AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 14:29   Link #141
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Comedy is personal. I don't find every episode hilarious, but generally the tone of the comedy here is a good match for my tastes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 14:32   Link #142
Utsuro no Hako

Sasako looked so nice in her swim-wear. Too bad nobody invited Handa along.

The coffee bean stuff didn't do much for me -- the new human customer just wasn't as interesting as the last one who freaked out over the animals being in a cafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticPulsar View Post
Do people actually find this show funny?
Yes, hilarious.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 14:42   Link #143
Kirarakim

Quote:
Do people actually find this show funny? Pretty much this anime shows that an anime can be about anything and people would still watch it. It's by far the worst "cafe/bar/restaurant/" anime I have ever watched.As for relaxation, Bartender did a better job in that aspect than Shirokuma Cafe. The show pretty much has nothing going for it except a bunch of animals hanging out and doing nothing.
Okay you don't like the show and clearly your taste is superior to everyone else's...moving on.
Old 2012-08-09, 14:59   Link #144
GalacticPulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay you don't like the show and clearly your taste is superior to everyone else's...moving on.
Nope I never actually said that. I don't think that either.I'm just surprised that a decent amount of people are watching this show.
GalacticPulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:11   Link #145
Kirarakim

Quote:
Nope I never actually said that. I don't think that either.I'm just surprised that a decent amount of people are watching this show.
But you did say this show proves "that people will watch anything" that is a pretty demeaning comment.

I understand that this show isn't for everyone, no show is (and comedy is especially subjective) but just because other people enjoy a show you don't doesn't mean they will watch anything.

Perhaps we enjoy this show because we get something out of it you don't. On my part I find it funny and charming. It ultimately makes me happy. I also don't see it as a just a show about "animals doing a nothing" but a show about animals doing things that humans do from an animal perspective. This in itself is absurd but the series sometimes highlights the absurdities of what we as humans do.

Sorry if my response to you was curt but I felt your post was not very nice.
Old 2012-08-09, 15:28   Link #146
GalacticPulsar

Quote:
I understand that this show isn't for everyone, no show is (and comedy is especially subjective) but just because other people enjoy a show you don't doesn't mean they will watch anything.
First of all, I never said that the people who watch Shirokuma Cafe will watch anything. I was only commenting on Shirokuma Cafe shows that every anime no matter how obscure it is (and I consider Shirokuma Cafe a relatively obscure anime). it will always attract a niche audience(ofc this is nothing new).

Quote:
Sorry if my response to you was curt but I felt your post was not very nice
Obviously my post was not "very nice". I wasn't trying to be nice. I'm not insulting anyone though. It's clear I don't like the show. I just want to understand what people like about the show but it seems like I shouldn't have bothered.

The panda bear is imo the worst character of the show. There are no redeeming qualities about his selfish lazy self centered personality.

Last edited by GalacticPulsar; 2012-08-09 at 15:40.
GalacticPulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:42   Link #147
Kirarakim

Quote:
First of all, I never said that the people who watch Shirokuma Cafe will watch anything. I was only commenting on Shirokuma Cafe shows that every anime no matter how obscure it is (and I consider Shirokuma Cafe a relatively obscure anime). it will always attract a niche audience(ofc this is nothing new).
Well I apologize but that was not how I interpreted your post.

Is Polar Bear Cafe niche? Yes! Is it more niche than most anime? Honestly I don't really see it.

Quote:
I just want to understand what people like about the show but it seems like I shouldn't have bothered.
Well perhaps that is the problem right there. You don't like the show hence even if people explain to you what they like about it you probably won't get it. Trust me there are a lot of shows that people love that I can't stand. I don't understand it either, except it is a matter of taste.

Quote:
The panda bear is the worst character of the show. There areno redeeming qualities about his selfish lazy self centered personality.
Actually I love the panda because he is the perfect representation of a teenager to me. Many of the things he does come off as selfish but he certainly doesn't mean to be (and he has moments of real kindess, think of the Tanabata episode and Mr. Handa).

I don't know I remember what it was like to be a teenager. You might think I was never like that but I think there is always a little self-centerness in youth and that is fine because that is part of being a kid and not having responsibility (enjoy it while it lasts). In a sense Panda fills me with nostalgia and he also makes me laugh at how I probably used to be myself (just maybe a little less extreme).
Old 2012-08-16, 12:29   Link #148
Utsuro no Hako

Episode 20 is just about perfect. You got Panda torturing Penguin for the first half, then the whole gang (plus a shota panda) is out for a good time in the second half, complete with Grizzly/Panda antics and some cute moments with Handa and Sasako.
Old 2012-08-16, 15:45   Link #149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The kawaii animals on this show just keep coming. Red Panda-kun!

Panda-kun is now unrealistically dreaming of living on his own, instead of running away. Does that mean he's matured - with teenaged fantasies instead of grade-school ones?
Old 2012-08-16, 20:57   Link #150
Kirarakim

At this point Handa & Sasako might be my favorite couple of the year, so freaking cute.

