AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 25 20.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 31.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 19.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 18.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-20, 01:11   Link #201
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm actually going with quiet bookish megane girl type or possibly tsundere myself. Loli actually seems like it would be to.......not obvious......dynamic.
Well gotta cover all the bases somehow~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-05-20, 01:30   Link #202
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Get off your high horse, seriously.

Look, my expectations for the series were based on the nature of this series that we saw in the first two episodes, and the nature of this series completely veered off course! Apparently I cannot type English since you do not understand?...
So, let me get this straight. You saw the first two episodes of "cute girls doing cute things" that simply revolved around a high school light music club (where the organization of said club is dismal even by high school standards, for that matter), concluded that the dominant theme of this series is "srsfknbsns musicmaking" simply because it revolves around said club, and proceed to deduce that 5 more episodes of "cute girls doing cute things" is veering off course from what you believed was the main theme of "srsfknbsns musicmaking"....?

Ok, maybe the above is off from what you're trying to say, but c'mon, you gotta give me more to work with here.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2009-05-20 at 01:34. Reason: My math is t3h fail.
Old 2009-05-20, 01:34   Link #203
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
This thread is in a critical condition...

*insert Wahbulance image here*
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-20, 01:50   Link #204
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
So, let me get this straight. You saw the first two episodes of "cute girls doing cute things" that simply revolved around a high school light music club (where the organization of said club is dismal even by high school standards, for that matter), concluded that the dominant theme of this series is "srsfknbsns musicmaking" simply because it revolves around said club, and proceed to deduce that 5 more episodes of "cute girls doing cute things" is veering off course from what you believed was the main theme of "srsfknbsns musicmaking"....?

Ok, maybe the above is off from what you're trying to say, but c'mon, you gotta give me more to work with here.
Sigh. I guess I'm going right back where I started, but why not? First I'll quote a post a couple pages back that someone else made as I thought he illustrated quite well what I was looking for in this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
I don't think people want sole focus on music, but focus on character interaction that has something to do with the music. The stuff where Mio is presenting the lyrics to the other club members, the moment in episode 7 where everyone was playing "air" instruments. These are some of the highlights of the show, because as I said before, they are interactions using music as a basis.

At least that's what I want. I guess I can't really speak for everyone, but I think if there was more of that, the show would be considered "better" by most.
Cute girls doing cute things is not out of sorts with what I was looking at. When I read the synopsis of K-ON! I thought I was going to see a group of girls clumsily form a band in a comedic way, but in the end it would come off as heart warming in their attempts to succeed. Perhaps there would even be a little drama as bands are almost always with drama... I also thought I'd hear some nice music (However one must consider the genre of music which was fairly obvious to me) I don't think this is something unreasonable to expect.

First episode... We get to see the four band members slowly come together, two of them have been friends since young and apparently had a dream to form a band ever since seeing a concert. Another one thought it would be a fun experience. The last was just you're typical ditz girl who wanderered into a situation that she didn't fully comprehend. We get to see a little peformance at the end and then we find out that this ditz girl cannot play any instruments, let alone a guitar! Ah, looks like all the ingredients are there to meet what I was attempting to see here! Oh, and I enjoyed the OP and ED that showed much promise to the show's future and the band's future.

Second episode... The four girls who formed a band come to realize that Yui needs to buy a guitar. Apparently Yui cannot afford one, especially not the one that she set her eyes on. Looks like the friends are going to have to bail her out. They all get together to do clumsily get jobs and pull together their efforts in order to buy Yui a guitar. In the end we realize that we have a little rich princess who owns the guitar store and bails Yui out of a little pinch by lowering down the price of such a guitar. A group of girls clumsily forming a band. Check. A little nice comedy to lighten up the mood in my day? Check. Hey the story is set up now, time to look foward to next week...

And after that you can pretty much just go to the previous episode threads or look at my past posts to see my position on this show developed over the last 4 episodes or so.
Old 2009-05-20, 02:02   Link #205
Ascaloth

Quote:
Sigh. I guess I'm going right back where I started, but why not? First I'll quote a post a couple pages back that someone else made as I thought he illustrated quite well what I was looking for in this show.

Cute girls doing cute things is not out of sorts with what I was looking at. When I read the synopsis of K-ON! I thought I was going to see a group of girls clumsily form a band in a comedic way, but in the end it would come off as heart warming in their attempts to succeed. Perhaps there would even be a little drama as bands are almost always with drama... I also thought I'd hear some nice music (However one must consider the genre of music which was fairly obvious to me) I don't think this is something unreasonable to expect.

First episode... We get to see the four band members slowly come together, two of them have been friends since young and apparently had a dream to form a band ever since seeing a concert. Another one thought it would be a fun experience. The last was just you're typical ditz girl who wanderered into a situation that she didn't fully comprehend. We get to see a little peformance at the end and then we find out that this ditz girl cannot play any instruments, let alone a guitar! Ah, looks like all the ingredients are there to meet what I was attempting to see here! Oh, and I enjoyed the OP and ED that showed much promise to the show's future and the band's future.

Second episode... The four girls who formed a band come to realize that Yui needs to buy a guitar. Apparently Yui cannot afford one, especially not the one that she set her eyes on. Looks like the friends are going to have to bail her out. They all get together to do clumsily get jobs and pull together their efforts in order to buy Yui a guitar. In the end we realize that we have a little rich princess who owns the guitar store and bails Yui out of a little pinch by lowering down the price of such a guitar. A group of girls clumsily forming a band. Check. A little nice comedy to lighten up the mood in my day? Check. Hey the story is set up now, time to look foward to next week...

And after that you can pretty much just go to the previous episode threads or look at my past posts to see my position on this show developed over the last 4 episodes or so.
To summarize, the amount of non-music-related content that is present in any one episode of this series is inversely proportional to how good you personally think the episode was, regardless of the quality of the non-music-related content in the first place. Noted.

(No, I'm not going to go over the previous episode threads for your posts; it's just too tedious for a lazy bum like me. )
Old 2009-05-20, 02:12   Link #206
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

"Quality of the non-music-related content": It is going down ep by ep.
Old 2009-05-20, 02:14   Link #207
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
To summarize, the amount of non-music-related content that is present in any one episode of this series is inversely proportional to how good you personally think the episode was, regardless of the quality of the non-music-related content in the first place. Noted.
somehow I'm beginning to realize Reckon's point

but yeah .. instead of bashing it .. I just enjoy it to the fullest lots of people have different views and expectations .. one cannot force those to another

p.s. K-ON ep 8 upcoming 1:29am laterz XD seeing the maid uniform stuff .. it would prolly disappoint Reckon and the others more ^^
Old 2009-05-20, 02:17   Link #208
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:

(No, I'm not going to go over the previous episode threads for your posts; it's just too tedious for a lazy bum like me. )
Trying to mathematically quantity something like that is silly. You missed the entire point of the post and frankly I've grown tired of responding tonight.

This will be the last things I will say... I do not wish to see the animation of moe blobs for 20 minutes every week. Where is the even basic character development? The group bonding? Any drama? Plot build up? The trials of completing such a task? Much of what I have seen in the past episodes has been superflurous activities that didn't progress the series very much at all, and yet we get to see the band magically become good by the concert episode by doing nothing forcing us to suspend our belief even though they went through the trouble of illustrating the point in the beginning that Yui doesn't know how to play guitar and has trouble focusing....

And likewise, I'm too lazy myself to go back to my old posts.
Old 2009-05-20, 02:28   Link #209
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The seeming self imposed aggravation may be blocking one's senses when it comes to seeing character development, group bonding, and even increase in musical skills. There is not very much of this per episode, but there is some in each one. Mostly it is group bonding and minor character development with some indication that Yui is getting better with the guitar by practising at home. The other three seem to know their instruments already and just need serious polish on group play and the ability to write music that they play.

As for them being good at the concert, that is a little open to interpretation. The song wasn't all that good, and their ending was sloppy. It was what it was...a first serious attempt. Also they've had something like six months to get that far (If the festival was in November).

One would assume that an additional member will add drama (in one form or another) since you now have an outsider joining a core group. Well will see, either this week or next what comes of this.
Old 2009-05-20, 02:32   Link #210
Ascaloth

Quote:
Trying to mathematically quantity something like that is silly. You missed the entire point of the post and frankly I've grown tired of responding tonight.
You're making the assumption that I was actually attempting a "srsfknbsns" mathematical quantification of your opinion, which is hardly the case. I was merely making a description of what your last reply looked like to me, and if I missed the point, whose fault is it? Certainly not mine, since I went to all the trouble to make your post as understandable as I can make it.

Quote:
This will be the last things I will say... I do not wish to see the animation of moe blobs for 20 minutes every week. Where is the character development? The even basic character development? The group bonding? Any drama? Plot build up? Much of what I have seen in the past episodes has been superflurous activities that didn't progress the series very much at all, and yet we get to see the band magically become good by the concert episode by doing nothing.
Better. Much more concise. I could start pointing out the answers to your questions, but since you've made the mistake of allowing me to get on your nerves, I think it's best you sleep it off for today. You'll probably feel better off next time, and I've got other things to do anyway.
Old 2009-05-20, 02:38   Link #211
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Do we yet know the episode count for this series. I haven't been keeping track. If it is a two cour series, then viewers like Reckoner who was attracted to the show after the first two episode, may see some fruition to their expectation about the type of drama the first two episodes hint at. Of course, I don't know how the manga pans out in regards to the flow of the story, or the sort of focus about the band and its eventual success.

Anyway, since the viewers like Reckoner who aren't satisfied by how the show is going about it is in the minority, I suppose the stories' appeal is there as long as we can accept the notion, it's not for everyone.

Peace be with us all!

And both Ascaloth and Reckoner could use some sleep at this point.
Old 2009-05-20, 02:47   Link #212
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post

NOOOO!!!

What am I supposed to do with my popcorn now?

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-05-20, 02:47   Link #213
Ascaloth

Quote:
Pffft. Speak for yourself, I'm not the one getting heated up here. Me, I've got the remaining episodes of ARIA to blow through by today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
NOOOO!!!

What am I supposed to do with my popcorn now?

Ah. Perfect for an ARIA session. *takes KiNA's popcorn*
Old 2009-05-20, 02:48   Link #214
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

We now interrupt the "Y SO SRS?" discussion to force you back to your regularly-scheduled program...

I noticed in this episode, for everything Sawako did to possibly embarrass herself during the Christmas party, KyoAni sparred her during the end of the episode during the New Year's segment by taking out the part in the manga where she had an elongated prayer and multiple drawn omikuji...I guess she already looked pathetic enough as it is...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-20, 02:52   Link #215
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Pffft. Speak for yourself, I'm not the one getting heated up here. Me, I've got the remaining episodes of ARIA to blow through by today.

Ah. Perfect for an ARIA session. *takes KiNA's popcorn*
I just finished Bamboo Blade. Don't make me hit you with my Shinai, well... the remote control that will be referred to as my Shinai for the time being. And besides, I'm too pumped up to go to sleep anyway.

So, do we have an episode count announced for this show yet?
Old 2009-05-20, 02:54   Link #216
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

13 confirmed episodes so far, only up to 10 have episode titles to them...Nothing yet on what happens beyond...
Old 2009-05-20, 02:56   Link #217
Ascaloth

Quote:
I just finished Bamboo Blade. Don't make me hit you with my Shinai, well... the remote control that will be referred to as my Shinai for the time being. And besides, I'm too pumped up to go to sleep anyway.
*cowers*
Old 2009-05-20, 02:56   Link #218
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I dont think its enough material for 24 episodes.. most like 13 episodes. Altho, for more Mio moeness, I dont mind a 100 episodes series :3

Lending aohige wise word in Basquash.. I dont care about story, I just here for Mio's moe
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-05-20, 02:57   Link #219
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Thanks Midnight. I suppose the show's going to stay short and sweet for the maximum impact over its fans.
Old 2009-05-20, 03:03   Link #220
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Thanks Midnight. I suppose the show's going to stay short and sweet for the maximum impact over its fans.
And it should follow the fine tradition of Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch: the later parts of the manga turning out to be more awesome than the anime itself.