AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of...

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-25, 11:24   Link #21
X_Danny_X

so
Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-25, 12:07   Link #22
yolin.shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Danny_X View Post
so
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-26, 23:28   Link #23
X_Danny_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolin.shana View Post
Spoiler:
so in the game when it comes down too and rapping things

Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-27, 01:45   Link #24
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Danny_X View Post
so in the game when it comes down too and rapping things

Spoiler:

Spoiler for :

Old 2009-03-28, 10:56   Link #25
X_Danny_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Spoiler for :
Spoiler:
Old 2009-04-16, 14:05   Link #26
Full Metal Jackass
Most Senior Member

any one know who is subing TOTA after GG stoped?
Old 2009-04-16, 14:21   Link #27
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Jackass View Post
any one know who is subing TOTA after GG stoped?
Torrents for Tales of the Abyss

AnimeSuki > Series > Tales of the Abyss
Old 2009-11-30, 15:20   Link #28
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It has been quite some time since this board has seen activity, but with the movie released in theaters for a while now, does anyone know when it will be released on DVD?
Old 2010-02-10, 17:08   Link #29
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
I've just started on the Tales of Eternia anime, and I was wondering if there's a full VA list of it somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I heard a few familiar voices, but I can't confirm this since the sources I tried (MAL/Wiki/Wikia) only list the 4 main characters plus one or two others, but not the ones I want to know.
Old 2013-01-17, 01:53   Link #30
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I don't know if game discussion is allowed in here, but since this is a Q & A topic I figured I would try here first.

I'm just about finished playing through Tales of Symphonia again after about 7 or 8 years since I last have done so. Back then I wasn't that fond of the Tales games and Symphonia was the only one in the series I played to completion.

Now that I'm a bit more fond of the series presently, I was wondering if playing Dawn of the New World would be a good idea? The story of Symphonia is even better than I remember it being and I'm very curious how the story of the sequel is. However I haven't heard very many good things about the game.

The main thing I want to ask, is the story worth slogging through all the bad gameplay aspects it has? Because if it isn't, I may not bother in the first place.
Old 2013-01-17, 03:59   Link #31
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I don't know if game discussion is allowed in here, but since this is a Q & A topic I figured I would try here first.

I'm just about finished playing through Tales of Symphonia again after about 7 or 8 years since I last have done so. Back then I wasn't that fond of the Tales games and Symphonia was the only one in the series I played to completion.

Now that I'm a bit more fond of the series presently, I was wondering if playing Dawn of the New World would be a good idea? The story of Symphonia is even better than I remember it being and I'm very curious how the story of the sequel is. However I haven't heard very many good things about the game.

The main thing I want to ask, is the story worth slogging through all the bad gameplay aspects it has? Because if it isn't, I may not bother in the first place.
IMO, the real selling point of the game is to see the old chars and what they are up to in this newly combined world. Whether you like it or not depends on how much you liked the original characters' personalities and how they interacted with each other. If you liked it fairly well, despite the whininess and clinginess of the main male and female protagonist respectively, then I feel you'll be able to tolerate the game enough to see it through.

Story-wise, it has some minor things that aren't explained, but does an otherwise great job at tying the elements of the previous game, and even some minor elements from Martel's era(i.e. 4000 yrs ago) into a cohesive plot that makes sense.

Most people are actually put off by the gameplay elements. The game uses a monster capture system so that you can use monsters in battle, but they can only be AI controlled. You get orig ToS members here and there throughout the story, but their artes and power have been completely gimped; they are only a shadow of what they are capable of in the orig ToS(locked levels, not all of their artes, no Shiina summoning, etc). They all at least get Mystic Artes(like Llyod's Falcon Crest, Colette's Holy Judgment, etc), but cannot exceed a max level of 50 by end game, despite your 2 new protagonists maxing at lv 200 which makes them lackluster in the bonus dungeons. The system itself, despite having Free Run, is not as polished as the original, not in terms of speed, but....how to say it...it just doesn't look as elegant.

On an unrelated note, the criticism is heightened even more due to the fact that Tales of Vesperia came out a couple of months later in the same year ToS2 did, and story-wise and battle system-wise, was a much more structured and vibrant game, at least in the general opinion of others.

You said you only played ToS all the way through. You've never played Vesperia, Graces f, or Innocence?

Old 2013-01-17, 04:26   Link #32
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
IMO, the real selling point of the game is to see the old chars and what they are up to in this newly combined world. Whether you like it or not depends on how much you liked the original characters' personalities and how they interacted with each other. If you liked it fairly well, despite the whininess and clinginess of the main male and female protagonist respectively, then I feel you'll be able to tolerate the game enough to see it through.
Well the presence of the sequel in the first place is what has me curious about what the characters are doing and the state of the world after the end of the first game. And I've seen bits and pieces of Emil and Marta before, and while I don't think I'd be particularly fond of either of them, I can try to ignore their annoyances.

Quote:
Most people are actually put off by the gameplay elements. The game uses a monster capture system so that you can use monsters in battle, but they can only be AI controlled. You get orig ToS members here and there throughout the story, but their artes and power have been completely gimped; they are only a shadow of what they are capable of in the orig ToS(locked levels, not all of their artes, no Shiina summoning, etc). They all at least get Mystic Artes(like Llyod's Falcon Crest, Colette's Holy Judgment, etc), but cannot exceed a max level of 50 by end game, despite your 2 new protagonists maxing at lv 200 which makes them lackluster in the bonus dungeons. The system itself, despite having Free Run, is not as polished as the original, not in terms of speed, but....how to say it...it just doesn't look as elegant.
Wow, that sounds kind of shitty. How often would you say it's required to recruit new monsters? Also what's the grinding slope like?

Quote:
You said you only played ToS all the way through. You've never played Vesperia, Graces f, or Innocence?
I mean Symphonia was the only game I played to completion 7 and 8 years ago.

Presently the Tales games I've finished are Symphonia, Abyss and Graces f. I also played Legendia but I never finished it.

I'd like to play Vesperia, but I don't have a 360 and don't plan on getting one. Innocence I won't play unless Bamco decides to localize Innocence R, which I doubt will happen. So no I haven't and probably never will for those two.
Old 2013-01-17, 11:29   Link #33
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Wow, that sounds kind of shitty. How often would you say it's required to recruit new monsters? Also what's the grinding slope like?.
The only time is is required to recruit monsters is the first two monsters at the beginning of the game, as a tutorial lesson. There are other instances throughout the game(like, maybe 4?) where you'll end up automatically recruiting a monster after some event, in order to progress through the story, but you are NEVER required to use them in combat(except in 1st chp). Like Pokemon, you can send all of your monsters into storage(but only after you reach chp 2), so you could do that and only play with the orig ToS cast if you wanted.

There's not much grinding needed in this game. If you use monsters, you'll find that, stat-wise, they are quite strong, even stronger than your chars sometimes, as they have a lower EXP-to-level ratio(i.e. less EXP to level up than human chars on the same level). In addition, on harder difficulties, the bonus EXP, which is based on # of MAX hits in the battle, can easily have you doubling your normal experience, something akin to; Hard = 100% extra EXP for 20 hits, Mania = 100% for 10 hits, Unknown = 100% for 2 hits. Yes, on Unknown, you can double your exp with only 2 hits. You can only go as high as Hard on 1st playthrough, so it's not that big a deal.

Old 2013-01-17, 13:20   Link #34
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ah cool. I may just ditch the monsters all-together then once I get the opportunity to do so and just stick to using the actual characters. I assume even though Lloyd and co.'s levels max at only 50, that's still high enough to confront the final boss of the game?

And the presence of a difficulty slider sounds good to me. Is easy one of the options?
Old 2013-01-17, 17:26   Link #35
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Ah cool. I may just ditch the monsters all-together then once I get the opportunity to do so and just stick to using the actual characters. I assume even though Lloyd and co.'s levels max at only 50, that's still high enough to confront the final boss of the game?

And the presence of a difficulty slider sounds good to me. Is easy one of the options?
Yeah, it's enough to tackle the final boss. Though their level is always fixed depending on the chapter, their dmg output is always good enough to take on the monsters and bosses throughout the game, though obviously, their power is not going to trump Emil's and Marta's.

There is no Easy; just Normal and Hard at first. To get Mania, you have to beat the game on Hard mode w/o changing the difficulty even once, starting on that difficulty before the first fight of the game(an Eggbear). For Unknown, all Mania battles in the same way. I've never played on Normal, but I only had a few problems with certain bosses, even only using all human chars. You might be tempted to go with a couple of monsters, else, some bosses might be just too tough with just Emil and Marta(the orig ToS chars come and go throughout the game).

Old 2013-01-17, 18:28   Link #36
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I don't really play JRPG's for a challenge, so I'll probably just stick to Normal difficulty. Hopefully it isn't too difficult to get through everything if I don't want to use or recruit monsters. The fact that the characters from the first game can be used in some form is relieving too.

Anyway, it sounds like the game is at least worth a try so thanks for the info. It's probably going to be one of my less-liked Tales games, but I figure if I get some form of enjoyment out of it, it shouldn't be a waste.

Tags
q&a