AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 15 15.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 18.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 30.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 12.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 5.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.00%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-04-05, 12:08   Link #21
ZeroForever

I was feeling generous and gave it a 7, honestly first half was probably 8 and the 2nd half was more of a 4~5, so it really should have been more of a 6.5. It was enjoyable, but a bit to much fanservice but I generally like Buri more then the Imagine preacher though. The side characters of saten + crew were much better then the missing index, though i did miss some of the others.
Old 2010-04-07, 09:40   Link #22
Primary Consult

Animation Quality: 9.5
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 8
Soundtrack: 9
Editing: 8
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 9

And also, Sound Effects: 10. Much improved over their Index counterparts, especially since I've heard Touma's Index Imagine Breaker sfx in Shana, but the one for Railgun seems unique.

Overall: 9
A few parts had... weird animation issues (ie: Kuroko vs Trick Art), so that was -.5
Script, some of the lines were pretty cheesy (and I checked like 3 groups to make sure it wasn't just bad translating).
Editing takes a hit due to the poor balance between fanservice and seriousness early on.
Enjoyment: 10, a majority of episodes have at least one scene I can rewatch and enjoy, that's actually kindof rare.

The science side of Academy City with its levels and rules always interested me more than the magic side of the ToAru-verse. The magic side *could* have rules and things of that nature as well, so perhaps it will develop in interest for me later, but for now I will prefer Railgun over Index. That and the Deep Blood arc bored me into dropping Index for a while, nothing in Railgun ever made me consider dropping.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 17:09   Link #23
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 5
Soundtrack: 8
Editing: 6
Enjoyment: 7
Emotional Involvement: 8

Overall: 7

Railgun was enjoyable but I still find Index to be better because of the general plot and structure overall. Railgun had both high quality animation and voice actors (Kuroko's voice was PERFECT). I quite enjoyed the OP/ED themes (LEVEL5 -judgelight- is awesome) although the bgm is basically the same as Index's.

However, the weakness of Railgun is the writing. The latter half of the series is painfully weak. I know they tried to tie in all of the fillers into the ending, but it really didn't work that well. It was rather predictable too. You could clearly guess that Misaka would finish off Beato- I mean, Telestina off with a railgun.

As for Saten's struggles with being a powerless Level 0 and Kiyama's struggle to save the children, they were quite touching and relatable. Railgun's emotional involvement was pretty good.
SuzushinaYuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 20:51   Link #24
thefeared

Voice Actors: 7
Script: 2
Soundtrack: 7
Editing: 7
Enjoyment: 5
Emotional Involvement: 0

Overall: 6

Argh, it's really sad when the filler episodes are more fun to watch than the plot filled ones. None of it really made any sense and I only kept watching because Misaka and Kuroko are interesting characters. Oh, Saten and Uiharu need to die, seriously. They are two of the most annoyingly stupid characters I've ever seen.
thefeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 04:42   Link #25
kyosak
poo

What's all the talk about "bad script"? Can someone give me some examples? The actual dialogue and not from subtitles please if possible.

I don't remember being especially bothered by any of the dialogue ...
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 07:50   Link #26
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
What's all the talk about "bad script"? Can someone give me some examples? The actual dialogue and not from subtitles please if possible.

I don't remember being especially bothered by any of the dialogue ...
They probably mean the plot/storyline rather than dialogue.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 16:08   Link #27
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The characters, specifically Uiharu, Saten, Kiyama and Mii Konori, were really what kept me watching Railgun.

Misaka's character isn't good. She's a bog-standard tsundere with near-godlike power; watching her blow shit up was much more entertaining than her extremely predictable and dull interactions with other characters.

And Kuroko was much, much more tolerable in the manga. In the anime she reminds me too heavily of the ridiculosity of Sakuya from Candy Boy.

Saten > all, though. Uiharu would be in the lead except for her Chickification and Heroic BSOD during the Ability Crystal arc.
Old 2010-04-20, 12:15   Link #28
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Wait, is both To Aru & Nanoha are same company (JC Staff)?
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 16:15   Link #29
Miraluka
Banned

No, they aren't.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 15:25   Link #30
Eliminator

To be honest, I prefer the manga over the anime. It seems after the 12th episode, it went downhill, aside from some Touma cameos, and that Mikoto herself was being out of character.

The multiple shoujo-ai scenes were annoying and cliched, always the same response. Episodes 13-24 to me were a gigantic series of fillers and filler arcs and didn't really keep me entertained. But the animation and voice actors are good.

The anime to me is probably a 6. It was good at first but it was a disappointment in the end. It's okay... but not for me.
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 19:10   Link #31
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The "fillers" must be there, to note. The manga is chronological, and is forced to leave out certain details for the story to move on. OTOH, the anime tries to explain the different science phenomena for the next season (if ever).

What the fillers explained:
> The involvement of the Kihara family in Academy City's dark side (later Kihara Amata will give Accelerator the battle of his life as his guardian)
> The creation of the Crystallized Esper Essence (which "AIM Stalker" Takitsubo Rikou takes in large amounts)
> Battles by Misaka Mikoto (a transition between the tsundere Mikoto to a more serious one)
> etc, etc.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 19:53   Link #32
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The "fillers" must be there, to note. The manga is chronological, and is forced to leave out certain details for the story to move on. OTOH, the anime tries to explain the different science phenomena for the next season (if ever).

What the fillers explained:
1.- The involvement of the Kihara family in Academy City's dark side (later Kihara Amata will give Accelerator the battle of his life as his guardian)
2.- The creation of the Crystallized Esper Essence (which "AIM Stalker" Takitsubo Rikou takes in large amounts)
3.- Battles by Misaka Mikoto (a transition between the tsundere Mikoto to a more serious one)
1. Totall.
2.- Its not confirmed yet if the C.E.E. is the "powder" which Rikou used.
3.- No, not yet, even in the novels not yet.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 18:41   Link #33
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I honestly don't know if there is anyone who read the manga before can enjoy the anime after "Level Upper" arc. Being a manga reader, I was anticipating for the anime, and you can safely say that I'm very disappointed.

Dropped it halfway, then went back and watched the rest of 'em later just to realize it's better to just stay where I stopped.
Old 2010-05-31, 21:02   Link #34
pampz21
ShipCore

Voice Actors: 9
Script: 3
Soundtrack: 7
Editing: 4
Enjoyment: 3
Emotional Involvement: 1

Overall : 5 / 10

First of all need more protagonist...male leads,... cuz it suck with just Touma and BiriBiri interacting....well personaly I only watch this to see how Touma's life before he lost his memory but....I'd rather see the manga....cuz there you really know its going in the same timeline as index and well i was hopping seeing Touma asskiking fist fight against Accel...or the Delinquents in Gakuen Toshi!

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 10:26   Link #35
CapoExecutor
In R'lyeh where he dreams

Anyone check out the DVD extra "Motto Marutto Railgun"?

ACQUIRING COMPLETE.
CapoExecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 12:33   Link #36
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoExecutor View Post
Anyone check out the DVD extra "Motto Marutto Railgun"?
If it is the extra I think you are talking about, they were being discussed here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=79331&page=28
Old 2010-06-24, 16:15   Link #37
Sigsig

Animation Quality: 10 (no qualms about this)
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 8
Soundtrack: 9
Editing: 10
Enjoyment: 9
Emotional Involvement: - (This isn't a factor when I judge anime ^^)

Overall: 9/10

I prefer Index over Railgun anytime, but I feel that the script for Railgun is more well-written, and there isn't any long and draggy speeches such as those (notable Touma) in Index.
I'd prefer if Railgun shows more Touma though; I'm a Misaka x Touma shipper :P
Some parts in Railguns are like.. fillers though. Unlike Index which doesn't have any -- they go according to novel, even if its not elaborated fully
That said, I prefer Railgun over Index for script, but the latter more, for the potential it has

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post

I think the one thing that really bugged me about Index was Touma ... The way he is always throwing his body out to try and save random strangers was just too illogical for me to take, lol.
And what was with introducing Index as this important figure, and then just
Chronic Hero Syndrome
Sigsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 03:30   Link #38
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
(wrong topic)

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-09-05 at 05:06. Reason: oops
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 03:43   Link #39
Xenosnake
Badass

Congrats on writing all that in the wrong topic.
Xenosnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 23:52   Link #40
Fome

As usual, I'm late to the scene for another anime. I decided to watch this on a whim and it instantly became one of my favorites, so I'm honestly surprised by the lukewarm reception it seems to be getting on this forum. People are complaining about filler, but I thought those episodes were a lot of fun and helped develop the characters. People complain about the writing, but I thought this had some of the most natural, believable dialogue of its genre. I particularly liked Saten Ruiko, whose voice actor did a fantastic job of depicting her repressed yearning for real powers like all her friends, without making it sappy or overbearing. As everyone mentions, the animation is nigh peerless, perhaps even besting Haruhi at times. There's tons of attention to detail, like subtle changes in facial expression that make every scene enjoyable to dissect. Action scenes, while sparse, are exhilarating to watch and make Misaka Mikoto look like a total badass.

I guess I'm the oddball as I watched 10 episodes of Index and couldn't bear any more of the genre cliches. Honestly, it's the writing in that show I can't stand. Railgun wins in my book precisely because it doesn't take itself as seriously, while portraying its admittedly overpowered protagonist as having somewhat believable interactions.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote