AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-16, 00:53   Link #4841
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
I realize Jap -> Eng translations don't always go well, but why do places like Baka-Tsuki neglect in editing these translations to something English readers can more easily understand? Every other sentence or so in Hidan no Aria, I find myself reading over thrice to understand exactly what's been said. There a reason for this? Time constraints? Boredom? Some sort of honor code?
i have no problem reading the stuff on baka-tsuki, then again, different people handle different projects so i guess it just comes down to that
Old 2011-05-16, 01:51   Link #4842
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I've been tring more often to read Light Novels recently, despite my inability to pay attention to large columns of words on a computer screen, and couldn't help but notice...

I realize Jap -> Eng translations don't always go well, but why do places like Baka-Tsuki neglect in editing these translations to something English readers can more easily understand? Every other sentence or so in Hidan no Aria, I find myself reading over thrice to understand exactly what's been said. There a reason for this? Time constraints? Boredom? Some sort of honor code?
Ah...What exactly is the problem? Too many commas? Or is it not localized enough?

I suppose that, if you aren't very good at recognizing modifiers, 'twould be hard to read.

In other news, Baka Tsuki is a wiki and anybody is free to edit it. So, don't just push your problems down on the translators and editors, it's not their job, it's not their responsibility, it's their free will. If you think you know a better way of phrasing a sentence, by all means, change it. It's not like the translators are unable to change it back if they think it'll change the meaning of the sentence.

Then again, if you're too lazy to do so, there's no reason to expect the editors or translators to do it for you.

Last edited by Icy.Tear; 2011-05-16 at 02:05.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 03:00   Link #4843
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well it's a forum I regulate so banning me wasn't nice .. It only lasts a week but what annoys me is the way moderators work there. Some mods there ban you just for the sake of banning .. cause it's fun. For example, if you post anime you're sure to get a ban because the mods think anime is something sick <.<

And about the game .. The way I said it was that I bought the game from Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet so I dl'ed the game to try it and practice it in the meantime so I'll be ready for multiplayer. But apparently I got banned because I was trying to ask for '' help '' for a game that was pirated and that's supposedly not allowed. The only think I asked for '' help '' was how to change resolution because I didn't see 1920x1080 in the list and was wondering why <.<
Old 2011-05-16, 03:05   Link #4844
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

As far as I know, "onii-chan" is a cuter call for older brother, especially from a younger sister. Did the sister still using it if she turn into wrinkly old ladies and her brother still live long enough?

I can't imagine Kirino( or any imouto-type girls of your choice) calling her brother as "onii-chan" when she is 80 and Kyousuke is 83.

Not to stereotype the Japanese people but the Japanese have longest average lifespan.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 09:34   Link #4845
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Ah...What exactly is the problem? Too many commas? Or is it not localized enough?

I suppose that, if you aren't very good at recognizing modifiers, 'twould be hard to read.

In other news, Baka Tsuki is a wiki and anybody is free to edit it. So, don't just push your problems down on the translators and editors, it's not their job, it's not their responsibility, it's their free will. If you think you know a better way of phrasing a sentence, by all means, change it. It's not like the translators are unable to change it back if they think it'll change the meaning of the sentence.

Then again, if you're too lazy to do so, there's no reason to expect the editors or translators to do it for you.
Hey now. No need to be accusatory. I didn't know that just anyone could join, despite being a wiki. I only assume there was some sort of rule on who could, given their status as a translator of Japanese texts (which, if you didn't know, I cannot do). Either way, I never said it was their duty, I only asked if there was a reason they didn't. But thanks for answering?
Old 2011-05-16, 14:22   Link #4846
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I'm still not sure what's wrong...If you don't tell me what's wrong, how do I fix it? You say that it's hard to understand, but I'm not sure why that is.
Old 2011-05-16, 19:10   Link #4847
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
As far as I know, "onii-chan" is a cuter call for older brother, especially from a younger sister. Did the sister still using it if she turn into wrinkly old ladies and her brother still live long enough?

I can't imagine Kirino( or any imouto-type girls of your choice) calling her brother as "onii-chan" when she is 80 and Kyousuke is 83.

Not to stereotype the Japanese people but the Japanese have longest average lifespan.
It would depend on how close of a relationship/bond they have still, I mean I've seen some characters do it or similar words to their siblings at ages of 30~40, so I mean it's possible.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 19:52   Link #4848
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
I'm still not sure what's wrong...If you don't tell me what's wrong, how do I fix it? You say that it's hard to understand, but I'm not sure why that is.
Various reasons as to why I am sometimes confused by the writing:

Quote:
If you want to ask what happened to Aria and Shirayuki, it’s obviously separated like light and darkness.
Shouldn't it be: "If you were to ask about what happened between Aria and Shirayuki, it is obvious they are seperated like light and darkness"

Quote:
Reports, no, little affairs spread abnormally quickly
Even in context, I still have no idea what this is saying. Something along the lines of, "rumors spread quickly"?

Quote:
As for the other one, Muto…his face showed that he wanted to ask something, but was difficult to say. Well, Muto’s face being weird is something normal anyway.
?

"As for the other boy, Muto; his face showed that he wanted to ask something, but it was difficult to say. Well, Muto's face is normally weird."

---------------------------

Many of these sentences are so amalgamated with useless, sometimes confusing words. The strangeness of it detracts my attention. Could just be me. This is what confuses me. Why is it left translated like this? If I were to sign up, would I be allowed to edit it?
Old 2011-05-16, 20:01   Link #4849
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
If I were to sign up, would I be allowed to edit it?
I'd say they would say yes. Why not?

I get the feeling Baka-Tsuki is always in desperate need of volunteers for all sorts of projects.

Although, I'd keep "anyway" in this sentence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras
"As for the other boy, Muto; his face showed that he wanted to ask something, but it was difficult to say. Well, Muto's face is normally weird anyway."
...for example.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 20:59   Link #4850
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Funnily enough, I wasn't the one who translated any of those sentences.

The light and darkness I agree with.

The second sentence is: yes, 'little affairs' referring to small things that happen between the students.

The third sentence is missing a copule, the sentence after that just sounds weird, but it isn't inherently wrong.

At any rate, one will inevitably mess things up when translating, so yes, editors are needed.
Old 2011-05-16, 21:20   Link #4851
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Well then great. Cause I'm going to start my run soon.
Old 2011-05-16, 21:54   Link #4852
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Why are resin conversion kits so damn expensive? its like i have to cut off my fingers with a cigar clipper

Last edited by Dragonar Fan; 2011-05-17 at 01:33.
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 22:35   Link #4853
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Maybe this is explained somewhere in the rules, or maybe there's a sticky on this, or maybe it's just general practice for some reason, but...

Why do the names of every single anime/manga/whatever on this site always get bolded? The way I've seen things happen on this site, I don't imagine speed reading does well for any discussion. So why does everyone feel so...bold? <_<
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-16, 23:01   Link #4854
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Many of these sentences are so amalgamated with useless, sometimes confusing words. The strangeness of it detracts my attention. Could just be me. This is what confuses me. Why is it left translated like this? If I were to sign up, would I be allowed to edit it?
i like the sentences you listed in their original form :/
Old 2011-05-17, 03:41   Link #4855
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Maybe this is explained somewhere in the rules, or maybe there's a sticky on this, or maybe it's just general practice for some reason, but...

Why do the names of every single anime/manga/whatever on this site always get bolded? The way I've seen things happen on this site, I don't imagine speed reading does well for any discussion. So why does everyone feel so...bold? <_<
if you're in the suggestion or general anime sub-forum, then it should make senses for the sake of drawing attention to different parts of the post and so they don't miss the title[this would be bad in the suggestion forum if they did ], since the threads are for specific criteria or elements of shows, though outside of those two sub-forums I can't say I see names get bolded often. Or maybe people just like putting [B ][ /B], without spaces, around the title for fun?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 04:17   Link #4856
HasuMasu
*Artist

oh, i have questions regarding anime

you see, when i first read about GOSICK, i kinda thought it would be like, a, um...hospital slice of life drama anime?

obviously that's not the case, so i was wondering

since i realized that well, i've never really seen an anime like that, so...

is there an anime like that?
Old 2011-05-17, 07:09   Link #4857
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
oh, i have questions regarding anime

you see, when i first read about GOSICK, i kinda thought it would be like, a, um...hospital slice of life drama anime?

obviously that's not the case, so i was wondering

since i realized that well, i've never really seen an anime like that, so...

is there an anime like that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbun_...ga_Noboru_Sora
Old 2011-05-17, 07:12   Link #4858
HasuMasu
*Artist

OH MY GOD IT DOES EXIST

thanks man, i feel like crying now
Old 2011-05-17, 07:36   Link #4859
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I have always been wondering, what do the Scots wear underneath their kilts? Do they go commando or do they wear something?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 07:40   Link #4860
naita *rain tsubaki*
Banned

lol!!! as i know... nothing O.o
naita *rain tsubaki* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious