AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-29, 21:07   Link #2241
jpwong

Can't really blame them for requiring a series to be finished, I mean, our impression could be totally altered if the last quarter of the series is so horrible that it makes you want to gouge your eyes out. Not that I think it would, but you know, stuff can happen.
Old 2009-12-29, 22:41   Link #2242
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Man you people are so depressing and pessimistic.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 23:31   Link #2243
Theowne
耳をすませば

So, ep 39:

If I had to be a complainer, Azuma's "inlaws can get married" moment wasn't exactly subtle, and the whole Akane asking Kou to pose shirtless was a bit..out of nowhere. But I liked Kou at the flea market and father Tsukishima's monologue. Mizuki.....I can't be the only one who glazes over when he comes on screen.

About the idea of romancing standing still until the final episode....I don't know if that is out of the question. Without being specific, that has sort-of happened in one Adachi series I've read, where the sports tournament takes the high priority for much of the last act of the anime, and the romance side is a closer at the end. Perhaps that will happen here too. But, yeah, some more progression now would be welcomed..

Quote:
say anything here due to mods being more present nowadays in this thread
Or maybe just out of respect for anime watchers.....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 00:15   Link #2244
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Can't really blame them for requiring a series to be finished, I mean, our impression could be totally altered if the last quarter of the series is so horrible that it makes you want to gouge your eyes out. Not that I think it would, but you know, stuff can happen.
Sadly you have to make some clearcut eligibility rules. Including only series that have been completed in the current year is easy to enforce and non-discriminatory.

In this case Cross Game may be disadvantaged by its length. It will end long before people are considering the 2010 awards and may suffer from lack of immediacy. I rather doubt that will happen though, since it will obviously receive many nominations, and its fans are both loyal and devoted. I suspect Cross Game will do just fine in the 2010 competition. No matter how good this coming year's crop of shows may be, Cross Game will certainly be among the best.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 00:34   Link #2245
Theowne
耳をすませば

Shows that have the majority of their episodes in a given year would have been fairly easy to enforce. Well, assuming we know the # of episodes before hand like with Cross Game.

Though I understand the reasoning behind the rules, of course. It's just a bit strange that I can't nominate the show I looked forward to the most out of any series I followed this year (except maybe Natsume).

But that's that.

Old 2009-12-30, 02:10   Link #2246
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I just don't see Kou happy marrying a plot device, even if she is a nice person who looks exactly like his dead childhood sweetheart.
Opposed to someone who is passive aggressive most of the time?
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 02:20   Link #2247
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Shows that have the majority of their episodes in a given year would have been fairly easy to enforce.
I think only including finished series is a fair choice. I started picking titles for those awards and one of the titles that I've included the most was Clannad After Story, a show which ended in march. But there were a lot of sections where I said to myself, "next year this goes to Cross Game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Opposed to someone who is passive aggressive most of the time?
Opposed to someone he has an amazing chemistry with.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-12-30 at 03:08.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 05:59   Link #2248
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Mizuki.....I can't be the only one who glazes over when he comes on screen.
Don't worry. You aren't.

Anyway I seriously loled when Azuma found Kou to be posing half naked. I just thought he was looking at himself in front of a mirror. God that would've been hilarious. Kou asking Akane for an umbrella was priceless too. The best part was that fathers monologue. Kind sad and heartwarming at the same time.

Last edited by Haak; 2009-12-30 at 10:12.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 09:57   Link #2249
CWW
Lurker

Let me put it this way. If Kou were to ask Aoba out on a date now, would she be delighted? No. Would Akane be delighted? Yes.

Aoba has to step up to the plate at some point, figuratively speaking, if she wants me to root for her. If she doesn't open up her feelings and lets things stay as it is, then honestly she doesn't deserve Kou. What has she done for Kou besides teaching him baseball which Wakaba asked her to do? Nothing. She didn't even had the courage to tell Kou the chocolate was for him and not Yuuhei. She's still at a stage where she refers Kou as Kitamura-senpai despite knowing each other for I don't know how many years. Often in a snarky tone no less too.

Akane offers a nice counterpoint to Aoba. And please don't bring up the point that Akane only serves as a plot device. The main pairing might be set in stone, that doesn't mean I have to like it (yet).

As the saying goes: "First come, first served."
Old 2009-12-30, 10:29   Link #2250
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

By your own concerns, what has Akane ever done for Kou, besides a very nicely done doll?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 10:31   Link #2251
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Chocolate, hearing him out in the so-called dates. Mainly hearing him out I guess, which given how little Kou opens himself to other people is alreay a big accomplishment.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 10:44   Link #2252
CWW
Lurker

What Proto said. Being sweet and caring goes a long way.
Old 2009-12-30, 11:19   Link #2253
poko-kun

Aoba is facing with the hardest situation compare to others, no one knows about "But you can't have him" said Wakaba. So give her some times.
Old 2009-12-30, 13:32   Link #2254
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
She's still at a stage where she refers Kou as Kitamura-senpai despite knowing each other for I don't know how many years. Often in a snarky tone no less too.
Always in a snarky tone. I don't think the Kitamura-sempai business is supposed to indicate some sort of distance between them. She always does it mockingly.

Old 2009-12-30, 13:40   Link #2255
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, I don't get the whole "she doesn't deserve him" bit. Both of them quite clearly care and take care of each other in their own special ways, already. What's not to like?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 14:25   Link #2256
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Always in a snarky tone. I don't think the Kitamura-sempai business is supposed to indicate some sort of distance between them. She always does it mockingly.
Yeah,the fact she does it mockingly doesn't indicate distance to me,and really,I can see where she's coming from with the mocking,he's supposed to be her "sempai" but when it comes to pitching it's her that teaches him everything
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 15:45   Link #2257
CWW
Lurker

Until now that is. She's probably too stubborn to admit it though.

And if you think a relationship can be maintained by ridicule and contempt, then oh boy, I've got news for you.
Old 2009-12-30, 16:23   Link #2258
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Until now that is. She's probably too stubborn to admit it though.

And if you think a relationship can be maintained by ridicule and contempt, then oh boy, I've got news for you.
Well she's just started saying to herself "maybe I've been underestimating him"!

It might have been ridicule and contempt at the start but to me it seems to evolve slowly but surely into a "playful tease",which I've definetly seen in relationships.

Of course maybe this is just me seeings things thanks to wishful thinking,though I'd like to add that I have no big problem with Kou ending up with Akane as long as it's because it's Akane he likes,not just because she looks like Wakaba.I also hope that Akane has this condition and doesn't just accept being a substitute.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 16:59   Link #2259
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
I think you're blowing things way out of proportion. Her joking "-sempai" is just a little form of teasing between them.

No, they're not the most lovey dovey pair, but they understand and complement each other, surely that counts for something.

Old 2009-12-30, 21:56   Link #2260
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm surprised not to see comment on the most crucial development of the ep - the return of the original Nomo drawing song.

In terms of the episode itself, I think this was a pretty strong week for Kou/Aoba development. In a show driven by subtext, almost all of it this week hinted at Kou/Aoba - especially from Aoba's side. Akane and Aoba remain serious roadblocks, but they lost ground in the war this week. I'm not thrilled to see the national team subplot rear it's head again, as I thought that distraction was behind us - but on balance it was a very solid episode.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports