AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-04-13, 03:11   Link #421
dragon1412

its say kingdom. And is this thread turnning in to god complaining thread ??
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 03:25   Link #422
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
its say kingdom. And is this thread turnning in to god complaining thread ??
The Chinese version said Empire for some reason. Anyway, the sixth volume suggested that
Spoiler:

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2012-04-13 at 03:45.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 03:44   Link #423
dragon1412

well in japanese you can translate that as kingdom and empire but empire seem in approprite due to its refer to the scale not the system so kingdom is more correct.And well there is also rumour that Restia is a dark siprit king who want revenge toward 5 spirit king but nothing actually confirmed it at this moment.
Old 2012-04-13, 03:50   Link #424
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
well in japanese you can translate that as kingdom and empire but empire seem in approprite due to its refer to the scale not the system so kingdom is more correct.And well there is also rumour that Restia is a dark siprit king who want revenge toward 5 spirit king but nothing actually confirmed it at this moment.
I'd say Kamito and the maou were the spirit king himself. Restia, in both cases, served as their leftenant.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:07   Link #425
dragon1412

Thats just a rumour i heard from some jap forum and board. Curently there is no way to confirm whether its true or not.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:11   Link #426
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Oo I just stumbled on this thread.

They were doing a big promotion for this series at Tora no ana a few weeks ago, so I picked up all 6 novels in Japanese.

I've been shipping Restia this whole time because she seems to have the best relationship with Kamito (when she wasn't evil anyway). The book imo has been giving some pretty huge flags that he was going to dual wield Est and Restia. Evil sword in one hand, holy sword in the other hand.

Question is.... at end of volume 6 something that makes me quite pissed .

Spoiler for Seirei Tsukai:

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 06:27   Link #427
Athena
The Power of One

BTW, Greek gods aren't counted as "cruel" to me. It was just the way things were at that time. In ancient Greece, the civilisation thought justice like this. Plus, Greek gods normally don't expect human sacrifices or such.
Quote:
Thats just a rumour i heard from some jap forum and board. Curently there is no way to confirm whether its true or not.
It is true. End of volume 6.

Edit: Forget it. Thought that you were only talking about the fact Restia has wished for the 5 SKs to die.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:32   Link #428
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
It is true. End of volume 6.

Edit: Forget it. Thought that you were only talking about Restia's wish.
Please clarify. Are you talking about whether Kamito is the dark spirit king or what?
Old 2012-04-13, 06:35   Link #429
Athena
The Power of One

Edited the message. Sorry, misunderstood what you were talking about.
Old 2012-04-13, 07:26   Link #430
Richocet
Lover of Purity

It sounds more plausible that restia might be the SK since she is the one who wants them dead
Richocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 07:48   Link #431
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richocet View Post
It sounds more plausible that restia might be the SK since she is the one who wants them dead
No, from the sixth volume, it's clear that Restia isn't the dark spirit king.
Spoiler:
Restia is more of a loyal servant trying to agitate for the vengeance of her master.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:11   Link #432
Tom Bombadil

hmm, I already explained why スライマン was translated into Solomon in Baka-tsuki forums.

Quote:
The name of the demon king is スライマン , or "Sulaiman" in romanji. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulaiman , it is equivalent to Solomon. So I did it with Solomon in my editing.
Here are the words from wikipedia, as pointed by someone else earlier.
Quote:
Sulaiman was the scriptural figure identified as either the Jewish king of Israel or a Muslim prophet.

Sulaiman is an English transliteration of the Arabic name سليمان that means "man of peace" and corresponds to the English name Solomon.

The word may also be transliterated Solomon.
The novel did mention that the demon king commanded 72 spirits, that's why I thought Solomon was more familiar to the general readers than Sulaiman.

As for Ordesia, the Japanese is オルデシア帝国. For the meaning of the word 帝国, we have

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/je/...%E5%9B%BD/m0u/

Quote:
ていこく【帝国】
an empire帝国の imperial 大英[ローマ]帝国the British [Roman] Empire帝国主義 imperialism帝国主義的 imperialistic帝国主義者...
Old 2012-04-13, 08:25   Link #433
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
As for Ordesia, the Japanese is オルデシア帝国. For the meaning of the word 帝国, we have

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/je/...%E5%9B%BD/m0u/
Well then, Fianna should be titled an Imperial Princess then, not a royal princess.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:42   Link #434
Richocet
Lover of Purity

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
No, from the sixth volume, it's clear that Restia isn't the dark spirit king.
Spoiler:
Restia is more of a loyal servant trying to agitate for the vengeance of her master.
Spoiler for hmm:
Richocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 08:48   Link #435
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Well then, Fianna should be titled an Imperial Princess then, not a royal princess.
Except her title is 第二王女 the second royal princess, rather than 第二皇女 the second imperial princess, (note: they are pronounced in the exact same way in Japanese).

Anyway, I don't think Ordesia empire should be changed to Ordesia kingdom. There are various political entities introduced in later volumes. There is that dragon spirit user from ドラクニア竜公国, where 公国 is a dukedom/principality. There are other teams from some 王国, which is a more literal transliteration of the word "kingdom". Changing it to Ordesia kingdom will just cause (minor) problem later on.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:53   Link #436
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richocet View Post
Spoiler for hmm:
A part of his existence at the very least. That thing took an
Spoiler:
Kamito and co. would have died if not for the new loli. It also wiped out several teams as well. Which was why Restia is not the spirit king, because she's too weak to do it alone.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:07   Link #437
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Except her title is 第二王女 the second royal princess, rather than 第二皇女 the second imperial princess, (note: they are pronounced in the exact same way in Japanese).

Anyway, I don't think Ordesia empire should be changed to Ordesia kingdom. There are various political entities introduced in later volumes. There is that dragon spirit user from ドラクニア竜公国, where 公国 is a dukedom/principality. There are other teams from some 王国, which is a more literal transliteration of the word "kingdom". Changing it to Ordesia kingdom will just cause (minor) problem later on.
well imperial have a bigger meaning than kingdom, imperial refer to both the country and the system while king dom mostly refer to the country so if you translate title then imperial is more correct.
im not a native english speaker so i cant really have a word in this but as i said before, 帝国 can be translate as both kingdom and empire so in this situation to translate into english i think you just choose whatever you feel easier to work with.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:15   Link #438
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
well imperial have a bigger meaning than kingdom, imperial refer to both the country and the system while king dom mostly refer to the country so if you translate title then imperial is more correct.
im not a native english speaker so i cant really have a word in this but as i said before, 帝国 can be translate as both kingdom and empire so in this situation to translate into english i think you just choose whatever you feel easier to work with.
well in chinese, 帝国 means empire. And for most of it's history, Japan insists that it's an empire, the 大日本帝國. Hence, I do believe that empire is more appropriate. Besides, as mentioned there were states in this light novel that were specifically addressed as kingdoms. Also, 帝 means imperial or emperor.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:15   Link #439
KuroiHikari

Quote:
帝都 is also referred to, I believe kingdoms don't refer to that, right?
KuroiHikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 09:42   Link #440
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiHikari View Post
帝都 is also referred to, I believe kingdoms don't refer to that, right?
Hmm? 帝都 【ていと】 (n) imperial capital.

Nowadays, it is common for Chinese ACG fans to use 帝都 to refer to Beijing, and maybe also used by the Japanese fans to refer to Tokyo.

Tags
action, comedy, cross-dressing, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, romance, shounen, supernatural, trap