AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-25, 02:44   Link #3181
Witch of Uncertainty

^This comes to mind
Old 2011-02-25, 08:11   Link #3182
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

About Jessica and Yasu:
http://shroedinger.deviantart.com/ga...34664#/d2w76vp

I'm not sure if debating about whether Lion or Yasu are the same or not makes much difference to the end result, some things in between just need to be explained differently. That's why I wanted to say that there is a possibility for their connection to be a bit different than assumed. At least it would save Yasu from incest if she isn't actually related. Though that might also be a reason for her getting desperate. But if she learned about her heritage when she solved the epitaph, why would she approach George then? It might not matter at all. Not that Kanon and Shannon being the same has actually been set in stone either, but I think it is safest to assume that at least that much is true.

When using Shkanon as a key to solve the murders, the issue I'm most concerned about is EP2 second twilight. That's the one episode where either of them is announced separately dead while the game is still in progress. What kind of trick enables Shannon to be alive while it is announced dead with the red truth Kanon was killed in this room at the moment they're investigating Jessica's room? Either Shkanon isn't true (for that episode only?), someone else is posing as Shannon or there's something fishy with the red truth.

A theory I read was a theory which I do not doubt you haven't already heard that the epitaph murders are a fake murder mystery set up by Yasu. Indeed that goes well with the fake murders in both EP5 and 6. So, the red truth is actually just going according to the rules of the game, where faking "dead" people are dead by the rules of the game, and can be announced dead with the red truth. I'm not sure if I like that theory, for it looks like plain cheating from the author's part, but it might actually go well with the theme so I'll probably try using it in my thinking. This does clear the dead-end of EP2 second twilight. Actually, there are no tricks in Episodes 1-4 which use Shkanon to dodge the red, so it might actually be respectful to the rules. It is only misused in EP6 to solve Battler's closed room. So what the "not being mystery" meant, might be that it was not done according to the rules of the game, where Shannon and Kanon are separate people. I see, this might actually be a good theory. Though Clair seemed much more hateful or desperate in EP7 than a game like this would suggest.

Lambdadelta lent a certain power to Yasu, making her a witch for two days? So Lambdadelta is the bomb, "the promised reaper"?
Old 2011-02-25, 08:51   Link #3183
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
When using Shkanon as a key to solve the murders, the issue I'm most concerned about is EP2 second twilight. That's the one episode where either of them is announced separately dead while the game is still in progress. What kind of trick enables Shannon to be alive while it is announced dead with the red truth Kanon was killed in this room at the moment they're investigating Jessica's room? Either Shkanon isn't true (for that episode only?), someone else is posing as Shannon or there's something fishy with the red truth.
Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice are all split personalities of Yasu. Each of them is treated like a different person, and any of them can be "killed" while Yasu remains alive. Supposing that Beatrice "killed off" Kanon and the scene with Shannon meeting Kinzo at the same time was a lie, it's really not impossible to reason.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2011-02-25, 09:17   Link #3184
Lumy
非合理の魔女

Quote:
I'm not sure if debating about whether Lion or Yasu are the same or not makes much difference to the end result, some things in between just need to be explained differently. That's why I wanted to say that there is a possibility for their connection to be a bit different than assumed. At least it would save Yasu from incest if she isn't actually related. Though that might also be a reason for her getting desperate. But if she learned about her heritage when she solved the epitaph, why would she approach George then? It might not matter at all. Not that Kanon and Shannon being the same has actually been set in stone either, but I think it is safest to assume that at least that much is true.
Cousin marriage is legal in Japan up to this day, even if it's not that common anymore (it's more prominent in anime/manga...). Since Yasu never addressed this as yet another source of her complexes even after she learned the truth about her heritage, I guess she never bothered much. Or maybe it added up to the 'baww i cannot love' spiral, but ultimately faded against the other, apparently more obvious reasons.