Surprised Panda wasn't jealous of Red Panda that thing oozed cute. But then again I guess since they share bamboo info.

And Butler Penguin was hilarious. I am continuously glad his part in the series has been expanding as of late.
Old 2012-08-17, 01:23   Link #151
Nerroth
NePoi!

I especially liked the bit when
Spoiler for ep 20:
Old 2012-08-17, 01:42   Link #152
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
I especially liked the bit when
Spoiler for ep 20:
Grizzly Bear is actually a teddy bear at heart - like many GAR biker-dude types in anime, he's actually all warm and cuddly underneath the shock and awe.
Old 2012-08-17, 19:11   Link #153
Ambulator

I do think the author was right to insist on proper drawing in this anime. I continually find myself amazed at the detail in the scenes. Four fingers on a bear would just be wrong.
Ambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 21:58   Link #154
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
At this point Handa & Sasako might be my favorite couple of the year, so freaking cute.
Cutest couple by far, but Handa still falls into the bashful-school-boy-who-can't-confess-his-feelings trope despite not being a school boy. At this point I have to place Urabe/Tsubaki from Mysterious Girlfriend X, Jenny/Lynn from Moretsu Pirates and Sakakibara/Misaki from Another ahead of them simply because their relationships went somewhere.
Old 2012-08-18, 02:41   Link #155
Blaat

Kanade/Tsutomu from Chihayafuru is the cutest couple to beat though.
Old 2012-08-18, 06:02   Link #156
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Cutest couple by far, but Handa still falls into the bashful-school-boy-who-can't-confess-his-feelings trope despite not being a school boy. At this point I have to place Urabe/Tsubaki from Mysterious Girlfriend X, Jenny/Lynn from Moretsu Pirates and Sakakibara/Misaki from Another ahead of them simply because their relationships went somewhere.
I should clarify that I meant from what I've personally seen. Although unfortunately Sakakibara/Misaki were somewhat ruined for me because of the ending of the series.

I have heard excellent things about Mysterious Girlfriend X but I have not seen it.

And Blaat Kanade/Tsutomu are cute but I feel there isn't much on them yet. I expect that will be pushed forward more in the 2nd season.

But back to Handa/Sasako I don't actually see Handa as a bashful school boy type. His bashfulness stems from the fact that not only did he probably never have a girlfriend, he probably convinced himself he never would. And as an adult with no experience it might even be realistic that he is so bashful. I think it was a combination with a little push from the animals and seeing Sasako that he at least even thinks about wanting love after pushing that thought aside for so long.

Now I hope Shirokuma Cafe doesn't drag out this romance forever and we will least get some resolution by the end of the anime (the manga might still be ongoing).

Of course the series has not been too bad with resolutions. We got one for the Penko storyline even though it wasn't what I expected. Hopefully Handa will have better luck than penguin.
Old 2012-08-23, 11:16   Link #157
Blaat

Two solid shorts focused on Panda.
Quote:
And Blaat Kanade/Tsutomu are cute but I feel there isn't much on them yet. I expect that will be pushed forward more in the 2nd season.
I feel like there's more to Kanade/Tsutomu as a couple than Handa/Sasako so far at least. While the former is still in budding stage where neither of them realising their feelings I do feel like it's a matter of when and not if they get together. While with the latter it's just the complete opposite, sure Handa has crush but so far it's completely one sided. Certainly Sasako is nice to Handa-san but she's nice to everyone and sometimes being nice means just that.
Old 2012-08-23, 12:03   Link #158
Utsuro no Hako

The most important lesson every man must learn -- the waitress is never really flirting with you.

Anyway, episode 21 raises an important question -- if a human who fantasizes about anthropomorphized animals is a furry, what is it when an anthropomorphized animal fantasizes about humans?
Old 2012-08-23, 13:53   Link #159
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

More Mei Mei is always a good thing (though I was hoping we’d see the panda babies, too). Her sibling relationship with Panda-kun comes off as surprisingly normal, actually, though her infatuation with “Prince Han” clearly doesn’t (and that’s not even worrying about the species thing). Even allowing for Handa-san’s strong points (reliable, kind, clean) he hardly seems like the type that the Tiger Beat (Panda Beat?) crowd would go for. I like Handa-san but I’ve pretty much given up hope for him as anything but a hopeless case – I mean really, folding shopping bags into tiny triangles? Refusing a tea invitation by saying you have to get to the store to buy a light bulb for the john? Obviously the Mei Mei thing isn’t going anywhere, but that kind of cluelessness isn’t going to be much help in courting Sasako-san.
Old 2012-08-23, 15:02   Link #160
Blaat

After reading your blog post Enzo I realized that it's actually shocking that the the lady behind the desk thought Handa and Badger were newly weds. That does imply that society in shirokuma cafe accepts cross species marriage?

Tags
comedy, josei