
XxKawaiiAngelxX

Haha im wearing some right now but they do fall down alot i'll have to get some sock glue!!
I dont see alot of people wearing them other than cosplay...i guess im just a random!
Old 2007-11-06, 16:00   Link #13
DaFool
Resident devil

I can't even remember the last time I saw a miniskirt.

It must have been years ago...

Without a miniskirt, there's no practical way of telling if someone's wearing overknees (without, um...)
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 17:03   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mostly in terms of skirts, I see mid-thigh skirts at the most (no one wears minis much anymore, bunch of Victorian Prudes I tell ya). My wife has a fair collection from her high school days and will pull them out occasionally just to show disbelieving teens how short things got
Old 2007-11-06, 17:35   Link #15
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

I have gloves that go past my elbows, but I've never seen any real person wearing said socks.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 17:50   Link #16
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Yes, yes yes.... I've seen every sock shown in anime in some random store or another. The rumpled loose socks (with sock glue! Flashback to Chiri+Kafuka scene!) and thigh-length socks would be perfect for my trip to Akihabara this winter....

It's true!
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 17:52   Link #17
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

The only place I've seen such socks besides Japan is over here in Korea, and it's now out of fashion.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 18:00   Link #18
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
I wear thigh-high socks (a slightly longer cousin of over-the-knee) but they are awfully hard to find in stores nowadays. Last year I was able to find a pair of black thigh-highs on Amazon.com, but this year only the garter-lace-fetish type is available. I've tried searching local department stores and nobody sells them plain and opaque.

Anyways, I do own a few pairs that I wear with shorts and skirts. They are very good for keeping legs warm when you just want to wear something short. Sock-dreams.net is probably anyone's best bet to get the widest variety of thigh-high and over-the-knee socks possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher187 View Post
Although I have seen a girl with a pair of socks that come up to just below the knee.
Those, my friend, are knee-high socks.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 18:54   Link #19
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
never here...just never...and the people here probably never heard such blasphemy (unless its a person who is into anime ofc...but it seems that none are around...maybe when i hit uni ).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 19:07   Link #20
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Very VERY rarely I'll see some. Though it is usually on a girl who clearly is trying to dress differently, normally erotically. Like the "goth" girl who wants to stand out, or a girl who is trying her hardest to look sexy.

Most girls just wear nearly the exact same clothes as every other girl, kinda annoying.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote