AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-02-26, 12:47   Link #1
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

ipconfig Q

my family each has their own laptop and connected by wireless connection. If i plug the modem directly to my comp and do a "/ipconfig release or /ipconfig renew" then i reconnect the modem to router,will it affect my family's connection??

note: please do not ask for reason why i wanna do this.

basically its like

1) unplug from router and connect modem to my comp
2) do ipconfig/renew or release
3) plug back the modem cable to router

will it affect my family's connection due to the IP changes in modem?
Old 2012-02-26, 15:13   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
1) unplug from router and connect modem to my comp
2) do ipconfig/renew or release
3) plug back the modem cable to router
I have no clue what you're trying to accomplish here. If you follow these steps, your computer will be assigned a public IP address. It probably won't be the same address as the one your router had assigned to it because the "MAC" address of your network card will be different than the router's.

Regardless, once you connect the cable back to the router, it will initiate a new DHCP request and get a public address. Perhaps it will get the address it had before, perhaps not. People using the router should not be affected except during the time the router is disconnected from the modem.

But what's the point here? Your computer will have a useless public IP address assigned after you unplug the connection to the modem. Your only method for connecting back to the Internet will be to connect to the router as you did before, and then you'll get an address on the private side of the router in a block like 192.168.1.0/24.

Regardless of your asking us not to question your motivation here, I'm going to ask anyway since I doubt you will accomplish whatever goal you intend. If you're trying to run torrents, you should be looking into port forwarding through your router, not connecting your computer directly to the Internet.

If you decide for whatever reason to connect your computer directly to the modem, make darn sure you have all firewalls up and running and blocking all inbound connections to your computer. If you just want to know what public IP address is assigned to your router, use any computer to visit whatismyipaddress.com.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-02-26 at 19:35.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 17:01   Link #3
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^I have a router, but it's NAT is disabled and I'm using public ip. I don't get what the fuss is about it being -not safe- if you're not behind a router. Been like this for years .. Times my PC got messed up by attacks because of it : 0

Still, I agree you with other points here. I have no idea what he is trying to accomplish and I doubt whatever it is, he will by doing this.

In any case, I'm pretty sure doing ipconfig doesn't do anything with the router but resets the adapter instead, which isn't your router.
Old 2012-02-26, 19:39   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
^I have a router, but it's NAT is disabled and I'm using public ip. I don't get what the fuss is about it being -not safe- if you're not behind a router.
Do you have the Windows firewall activated?

Do you use Windows file sharing? Are ports 137-139 and 445 exposed to the world so that people can browse your shares?

Have you ever scanned your PC from another machine on the Internet with a tool like nmap? What did it find?

Perhaps he's using an old unpatched version of XP with exposed ports and vulnerable services.
Old 2012-02-27, 01:56   Link #5
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Yes.
No.
I don't know .. maybe? If NAT is disabled, wouldn't they be open by default?
No.

Dunno about Windows firewall but my AV has taken care of everything .. Truly worth of paying for. (NOD32 Security Suite). All I know is that my pc is not infected or has never been.. so I dunno what you even mean by people browsing my shares..
Old 2012-02-27, 08:31   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
All I know is that my pc is not infected or has never been.. so I dunno what you even mean by people browsing my shares..
Well you are running Windows firewall so your computer is not really exposed to external machines.

As for browsing, if you don't use Windows file sharing, it doesn't matter. I'm talking about the situation where people share directories over the network and aren't protected against possible connections to those shared directories over the Internet. If you logged random probes on the Internet like I have, you'll see machines out there scanning for open Windows file sharing ports along with other Windows exploits. Most of these are fixed in the latest service packs or more recent versions of Windows, but there are still thousands of vulnerable Windows machines around the world. Machines running pirated Windows versions are especially at-risk since they're typically never updated with later service packs.

You may not have personal experience with any of these issues, but believe me, they're real. The fact that you use Windows firewall protects you against most of this. But if you had connected your computer directly to the public Internet and had disabled the firewall, your experience might have been quite different.

We've veered pretty far off topic here, though. I'm done with this thread unless the OP returns to tell us what he or she is trying to do.