AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-10-10, 23:57   Link #1
michiru

Is there any evil buddhists in anime?

I can't remember any villain who is a buddhist.
It's always....so.... a western religion when a religious group are tormenting (or tricking) people.
Does this mean creaters psychologicaly respect them or buddhists are just too powerless to be described as evil one?
michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 00:03   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

That crazed monk that Sanosuke learned the ultimate fist technique from in Rurouni Kenshin, though that would be more of his fall from faith after his entire monastery and wards died during the civil war.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 01:09   Link #3
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiru View Post
I can't remember any villain who is a buddhist.
It's always....so.... a western religion when a religious group are tormenting (or tricking) people.
Does this mean creaters psychologicaly respect them or buddhists are just too powerless to be described as evil one?
If you see anime deriving their story from Saiyuki or Suikoden you'll probably find "evil" or corrupt Buddhist monks. If you're just talking about Buddhists in general, I am not sure what you mean, as over 70% of Japanese practice Buddhism to some degree.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 11:26   Link #4
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
In Sword Of The Stranger, there are characters who sort of seem Monkish ("monkish", I just made a new word lol).
Old 2010-10-11, 17:56   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kind of "by definition", one fails badly at Buddhism if one is evil. I suppose you could have a 'buddhist monk gone bad' or one who professes to be buddhist while ignoring virtually all the tenets. There really isn't much that can be used to justify violent/evil activities.

Quote:
buddhists are just too powerless to be described as evil one
doesn't even make sense unless you're equating power with evil... which would be incorrect.

You at least need some "violent god/spirit" that needs to be appeased or some sort of righteousness-gone-awry. You could find such in any of the pantheon or animist categories of religion as well as the J-C-I variety.

I suppose one could argue that the landowning aristocracy in earlier Tibet was a kind of evil since it used religion to "oppress the peasantry, making them content with the status quo".

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-10-11 at 18:07.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 20:29   Link #6
mechdra

Kazuki Kazusano in Amaenaide yo!! Katsu!!
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 04:24   Link #7
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Well there were those monks in AIR that put the curse on Kanna during the summer arc, trapping her in an endless cycle of reincarnation and setting up the events of the main game. Though it's not like they were main villains though. Still, considering one of the points of Buddhism is to transcend that cycle, a curse trapping a soul in it seems like it would be especially evil in such a belief set.
Old 2010-10-12, 11:00   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Well there were those monks in AIR that put the curse on Kanna during the summer arc, trapping her in an endless cycle of reincarnation and setting up the events of the main game. Though it's not like they were main villains though. Still, considering one of the points of Buddhism is to transcend that cycle, a curse trapping a soul in it seems like it would be especially evil in such a belief set.
Aye, I forgot about AIR. Good catch. I thought that was interesting when I first saw it because Buddhism and Shinto are usually described as having rather easily integrated when Buddhism arrived in Japan. AIR described a more tense conflict between the viewpoints. I don't know if that was simply artistic license or whether the historical reality is more complex. I do know that within a few hundred years each belief system had settled into their respective niches and begun absorbing bits of each other.
Old 2010-10-12, 11:53   Link #9
imbehindyou
turn around...

I wouldn't necessarily call them evil evil, but in Gokudou-kun Manyuuki, Indra (Hinduism) and Sanzo (Buddhism) are antagonists. But then, it's totally a fantasy series and protagonist's "friends" are Mazoku

Unfortunately I don't have anything to say in regards to OP.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 00:21   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
That crazed monk that Sanosuke learned the ultimate fist technique from in Rurouni Kenshin, though that would be more of his fall from faith after his entire monastery and wards died during the civil war.
Anji (the monk) was the one that sprang to mind for me too, though he really isn't evil. A fallen monk, for sure, but more what I would call misguided than evil. For all his anger I think he still tries to live by a moral code he sees as consistent with his Buddhism.

Warrior monks (Sohei) actually played a crucial part in much of feudal Japanese history and did a whole lot of things most people today would call evil, but I don't recall seeing them depicted in anime too much. It was actually a topic on the Suggestions board a while back, but Buddhists of any stripe are much less common as major characters in anime than Shinto priests and (especially) miko.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 10:19   Link #11
mouhitori

Yeah the warrior monks were the ones that first sprang to my mind too.
Probably the lack of their portrayal is simply due to the lack of anime that
covers the sengoku jidai period...

I never recall even seeing one except sengoku basara.
Maybe after the three kingdoms period can no longer attract sufficient viewers we will see sengoku ikkitousen or sengoku koihime musou
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 17:45   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Anji (the monk) was the one that sprang to mind for me too, though he really isn't evil. A fallen monk, for sure, but more what I would call misguided than evil. For all his anger I think he still tries to live by a moral code he sees as consistent with his Buddhism.

Warrior monks (Sohei) actually played a crucial part in much of feudal Japanese history and did a whole lot of things most people today would call evil, but I don't recall seeing them depicted in anime too much. It was actually a topic on the Suggestions board a while back, but Buddhists of any stripe are much less common as major characters in anime than Shinto priests and (especially) miko.
I've only seen them in Kenshin. So I guess RK has a monopoly on sinister Buddhists
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote