AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-24, 09:27   Link #1
NeoChan
Banned

Guys Loving Anything Cute (Anime Series to Cute Collections)

Have anyone felt being weird for liking cute stuffs and watching magical girls which others normally will think as shows for children or for girls?

Personally, I encountered such so called "persecutions" and its sometimes depressing.... wanting to lock myself.. giggling and smiling alone while watching my favorite anime.

*Note: I straight
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 09:36   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
Personally, I encountered such so called "persecutions" and its sometimes depressing
I felt the same way too... my nephew (13 years old) who watches actions animes like Naruto and Bleach once raise his eye brows when he seen me watching Rinne no Langrage and other popular girl theme animes then talking how I like the costumes to the point in questioning my gender... WTF?!

*headlocks my nephew

No one mocks the Jerseys and Madoka!!

I have the same reaction from my cousins and aunts too...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 09:51   Link #3
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

From an objective standpoint most babies are cute but I hate them. On the other hand,there are other cute things I like. I think it depends on your definition of cute.
Old 2012-03-24, 11:32   Link #4
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It's ingrained into a lot of cultures that masculinity is to be associated with manliness, no matter how extreme, while cute is discouraged. It's also a given that the term 'sexy' is more sought after than 'cute' within the Western world. Some things have changed, in the sense of the metrosexual/manscaper, but cute or liking it is still discouraged.

Some of my relatives watch a bit, mainly ones I've suggested to that aren't too far removed from Western styles/content/settings. I'm gradually working on them. Because when your mother thinks Lelouch from Code Geass is female, that is amusing yet scary.

As for cuteness, I like it to a certain degree. I have a bit of merch in that vein but not a lot. I have friends that are into it way more. Making sure they don't cross the line in public is a bit of a chore but most of them have enough sense not to. Although one of them drives around with merchandise in his car, which makes for amusing times.

I think what may be offputting to some people is that the more extreme end of the cute fandom talk about it only and nothing else. They're harder to associate with at times because they don't understand not everyone likes cute or that people have a right to like a variety or not meet their rastes. If a cute fan can understand that, I'll associate with them. If not, I'll politely walk away.
Old 2012-03-24, 11:48   Link #5
Kyuu
=^^=

No. If Hatsune Miku isn't cute, would anyone like her? Probably a few.

I like cats. I like cute girls. LOLIs are fine, for the sake of being cute, and nothing more (ya sickos). And how could anyone hate a cute puppy?

Especially regarding cute girls, what's wrong with being a guy who likes the cute stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan
Personally, I encountered such so called "persecutions"
Are you a rural person, by any chance?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 12:25   Link #6
mecharobot

I've always found it funny how liking something cute, light and soft is considered gay for a man to like, while admiring the glistenings chests of muscular guys wrestling with each other is totally straight.

I'm not sure do I like it just because. I mean I do watch mahou shoujo anime and love sentimental things like Aria, but it has always been more about how I like the direct presentation of positive themes in them. Something like K-On on the other hand I don't really like at all. So I guess I like it, but not so much because of the way it looks, but rather how well it manages to convey its themes to me.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 12:42   Link #7
gsilver

Hey, I'm a guy, and I'm proud to say that I like Precure, Akazukin Chacha, and Please Save My Earth.

I like Kaiji and Monster, too.
Old 2012-03-24, 13:47   Link #8
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
I've always found it funny how liking something cute, light and soft is considered gay for a man to like, while admiring the glistenings chests of muscular guys wrestling with each other is totally straight.
Indeed. You'd think that a guy liking a cute girl is just following his hormones while I question the inclinations of a man who exercises to a poster of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

...But then, what about traps?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 15:06   Link #9
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Traps to mean Hideyoshi?
Old 2012-03-24, 16:24   Link #10
Echoes

I would be lying if I said I never felt a little bit awkward about it, especially when marveling at something particularly girly, e.g. my volumes of Sailor Moon manga.

However, I am not in the least bit ashamed or uncomfortable about in general. I'm not actually someone who admires anything that is considered cute. Like DarkyPwnz, I'm not especially fond of babies, for instance. Nor am I someone who goes wild whenever they see a kitten, puppy or the like. (I'm very fond of nature, but in general more for its beauty and grace, rather than its cuteness.) When it comes to obsessing over and idolizing cuteness, it's generally confined to the world of anime.

I haven't had many people confront me about it, as I rarely bring up my interest in anime, much less my specific love for cuteness and moe, so I can't truly say how comfortable I would be talking about it "publicly", but in my heart of hearts, I feel no shame. It is something I take great joy in, and something that makes me experience wonderful, positive emotions that I wouldn't trade for the world. It doesn't make me question my sexuality, not even slightly, and being called, or perceived as, "gay" is near the bottom of my list of concerns. Right down there with worrying about the world coming to an end in December this year.
Old 2012-03-24, 16:33   Link #11
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Traps to mean Hideyoshi?
Not only Hideyoshi, but traps can also mean anything like Jun Watarase.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 16:35   Link #12
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I used to hate everything cute and moe. It came off as bit too over the top and exaggerating when I see the character artwork. And people liking it were getting on my nerves at least where I live. Maybe if I had a chance to look at better anime with cute characters, I would have loved it.

My first encounter with cute girls doing something was Lucky Star, I didn't like it at all and I still don't like anything about it. For some reason, it's weird but I really don't enjoy anything to do with Key works. I despise with passion, ironically, I've watched almost everything by them beside Air.

I must say I become hesitant and insecure to liking moe anime. Even though, all my close friends know that I'm interested in them, I cannot really enjoy them without feeling a bit embarrassed. As a result, I'm only comfortable in my own small and dark room. I cannot even look at my family straight. I guess I'm just too paranoid and insecure.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 16:55   Link #13
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

HELL. NO.

I'm a sucker for cutesy animation and I'm an even bigger sucker for bright and colourful things. I also love adorable voices and just looking at the creative fashion choices of anime characters. Moe certainly isn't a substitute for plot and development though, I'll definitely admit that.

It's certainly not something to share with the general public, especially the narrow-minded people around here that go around listening to one artist while hating on everything else, and talk about Japan as if it's the land of the devil himself. "Sorry bud, thought you'd be bored of the brown and grey we ALWAYS see around here."

Call me crazy, but I really do like the cute aspects of anime.
Old 2012-03-24, 17:20   Link #14
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Call me crazy, but I really do like the cute aspects of anime.
I'll prepare the straitjacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I also love adorable voices
That is such a huge part of it, isn't it? Just today I was going through a bunch of old fighting games with a group of friends and stumbled upon Soul Calibur III. Got Talim on a random and recognized Tamura Yukari's voice immediately. That just made my day, and I couldn't stop picking her after that, the voice alone completely sold the character.

It's one of the reasons why I often prefer manga to anime. Japanese voice actresses in particular just know how to bring out the cutest aspects of a character to a degree I've never seen matched, or even challenged, anywhere else.
Old 2012-03-24, 17:43   Link #15
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I'll prepare the straitjacket.
Perfect, I don't even have to ask for it.

Quote:
That is such a huge part of it, isn't it? Just today I was going through a bunch of old fighting games with a group of friends and stumbled upon Soul Calibur III. Got Talim on a random and recognized Tamura Yukari's voice immediately. That just made my day, and I couldn't stop picking her after that, the voice alone completely sold the character.

It's one of the reasons why I often prefer manga to anime. Japanese voice actresses in particular just know how to bring out the cutest aspects of a character to a degree I've never seen matched, or even challenged, anywhere else.
Bahahaha, I ALWAYS played Talim. It was probably because she was a nimble and swift little bugger though; I always pick the agile over the heavy hitters. But yeah, it's pretty awesome how they can do that; I always think it's because they generally put so much more effort into portrayal of their characters rather than just getting through it like many do here. That and the characters themselves are multi-dimensional, not just stereotypical quote-blurters.
Old 2012-03-24, 17:56   Link #16
Extremesonic101

I know how people feel :P I once found an anime shop (can't find much of those were I live :/ ) and in it I found the Prop Plus Petite firgurines of Yui and Ui from K-ON! I was so extatic and insta-bought them.

When I went to the cash desk the woman took the figures, looked at them, than me and was like "Seriously? your buying these for yourself?" and than she kind of laughed at me and I told her K-ON is the shit!
Extremesonic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 18:29   Link #17
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, I think it bears consideration that, even within Japan, the stereotype is still that anime is for children (minus a few "acceptable" mainstream family shows and producers), and young adults who keep watching and enjoying anime long after they were "supposed to grow out of it" are at best odd.

But regarding "cute", as others have alluded to, I think there are two different but related aspects:

1. There's the sort of "girlish cute things" that you might see in shows aimed at young girls (lots of pink, cute outfits, cute mascot characters, etc...)
2. There's the female character aesthetic that emphasizes "cute" (as opposed to Western-style "sexy") that you might see even in shows aimed towards boys and men

I'm not necessarily sure just how related these two points are, but I feel like they might be a bit different. It's certainly true that they sometimes overlap, though.

The first issue is sort of akin to a boy who plays with dolls, or plays house with the girls during recess rather than playing sports with the boys. (As someone with two younger sisters and who was always more friendly with girls than with guys, this was partly me growing up. ) Particularly if you watched some shoujo anime growing up (like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura, etc.), you may still have some affinity for these sorts of shows when you're older. They also now make shows explicitly to appeal to those sorts of fans (like Lyrical Nanoha, Madoka Magica, etc.)

The second issue is a sort of character design aesthetic that's very common in anime (and related industries) that isn't necessarily understood by the uninitiated. I'm not even sure how you'd even explain the aesthetic and why it's attractive since it's just lines on a page or a screen. I think here too someone might have been influenced if they watched certain anime when they were growing up, but I'm not sure. Some people find the idea that "cartoon characters" that look cute can also be attractive (even sexually attractive) to men to be disturbing.

Both of these sorts of stereotypes/prejudices are why I don't tend to bring up my anime fandom to people at random. It's certainly not because I think there's anything wrong with my liking what I like, but it's annoying to feel like you have to defend your interests to others. People can be scared of what they don't understand, so sometimes it can be more... efficacious... for them to remain ignorant. But that's why we have the Internet!
Old 2012-03-24, 21:45   Link #18
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

There nothing wrong with liking cute things if your a dude it just stops at clothes
Old 2012-03-25, 04:29   Link #19
Qikz

As someone who likes cute things, I don't think there's too much of a problem with it. Ok, I'm not fitting to the stereotypical "bloke" image, but I don't really care. I can like what I want and it just so happens that it's cute girls/puppies/kittens/mascot characters/cute things in general. ^^
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 05:41   Link #20
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, there needs to be a certain line drawn, but I hate how general things are labelled by society as "girly" or "manly". Why aren't women allowed to play sports, and why aren't men allowed to cook? It's not "manly" enough for one to like cute things. I'm sorry you want to fill the world with housekeeping mothers and weightlifting men.