Notices

Old 2020-08-21, 06:50   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

One more month then, I can't wait!
Old 2020-08-30, 22:14   Link #62
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I finally finished this. I saw somebody's write-up about it and all I know was that it was about a bunch of crooks, then I watched the first episode and started binge watching it.

I've watched quite a number of heist series and films, so I was going into this with high expectations on how they are going to handle the believably of the plot. I'd say the series has reasonably met my expectations with a few exceptions.

The first arc is the first and last episode of the UK tv series Hustle combined. You got a rookie conman being scouted by a veteran group then testing him if he's loyal, only that in this series the internal conflict for Edamame was whether to continue in this line of work, while in Hustle the rookie was not confident enough that he could roll with these legendary conmen. The ending was from the very last episode of the TV show, where they killed themselves off while they escape.

I was going to say that the use of a large number of other people, the twist that the police investigating the con were part of the plan and the shooting scene in the end of the first arc were taken from a popular 70s movie called The Sting, so imagine my surprise when the entire second arc was a re-imagining of the very same movie, only with airplanes instead of horses.

The third arc heist plot is too common to tell where exactly it's from, maybe there's a specific movie or show that had the same plot but I haven't seen it, although Cynthia's background as a failed aspiring stage actress is the same with a female character on a US tv series called Leverage which is about a group of conmen trying to help people through alternative ways, sounds familiar?

The third arc was interesting for Cynthia's background anyway, I was trying to fight back the tears on the second half of episode 13 and the whole of episode 14. It's my favorite arc so far.

Overall what makes this stand out was the background story of the characters, the small mementos they had with them and those magical capsule toys that predict the future. The heist plot might have been done before, but those scenes give it that unique anime twist. The music for the third arc was superb, specifically those that play during the Cynthia Thomas scenes.

If I had to point out flaws in this it would be that on the heist plot side, they relied too much on reverse psychology tricks on the second arc, also that part where the older brother was asking Edamame for advice isn't that believable. Emphasis has been placed with this kind of story on making the victim think that he was the one who came up with the plan, since telling the victim what to do could make them reject the suggestion, or become suspicious of the one who came up with the plan. The payoff for all that work for the second and third arcs was too little to compensate or justify the expenditures they had incurred. Building an entire racing team would've been more expensive than 2.5m Singaporean dollars they got from Ibrahim, and while they got the painting back in the third arc it wouldn't have justified the cost of that villa and the rental of all those luxury cars.

While I'm not a fan of any kind of war, I don't think any country dropped a bomb on civilians unannounced during the 2nd Iraq war, and they never used child soldiers (maybe?) since that's more Central Africa's style. Their plan also relied on things that can't be reliably predicted, like how Edamame would've reacted after eating the candy, or Abbie's almost accidents while on the plane. Cynthia going overboard with 100m euros was also ill advised, because it was not part of the plan. Finally, they should not have used their real name to con people, apparently everyone's using their real name when dealing with victims. Even when using an alias, they should've treated their names like toilet paper, use once then discard.

In the end though, I feel that these "flaws" were there not because they were left in, but were deliberately placed there for the audiences' entertainment, part of the anime twist I was referring to earlier.

TL;DR
I really liked it and can't wait for the 4th arc about Thierry.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-31, 01:39   Link #63
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You do know there are 9 episodes left, right?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-31, 01:46   Link #64
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You do know there are 9 episodes left, right?
uhh since the comment above mine says "I can't wait" and the TLDR at the bottom of my post says I'm waiting for the Thierry arc then.. yes?

When I said I finished this I meant I finished all the currently released episodes.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-31, 04:28   Link #65
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

OK, I missed that part LOL.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-04, 22:32   Link #66
Decel

Great series. Everything is so sharp (animation, graphics, story) I kind of want Netflix to sponsor a lot more shows now.
Old 2020-09-24, 16:03   Link #67
EroKing

Episodes 15-23 came out recently and it did not disappoint at all. Dat last con job. Dat last scene after the credits. 10/10!
Old 2020-09-26, 14:54   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Episodes 15-23 came out recently and it did not disappoint at all. Dat last con job. Dat last scene after the credits. 10/10!
I thought you were talking about the raw, I didn't think the English subs would be out so soon! Netflix JP uploaded them quickly this time.
Old 2020-09-26, 21:00   Link #69
Decel

Can't wait to see them on Netflix! I think there's a 2 month gap between region releases?
Old 2020-09-29, 15:22   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finished it. Third best anime I've watched this year.

