AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2008-04-01, 21:14   Link #61
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshiroth View Post
Thanks much, appreciate it. Happen to know where I could buy a boxed set? (completely off topic but might as well ask) I'm interested in buying it (thats rare for me ^^) but i keep seeing all these limited edition things, and then in separate. What do you guys recommend I buy?
There is no boxed set yet. The last DVD in Japan just came out last week, so if you find a boxed set anywhere right now, it would be a bootleg. You'd have no choice but to buy the singles for the moment.
CSakuraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 22:23   Link #62
Sesshiroth

Hahaha....bootleg is something i do not know of :/ Anywho, singles work fine, but what do YOU recommend? The limited editions seem VERY tempting, but I cant get the first one either way T_T
Sesshiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 22:31   Link #63
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Uh, well, personally? I'm waiting for ADV to release the DVDs in the USA, whenever that may be, and just hope that they include all the extras that came with the Japanese versions (minus perhaps the drama CD that came with Limited Edition DVD 5, but I've already heard that, so). I'm gonna have to wait longer, but it'll much cheaper overall. Besides, I can't play Japanese DVDs on my DVD player.
Old 2008-04-01, 22:34   Link #64
Sesshiroth

Might do that, but since I'm not in the US it might cost more...and on top of that it will come with english dubbing hisssssss they will have the original language correct? I know enough japanese to be able to watch shows, thats why im curious about buying it NOW lol ^^
Old 2008-04-01, 22:40   Link #65
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshiroth View Post
Might do that, but since I'm not in the US it might cost more...and on top of that it will come with english dubbing hisssssss they will have the original language correct? I know enough japanese to be able to watch shows, thats why im curious about buying it NOW lol ^^
Well, if you aren't in the US and want them NOW, then getting the Japanese singles might be better for you? We still have no idea when ADV is even going to release the first DVD. :/ (And yes, they will have the original language.)
Old 2008-04-01, 22:42   Link #66
Sesshiroth

its really tempting man, I just dont know what would be better. There are no guarantees of what is going to happen regarding the DVD sets, and who knows if those Limited Editions will even be done again? Its a tough choice...i hate choices -_-
Old 2008-04-15, 12:02   Link #67
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
can someone tell me what this anime is like.....I'm like one of the few who hasn't seen it.
I've heard it's quite a hoot...but I dont like the gundam series and i've heard of it as somewhat similar.....
but then again some people say it's totally opposite.
and what about the fan-service. Im not much one for ecchi or OVERLY excessive fan-service. but I hear this anime has "just the right amount"

so.......lies?truth.......is what i've heard wrong? anyone else care to elaborate more?
(i ask for honest opinions later on since everyone was like crazy about this anime for a long time)
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 12:13   Link #68
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
can someone tell me what this anime is like.....I'm like one of the few who hasn't seen it.
I've heard it's quite a hoot...but I dont like the gundam series and i've heard of it as somewhat similar.....
but then again some people say it's totally opposite.
and what about the fan-service. Im not much one for ecchi or OVERLY excessive fan-service. but I hear this anime has "just the right amount"

so.......lies?truth.......is what i've heard wrong? anyone else care to elaborate more?
(i ask for honest opinions later on since everyone was like crazy about this anime for a long time)
It's awesome, that's what it is. And it's nothing at all like Gundam. The only thing it has in common is that they both have robots.

The fanservice isn't overly excessive either. It's mostly just Yoko...

Watch this show.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 20:22   Link #69
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Lol ah yes yoko. she is the bouncy one I suppose.
meh i dont mind as long as it's not like ALL the time lol.
or if it gets really ecchi... (aka Rosario+Vampire infinity pantsu shots) then i do mind.

but it looks to be a pretty epic show
Old 2008-04-15, 20:30   Link #70
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
Lol ah yes yoko. she is the bouncy one I suppose.
meh i dont mind as long as it's not like ALL the time lol.
or if it gets really ecchi... (aka Rosario+Vampire infinity pantsu shots) then i do mind.

but it looks to be a pretty epic show
Shows like R+V were tailored to be loaded with ecchi fanservice. Shows like TTGL were tailored to be loaded with epic win. There is a big difference.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 21:22   Link #71
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

lol true....
from what i've seen in screenshots it seems more the type of
ZOMG Yuko's hawt lets zoom in.
ok more action and explosions and pointing at random things

Btw finally saw the ending. Whuts the deal with Viral..i saw his dream sequence in ep 26 (made me BAWWW)
and is that his family? i guess....?
he seemed to turn out to be a good guy in the end. pretty cool they made him like a secondary main character!

