AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-09-14, 00:20   Link #141
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Yeeees vol 4 is finally out~ I been looking forward to it all month ~
Go go go!

Currently at the part where Tigre and Rurrick have a close moment together. Pretty awe inspiring...but I hope this isn't setting Rurrick up for a death flag or anything of the sort. ;_;
Old 2012-09-14, 05:42   Link #142
EnigmaticAxiom

I'm still reading through volume 1. Since 2 was summarized in detail, I'll go to 3 afterward. Dammit, wanna read more
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 05:47   Link #143
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
I'm still reading through volume 1. Since 2 was summarized in detail, I'll go to 3 afterward. Dammit, wanna read more
I'll advise you not to skip Volume 2 just because it's been summarized. The summaries, while rather detailed to an extent, left some details out here and there that makes the story feel more alive and the characters more resonant. For example, Lyudmila's attitude. She's not your typical snobbish noble stereotype; far from it, but the summaries have omitted the small details that Tigre noticed to point her true character out near the end.

It's very much worth reading from start to finish.
Old 2012-09-14, 09:17   Link #144
willx
Nyaaan~~

It's interesting that this LN attracts such high praises, but other than Florza who so kindly started this project as a teaser, I don't think there's been much interest in people translating it.. which is a tad disappointing.. I did hear that some people like reading it for pure enjoyment, and that translating it might turn it into "work" so they don't want to do it
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:25   Link #145
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
It's interesting that this LN attracts such high praises, but other than Florza who so kindly started this project as a teaser, I don't think there's been much interest in people translating it.. which is a tad disappointing.. I did hear that some people like reading it for pure enjoyment, and that translating it might turn it into "work" so they don't want to do it
Well, I can tell you the Chinese light novel community didn't hold it in really high regards early on. The first two volumes seemed too echhi and harem like for some people's taste. The translator (a female btw) of the first two volumes dropped the work because there was too much "skin" for her taste. It wasn't until the last 3 or 4 months that the project was picked up again (with considerably higher reviews this time).

Yes, there are the nude scenes (walking into a naked Ellen, Lumirada, Sophia, etc) and the harem aspect, but those take a background role compared to the action, strategy, and political machination.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:28   Link #146
Belgaesh

Quote:
In the poll in BT for Code-Zero next project, Madan no Ou only got 20 votes being mine one of them. It's such a shame that a series good as this it's not recognized as it should.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:33   Link #147
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Well, I can tell you the Chinese light novel community didn't hold it in really high regards early on. The first two volumes seemed too echhi and harem like for some people's taste. The translator (a female btw) of the first two volumes dropped the work because there was too much "skin" for her taste. It wasn't until the last 3 or 4 months that the project was picked up again (with considerably higher reviews this time).

Yes, there are the nude scenes (walking into a naked Ellen, Lumirada, Sophia, etc) and the harem aspect, but those take a background role compared to the action, strategy, and political machination.
MF Bunko knows that fanservice sells...and unfortunately, that's why they emphasize it so much with the colored pages. I mean, just look at any MF Bunko LN, and most of the time the colored pages are sheer fanservice meant to lure people in. While it might hold some truth to some of their haremy, lovecom-y series, Vanadis suffers from it because people end up dismissing it as another harem title and then miss out on a great medieval political war story.

Plus, while this series is indeed REALLY fun to read as a hobby, translating it ends up as a chore because of the sheer clusterfuck of the names. It would REALLY help if MF Bunko did something with Vanadis like what Ichijinsha does with Thousand to Aegis, which is also by the same author, Kawaguchi Tsukasa. But I doubt they care, which...sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
In the poll in BT for Code-Zero next project, Madan no Ou only got 20 votes being mine one of them. It's such a shame that a series good as this it's not recognized as it should.
There was really very little material to promote Vanadis with during the time of the poll, aside from whatever available illustrations were accessible after a quick google search. One glance at the naked Vanadis ladies, and they probably just dismissed it as sheer harem.

Not everyone also had/has access to the summaries made by zephyr from jcafe, which would have definitely perked interest up for it.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-09-14 at 10:30.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 10:48   Link #148
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
Checked up the jp wiki 'cause of a friend's request, my eyes ended up catching a line or two and now I've been bothered by this tidbit for a while now. So here's a question to those who have read Volume 5. Because it is really, really bothering me.

Spoiler for Don't bother opening me if you have no idea who Drechvach (ドレカヴァク) is in this series. I'm serious. Otherwise it's just going to open another can of worms, people are going to ask for more information, summaries plz, gimme spoilers plz. and all that, etc., tons of inane speculations out the wazoo, so DON'T.:

Not that I want to spoil myself, because I don't ever get spoiled very easily.
Spoiler for Semi-Summary of Volume 5:

Last edited by whsie; 2012-09-14 at 11:16. Reason: Name correction.
Old 2012-09-14, 10:59   Link #149
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
OH MY.. Tigre/Tigul finally gets some recognition .. which means it's setting everything up for EVEN MORE conflict to come! Man.. I wish I could read this myself.. I think I'll whip out some Japanese dictionaries and give it a shot with my Pre-Kindergarten level skills..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 11:04   Link #150
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Thank you so much for the very detailed response, as it contained the answer to my question (Valentina picking up the two you-know-whos). By Greast I was referring to his subordinate, the one who was making creepy advances on Eleonora in Volume 3 Chapter 2 right before the "forest ambush" battle; Tenaldie was the other noble. I blame you not, though, as I'm sure you can attest to just how utterly CONFUSING the names are in this series.

It might be presumptuous of me to say it at this point seeing as I'm just in Volume 3 Chapter 3, and I know this has been already repeated time and time again, but seriously. Just from reading those alone, one can already get the idea just how the actions taken during volume 4 brought about the situations in volume 5 (and vice versa with the actions taken in volume 3 regarding volume 4, and so on). It needs no reiteration at this point, but seriously, this world's "domino effect" is just really remarkable.

Quote:
OH MY.. Tigre/Tigul finally gets some recognition .. which means it's setting everything up for EVEN MORE conflict to come! Man.. I wish I could read this myself.. I think I'll whip out some Japanese dictionaries and give it a shot with my Pre-Kindergarten level skills..
Just reading about it actually brings me to near tears, really. The only ones who really recognized Tigre for his outstanding characteristics are the Vanadis and the people of Zhcted (and even then it was not immediate as evidenced by Lyudmila taking quite a huge dislike of Tigre initially), as well as his enemies; but to his own country, he continued to be viewed as a traitor and a paragon of shame. Despite heroic acts such as repulsing forces even up to 10 times larger than his own troops.

Reading about him getting the recognition he FINALLY deserves is just...wow. *sniffs* I'm sure I'll be much more emotionally driven once I read about the whole thing myself, but I'm glad with this development.
Old 2012-09-14, 11:09   Link #151
whsie

Yeah, the names has me spinning in circles. Need to go change the names. And yeah, Greast is a creep, but also extremely sharp. He essentially coerced Tigre into a no-win situation. Tigre could either be the "invader" or have his land pillaged.

Also,
Spoiler for something about Ganlon:

Last edited by whsie; 2012-09-14 at 11:20.
Old 2012-09-14, 12:02   Link #152
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Yeah, the names has me spinning in circles. Need to go change the names. And yeah, Greast is a creep, but also extremely sharp. He essentially coerced Tigre into a no-win situation. Tigre could either be the "invader" or have his land pillaged.
At first I was ecstatic over Tigre's victory against Greast's, because of the way he turned the enemy general's expectations against them plus his own tactic's ingenuity. I was smiling from ear to ear at that point. Then it switched to Greast's POV, and with all the stuff he mentioned, at first I was a bit dismayed to find out that he had "accomplished his duty" there. It felt like it cheapened the victory as it was actually what Greast, send there by Ganlon, was meant to achieve.

And then it hit me, after I just remembered that Roland was on the march. This was definitely not good for Tigre in EVERY way, as:
1) It would cement him as a traitor who is willingly collaborating with foreign agents on their own soil in Roland's eyes;
2) Considering the military prowess of the Navarle Knights (THE best of the best, and with Roland leading them no less), the morale gained from Tigre's "victory" against Greast might be used against them once they go against the knights and they might end up harshly demoralized.

That maneuvering was just...wow. Brilliiantly devious. Granted, I've yet to hit the battle (I just arrived at the part where Sophia meets Tigre for the first time), so I don't know just how true these assumptions of mine are.

Quote:
Also,
Spoiler for something about Ganlon:
Regarding this,

Spoiler for You might want to get some popcorn and some drinks; this might be a bit long:

PS. A bit off-tangent, I digress, but this series should have a disclaimer on it or something along the lines of: WARNING: If you came here because of the boobies and the fanservice on the colored pages, you should turn back ASAP. Prepare to be bored by political intrigues and maneuverings along with medieval warfare at every turn, as well as characters who are not strictly bound to their perceived archetypes. This is about as far away from shounen and harem as you can get; you have been warned. Because otherwise a lot of people coming into this series based on the cover pages alone are going to be disappointed.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-09-14 at 13:02.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 14:48   Link #153
blackwhite67
Banned

What can Valentine's viralt do?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 21:11   Link #154
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
My own Japanese comprehension is nowhere even near good, and I admit that it's lacking. But I'd like to think that the desire to read stuff like this is a good opportunity to hone and learn more about the language.

I highly suggest picking up whatever furigana the story drops. You can also make use of sites like these to look up words down to their multiple radicals, since Vanadis doesn't provide much furigana regarding commonly-used kanjis most of the time.

It might take some time and your reading is going to feel a bit sluggish, but it is very much worth the effort once the ball gets rolling.
Old 2012-09-14, 21:13   Link #155
blackwhite67
Banned

Whatever happened to Prince/Princess Legunas? I know she met Tigre, right?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 21:19   Link #156
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
This series seems full of brutality eh? They didn't hesitate to show pile of corps everywhere. Even in some parts there are depiction on how limbs chopped off and bodies got torn away. In the middle of war, human lives are ridiculously cheap
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 22:02   Link #157
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
This series seems full of brutality eh? They didn't hesitate to show pile of corps everywhere. Even in some parts there are depiction on how limbs chopped off and bodies got torn away. In the middle of war, human lives are ridiculously cheap
It's not THAT brutal, really.
Old 2012-09-14, 22:08   Link #158
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
@Erhjegel. Could you explain to me the real abilities of [Undefeated Sword Durandal]? Since that weapon capable of making Vanadis possessors like a joke.
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 22:10   Link #159
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
@Erhjegel. Could you explain to me the real abilities of [Undefeated Sword Durandal]? Since that weapon capable of making Vanadis possessors like a joke.
Unfortunately I've yet to reach the battle with Roland, so I can't help you with this.
Old 2012-09-14, 22:14   Link #160
Ddraig

Quote:
This is nothing compare to Akame ga Kiru.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)