That said, I did have some issues with the final case:

Spoiler for Case 4 major spoilers:

I really loved the beginning which was pretty damn heavy and the flashback, but I think the case kind of fell apart in the last third. A shame. The show was almost perfect.

In any case, this is definitely the best anime original series Netflix has produced. Some might even say the only good one...
Old 2020-09-29, 18:14   Link #71
Wandering Soul

Overall I liked the series and it was fun ride, though I have some issues with the 4th case that Kanon pretty much sums up above. The show didnot quite stick the landing, but it didnot ruin what came before and was still one of the better anime I watched this year.
Old 2020-09-30, 22:03   Link #72
Irenesharda

I totally didn't realize this series was back!

I want to savor this though, so I'm just going to look at one episode at a time.

Ep 15:

Why the heck won't this boy learn? Has he never watched the godfather? Doesn't he know he can never escape?

Spoiler for plot:

Despite the 5 min retread of the past 3 arcs, this was a good return to the series. I wish it wasn't so broken up and more people would talk about and react to this show, but I'm just so happy to see it back.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-01, 06:34   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That's why I hate Netflix's batch release policy. It kills all discussion. Nevermind the fact they don't even release the show worldwide until months later. I think the only time they released an anime weekly and worldwide was Violet Evergarden. I guess it must not have worked out too well.
Old 2020-10-01, 16:44   Link #74
Irenesharda

Episode 16-17

Honestly, this feels more like Edamame's arc than it does Laurent's.

Spoiler for plot:

Also, an interesting juxtaposition with Edamame beginning to grow more and more accustomed to his new life, and him taking up smoking and Abby growing more and more distant from him.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-10-01, 18:22   Link #75
Irenesharda

Ep 18-19

They've done this to you before Edamame, honestly, you should get used to it. But also...
It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all....

Spoiler for plot:

I also wonder how Makoto will take all of this?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-10-01, 21:53   Link #76
Irenesharda

Ep 20 - 23

This was such a rollercoaster but I can't say I was bored for a minute! I love this series!

It would have been perfect except for one thing I didn't care for. But other than that I loved it. Especially that ending!
Spoiler for plot:

Loved this series and I really hope we get a second season to see the gang go on even more adventures. There was definitely set up for more. Also, I MUST have that soundtrack! One of the best parts of the whole series.

I'd give this a 9/10.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-10-02, 15:41   Link #77
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Spoiler for plot:
Spoiler:
Old 2020-10-02, 18:44   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Spoiler:
I was wondering who that was too. He's based on Steven Seagal IIRC.
Old 2020-10-03, 23:25   Link #79
Irenesharda

Just got a chance to watch the dub, and I have to say it really works for this series. But then again, I've found that works most times the series takes place overseas or in a more western setting.

Like how you can really hear the different accents here and there, plus of course the other languages used.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-10-04, 03:48   Link #80
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Finally finished the last arc and there's a LOT of things to ponder. Of course, among them is the "long con" Laurent prepared for Makoto. Among the things the Confidence Men are known for are plans that are so over-the-top that even the other Confidence Men are anxious about the smallest mistake. After all "one mistake and you go down". Laurent's scouting of him and the gradual grooming of his "successor" (in terms of being exposed to all kinds of shit) really went to the next level by making Makoto live through seeing Abby and Cynthia die and having him stuck as one of the most trusted members of the Suzaku Group with survivor's guilt setting in. I know how much of this has been experienced by Laurent himself, but why put a guy through all that?

That aside, the show was a nice ride all throughout. The strong Western movie references and international settings were a refreshing experience, although I think I'm fine without a sequel to this, assuming that this show is an adaptation.

ENTRY #379 GET.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conmen