Last edited by MercFH; 2008-04-18 at 04:59.
Old 2008-05-19, 17:03   Link #72
TheRainbowConnection

Hi there. Quick question:

What does "Lagann" mean?

I took "Gurren" to be equivalent to "guren", which means red or crimson, which makes a lot of sense, actually. Given that, I figure "Lagann" (or something close to it) also had to have some meaning.

Thanks.
TheRainbowConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 17:21   Link #73
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection View Post

What does "Lagann" mean?

I took "Gurren" to be equivalent to "guren", which means red or crimson, which makes a lot of sense, actually. Given that, I figure "Lagann" (or something close to it) also had to have some meaning.

Thanks.
"Lagann" means "Enveloping Face".

"Gurren" means "Crimson Lotus".

From the Wikipedia page.
Old 2008-05-20, 04:52   Link #74
TheRainbowConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

From the Wikipedia page.
Ah, thank you!
TheRainbowConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 16:38   Link #75
TemporalKnight

Does anyone have a good explanation for why
Spoiler for Boota:

Also just curiously, what does "Tengen Toppa" mean?

Last edited by TemporalKnight; 2008-08-23 at 16:59.
TemporalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 06:21   Link #76
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalKnight View Post
Does anyone have a good explanation for why
Spoiler for Boota:

Also just curiously, what does "Tengen Toppa" mean?
It was a sudden powerup, a hyper mode, something like how Gurren Lagann gets repaired in battle but remains damaged after battle. The Spiral grants you powers when you need it, it makes you invincible when you need it, its gives you the energu you need to do the impossible. When you don't need it, you don't invoke it. Its not a power that will help you ressurect the dead and make them stay alive. And yes, I'm saying the power may even be possible to ressurect Kamina and Nia, but they won't be around permanent.

Tengen Toppa, 天元突破: Literally means 'breaking through the heavens'. I'm sure you have guessed its something along these lines, ever since Kamina said that Simon is the drill that will pierce the heavens.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 07:23   Link #77
failedninja
yoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection View Post

What does "Lagann" mean?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

From the Wikipedia page.
Actually, I have another possible answer for the meaning of "Lagann".

Recently Gainax revealed what I see to be the real meaning of the title with the movie titles, 紅蓮篇(guren hen) and 螺巌篇(ragan hen)

紅蓮 : means crimson lotus.
螺巌 : 螺(ra) means spiral/screw, 巌(gan) means mountain/large rock

Of course these are just movie titles, I think that the creators of Gurren Lagann intended it to have multiple meanings, puns if you will.
Example: 愚連(guren) means tough gang
failedninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:12   Link #78
9taileddemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Now is the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann the biggest robot in history now? Because it seems to me that it is bigger then Getter Emperor, which I heard could squash a planet. Gainax seems to love making robot big, Gunubster was 200m, Diebuster was a planet size, and Tengen Tppa Gurren Lagann is just freaking huge.
Doubt anytone cares at this point but Wikipedia lists Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as being 10 million Light years tall.

Normally that would seem unbelievable but this is spiral energy we are talking about. Also they are already in a universe that has been created by the antispiral and they are fighting a god who can use Schrodinger warps and alter probablility. The whole 10 million light years is just used to explain how they are throwing GALAXIES as Shruiken.

Its Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Laws of physics do not apply. Spiral Energy does all the work.
9taileddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 09:23   Link #79
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Since its talking about size and Getter Emperor is in the quote.

Firstly yes, TTGL is 10million light years tall, its straight from the fanbooks. The exact number is 10^25 metres tall, which is 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 metres tall.

Getter Emperor on the other hand never had a measured size, all but 1 frame in the manga. Which the humongous monstrosity is shown emerging from the middle of a galaxy up till waist height and its arm span is larger than that galaxy.

But theoretically, if it can be theoretical, both intergalatic giants are unlimted in size. TTGL or I should say Lagann is as large as you can gather Spiral Energy. Getter Emperor is as large as there is Getter Rays.

These guys would both share the largest manifestations of mass in the universe until GAINAX can bring us out of this universe.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 15:29   Link #80
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I can suddenly see robots throwing universes at each other.