Old 2011-02-25, 09:20   Link #3185
alarmadadna hadi

Quote:
Lambdadelta lent a certain power to Yasu, making her a witch for two days? So Lambdadelta is the bomb, "the promised reaper"?
Ep4 implied people only got interested in the witch legend after the message bottles surfaced so it could be making certain that they reach society to propagate beatrices exisence (Which is why I understand the banquet ending of ep2 with the witches who 'praise the household of the night' and 'ceebrating the witches ressurection' to be representative of the witch hunters, eating kinzo and battler's flesh is basically the well known symbolism of eating human flesh as you slander others with careless speculation)
or maybe it was the storm seperating the island, or perhaps on the metaphorical level as yasu developing an unwavering convuction

Quote:
What kind of trick enables Shannon to be alive while it is announced dead with the red truth Kanon was killed in this room
As far as rules for shkanon to follow as a mechanism, a possibility i noticed is that neither can be stated to be in location X in red unless Yasu's physical body be there (hence ep6 avoiding to state they are at different rooms at the same time, just like magic scenes, one body exists on a more 'real' level)
Old 2011-02-25, 11:10   Link #3186
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

I do know about personality death, it goes to the something fishy with the red truth department as well. So what I meant to say I was using Shkanon to try solve the mysteries without using the normal personality death concept.
I was just telling about a different idea, where personality death is not just about Yasu being allowed to somehow kill his own personalities, but that it goes with some kind of ruleset, where Shannon, Kanon and Beatrice are ultimately regarded as different entities. The normal concept of personality death feels like the personalities somehow disappear forever, so that they are dead by the red truth. But can something like a personality completely disappearing whenever the person wishes to really happen? It sounds like cheating to me. Red truth is only true if you believe in it, if you believe in the rules.

Only the actor can kill the character. That's what the personalities are to Yasu, characters. I don't believe that she just wakes up some morning randomly thinking she's Kanon. She acknowledges the problem arising from loving too many people, not thinking Kanon can separate from Shannon to hook up with Jessica. She can apparently kill the characters in her story when she wants to. But in this case the red must have some kind of exception, because if you regard Shannon and Kanon as names of the same person, wouldn't both of them die when that person dies? So I think the red must be truths that go along with the rules Yasu created. And in the rules, Shannon and Kanon are separate people she uses as pieces on her gameboard.

It feels funny though, as isn't them being separate people the basic setting, and not some kind of secret to reveal? I think you can agree that Shkanon isn't needed to solve the howdunnit in EP1-4 at all. It is the key to singling out the culprit in whodunnit, and ultimately the whydunnit, which is why Yasu left in clues of her actual situation.

The goal is not to have someone solve the epitaph, get revenge on someone or make people experience fear, but to have someone understand her heart. She throws out the message bottles for that goal as well. So the epitaph is just a chance she gave for the Ushiromiya family, but it doesn't make her any happier. There is a duel between Shannon and Kanon, and the one left (usually Shannon) competes with Beatrice in 1986. I think Beatrice wins if Battler manages to solve the crime, otherwise Yasu should go with Jessica or George, usually George. Apparently, that is the reason for the murder game to be set. But actually the bomb is armed and she is left with nobody, except in the Golden Land (afterlife).

Maybe Yasu wrote the murder mysteries of the final family conference as kind of love letters to Battler a lot before the incident. She planned to create a fake mystery for when he returns. The event that turns her to furniture makes her desperate, and she decides to abandon everything.

Why does Yasu set up a murder mystery anyway, if she was going to kill all of them in the end with the clock device? If the explosion wasn't planned by Yasu, what would be the point of throwing contradicting message bottles to the sea? Why should she murder in a manner of mystery if she always knew of the bomb, and could have only killed them with that? Is she a person to drag everyone with her to destruction? Or is it only the ideal of the Golden Land? Would she actually stop the device if someone was to solve the crime? But seems like it is not a possible future. Even if someone solved the crime, would Yasu show them the gold room, where they don't want to split the gold between 16 people and the shootout starts? And everything is again tried to be covered up by someone with the explosion accident. Or she just wants to cover for herself with the bomb if she actually killed people during the epitaph game, or doesn't want any outsider to understand her, which is against the purpose of the message bottles. Or it all leads to Rokkenjima-Prime having been blown up, so any other kind of result can't be written. But in this case there still should be a plan by Yasu if someone solved the crime. Unless she had totally given up and didn't think anyone could solve it. Which is again against the purpose of the epitaph murders. So was it someone else who planned to kill everyone on the island with the bomb that day?
These are things that confuse me.

I don't know how much of my rambling above made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmadadna hadi View Post
Ep4 implied people only got interested in the witch legend after the message bottles surfaced so it could be making certain that they reach society to propagate beatrices exisence (Which is why I understand the banquet ending of ep2 with the witches who 'praise the household of the night' and 'ceebrating the witches ressurection' to be representative of the witch hunters, eating kinzo and battler's flesh is basically the well known symbolism of eating human flesh as you slander others with careless speculation)
or maybe it was the storm seperating the island, or perhaps on the metaphorical level as yasu developing an unwavering convuction

As far as rules for shkanon to follow as a mechanism, a possibility i noticed is that neither can be stated to be in location X in red unless Yasu's physical body be there (hence ep6 avoiding to state they are at different rooms at the same time, just like magic scenes, one body exists on a more 'real' level)
Yeah those are also valid explanations of the certainty. The typhoon might be an even better explanation than the bomb, for it cannot be affected by humans.

Also your last items might pose a problem against my theory of their separation. Though them not allowed to be in separate places due to the red is somewhat of a given, so I didn't put too much attention on. Something like, the characters Shannon and Kanon must be together unless either of them dies... This really complicates things, as they never appear together due to obvious reasons in the games. This is really some kind of backwards thinking, I know. But you do know what I'm getting at, right?

EDIT: In EP6 Kanon recalled memories of his time serving the family during his trip to save Battler from the closed room. Even that gloomy Kanon seemed to find good things about everyone most involved with him. In that light, Clair saying she hates everything feels odd. Though it is not like she hates the people, but the situations she is thrown into. But that is one against killing everyone. Maybe she really believes in the Golden Land, where everyone is happier...? So, as suspected many times before, she isn't the killer but just the culprit in the games. EP7 mood is different though. Well a murderous feeling is what most except, which is then turned around with Battler's "there were no bad people". However, Battler said that's a story just for Ange, which I think EP8 was about? But if it's just for Ange, it might not be any nearer to truth.

The book Battler left in Beatrice's coffin is very curious by the way. As Bernkastel declares that there can be no happy ending, not that she should be that much trusted, what is that book with "the best possible truth" for Beatrice? It might not mean that nobody dies, but Yasu might reach her goal, if it's separate from everybody going to the Golden Land.

Last edited by Bluemail; 2011-02-25 at 14:07.
Old 2011-02-25, 15:31   Link #3187
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
I was wondering how being hermaphrodite had anything to do with the fall, as I guess it should be decided by birth. It does explain Lion's problems. But the way you put it works better. But if she wasn't a hermaphrodite when she was born, how does Lion have that uncertainty as well, even without falling? So it must be something by birth and the fall just made it worse.

Well is Yasu actually so crazy? Well her ideas might be, but if her story is explained with a bit of magic interpretation in EP7, it could be explained in other ways. She encountering Gaap-Beatrice could be about she starting to practise caring more about her stuff, and maybe about mystery novels. She becomes some sort of a servant she had liked to be, Shannon, and separates the trickster part as Beatrice, who would appear when an oppoturnity arises. When she tires of just being Shannon and waiting on Battler, she starts acting as Kanon. Or was Kanon actually born from Jessica's desire to have a boyfriend, when they promised that they'd get boyfriends together?
She talks to herself and pretends to be multiple people at once. She runs around at night pranking people pretending to be a witch. She's crazy.

Quote:
How does that define the time? She could have had an almost fatal accident later. It might sound ridiculous, but we shouldn't take out possibilities.
Maybe there was actually no accident at all, and Gensawajo is just mindfucking her to some purpose.
If there was another life-threatening accident that fucked up her ability to love, it would've been brought up, I guarantee.

Quote:
This is exactly my point, thanks Renall. Was a baby falling off a cliff (don't say it's some ambigous parallel to Kuwadorian Beatrice's fall) ever hinted in the Question Arcs? I remember that all of this was only brought up in Chiru. If we're speculating only on the basis of first four episodes, there isn't need for the baby called Lion. I'm not really saying that it has to be Genji who took a young servant from Fukuin planning to present her as Beatrice's descendant, but someone did. Either it is really a baby who was saved from an accident, or just someone with the right features. Chiru brings out Lion, but it might be some trolling from Ryukishi. But of course I'm not saying it is entirely false, we may have just misinterpreted. I think it is possible to speculate that the baby falling off a cliff, and Yasu are entirely different people, but their fates are being intertwined by someone's story. Maybe neither are actually Beatrice's children, but I'd like to think at least Lion is, or the trolling is going too far.
It's possible, but it's speculation that really just causes more problems. It's being skeptical with no payoff. It's killing a perfectly good plant to raise some weeds.

Quote:
I already said that if Lion didn't fall, there would be no need to bring Yasu from the orphanage. So it satisfies Clair's "salvation".
Except she's still a friendless hermaphrodite orphan who no one loves. Lol.

Quote:
Why does Yasu set up a murder mystery anyway, if she was going to kill all of them in the end with the clock device?
The only time it's mentioned that Yasu actually used the bomb herself is in Bern's theatre. The Fake First Twilight Mystery Game theory usually assumes that some other culprit hijacked things from her and started killing people for real, and her guilt comes from the fact that she created an opportunity for the culprit.
Old 2011-02-25, 16:29   Link #3188
Shirozaki
白の魔法使い

Send a message via MSN to Shirozaki
Everything can be explained with Krautsuhi and Nanjotrice.

Quote:
How does that define the time? She could have had an almost fatal accident later. It might sound ridiculous, but we shouldn't take out possibilities.
Maybe there was actually no accident at all, and Gensawajo is just mindfucking her to some purpose.
I GUESS you could call that a natural assumption, unless of course you want to believe that her live is much more fucked up and accident prone than we already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
...who would've ended in the Ushiromiya household eventually anyways.

Quote:
The only time it's mentioned that Yasu actually used the bomb herself is in Bern's theatre. The Fake First Twilight Mystery Game theory usually assumes that some other culprit hijacked things from her and started killing people for real, and her guilt comes from the fact that she created an opportunity for the culprit.
Or to disarm potential explosives which miraculously went off accidently and blew up a just as potential happy ending. Whoops.

Quote:
The book Battler left in Beatrice's coffin is very curious by the way. As Bernkastel declares that there can be no happy ending, not that she should be that much trusted, what is that book with "the best possible truth" for Beatrice? It might not mean that nobody dies, but Yasu might reach her goal, if it's separate from everybody going to the Golden Land.
The notsoliteral corpse of Beatrice never made any sense for me really, seeing how it doesn't really fit with EP8

Quote:
Or was Kanon actually born from Jessica's desire to have a boyfriend, when they promised that they'd get boyfriends together?
I have the faint feeling I've heard that before.

AuraTwilight:
Congrats, you're a theatergoing witch.

You asshole.
Old 2011-02-25, 17:00   Link #3189
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
It's possible, but it's speculation that really just causes more problems. It's being skeptical with no payoff. It's killing a perfectly good plant to raise some weeds.
That presumes it's a perfectly good plant.

One might rip up a sprouting palm tree, if one lives in Minnesota and knows the whole affair will only turn out badly.

The problem with claiming the explanation offered is more valid than doubt is that no evidence actually exists to support either. It gets even worse if you step out into the "reality" of the work (R-Prime, or whatever), where no evidence exists at all. One could even be so nihilistic as to say that there is no evidence of the existence of Beatrice-2 or Beatrice Castiglioni... though I would argue there is at least evidence of something to that effect, given the presence of Kuwadorian (which is physical evidence, possibly the only source of it that exists in R-Prime, and which we've not seen in any detail).

Still, you can't actually prove that entire branch of the family actually existed. You can prove Yasu existed, and that she believed certain things, and that she wrote certain things down based on what she believed.

Note that Yasu herself - at least going on the assumption she only wrote Legend and Turn - only once raises familial issues at all. Everything else - that Kuwadorian exists, Rosa's story, Beatrice-2 herself, testimony as to Yasu's true nature, the existence of a baby, the identification of that baby, the bomb as cause for the explosion, the association of the epitaph with that bomb, who knew about the bomb - is derived from other sources (one assumes, mostly assembled through research or potentially just speculated upon or made up). Arguably, one can claim the things Yasu "believed" to be embellishments themselves. Certainly they're not ridiculous conclusions to draw from what she wrote... but neither are they necessarily gospel, either.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2011-02-25, 18:29   Link #3190
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
That presumes it's a perfectly good plant.
I'm not saying the Yasu thing doesn't have problems, but I don't see any benefit to adding on complications to a plot that, while flawed at best and stupid at worst, still answers questions.

Quote:
The problem with claiming the explanation offered is more valid than doubt is that no evidence actually exists to support either. It gets even worse if you step out into the "reality" of the work (R-Prime, or whatever), where no evidence exists at all. One could even be so nihilistic as to say that there is no evidence of the existence of Beatrice-2 or Beatrice Castiglioni... though I would argue there is at least evidence of something to that effect, given the presence of Kuwadorian (which is physical evidence, possibly the only source of it that exists in R-Prime, and which we've not seen in any detail).
We don't have any real reason to doubt them either; especially when this is supposed to be some confession of information that isn't ever contradicted by the end of things.
Old 2011-02-25, 20:21   Link #3191
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

I have yet to read episode 8 and whatever else is told, but could Erika be yasu's shadow/superego/self doubt?
in ep4 she gives up, but doesn't die entirely. She brings up Erika in EP5 to say "This is wrong, this is wrong, wow, I was really bad at this, wasn't I?" Also used to test Battlers knowledge of "the truth"
Old 2011-02-25, 21:53   Link #3192
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

It's never really addressed, so it's certainly possible. At the very least, Erika Furudo is based on someone who actually existed.
Old 2011-02-25, 22:15   Link #3193
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Whether she's anything at all like the character we see is more questionable, though at the very least the parts about her backstory seem like they were drawn from the real person's history.

Meta-Erika, probably not so much.

Old 2011-02-25, 22:52   Link #3194
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Right. If Meta-Erika was exactly like the real life Erika Furudo, I can't imagine how she has "friends and family who care about her."
Old 2011-02-26, 01:25   Link #3195
Quest 64

Quote:
Kanon was killed in this room
Servant with name Kanon doesn't exist as human. The one who lend him a corpse returned it back.
Old 2011-02-26, 01:45   Link #3196
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
If there was another life-threatening accident that fucked up her ability to love, it would've been brought up, I guarantee.
I wondered if the "servant falling down the stairs" incident had anything to do with it. I don't know how it could have that kind of effect though. Maybe it was just Yasu faking so she could leave her job and becoming permanently Shannon? Though Genji and co still know that it is her (helped with the fakery?). Or it was just a story.
Quote:
Yeah.
At least she wouldn't have gone to Rokkenjima before she was 16-18, so Battler couldn't have made the "promise"?
Quote:
I've got that much. The thing that bugs me is why she'd send message bottles with contradicting stories if the evidence wasn't going to blow up? Maybe she just threw away the different stories on a whim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest 64 View Post
Servant with name Kanon doesn't exist as human. The one who lend him a corpse returned it back.
Is this about personality death as well?
Maybe Kanon's death in EP2 was the result of a love duel like in EP6? Though he was able to move even after that in Dawn, even with the red truth. So Kanon dies because he is no longer needed as a partner to Jessica? I guess that's a somehow plausible root to Kanon dying in red, though still needs to be worked upon. How was Kanon able to move in EP6 then, even after dying in the love duel? He did say he would be by Jessica's side though, so maybe that's why. Still needs more logic...
Old 2011-02-26, 02:02   Link #3197
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I really can't buy "it was done on a whim" as a motive for, well, any aspect of a plot.

So what, if she didn't have that whim, there wouldn't be a plot at all, because there'd be no stories and the event would just be shrugged off as an "I'unno lol" moment?

Well, that's sure compelling.

Old 2011-02-26, 02:17   Link #3198
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Yeah, that's why it's weird. Well maybe she just wanted to release mystery stories and was too shy to turn them in for some company.

If she didn't plan to use the bomb, why the message bottles? If she did plan to use it, why the mystery game? Clair says she gave everything up to fate. So if nobody solves the mystery or the epitaph, then boom. Something's still wrong with that, and I was supposed to say something but don't remember anymore.
Old 2011-02-26, 03:45   Link #3199
Quest 64

Legend: Yasu bet on Kanon
Turn: Yasu bet on Shannon
Banquet: Yasu bet on Beatrice
Alliance: Beatrice bet on Yasu

None of the bets has been realized as she wished, and game lost reason to be. Durning ep6 all bets was in game, and only Kanontice won, because ...I don't know...

In other words, Yasu searched way to live in happiness , but could not choose with whom, after Buttler broke promise to Shannon (he was favorite) chances of Shkanon were identical. Battler came back to island, and spoiled plan. Then, she tryed to view herself to him (ep3 Quadorian Beatrice, ep4 Promise), but unsuccessfully, her nature understood that Battler begins love Beatrice, not Yasu/Lion, and decided to disappear forever.
Old 2011-02-26, 06:36   Link #3200
Kealym

Quote:
I do know about personality death, it goes to the something fishy with the red truth department as well. So what I meant to say I was using Shkanon to try solve the mysteries without using the normal personality death concept.
Point of order. 'Shkanon' is more or les synonymous with some form of 'personality death', unless you're advocating what I believe is referred to as 'Double Shkanon'. Otherwise, Shkanon only gives our culprit-san the benifit of the illusion of another human to confuse matters. That being said, personality death via Shkanon literally solves NOTHING from the first 4 games. But the fact that the theory's been around since FOREVER (Turn, iirc) is a little telling, even if it started out as a joke theory.

Quote:
I was just telling about a different idea, where personality death is not just about Yasu being allowed to somehow kill his own personalities, but that it goes with some kind of ruleset, where Shannon, Kanon and Beatrice are ultimately regarded as different entities. The normal concept of personality death feels like the personalities somehow disappear forever, so that they are dead by the red truth. But can something like a personality completely disappearing whenever the person wishes to really happen?
Again, although we use the word "personalities" as shorthand, I don't think that's very ... accurate. As you say, they're more like "roles" or "characters" - otherwise you might say something like "Sakutarou is one of Maria's personalities", and that's just NO.

Quote:
She can apparently kill the characters in her story when she wants to. But in this case the red must have some kind of exception, because if you regard Shannon and Kanon as names of the same person, wouldn't both of them die when that person dies?
They DO both die when that ... body dies. Think - we've almost never seena case of one being confirmed dead while the other got to run around, except for EP2. In EP1, Shannon's presence in the shed wasn't confirmed, and in EP2, not only is Kanon simply missing, but he goes missing WHILE Shannon is allegedly "consulting Kinzo". EP3 and EP4, they're presented as dying at the same time. And let's not even start with EP5/6.

Quote:
It feels funny though, as isn't them being separate people the basic setting, and not some kind of secret to reveal?
Kinzo-death-status is of a similar vein - a secret to be uncovered, but still part of the game's very premise.

Quote:
Yeah those are also valid explanations of the certainty. The typhoon might be an even better explanation than the bomb, for it cannot be affected by humans.
I always assumed the certainty was the secret gold - it was described as a powerful magic that made people do anything you wanted them to, I believe. It's an assurance that Yasu can pretty much buy out anybody's cooperation.

Forgive me, but most of what you're saying here is pretty much repeating things we were blatantly told in EP7 or TIPS or something.

On an unrelated note, I've had a few thought lately:

(1). Lambda saying that Beato "really knows what it means to be the main character" in EP6. While of course this refers to her theatricality and penchant for dramatics, I suddenly thought "Does Beato in the Meta-World aso know that she's a character in the story WE'RE reading?" More meta, mind blown, etc.

(2). I havent read EP8 yet (as I only read plain ol' English), but what I understand of the ending made me really really sad. Then I got Virgilia's lesson about the broken vase from rereading EP3, and in that light, I felt a bit better about the ending.

(3). About Lion as Clare's salvation - well ... basically, assuming all the info we got concernin Yasu's origin is correct, then I ended the episode thinking that "Lion doesn't exist. He only exists in fiction. That is, to say, he exists about as much as, say, Erika exists. However, he still works as a dream for Clare by being the abstract possibility that her life wasn't simply DESTINED to suck. Some 'witch' wrote a game where she lives happily as Lion, and the very consideration of hat possibility is what makes Clare happy. It's a statistical miracle simply because the witches ALOST NEVER tell a version of Rokkenjima where Yasu lives happily as Lion, since they much prefer their murder-meido-cliff-baby version of events.

However, Bern's Tea-Party shenanigans represent the fandom-dickery that even in a fiction where Lion existed, and was happy, people STILL shoehorned in the Rokkenjima murders to give that novel a sad ending, plot holes be damned. Will, he who ensures the sanctity of mysteries, tells Lion to fight on and "be a miracle" - encouraging him to fight for his right to exist. That is, fight to become firm in the minds of the people writing versions of Rokkenjima, so they'll more often write "Happy Lion" worlds, like they similarlly seem to more often write "Super Detective" Erika worlds.

Let Erika exist where you want to violently seek 'truth'. Let Lion exist where you want to allow Yasu's happiness. Something like that - that's where my thoughts currently are, trying to configure everything into a new, literary light. As stated, I havent read EP8, just the summaries, but that's where my thinking is. ... ... thoughts?
Closed Thread