AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-19, 18:24   Link #321
GDB

During DBZ Kai, I don't believe future spoilers were allowed outside of well labeled spoiler boxes. Same probably applies here.
Old 2012-07-19, 18:34   Link #322
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Thing is, I liked anime Rei. (Though nothing really tops SMA Raye. LOUD, Satan worshipping, pain loving, abusive, priestess Raye. While it doesn't fit the anime at all...the parody works for what it is.)
Old 2012-07-19, 21:35   Link #323
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePaladin View Post
Mr. Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena) took over as series director during Sailor Moon R. He did not like Mamoru. If you notice after R is over Mamoru's role more becomes being an accessory to Usagi and less as a fully fleshed out character. He wanted Usagi to get together with Rei. So while Usagi/Mamoru is canon interpreting Usagi/Rei from the anime is not unreasonable.
oh WOW I actually had no idea.

That makes sense...he directed Utena......of course he wants a main yuri pairing in Sailormoon too.
Seems a little fanboyish to me. "I don't like the author's male character so I'm putting what could be interpreted as yuri subtext in for Usagi"
Really?
No wonder Naoko-sensei hates the anime! XD
Old 2012-07-19, 22:07   Link #324
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm. An at style question just came to me. With the new anime...just how much "talent" will Jupiter have? For a 13-14 year old.
Old 2012-07-19, 22:48   Link #325
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Well dunno, but i hope they do her properly since in the anime Jupiter/Makoto-chan was my favorite Sailor.
Old 2012-07-19, 23:19   Link #326
Jao
panchi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
oh WOW I actually had no idea.

That makes sense...he directed Utena......of course he wants a main yuri pairing in Sailormoon too.
Seems a little fanboyish to me. "I don't like the author's male character so I'm putting what could be interpreted as yuri subtext in for Usagi"
Really?
No wonder Naoko-sensei hates the anime! XD
A few things here:

Firstly, he directed Sailor Moon R, S and Super S before he directed Utena. It can be argued that the roles of Saionji, Touga and Akio in Utena can be traced back to his dislike of classic tall dark and handsome shoujo male romantic leads like Mamoru (And to be fair, who can blame him? Mamoru's first kiss with Usagi wasn't at all consensual).

Secondly, I doubt very much that Naoko hated the anime. She may have disliked that the anime killed off all the senshi at the eld of the first season and that she wasn't given enough artistic freedom to do her own thing with the manga but if I remember correctly; Naoko is very liberal about her own characters and believes that different romantic and characteristic interpretations are just as valid as her own.

Thirdly, as for Ikuhara-sensei being a yuri fanboy...
Quote:
Q: Ikuhara-san, Utena and Sailor Moon are two of the most popular anime amongst yuri fans. Do you intentionally include shoujo-ai subtexts in your work?
A: No. I'm still able to make a story where it's between a boy and a girl. But I feel irritated to see my girl getting together with some other guy. I've tried to kill off Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon many times. But no matter how many times I tried to kill him, he gets resurrected so I only get angrier. So I decided it would be way better if the girl just didn't have a boyfriend to begin with. Of course I'm just kidding. In reality, if I have a guy in the show, the love relationship gets to have a bigger role than the show. And that would be an interesting element, but I wouldn't want that to make that the scene-stealer of the show. Most other shoujo shows are in that direction. It's about who-and-who are getting together, or who-and-who are breaking up. I thought it would be a loss if that would be the big motif just because a girl was the main character. I think there could be more shows with other motives than that
http://uranime.nekomusume.net/misc/i...terview.iphtml

^^ That interview is a goldmine of funnies.

Personally I have mixed feelings about Ikuhara not directing the new series. On one hand; Ikuhara at the director's wheel is an absolute promise of quality, but on the other hand I do feel that someone else deserves a chance with the franchise.

Also Penguindrum had three canon straight pairings and the more classic shoujo romance lead (Kanba) was treated with a great degree of dignity and sympathy, so even if Ikuhara was directing the new series I'm fairly confident we'd see a developed Mamoru, as it seems his man hating days are well over.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Old 2012-07-19, 23:34   Link #327
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Hmmm. An art style question just came to me. With the new anime...just how much "talent" will Jupiter have? For a 13-14 year old.
I hope plenty (and reality be damned >_< ).
Old 2012-07-20, 02:36   Link #328
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Hmmm. An at style question just came to me. With the new anime...just how much "talent" will Jupiter have? For a 13-14 year old.
*SNORT*
...........ah yes, I remember that scene.....

Quote:
Firstly, he directed Sailor Moon R, S and Super S before he directed Utena.
Oh yeah, that's right. o.o Utena is newer. My bad. I forgot.

Quote:
(And to be fair, who can blame him? Mamoru's first kiss with Usagi wasn't at all consensual).
If you mean the one from the party after she passes out...she didn't seem to mind it very much. XD
Mamoru's an okay boyfriend. It's not like he's some sex-crazed, manipulative bastard like you see in smut shoujo. >_> I find his personality rather bland though....so he's not on my erm....."BILF" list. XD

Quote:
Secondly, I doubt very much that Naoko hated the anime.
I've read from a few sources that she was not pleased with it on the whole.

Quote:
No. I'm still able to make a story where it's between a boy and a girl. But I feel irritated to see my girl getting together with some other guy. I've tried to kill off Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon many times. But no matter how many times I tried to kill him, he gets resurrected so I only get angrier. So I decided it would be way better if the girl just didn't have a boyfriend to begin with.
Even if he was kidding, that attitude is really childish to me. And lame. More lame than anything. Don't get jealous over 2-D CHARACTERS, DUDE.
It's the same way rabid yaoi fangirls act; they hate all female characters by default so in their stupid fanfiction, they create a Mary Sue.....or just make the main character gay with the other male characters. This type of thing just.....super-irritates me...

Quote:
Also Penguindrum had three canon straight pairings and the more classic shoujo romance lead (Kanba) was treated with a great degree of dignity and sympathy,
Good to know This anime is so on my watch list.
Old 2012-07-21, 00:59   Link #329
Calca
Expressionless

I am interested in this. Sailor Moon on Toonami helped get me into anime so of course I am going to keep an eye out on a remake.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:03   Link #330
Snuffle
likes cute things

As long as this gives me some Minako fanservice with the same level of comedy as the previous series I'll be happy . I don't even need the Senshi battles, make it a slice of life after story of what happens after the Stars season for all I care
Old 2012-07-24, 11:59   Link #331
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Count me as someone who does not want Ikuhara on as director for this. His repetitive style of doing certain things would IMO cause the series to continue to make some of the same missteps the original did in being rather drawn out. Plus IMO he's just a little too weird and bizarre and his work comes off as more than a little pretentious and I'm not looking for that sort of style in the new Sailor Moon one bit, esepcially because I think it would smother it and divert attention away from the work itself and onto him like it did with MPD. And speaking of which he already had Mawaru Penguindrum as his latest show for getting all his weird unclear ideas out on the table last year so I don't see the need for another dose. Not really a fan of this man at all.

Anyway I think all the inner group in Sailor Moon are supposed to be around 14 at the start of SMC, 15 by S/SuperS and 16 in Stars. Just thought I'd clear that up.
Old 2012-07-24, 17:33   Link #332
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
As long as this gives me some Minako fanservice with the same level of comedy as the previous series I'll be happy . I don't even need the Senshi battles, make it a slice of life after story of what happens after the Stars season for all I care
Yes. As much Minako as possible.

She (well, her alter ego of Sailor Venus) has been my PC background for 7 years. Sailor Mars has been my lab PC background for 4 years. Sailor Pluto was my laptop background for 5 years (but, due to the fact that I was going into graduate school, I decided to mature a little bit... and make my background a formation of Stormtroopers).

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2012-07-24, 18:21   Link #333
Jao
panchi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Anyway I think all the inner group in Sailor Moon are supposed to be around 14 at the start of SMC, 15 by S/SuperS and 16 in Stars. Just thought I'd clear that up.
They all go to highschool in Stars except Rei, so they're meant to be 15/16 then.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Old 2012-07-24, 20:17   Link #334
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I am so sorry. The manga Minako was not nearly as comedic as her anime counterpart. Maybe the new anime will take her the same way as the first, but there is just as much of a chance that there will be a much more serious Minako in this.
Old 2012-07-25, 06:09   Link #335
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePaladin View Post
I am so sorry. The manga Minako was not nearly as comedic as her anime counterpart. Maybe the new anime will take her the same way as the first, but there is just as much of a chance that there will be a much more serious Minako in this.
It doesn't matter if it's manga Minako or anime Minako for me. Just as long as there is more of her...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2012-07-25, 06:54   Link #336
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
Thirdly, as for Ikuhara-sensei being a yuri fanboy...
http://uranime.nekomusume.net/misc/i...terview.iphtml
He add yuri subtext because of that? Hmmm... Well, I hope the Sailormoon x Tuxedo Mask tandem will still be preserved. Because , it'll break me... This the first anime I watched like elementary!!!
Old 2012-07-25, 12:20   Link #337
amasposu

Yes! A discussion that refers to her as Tsukino Usagi, not her nonsensical English name.
Old 2012-07-25, 14:09   Link #338
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post

Secondly, I doubt very much that Naoko hated the anime. She may have disliked that the anime killed off all the senshi at the eld of the first season and that she wasn't given enough artistic freedom to do her own thing with the manga but if I remember correctly; Naoko is very liberal about her own characters and believes that different romantic and characteristic interpretations are just as valid as her own.
Just noticed this, even if it's a week old almost I think the issue is not as clear cut as it's presented. Takeuchi always hoped for the series to be live action at first (then she got that...thing like she wanted years later) and definitely disliked certain parts of the anime, like the first 13 episodes of Sailormoon R - I recall saying for her "they never existed" though I lost the material where I read it so my memory may be playing tricks on me - or, in Sailor Stars, the Starlights (she said she was "surprised" they were presented that way in contrast of the manga, didn't sound too excited). THere were rumors she really hated SuperS, but I haven't any got any solid proof for that.

As for the 2013 version ,the first thing needed is less episodes. After S the quality definitely took a hit (while the fillers compared to recent series are nothing, 17 episodes of nothing in SuperS were really bad). Also I think I'm the minority but I think Takeuchi's skills as narrator aren't that impressive. The manga had serious focus issues (while it's clear Usagi's the main character, most of the others get really shafted save a chapter or so for everyone). And also, the genre has evolved quite a bit from twenty years ago. I doubt I'll be able to watch another series like the original, mostly due to the pacing.

As for Ikuhara, after the response he gave on a topic regarding the Utena movie at a convention in my country, I stopped taking him seriously....

Last edited by xizro345; 2012-07-25 at 14:22.
Old 2012-07-25, 15:57   Link #339
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
After S the quality definitely took a hit. And also, the genre has evolved quite a bit from twenty years ago. I doubt I'll be able to watch another series like the original, mostly due to the pacing.
The S season was my favorite actually and I rather liked how the pacing was mainly because we get to see a lot of slice of life with all the characters and learn about them slowly instead of how series often rush things nowadays.

In fact, it was no more than two months ago that I decided to watch Sailor Moon all over again starting from the end of the first season. I've forgotten how much I enjoy this series; I was quite surprised. The last time I've laughed that much was from School Rumble. However School Rumble's style of comedy is more slapstick while Sailor Moon was just plain silliness. I enjoy both either way.

I'm not sure by "quality" you mean art style or direction of the story. As for the art style, I did not feel it went downhill after, quite the opposite actually. If you mean the direction of the story, then I would have to agree, I couldn't wait to get to the next episode because I was just not enjoying it as much as previous seasons.
Old 2012-07-25, 16:00   Link #340
xizro345
King's Justice

Well technically speaking they weren't bad di per se. The story though... urgh. I remember also a lot of people didn't like at all how Ami was handled post-S, since she was one of the most popular characters.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo