AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 34 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 27.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-26, 05:27   Link #181
Sleepy100
*snore**snore* zzz.......

My opinion is that Michael was rolling his eyes at the scene. It's like he was thinking "Oh, there they go again....A lover's quarrel. Do take your time to make up, children."

-Back to Episode 16-

I never gave this episode a good grade.

One: They were re-using too many battle scenes.

Two: It feels like I'm watching the generic self-sacrificing characters. You know the ones with all talk but have no drive to do it? Somehow watching Ranka act like that ticked me off. In other words, I ended up liking Grace more than Ranka in this episode.

Three: It's the new Aimo song. While it's impressive, when they played the song as background music to the battle scene, it felt like I was watching rogue soldiers running into a village of civilians and slaughtering them with out regard. While it does fit the scene perfectly, I still didn't like it.

I don't know about Lynn Minmay (I never watched the original Macross) but when I saw Ranka singing the new version of Aimo, and the fake smile at the end of the episode, I thought to myself "Am I looking at the face of a soldier who's made his first kill? If that's so, the bridge bunnies and Kanaria just said the wrong things. Ranka, you can lie to anybody you want but don't ever lie to yourself. It'll bring you nothing but pain and tears."
Old 2008-07-26, 06:12   Link #182
sekidousai
Ra-ou
*Graphic Designer

I've just finished watching ep 16. gave it an 11/10 just for the VB-6 being there !!!!

Nice to see that Mönster out in the field(sweet), First half is about Ranka being Guarded by Brera and kicking Altos butt! Brera is giving me that Lynn Kaifun feel,maybe start of an incestral relationship. Ranka might be headed to Minmay's path afterall!!?

Midway Sheryl is picked up by Alto and brought her to his room. Sheryl wakes up and caught Alto harras*** errr.... i meant it was a misunderstanding. Michel caught Alto and Sheryl redhanded. Michel dissapointed because they are not honest with each other(?).

Second half of the show is about the Ranka attack! (Really heading towards Minmay Path) Sheryl takes one blow after another! I knew Ranka attack will be devastating but i never expected to be this powerful, i can feel Sheryl's pain right now. Now will be the perfect chance for AltoxSheryl. If only he realizes his feeling for Sheryl this time, the following episodes will be epic!!!!!!!!
New Ed. theme... hmmmm... Northern Cross didn't seem very catchy to me..... And a live action type of Ed, similar to SDF. yapari Ranka is going to Minmays path.

next episode: Goodbye Sister. If we follow tradition then Ozma will go the way of the Focker.
----------------------------
(scene taken from the original SDF final episode)
Alto : A girl like Ranka can't be tied down to a guy like me.
Sheryl: ehh. and whats make you think you think that it's gonna be okay for me to be tied Down by you? i got concerts too ya know.
Alto :
Bobby: unyaa~~~ I don't mind being tied down by you.
Alto :

Last edited by sekidousai; 2008-07-26 at 06:39. Reason: hurray for the edit button
Old 2008-07-26, 07:43   Link #183
Terra

I wouldn't be surprised to find that all the Ozma reference stuff in the preview and summery for the ep turned out to be a red herring. They've shown a fondness for that in Macross.

And I see Ozma dying being too much for Ranka. It's not something I see her taking and being able to function at all for a very long time if it happened whilst she still has her mental problem. Look at how she reacted back when Ozma was hurt. Death would make it so much worse, there's no way it'd help her singing in any way. It'd probably kill her ability to sing for a long time.

I liked the new Aimo. It works for what it's being used as. If it was just on it's own then it doesn't work as well. But for a battle song it does to a point. But nothing like how Sheryl's songs go with battles. I really like the new ending as well. DC took a while to grow on me, but I love it now, but NC has got me right from the start. Looking forward to hearing the full version.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real key to ending this turns out to be both Sheryl and Ranka together.
Old 2008-07-26, 09:55   Link #184
Prov1

I watched the episode and realized a few things. Why does Alto want to protect Ranka? Because he has feelings for her. It really doesn't seem Alto has feelings for Sheryl. I only see a one way conection between them. You can disagree with me and all but that's my opinion. However, Ranka's new personality is gonna change her and stuff, but in the end I still believe it's gonna be AltoxRanka even though I hate that ending.
Old 2008-07-26, 10:25   Link #185
Wesley84

Alto's meeting with his boss was disappointing. All he essentionally said was he wanted to create the galactic equavilent of the Interstate Highway System, and the Vajra were somehow key for that. Big whoop. Ozma seemed to imply he'd pump Alto for information, but absolutely nothing come of it! Amd if a faster mode of travel is all there is to it, what's the point to the conspiracy? I know industrial secrets matter, but this is just too ridiculious.

A wasted oppurtunity to see Alto interact with someone that wasn't Sheryl, Ranka, or Michael. And doesn't anything impress that guy? Giant trainset come on! Guess if it's not planetbound gas, he's not interested.

Luca's okay. You know, he just got shot to pieces a couple episodes ago, while acting all tough and vowing to make a love declaration. Not only was he completely absent in the last episode, but he's not given any decent characterization in this one. Just the same ole group of losers sitting around waiting for Ranka to move them.

Ranka's really quite nice isn't she? She greeted everyone, and not just Alto. She doesn't like how Elmo was ditched like that. She visited survivors of the damaged island, which I would ordinarily have no use for, but compared to Sheryl's lame Spacy recruitment propganda films, it makes Ranka look like a Saint.

Her interaction with Bresra was also nice, but Grace needs to tone down the grand schemer bit. Can't say I like the remix. It's got a beat of conquest to it. Like a warsong.

Ai-kun! It has a name! And is quite talented to open a zipped bag from the inside.

Can't say Alto didn't have it coming to him. I'm glad someone finally put that moron in his place, and I'm really glad Bresra was the one to do it. Suffice to say, I wouldn't mind him taking Alto's spot as the "main" character one bit.

Okay, fated () encounter with the hospital escapee...and Alto takes her back to his bunk on the freaking aircraft carrier. Didn't this guy have a home before joining the SMS?

Omg! Rara lives! Well, maybe not, but who else do we know that's in the SMS and can flies a trio of QRs, besides the Pixies? (check the bow of Quarter when it's on it's way for the "experiment")

Wow, Luca looks pimping with his sensor dish twirling behind him like that.

And a rare, heartfelt, Ozma/Ranka moment. Seems like they've patched things up. I especially liked how he set up radio silence like that.

Omfg. He took Sheryl into a potentional warzone. Alto really is an idiot!

Well, Sheryl can't let herself just disappear now can she? Or rather the writers can't bring themselves to admit what a horrible mistake they've made with her character and put her in the backround where she belongs. Kill her off already!

"If I go, it won't be an experiment." So badass.

Well, this is bullshit. Ranka's letting herself be used as a WMD. I guess her captive experience meant didly squat to her.

Preview: Maybe we'll finally learn why a twenty-something single male fighter jockie was given an orphaned little girl to take care of?
Old 2008-07-26, 10:41   Link #186
Prov1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Alto's meeting with his boss was disappointing. All he essentionally said was he wanted to create the galactic equavilent of the Interstate Highway System, and the Vajra were somehow key for that. Big whoop. Ozma seemed to imply he'd pump Alto for information, but absolutely nothing come of it! Amd if a faster mode of travel is all there is to it, what's the point to the conspiracy? I know industrial secrets matter, but this is just too ridiculious.

A wasted oppurtunity to see Alto interact with someone that wasn't Sheryl, Ranka, or Michael. And doesn't anything impress that guy? Giant trainset come on! Guess if it's not planetbound gas, he's not interested.

Luca's okay. You know, he just got shot to pieces a couple episodes ago, while acting all tough and vowing to make a love declaration. Not only was he completely absent in the last episode, but he's not given any decent characterization in this one. Just the same ole group of losers sitting around waiting for Ranka to move them.

Ranka's really quite nice isn't she? She greeted everyone, and not just
Alto. She doesn't like how Elmo was ditched like that. She visited survivors of the damaged island, which I would ordinarily have no use for, but compared to Sheryl's lame Spacy recruitment propganda films, it makes Ranka look like a Saint.

Her interaction with Bresra was also nice, but Grace needs to tone down the grand schemer bit. Can't say I like the remix. It's got a beat of conquest to it. Like a warsong.

Ai-kun! It has a name! And is quite talented to open a zipped bag from the inside.

Can't say Alto didn't have it coming to him. I'm glad someone finally put that moron in his place, and I'm really glad Bresra was the one to do it. Suffice to say, I wouldn't mind him taking Alto's spot as the "main" character one bit.

Okay, fated () encounter with the hospital escapee...and Alto takes her back to his bunk on the freaking aircraft carrier. Didn't this guy have a home before joining the SMS?

Omg! Rara lives! Well, maybe not, but who else do we know that's in the SMS and can flies a trio of QRs, besides the Pixies? (check the bow of Quarter when it's on it's way for the "experiment")

Wow, Luca looks pimping with his sensor dish twirling behind him like that.

And a rare, heartfelt, Ozma/Ranka moment. Seems like they've patched things up. I especially liked how he set up radio silence like that.

Omfg. He took Sheryl into a potentional warzone. Alto really is an idiot!

Well, Sheryl can't let herself just disappear now can she? Or rather the writers can't bring themselves to admit what a horrible mistake they've made with her character and put her in the backround where she belongs. Kill her off already!

"If I go, it won't be an experiment." So badass.

Well, this is bullshit. Ranka's letting herself be used as a WMD. I guess her captive experience meant didly squat to her.

Preview: Maybe we'll finally learn why a twenty-something single male fighter jockie was given an orphaned little girl to take care of?
Alto doesn't have a home. His dad kicked him out. Sheryl lives in a hotel or something.
Old 2008-07-26, 10:44   Link #187
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1 View Post
Alto doesn't have a home. His dad kicked him out. Sheryl lives in a hotel or something.
So he was a hobo at the start of the series, gotcha.
Old 2008-07-26, 10:45   Link #188
Prov1

Quote:
So he was a hobo at the start of the series, gotcha.
No, I'm not saying he was a hobo... or maybe he was. Likely he lived on his own before they invited him to the SMS.
Old 2008-07-26, 10:47   Link #189
Wesley84

Quote:
No, I'm not saying he was a hobo... or maybe he was. Likely he lived on his own before they invited him to the SMS.
Yeah, he lived on his own with no apparent source of income before joining the SMS. Alto must really be a hobo, it's the only logical explanation.
Old 2008-07-26, 10:49   Link #190
Prov1

Quote:
Yeah, he lived on his own with no apparent source of income before joining the SMS. Alto must really be a hobo, it's the only logical explanation.
ok, let's think logical here. The series never showed his life. We can only assume, and we know he was kicked out. His source of income was probably the money he took from home, some1 sent him a check every month, or he worked. How else could he afford to go to that good school.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:01   Link #191
Wesley84

Quote:
ok, let's think logical here. The series never showed his life. We can only assume, and we know he was kicked out. His source of income was probably the money he took from home, some1 sent him a check every month, or he worked. How else could he afford to go to that good school.
Except he has no other relatives that we know, and his father would probably be family head even if they did exist. He's not 18 yet, so he probably doesn't have a savings account.

...Do you suppose Alto kissed the security when he snuck Sheryl aboard, or maybe he let them cope a feel (him or her, their choice)?
Old 2008-07-26, 11:01   Link #192
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Legally, the parent would be required to provide Alto with living expenses. He does live somewhere, but as with mostly what happens in Japanese society, he is probably living in some sort of an apartment.

Of course, being mad with your son is one thing, having expectations and loving your son are two unconditional elements.

Obviously, coming from a rich family and having a part time job also helps.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:04   Link #193
ReddyRedWolf

Alto was a famous big hit stage actor. He still has money from that.

Not to mention those stunt show gigs Mikhail finds, which are pocket change side jobs compared to SMS.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:05   Link #194
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Legally, the parent would be required to provide Alto with living expenses. He does live somewhere, but as with mostly what happens in Japanese society, he is probably living in some sort of an apartment.

Of course, being mad with your son is one thing, having expectations and loving your son are two unconditional elements.

- Tak
So disinheritance =/= diszoning then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Alto was famous big hit stage actor. He still has money from that.

Not to mention those stunt show gigs Mikhail finds, which are pocket change side jobs compared to SMS.
In his family's kabuki theater. He probably wasn't paid for the performance.

Still doesn't explain why Alto took her to his bunk aboard a mercenary aircraft carrier, instead of whatever place he called home before joining them.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:05   Link #195
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I beg to differ. This series was pretty packed actually. More so than some of the other things. When movies change scenes, you can notice it (obviously, backgrounds change, scene changes, etc.). I felt that this episode was comparable to a movie from the start, because that's when the scene shift happened. I mean, it happens all the time, but for some reason it gave me that movie scene shift vibe. And movies have less time compared to a Series.

That meeting with the boss didn't seem significant at all. However, I doubt we heard everything of that conversation. During the episode, he referred to Michael as being very intuitive. Then he said "Fold Quartz, huh.." or something like that. I'm sure that came from the "nothing" conversation with the boss, which we didn't get a glimpse of.

Rather than straight in your face facts, this episode got me to think a bit. Now I'm actually curious of what Grace, Brera, Ranka, and Leon have in all this. What could Leon, a Commander of the human fleet, possibly gain from this knowledge, that would supercede the benefits earned for Brera and Grace, and their other alien accomplices (if there are)?

Sheryl's back, or out of the hospital at least. Jealousy kicks in, and that adds more spice to the plot. As we know, Ranka and Sheryl both <3 Alto. And Alto = motivation to sing for Ranka = Songstress of hope/hope for people vs. Vajra.

Alto being a hobo or not doesn't concern me too much. Whatever it is, we know he was kicked out, he doesn't want to return to acting, and he was able to support himself somehow. That's enough of his past for me. It wouldn't hurt to know more about the background of the family though..

Overall, 9/10 or 10/10 on this episode.

Waiting to see Ozma / Cathy confrontation in 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84
...Do you suppose Alto kissed the security when he snuck Sheryl aboard, or maybe he let them cope a feel (him or her, their choice)?
Alto snuck her in, but Sheryl kissed the Security to go up to the Captains pit.
I hope I'm not giving a serious answer to a joke...

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:11   Link #196
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
Alto snuck her in, but Sheryl kissed the Security to go up to the Captains pit.
I hope I'm not giving a serious answer to a joke...
It was half a joke.

If Quarter only has security when it comes to allowing people onto the bridge, they've got way more problems then I thought.

Also, Sheryl found her way around amazingly quick. Who'd she have to put out for to get directions to the bridge?
Old 2008-07-26, 11:21   Link #197
ReddyRedWolf

I started to realize after watching SDF Macross episode 2 again that Alto is merely performing the time lost tradition of bringing a civilian to your carrier during a combat operation.

Yep Roy Focker. That Focker. (If it was Focker that brought Minmay or Sheryl to his quarters you know what would happen.)
Old 2008-07-26, 11:23   Link #198
dee32

Quote:
I watched the episode and realized a few things. Why does Alto want to protect Ranka? Because he has feelings for her. It really doesn't seem Alto has feelings for Sheryl. I only see a one way conection between them. You can disagree with me and all but that's my opinion. However, Ranka's new personality is gonna change her and stuff, but in the end I still believe it's gonna be AltoxRanka even though I hate that ending.
IMO I think Alto protects Ranka because I think he feel that she needs protecting. Alto being the hero type and Ranka being the damsel in distress. I think he sees Ranka more as a little sister than a love instrest.

Sheryl on the other hand is the direct opposite of Ranka. Sheryl is willing to fight for what she wants. Sheryl being proactive while Ranka being reactive. With Ozma possibly dying next ep. I see his death driving a wedge between Alto and Ranka. Opening the door for Sheryl. I like AltoxSheryl.

I think Brera was to overprotective of Ranka. I think the only reason he's Ranka's bodyguard and not a member of SMS is when Grace is ready to take Ranka back to Galaxy she could without much resistance, look how he took care of Alto.

I was glad than Sheryl ran way from the hospital before Grace could kill her. I hope SMS has the same firewall that Mr. Bilrer's house has. Well I hope Sheryl starts her SMS training soon.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:29   Link #199
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to find that all the Ozma reference stuff in the preview and summery for the ep turned out to be a red herring. They've shown a fondness for that in Macross.
Yes it's not like the previous previews before haven't thrown people off, I wouldn't be surprised if Brera recalls a few things from his past and that is the real reason for Goodbye sister since it shows Brera and Ranka's past parting.

Ozma being killed off now is a complete waste too.
Old 2008-07-26, 11:31   Link #200
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Ranka's about to be the most used person in the Frontier universe. She needs all the help she can get.

Sheryl on the other hand is a *failed project* and therefore discarded. I don't know who made Grace Ranka's manager, but if Leon really was a part of making that happen, it greatly interests me what he has up his sleeve. As I said, due to Leon's way of conducting business, I don't know who to root for, and I don't know who will benifit more in the end. Grace and her accomplices, or Leon. Both remains a mystery. But so far, their paths are aligned up - using Ranka as a tool. I think Grace knows a bit more about the Vajra than Leon does though. Although he seems to be catching up pretty quick.

Sheryl > Ranka for Alto. All day.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Closed Thread